Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/7/2016 11:23:10 PM EDT
I've shot probably 1000 rounds of 147gr +P and 180gr .40 HST in my life but have never seen anything like this.  These were 147gr standard pressure HSTs from a G43

After 100 rounds:

After 200 rounds:

Support hand after 200 rounds:

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]
no.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]
New ones are loaded with black powder. Instant Tactical Smoke Screen.

ATF regulation is coming next... same as smoke grenades.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

the weird thing is, i didn't notice any abnormal smoke at all

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I shoot the +p variant and my hands never look like that. Only time my hands even really get dirty shooting them is when I load like 20-30 mags and even then not to the extent yours are.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:23:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have noticed that 147gr HST's are a bit dirtier than RA9T in my Glocks. But not that kind of nasty.

Was this a range rental gun? Maybe it started out filthy, and ended up on your hands.

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#6]
It's not the ammunition, is it possible the pistol is unlocking early?
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Something fucky with the gun.

+1 on unlocking early.

Perfection.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It's not the ammunition, is it possible the pistol is unlocking early?
View Quote

hmm, nothing felt different and it functioned 100%.

the G43 went back to Glock when i first got it because heavier rounds would nose dive.  since i got it back i've shot probably 2000 rounds without a hiccup until these HSTs

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#9]
HST is the finest ammunition known to mankind.  Something is wrong with you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've shot probably 1000 rounds of 147gr +P and 180gr .40 HST in my life but have never seen anything like this.  These were 147gr standard pressure HSTs from a G43
View Quote

Could be a combination of the size of your dick beaters and the tiny barreled G43 having the muzzle just that much closer to your hands.  Probably won't happen with a G35.  

Look at the lens of a weapon mounted flashlight that is near (even if it doesn't overhang) the muzzle.  All kinds of shit on it after a string of fire.

ETA - Look at the distance the G43 ejection port is from your hands as compared to a G19 or G17 port.  Probably closer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 2:23:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Could be a combination of the size of your dick beaters and the tiny barreled G43 having the muzzle just that much closer to your hands.  Probably won't happen with a G35.  

Look at the lens of a weapon mounted flashlight that is near (even if it doesn't overhang) the muzzle.  All kinds of shit on it after a string of fire.

ETA - Look at the distance the G43 ejection port is from your hands as compared to a G19 or G17 port.  Probably closer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've fired thousands of other 9mm rounds through the G43 without this happening

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 2:32:28 AM EDT
[#12]
My handload hsts don't do that. Weird. Tag for answers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 2:46:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Just be glad you still have your hands.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 2:58:03 AM EDT
[#14]
yer gun is leaking
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like you need to go back and shoot it again with other ammo to compare results to see if something has changed in the gun over time.  Worn out spring?
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#16]
High moisture in the range?  Makes GSR stick to stuff(ur hand) more? Sweaty hands?
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Hanging around to find out the answer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Powder is coated in graphite to make it free flowing.  Most powders are slightly oxygen deficient and as such, graphite doesn't burn until it exits the bore and hits air..even then, only a tiny bit burns to create muzzle flash. If the muzzle pressure isn't high enough or a low flash load is used, graphite can coat the firearm.

There is also lead from the primer.  Lead styphanate.  ( lead trinitroresorcinol )
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like it was the ammo.  I ran 100 rounds of GECO 124gr and 100 rounds of Magtech 124gr through the G43 yesterday.  Powder residue on my hand was about 1/4 what it was with the HSTs and there was practically none on my support hand (just like with the 147gr HST +P I usually use) .  I'll post pics after work...

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Humblebrag thread. OP shoots expensive carry ammo like it's range ammo

I know I know train how you intend to fight. I can only afford to train with my plated bullet reloads, loaded to simulate my carry ammo.

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
HST is the finest ammunition known to mankind.  Something is wrong with you.
View Quote

Secondary markets sometimes get factory and agency rejects. We have no other choice.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Plus P portion wasted in short barrel?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
That would be one of my guesses.

Also, I just got 100 rounds of 147 HST (non- +P) the other day, and when loading up my mags my fingers looked a lot like OP's in the first pic. Seemed like the ammo was dirtier than usual on the outside.

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

this was standard pressure HST.  the +P HSTs have been very clean

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#25]
here is the result of 100 Magtech 124gr and 100 GECO 124 gr through the G43...huge difference compared to the HST and I doubt there is a lockup issue.  I've got some P9HST2 coming from SGA though to compare like to like

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Have you called Federal and asked them?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#27]
From where did you purchase that HST?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#28]
The only HST ammo I've fired is 230 gr +P.  I've never experienced that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Bone Frog Gun Club (not their fault of course).

I just got some 9HST2 from SGA that I'll try this weekend

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I told you it is the ammo.  Specifically, the graphite coating on the propellant which is depositing instead of flashing when it hits oxygen.  That is the cause of most muzzle flash if the muzzle pressure is high enough and there aren't any flash inhibitors.

Graphite is used to coat the granules to prevent caking (propellants are soft and sticky) plus it is electrically conductive, preventing static buildup.

Some propellants have more than others.  For  example, Trail Boss is nearly devoid of it and looks greenish.  Varget is another lightly coated extruded propellant.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I told you it is the ammo.  Specifically, the graphite coating on the propellant which is depositing instead of flashing when it hits oxygen.  That is the cause of most muzzle flash if the muzzle pressure is high enough and there aren't any flash inhibitors.

Graphite is used to coat the granules to prevent caking (propellants are soft and sticky) plus it is electrically conductive, preventing static buildup.

Some propellants have more than others.  For  example, Trail Boss is nearly devoid of it and looks greenish.  Varget is another lightly coated extruded propellant.

View Quote

Hey OP, Keith _J is like the smartest guy here, often reguarded as the reincarnation of Browning and the actual son of Gaston Glock... listen to him. He is actually like Heisenburg from breaking bad when it comes to "science n shit".
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

maybe the problem is the standard pressure rounds aren't getting a good burn through the G43?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Is your Glock direct impingement or piston driven?  It might be that there's a leak in the gas tube somewhere.  Check the bold carrier too.  Especially the gas key.  Make sure that fucker is staked.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Humblebrag thread. OP shoots expensive carry ammo like it's range ammo

I know I know train how you intend to fight. I can only afford to train with my plated bullet reloads, loaded to simulate my carry ammo.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Your girlfriend is a bit dirty.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Shoot smart gun range?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

I get that.  I've just never seen it this bad with previous HSTs I've fired

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Did you lube your glock with anything labeled as a "dry film" lubricant or graphite?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Did you lube your glock with anything labeled as a "dry film" lubricant or graphite?
View Quote

nope.  SLIP 2000 only

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#42]
How much oil did you lube your slide with ?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

no.  If the boxes from a different lot that I received today from SGA dont do the same, I'll just chalk it up to a funky lot and move on...

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Do you have the lot number? I bought a few boxes from Bone Frog, but I haven't shot any yet. I'll be using a Glock 17. The lot number on my boxes is U51G301.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Different lots of propellant.  It happens more due to shortages of non canister grades commonly used in factory rounds.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks. I got a couple of boxes from them recently too. I haven't fired any yet and don't have enough to do an extended test like you, but when I opened the box to look, they seemed a little dirtier than expected on the outside of the cases.  Did you notice the same?

I don't see a lot number on the boxes I have.

I'm looking forward to your report on the SGA lot.

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Thanks. I got a couple of boxes from them recently too. I haven't fired any yet and don't have enough to do an extended test like you, but when I opened the box to look, they seemed a little dirtier than expected on the outside of the cases.  Did you notice the same?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The lot number is stamped inside one of the end flaps.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too, and like I said earlier above, after I got done loading mags I noticed my fingers were filthy, much dirtier than they should have been for only loading 100 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#49]
That guy had a dirty penis.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Frostbite not slide bite.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top