Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I want one. I just know they'll release an AR mag version a month after I buy one.

So I wait.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I do like the GB model mini-14 with folding stock, blued finish, and FH.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Except that the Mini does not use the M14 action.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They want AR prices for those it looks like. Yikes

The scary thing is, the mini series is a bastardized ripoff of an m14 action.

I'm pretty sure you could almost build a legitimate m1a in those calibers for a competitive price to the mini's.

Does that make the M14 a bastardized ripoff of the M1 Garand action?

And the M14 doesn't use a Garand action.  It uses an incredibly similar action to fire a .308 round, instead of the Garand's 30-06.  Also, going from stripper clips to detachable magazine required some changes as well I imagine.

Likewise, the M14 being (.308) 7.62×51mm and Mini-14 being (.223) 5.56x45mm means you aren't using the exact same action when changing calibers.  Something has to be scaled down or modified.

But, What other 5.56x45mm weapon has an almost identical action?  Albeit a shrunk down version.  I always thought of it this way:  The M14 is an evolved M1 Garand and the Mini-14 a scaled down toy version of the M14.

I would not take my 583 Mini-14 into a fight (unless I had nothing else,) That is what my AR is (hopefully never) for.  My mini-14 is a scaled down toy M14 that shoots the same ammo as my ARs, that allows me to play with a Garand/M14 inspired action for much less than even a cheap M14 (granted Mini's are to expensive.) and not have to start buying another caliber.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yep, a staple in the Ruger Line.
They both are popular rifles in the Western States.
View Quote

I don't see them much out here in CO. Occasionally there's one in the rack at a gun shop but I've only seen one in the wild once or twice.

For a .223/5.56 semi-auto the AR is so vastly superior that nobody who expects to take a shot at over 300 yards would seriously consider a Mini-14 if they can get an AR. Even a basic AR carbine has better performance than the Mini-14 accuracy wise and it's cheaper. Plus the AR is easy to upgrade and parts, accessories, and mags are everywhere.

As for 7.62x39, well, the AK is cheaper, mags are everywhere, and accuracy wise it's probably a wash. More or less the same with the SKS too. You'd have to really have your heart set on a Mni-30 to wind up getting one out here.

Bottom line is that the performance to cost and hassle ratio of the Ruger Mini series rifles is not as good as other platforms on the market out here.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And the M14 doesn't use a Garand action.  It uses an incredibly similar action to fire a .308 round, instead of the Garand's 30-06.  Also, going from stripper clips to detachable magazine required some changes as well I imagine.

Likewise, the M14 being (.308) 7.62×51mm and Mini-14 being (.223) 5.56x45mm means you aren't using the exact same action when changing calibers.  Something has to be scaled down or modified.

But, What other 5.56x45mm weapon has an almost identical action?  Albeit a shrunk down version.  I always thought of it this way:  The M14 is an evolved M1 Garand and the Mini-14 a scaled down toy version of the M14.

I would not take my 583 Mini-14 into a fight (unless I had nothing else,) That is what my AR is (hopefully never) for.  My mini-14 is a scaled down toy M14 that shoots the same ammo as my ARs, that allows me to play with a Garand/M14 inspired action for much less than even a cheap M14 (granted Mini's are to expensive.) and not have to start buying another caliber.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They want AR prices for those it looks like. Yikes

The scary thing is, the mini series is a bastardized ripoff of an m14 action.

I'm pretty sure you could almost build a legitimate m1a in those calibers for a competitive price to the mini's.

Does that make the M14 a bastardized ripoff of the M1 Garand action?

The action in a Mini is far more akin to that in an M1 Carbine than an M14.  A lot more.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#6]
My Ranch Rifle groups looked like buckshot and I contemplated selling it. Then I started shooting Wolf and the groups tightened so it's still in my arsenal.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Another here in the group of those who wouldn't mind having one, but isn't interested in the least at today's prices.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The action in a Mini is far more akin to that in an M1 Carbine than an M14.  A lot more.
View Quote

I agree with that, but overall the gas-operated (short-stroke piston), rotating bolt action of the M1 Rifle, M1 Carbine, M1A/M14 or the Mini-14/30; are all very similar but aren't identical.  The primary differences depending on how and what rounds are being chambered from what info google provided.

Certainly you must agree though, that there is an obvious lineage when it comes to these weapons.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Another here in the group of those who wouldn't mind having one, but isn't interested in the least at today's prices.
View Quote

Add me to that list.  I want one, but not for the price of a decent AR.  $779 is ridiculous, I'm a buyer right this second at $399-$449 and the only accessory stuff I'm interested in is the necessary parts to make a AC556 clone out of it.(non-NFA 16" bbl, just to piss off the idiots like FeindSwein)

ETA:

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The only politically correct (for now) semi-auto in America?  Then yes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#11]
They sell like crazy here, even with cheap AR's w/ bullet buttons available for around $600.

I have an old stainless Ranch Rifle. VERY reliable as long as I had good mags and not crappy National mags or Pro mags. It will feed anything, even the dreaded Greek Olympic brand 5.56 that gave everyone's AR fits back in the early 2000's.

The pencil barrels DO have an accuracy problem. Mine grouped horribly with almost everything once the barrel got warm. The only loads it seems to like are XM193/Q3131A and Black Hills 55gr. Wolf 55 and 62gr, South African, XM855 or anything SS109 would not group well at all.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I agree with that, but overall the gas-operated (short-stroke piston), rotating bolt action of the M1 Rifle, M1 Carbine, M1A/M14 or the Mini-14/30; are all very similar but aren't identical.  The primary differences depending on how and what rounds are being chambered from what info google provided.

Certainly you must agree though, that there is an obvious lineage when it comes to these weapons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have an M1 Garand, an M1 Carbine, an M14S, and a Mini.

The Mini and Carbine are nothing like the piston system in the Garand and M14.

The Mini and Carbine use a very short stroke tappet and the piston taps the op rod and then retracts.

Garand and M14 both have long op rods that follow through the entire motion.

Take them out of the stocks and lay the action upside down on a table.  You can see the difference.

Notice that neither the Mini nor the Carbine have a gas cylinder like the M1 and M14.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The Mini and Carbine use a very short stroke tappet and the piston taps the op rod and then retracts.

Take them out of the stocks and lay the action upside down on a table.  You can see the difference.

Notice that neither the Mini nor the Carbine have a gas cylinder like the M1 and M14.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought a mini 14 was straight blow back into the carrier?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

What about the m1a and acr?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Not a piston if it is stationary. Just a fat gas tube like an ar.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#18]
double
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd love to have a Mini 30, but like everyone else, not at today's prices.

I remember fondly those days of yore when they were stacked up on gunshow tables for $300-350. Back when I didn't have $300 to piss away on guns.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#20]
double double tried to correct the spelling in the first post and got a third.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Add me to that list.  I want one, but not for the price of a decent AR.  $779 is ridiculous, I'm a buyer right this second at $399-$449 and the only accessory stuff I'm interested in is the necessary parts to make a AC556 clone out of it.(non-NFA 16" bbl, just to piss off the idiots like FeindSwein)

ETA:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/0/0f/RugerAC556_ss_Folder.jpg/500px-RugerAC556_ss_Folder.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/0/0f/RugerAC556_ss_Folder.jpg/500px-RugerAC556_ss_Folder.jpg

Are you high?

What other new production semiautomatic centerfire rifles are on the market at that price?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep.  A guy I grew up with's Dad has tons of guns.  He just won't buy anything that looks remotely "tactical" or modern "military" (wood and steel all day long though).

When he wants to impress, he breaks out the "mini".

Mr. Z's in his 80's now, and still gets to the range pretty regularly for a guy his age.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, to certain segments of society they are the "gun."

Yep.  A guy I grew up with's Dad has tons of guns.  He just won't buy anything that looks remotely "tactical" or modern "military" (wood and steel all day long though).

When he wants to impress, he breaks out the "mini".

Mr. Z's in his 80's now, and still gets to the range pretty regularly for a guy his age.

That's cool.

Once upon a time the Mini was the tactical carbine that most could own without spending too much. From the mid '70s throught the early '80s it was one of the most cost effective alternatives around. Its traditional look fit in well for the era.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No tappet in any of my Minis. With the gas impinging directly on the op-rod its function is more akin to the Garand than the carbine or M-14.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Note there were .308 Garands as well.

A fundamental difference between the Garand and the M14 is the gas system modifications. Basically the M14 is a Garand upgrade with an improved gas system, a mdetachable magazine replacing the en-bloc clip system, and chambered in a shortened cartridge.

Garand uses en-bloc clips not stripper clips. En-bloc clips are actually part part of the feeding system, unlike stripper clips.

I think Mini-14 uses a gas system more like the M1 carbine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Are you high?

What other new production semiautomatic centerfire rifles are on the market at that price?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

Are you high?

None, that's why I said I'd be a buyer in that range.  I don't see how they sell in "free states" when the 6920 right next to it on the rack is about $75 cheaper.  Dropping the price on them is the only way I can see Ruger making money on them and sales going up, but I'm not a business major so...
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Are they selling?  Then yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Are they selling?  Then yes
yep they are slightly hard to get

any we can wrangle up sell pretty quickly
Quoted:

yep there is still a decent sized anti-black rifle contingent out there still that LOVE minis

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about other M14 clones?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#29]
No need for the mini14 anymore

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#30]
nevermind already covered

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just because the original A Team used them does not make them a good gun.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I would buy one for around $450 but I can buy or build a AR for under what they are asking for them now
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No tappet in any of my Minis. With the gas impinging directly on the op-rod its function is more akin to the Garand than the carbine or M-14.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I guess I will have to get mine out and look.

Now, the Mini is DI?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, they call it a gas pipe instead of a gas tube.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are not a bad gun, either.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#37]
The Mini 14 has a fixed piston with the gas cylinder located on the face of the operating rod.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I kind of want a stainless folder but have no need for it just nostalgia..

from a practical standpoint I think the Ares-SCR is a far better option..
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I visited a LGS today.  There were several Mini-14s for sale next to ARs on the rack...and plenty of ARs priced well below the Minis.  In fact, I was surprised to see the least expensive Mini around $700.00.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a polymer mag that works in both my mini and AR. In fact it is stamped on the side that it works in several rifles. I only have the one I bought about 20 years ago.  All my others are Ruger mags.   It's a Ram Line Mac 1530. It does work. Has a special cut out in the rear slot of the mag and a mag catch hole in the front.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Now, the Mini is DI?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now, the Mini is DI?

As much as a Garand or Kalashnikov is I guess. As Fluffy pointed out the physical relationship is rather inverted but the effect is the same.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I would gladly buy a Mini if they made it take AR mags.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#44]
after watching the Mini 300 Blackout tactical....I kinda wanted one...
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

As much as a Garand or Kalashnikov is I guess. As Fluffy pointed out the physical relationship is rather inverted but the effect is the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now, the Mini is DI?

Well crap.  Got it out, no tappet.  For some reason I remembered there being one but it could be I am thinking about the Carbine.

My bad.

Gonna have to dig out my Carbine later.

Still like my Mini, weird mags and all.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would gladly buy a Mini if they made it take AR mags.
View Quote

The idea was a miniature M14 complete with rock in mags.

Ain't that big a deal.

None of my Sigs will take Glock mags but that don't bother me.  I love my Sigs, glad they don't take Glock mags.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#47]
An M1A receiver alone is $494 how do you build one for $700
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I have one of the newer Mini14 Ranch Rifles my dad gave to me. He bought it, didn't shoot it much, found out how much I wanted one, and gave it to me. My home built AR with an 18" barrel with 223wylde chamber and nice trigger runs circles around the Mini. Well, guess the Mini runs circles down range around my AR because the "newer, better" Mini is still not all that great. I've tried a strut and different ammo (including the nice Wolf brass that my AR loves) and the Mini just isn't that accurate. I'll keep the Mini though because really like how not-so-scary it looks especially with the 5 round magazine. And if I ever have to move to Canada or something I'll be able to take the Mini.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If I remember, they are ban state friendly. Ask Aimless.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Some are some arent
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Hope so.  I kinda want one of each.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top