User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How is the business venture going?  Are you guys moving units?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Other benefits are that you can get around most code bullshit. It's not a "permanent" structure. That does not mean they should be built shoddy, just that you don't have the asspain of inspections, and permits and such.

Aviator

How is the business venture going?  Are you guys moving units?

We both got busy with other projects during the summer. Me installing off grid power systems, him doing timber frame construction. We moved one this fall, and have a bunch of inquiries we are wading through. Just got a financing partner set up and I think things are gonna pick up real fast.

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#2]
doubletap
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Live in an RV full time in a cold climate like this its gonna mold and fall apart in 2 years.  We spray foam ours, and they are built like a house. You will also go broke trying to heat an RV up here in the winter.

I've been living in my 12x20 with half loft for 3 years now. I like it. Saving $$ doing it this way, that will eventually be a house.

Aviator
View Quote

You are an exception to the rule.

Funny you mention the cold...

My parents just tried to do a run to death valley for a few days after thanksgiving in their Winny.    First night hit 27 degrees and they did the NopeNopeNope-Badger all the way back to their home in Ventura.   Froze them out and it was only 27.

Some of the shit I see them build on "tiny homes" is everybit a fair weather RV as an actual RV.     If you are going a bit further then that is kinda cool.

But still....

Shitting 5 feet from where you cook has to get old.   Takes a special person to do that on a daily basis.     I am trying to get the girlfriend to be comfortable with leaving the bathroom door open and not feel embarassed when I feed her cute little lactose intolerant butt a ton of dairy.

Her and a tiny house, much less me, would not work.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's a fucking Joke, my tool sheds bigger! My ammo alone would fill it.... Looks like a fancy back yard shed

Probably the same left wing trash that drive Smart cars buy these.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's a fucking Joke, my tool sheds bigger! My ammo alone would fill it.... Looks like a fancy back yard shed

No offense, but what the hell?

I don't get this sentiment at all.  Why would you think that people who try to cut their overhead are "liberal trash"?  Because they don't like and buy what you like?   I imagine there are just as many conservative or libertarians who might find the freedom of being debt free, with lower overhead, attractive.  ...or do you like taking on debt, and paying annual real estate taxes?

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I do not shit 5 feet from where I eat much less cook...
View Quote

The toilet situation in many of those tiny houses is downright disgusting.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#6]
These are about as small as I could go.

General Shelters
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My parents just tried to do a run to death valley for a few days after thanksgiving in their Winny.    First night hit 27 degrees and they did the NopeNopeNope-Badger all the way back to their home in Ventura.   Froze them out and it was only 27.

Some of the shit I see them build on "tiny homes" is everybit a fair weather RV as an actual RV.     If you are going a bit further then that is kinda cool.

But still....

Shitting 5 feet from where you cook has to get old.   Takes a special person to do that on a daily basis.     I am trying to get the girlfriend to be comfortable with leaving the bathroom door open and not feel embarassed when I feed her cute little lactose intolerant butt a ton of dairy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Live in an RV full time in a cold climate like this its gonna mold and fall apart in 2 years.  We spray foam ours, and they are built like a house. You will also go broke trying to heat an RV up here in the winter.

I've been living in my 12x20 with half loft for 3 years now. I like it. Saving $$ doing it this way, that will eventually be a house.

Aviator

But still....

Yep, many of them on TV I would not live in up here. Ours with the spray foam you can heat with a 1500 watt electric heater down to -10 and be warm. I suspect a small window AC unit would freeze you out in ours down south.

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#8]
You could build out a container for a whole lot less and have more room.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a van, and a river. Who needs a tiny house?  

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No offense, but the hell?

I don't get this sentiment at all.  Why would you think that people who try to cut their overhead are "liberal trash"?  Because they don't like and buy what you like?   I imagine there are just as many conservative or libertarians who might find the freedom of being debt free, with lower overhead, attractive.  ...or do you like taking on debt, and paying annual real estate taxes?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I make my own power, so no electric bill. Have a well and septic, so no water bill. No property tax (disabled Veteran). The only bill I do have is for my cell phone and WiFi box I use to surf ARFCOM and for netflix. Cabin was built out of pocket. I go through a $80 tank of propane about every 6 months for hot water and cooking. I heat with a toyo stove that uses fuel oil and even in the winter for me its about a gallon, maybe gallon and a half a day. I kind of like it. Ant the view of Denali out my living room and bedroom windows is pretty great.

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I couldn't do it. I love my wife too much.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]
A garden shed with a sink and toilet?  No thanks.  I like to have room for more than 1 pair of shoes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I have about as much garage space as I do home space.   Attached garage at roughly 450sqft and new 875sqft garage in the back.

My house is right at 160p sqft though I only use 1 of the 3 bedrooms, 1 of 2 bathrooms, and the kitchen/living room.    I likely live in 900 sqft of the 1600sqft home.    But my bathroom is way the hell away from the kitchen and I like it that way.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife and I have talked about what a great weekend get-a-way a tiny house would be. Buy 5-10 acres and put one on a foundation. I'd want to be on the grid, and slowly reduce our dependency as time goes on. Probably never happen, but it's fun to think about.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#15]
lol
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep, I make my own power, so no electric bill. Have a well and septic, so no water bill. No property tax (disabled Veteran). The only bill I do have is for my cell phone and WiFi box I use to surf ARFCOM and for netflix. Cabin was built out of pocket. I go through a $80 tank of propane about every 6 months for hot water and cooking. I heat with a toyo stove that uses fuel oil and even in the winter for me its about a gallon, maybe gallon and a half a day. I kind of like it. Ant the view of Denali out my living room and bedroom windows is pretty great.

Aviator
View Quote

I've heard good things about the Kimberly stove.  Google it.  

The only problem is it's kind of pricey.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sorry, I don't know a single conservative that would like to live full time in tool shed and poop, eat & sleep in a 120 sq ft area gross!

How do you live in your fancy little shed and not still pay real property taxes? - without living in your rents back yard or squatting like a hippie . With 4050 sqft + plus a 30x30 garage I sometimes feel cramped I could only imagine . Maybe Ill go take my kids bikes and tractor out of the shed and spend the night in it for some fresh perspective..

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I am sorry, I don't know a single conservative that would like to live full time in tool shed and poop, eat & sleep in a 120 sq ft area gross!

How do you live in your fancy little shed and not still pay real property taxes? - without living in your rents back yard or squatting like a hippie . With 4050 sqft + plus a 30x30 garage I sometimes feel cramped I could only imagine . Maybe Ill go take my kids bikes and tractor out of the shed and spend the night in it for some fresh perspective..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm so sorry, my mistake.  I will make sure that does not happen again.  You must have very big penis.  We are very simple people with very small penis.  Tiny house people are especially small.  We can not achieve much with so small penis.  But you, penis so big, WOW,  so big.  You can achieve much.  

https://youtu.be/NADEKHmwbXE

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I have too many hobbies to live in anything that size.

- cooking & preserving & canning stuff

- guns

- desktop computer

- TV of decent size with movies

- a cat

- tabletop gaming

- camping

- here we have four distinct seasons, so three sets of clothing of various weights

Hell, just the ingredients for the stuff I like to make once in a while is bigger than ALL the storage in those things.  Oh, and fuck laundromats.  Live there, and you are going twice a week to wash.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm so sorry, my mistake.  I will make sure that does not happen again.  You must have very big penis.  We are very simple people with very small penis.  Tiny house people are especially small.  We can not achieve much with so small penis.  But you, penis so big, WOW,  so big.  You can achieve much.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep a whole lot of WTF in this thread. Obviously there are much better people in this world, with better plans, and bigger lives. Not sure I even qualify to BE on AR15.com...

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep a whole lot of WTF in this thread. Obviously there are much better people in this world, with better plans, and bigger lives. Not sure I even qualify to BE on AR15.com...

Aviator
View Quote

I applaud you for living off the grid, literally. I loved your cabin build thread and the tent living in AK was a hoot. You got balls.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm cool with the concept until I get to the bathroom.

I need a real shower.

View Quote

Outdoor showers are the big thing now. Mine is about an acre or so in size with a great veiw of the creek and a cool bedrock ledge.

(Not kidding, I put one of those propane showers down on my creek and use it almost daily. It's awesome to be out there with no one around and lots of room. Fuck those little 500sqft bathrooms you rich people like.)

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Tiny houses are like mobile homes for hipsters.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#25]
If I were single I would seriously consider a small sqft house or cabin, but I don't get the travel trailer on steroids tiny house thing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I could do one of the shipping container houses. As long as there was a few of em. No tiny house though, no room for guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#27]
If I was single and no kids I would live in a studio above a 4 bay garage.  That's about as small as I would go.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#28]
If for some reason i decided i wanted a tiny house i think i would start with a shipping container.
Something like a 45ft box just to simplify the constuction
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I could almost do a tiny house if I were living away from home for a short time.

Shit, I think if I were to ever hit the lottery, I'd buy a nice RV and live in it for a while. I'd still like to have an actual house, a home base to keep most of my shit.

I like a lot of the cool space management things they come up with in small houses and apartments. I've seen some cool shit done in places like NYC, San Francisco and Hong Kong.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The tiny housa show on TV is ridiculous.  The prices are crazy and the people shopping are always looking for more storage.  Hey dumbfucks, buy a real house.

That being said, i want one but the wife says no.

View Quote

We watched that show for a while...couldn't handle it any more.

"Next up is a spacious 360sf home for $80k..."

The fuck you say...and it's dry? Go fuck yourself.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I can see myself living in one of those once I retire and if my wife passes first, not because I want to minimize my ecological footprint, but rather because I just won't give a damn anymore, but it's still more comfortable than a tent.

Basically a place to be alone with God and my demons until the Lord calls me home...
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#32]
They're called ice shacks here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I just can't figure out why the local mobile home manufacturers haven't started marketing these. A "park model" home is essentially the same thing.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I like the idea of a small house.  If I ever am single again I will probably build a small house with a garage and a foul weather bunker.

Also, to address the naysayers.. it all depends on what you choose to do with your money.  Some people do the whole small house deal and sock away those hundreds of thousands into savings instead.. or have another house somewhere else/yacht etc.

It's a tempting lifestyle but I don't believe that I can convince wifey to go along with it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#35]
When your only options are a million dollar fixer upper or a 50 thousand tiny home, the tiny home makes sense.
In most parts of the country, not so much.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#36]
If I was single, it would be an option, but not with a wife and four kids. I have seen that tiny house show, I am guessing that most are built on trailers to avoid building codes?
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Does it come with a hole in the middle for the tree trunk?
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Must be Japanese
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#39]
These are really cool to me but are a long,expensive stretch from a shed on a utility trailer

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I can't believe what they charge for these things. I could build a couple two bedroom houses for the price of some of these. Makes no sense at all. When did carpentry become rocket surgery? No way are they worth what some people seem to think they are. But a fool and their money
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I've seen designs that had regular sized showers installed.  Not huge showers mind you, but normal sized showers nonetheless.  As far as toilets, it appears that everything from a regular house toilet, RV style flush toilet, or composting toilet can be used.  I even saw one guy on youtube that installed a propane incinerating toilet (I never knew that was a thing).

One thing I have a question about is why not go ahead and increase the width of the "tiny homes".  I guess if mobility was your priority you'd want to keep them under oversized limits so you wouldn't have to get permits.  But in many states an oversized permit isn't all that expensive to get ($100-200), and moving a 10' or 11' wide 20-28' trailer can't be that much more difficult than moving an 8.5' wide trailer.  ...which can't be fun.  

For those that think they're going to be in a location long-term, say at least a year or more, that extra width might come in handy for making it "feel" more liveable.  A 10'x20' main living space to me would feel more usable than a 7 or 7.5' narrow living space.  Some of the designs I've seen it's the narrowness of the designs that is more claustrophobic than even the tiny overall dimensions.  (The hallways in many homes aren't much more narrow than these houses)

Again, I guess it depends on the objective.  If a person is going to travel around a lot the smaller dimensions make sense, but in that case, ...why not just get an RV?   I think most of those living in these homes stay in one place longer than your average RV'er.

This guy built an oversized "tiny house", which for a single guy doesn't look all that bad.  I think he could have gone with a slightly longer trailer and ended up with what would amount to a fairly normal sized feeling studio apartment.  

His design is a 10'x20', but I think if he went with a 10'x24' or even a 10'x28' he could have ended up with a pretty cool pad.  The slightly wider profile really does seem to make a difference.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I have lived in a 600 sq ft log house for almost 20 years.
It is in the woods on a 1/2 acre. Paid off for 11 years.
I am happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have lived in a 600 sq ft log house for almost 20 years.
It is in the woods on a 1/2 acre. Paid off for 11 years.
I am happy with it.
View Quote

At one time, these would have just been called "houses".   A lot of people lived in "tiny" houses.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#46]
No thank you.  My home is crowded with just my wife and my dog and I. So, I can't imagine something that small. Heck, if anything I'd rather go bigger for my house.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:55:16 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I agree.  Many of the designs are very limited.  But I think that's the idea.  The initial outlay is cheaper, the maintenance, and utilities are cheaper too.  If a person were so inclined, they're probably easier to make "off grid".  With solar panels, and propane, and maybe a backup Honda generator, a person could live without the grid.  It should be fairly easy to generate roughly 900-1000 amps from the rooftop of a shed roof, and short of running AC that'd be more than enough for lighting, maybe some ceiling fans, and electronics in house that size.  Throw in a Kimberly stove, and you'd be set for many regions.  

That part of it would be attractive.  

Although I'd probably go for one of the longer "tiny homes".   I saw some with 12' ceilings which would probably reduce some of the claustrophobia.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the difference between that and a mobile home?  I get the whole minimalist thing, but it seems like instead of finding the "minimum space to live" people are attempting to "live in a minimum space."

The Tiny House show is horrible as well.  I only saw a few episodes but one had a hockey player trying to build a tiny house and the host's suggestion was to get rid of his hockey equipment to fit... really?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/Mobile_Home.JPG/1200px-Mobile_Home.JPG

I agree.  Many of the designs are very limited.  But I think that's the idea.  The initial outlay is cheaper, the maintenance, and utilities are cheaper too.  If a person were so inclined, they're probably easier to make "off grid".  With solar panels, and propane, and maybe a backup Honda generator, a person could live without the grid.  It should be fairly easy to generate roughly 900-1000 amps from the rooftop of a shed roof, and short of running AC that'd be more than enough for lighting, maybe some ceiling fans, and electronics in house that size.  Throw in a Kimberly stove, and you'd be set for many regions.  

That part of it would be attractive.  

Although I'd probably go for one of the longer "tiny homes".   I saw some with 12' ceilings which would probably reduce some of the claustrophobia.  

A couple near my uncle does this, but the guy built it himself and they rent a spot on a farm. They did it to pay down student loans and build up their savings. Pretty much off the grid. Solar panels and propane for heat/cooking. Internet and phone via cellular. Composting toilet. Potable water delivered. No TV, watch shows on computer or tablets. They reduce their rent by helping out on the farm. The 1 thing that they do that is way out there is they don't have an indoor shower. They shower at work or gym. In summer they use those solar bag showers. IIRC their monthly expenses total is $700/month (rent, fuel, groceries, cell phone etc)

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:55:57 AM EDT
[#48]

My house has five bathrooms.  So no.

My ammo wouldn't fit in there.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top