Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pilot of both?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Pilot of both?  

I wish.  I can just about handle the little one.  I can, however, tell the big one what to do.

And while this ain't the Hiller, it does do the same work.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The Little Foot came today!  It was a Christmas present from my dad.  It turns out he also bought electronics with it so I'm going to have to return the stuff I bought.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:09:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Little Foot came today!  It was a Christmas present from my dad.  It turns out he also bought electronics with it so I'm going to have to return the stuff I bought.

View Quote

Dang that looks good..   Keep the pics coming.. I kinda think I want one.

I had my Seawind out on the lake today...  Unfortunately it was like 37°..  Brrr

-J
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc302/RaptorFuel/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsoxc5wh3h.jpeg

View Quote

That is badass.  I would move to Idaho and spend the rest of my life with a STOL plane if I could.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I had my Seawind out on the lake today...  Unfortunately it was like 37°..  Brrr

https://scontent.fmci1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/t31.0-8/10636726_1201824376512331_2604768473851680207_o.jpg

-J
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scontent.fmci1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/t31.0-8/10636726_1201824376512331_2604768473851680207_o.jpg

-J

How'd it do on the water?
Mine is assembled but unfortunately I'm back at work till the 13th.

RaptorFuel, keep some spares.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-J

It's difficult to describe...

For comparison the Tidewater is AWESOME in the water... You can land sloppy, sideways, cross-wind, or in heavy waves (for a lake) and it does just fine.  The Seawind does ok on the water, but you can definitely mess up.  You need to be mindful of the direction of the wind, and the chop, and whether the plane is up on step or not, and you need to keep the wings level so you don't get a tip in the water.  Landings need to be just right to avoid bounces.  So, now I'm afraid I made it sound like it's a pain on the water, and it's really not.  You CAN grease it on, even in some chop.  And take-offs aren't bad as long as you pay a little attention to what you're doing.  For me, as an experienced water flyer, it's pretty ideal.  Because I need to try to make good landings, and then I'm rewarded with a good landing.  But if I get careless, it looks like shit.  If you've flown the Icon A5 it is similar in water handling.  The major difference between the Icon and the Seawind is that the hatch on the Icon is sealed very well.  The Seawind can and will take on some water if you put the nose under water.  I'd definitely suggest water-proofing your receiver.  As I'm sure you noticed the ESC, retract unit, and light unit are all sealed from the factory.

I haven't had the Seawind out on really glassy water yet.  I'm looking forward to that.  I think it will be really awesome there.

-J
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

For comparison the Tidewater is AWESOME in the water... You can land sloppy, sideways, cross-wind, or in heavy waves (for a lake) and it does just fine.  The Seawind does ok on the water, but you can definitely mess up.  You need to be mindful of the direction of the wind, and the chop, and whether the plane is up on step or not, and you need to keep the wings level so you don't get a tip in the water.  Landings need to be just right to avoid bounces.  So, now I'm afraid I made it sound like it's a pain on the water, and it's really not.  You CAN grease it on, even in some chop.  And take-offs aren't bad as long as you pay a little attention to what you're doing.  For me, as an experienced water flyer, it's pretty ideal.  Because I need to try to make good landings, and then I'm rewarded with a good landing.  But if I get careless, it looks like shit.  If you've flown the Icon A5 it is similar in water handling.  The major difference between the Icon and the Seawind is that the hatch on the Icon is sealed very well.  The Seawind can and will take on some water if you put the nose under water.  I'd definitely suggest water-proofing your receiver.  As I'm sure you noticed the ESC, retract unit, and light unit are all sealed from the factory.

I haven't had the Seawind out on really glassy water yet.  I'm looking forward to that.  I think it will be really awesome there.

-J
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-J

-J

I bet so high a trustline would make things interesting.   I have a set of floats for my Mentor just sitting here.  I really want to try it, but everything around here is saltwater.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Great thread!

Could one of you helicopter pilots indulge me a question?

Back in the eighties I flew .61 powered nitro machines, but haven't touched one since. The little Blade electrics look very intriguing. I'm looking at either the 230 or the 450. Is the larger 450 too much machine for someone who hasn't flown in thirty years? The smaller one has a panic/safe mode. Do I need that?

Thank you in advance for your guidance

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Great thread!

Back in the eighties I flew .61 powered nitro machines, but haven't touched one since. The little Blade electrics look very intriguing. I'm looking at either the 230 or the 450. Is the larger 450 too much machine for someone who hasn't flown in thirty years? The smaller one has a panic/safe mode. Do I need that?

View Quote

Well, things are a lot different now.  The gyros are truly light years ahead of the old mechanical ones.

My experience with the smaller Blade series is generally if you hit throttle hold as soon as you realize you are going to crash there is little if any damage.  They are also sorta safe for flying indoors.  A 450 sized machine is still a dangerous machine, but much more capable outside.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Great thread!

View Quote

I would NOT recommend a 450 class helo for just getting back into it.  You can literally kill yourself with one of them.

You could get a 200 SRX if you want fixed pitch (which you may for starters), or a 230 if you want a CP helo.

Or, my suggestion would be to get a mCPX BL; CP with a fixed rear rotor.  Allows some level of acrobatics.  Fairly durable.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Getting there.  New charger and power supply came in today.  1000watt 24v of awesome.  Also my Mini Protos just because.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Getting there.  New charger and power supply came in today.  1000watt 24v of awesome.  Also my Mini Protos just because.
View Quote

Looks great!

-J
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would NOT recommend a 450 class helo for just getting back into it.  You can literally kill yourself with one of them.

You could get a 200 SRX if you want fixed pitch (which you may for starters), or a 230 if you want a CP helo.

Or, my suggestion would be to get a mCPX BL; CP with a fixed rear rotor.  Allows some level of acrobatics.  Fairly durable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great thread!

I like the 230 as well.. I few another guy's at the club field.

That said, if you were pretty good with the nitro flybar stuff in the 80s, you'll probably pick up the new flybarless stuff pretty fast.  Maybe get a flight sim (Phoenix has the best physics, but not the best graphics.  Physics are what's important).  See how you do on the sim and then go from there.

You can do one of two things... Either start off with training wheels and micros, like the 230.  OR go for a 600-700 size electric.  The bigger stuff absolutely flies better, is easier to see, and slower to get out of shape.  I would not recommend starting with a 450 no matter what.

-J
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc302/RaptorFuel/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspbjwkgbd.jpeg

View Quote

Does your wife know you have taken over the dining room table?  

When we got married my wife had her perfect "guest" room.  We never had guests, so...it now how 12 feet of kitchen counter top and a metric ton of airplanes.  Wife isn't so amused, but my 4yo thinks dad's room is cool  

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

When we got married my wife had her perfect "guest" room.  We never had guests, so...it now how 12 feet of kitchen counter top and a metric ton of airplanes.  Wife isn't so amused, but my 4yo thinks dad's room is cool  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc302/RaptorFuel/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspbjwkgbd.jpeg

The problem is my work bench is covered in reloading stuff and gun parts.  At least I put cardboard down.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm liking the Little Foot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the input all
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

My buddy has its big brother...

-J
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's the highest I remember seeing... probably Maxamps or some other higher-end manufacturer. A lot of low-end Lipos are now rated to charge at 3c-8c.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
why would you need a 1kw 6S charger? You should only be charging your batteries at 1C. You got a 40,000 mAh 6S pack?

it is out of the ordinary, but that said....I have a 24,000mAh lithium ion 6S pack.  I use two B6AC chargers, with two balance leads.

Even the crappy lipos can be charged safely at 2c, and there are many out there that can be charged at 15c.    

My little foamy batteries get charged at 5c.

When did 15C charging get to be safe?  Guess I'm outta the loop.

That's the highest I remember seeing... probably Maxamps or some other higher-end manufacturer. A lot of low-end Lipos are now rated to charge at 3c-8c.

Thats crazy....but i've been out of RC for about 4 years...saves A LOT of time charging
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#20]
With all the snow around, its been hard to get my FPV fix. I downloaded Liftoff the other day and it is really improving my flying (in the game anyway).

Here's a short clip of me flying one of the courses. The capture is bad quality, the actual game looks much better.

https://youtu.be/no3h-1VJC78
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I got a toy level quad for Christmas, not sure of this thread is for me
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:33:21 AM EDT
[#22]
My Little Foot it built and ready to fly.  Except I have a bad cold.  Probably going to have to wait until next weekend for the maiden.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

With all the snow around, its been hard to get my FPV fix. I downloaded Liftoff the other day and it is really improving my flying (in the game anyway).

Here's a short clip of me flying one of the courses. The capture is bad quality, the actual game looks much better.

https://youtu.be/no3h-1VJC78
View Quote

Been tempted to buy that, but I hear mixed things about it.  I am working on being able to use my googles with it too.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#24]
new personal best. 10.6 miles per GPS numbers.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 7:21:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is, we all started somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBZh-yra2Ec
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of the new toy stuff is as good as the hobby stuff from 10 years ago.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Flew the Nano CPX tonight.  Been at least 18 months since I flew a helicopter.  Holy crap, talk about flying to be a perishable skill.  I guess it will be a while before I am hovering inverted again.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Batteries are charging.  When they are done I'm headed out to maiden the Little Foot and sight in a new Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#30]
The Little Foot flew great!
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Nosed over on the "last" landing and messed up the prop.  I ordered a couple replacement props so no flying until next weekend.  The Little Foot has no suspension just hard tires and stiff aluminum landing gear so I ordered some balloon tires to make landing on hard bumpy surfaces easier.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Nosed over on the "last" landing and messed up the prop.  I ordered a couple replacement props so no flying until next weekend.  The Little Foot has no suspension just hard tires and stiff aluminum landing gear so I ordered some balloon tires to make landing on hard bumpy surfaces easier.  
View Quote

I assume it's because you are in Idaho and you are landing on frozen tundra?

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone try out the RMRC Hellbender 122 yet? Looks pretty cool and under 250grams.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#34]
RF how big are the stock tires on the Littlefoot?
could you get some big Dubro's on it to soften the landings?
I forget the name of the big wheels folks are putting on the Carbon-Z Cub but
they are like 6.5" diameter.

On another note, I get to maiden the Seawind this weekend. Off the strip and hopefully the pond.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I ordered some 3.5 inch Dubros which came in today.  I think I should have gone with the 4 inchers but these should work.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

power of the 5.8?
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:10:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
power of the 5.8?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

power of the 5.8?
No 5.8. Running 800Mw of 433 on the control with direction antenna on the Transmitter and a 2.4ghz Video TX with about the same power with a 13.5 DB antenna on the Rx.

Not a fan of 5.8 a light breeze blows and you lose video. I run it on my Rc truck to play with but I hate that too. I need to figure out how to put UHF on a pistol grip radio so I can use 2.4 video on that too.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought a Blade Inductrix.  I kinda like it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I bought a Blade Inductrix.  I kinda like it.
View Quote

Saw that one this weekend, how does it compare to a regular open prop quad?

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Its my only quad but from what I've read the Inductrix is super stable and quiet compared to other micro quads.  I'm enjoying throwing it around my living room.  Now I need an FPV quad .

ETA:  I'm looking at the RS90 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2474278

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Its my only quad but from what I've read the Inductrix is super stable and quiet compared to other micro quads.  I'm enjoying throwing it around my living room.  Now I need an FPV quad .

ETA:  I'm looking at the RS90 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2474278

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have looked at that before, but anything that small has got to be a handful to fly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have looked at that before, but anything that small has got to be a handful to fly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, It is SUPER stable in safe mode. So much so that my eight year old daughter is doing pretty well with it. Don't get me wrong, her first pack or two resulted in it looking like a jet ball bounced REALLY hard.

Boing - FLOOR - Boing - CEILING - Boing - FLOOR - Etc...

After she got the throttle/collective under control, she got better at flying circuits. In fact, she is now chasing the dog around the house

One BIG thing I think I need to point out is it's survivability. This thing has crashed so many times that I can not really give you an exact number. When you are learning, time spent flying instead of fixing really helps to keep from getting discouraged. I speak from personal experience

Now that I am getting pretty good with the thing, I am thinking of expanding to indoor FPV -----> Inductrix FPV retrofit - AWESOME!!!

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#43]
wow, its been a while since i've been keeping track of the goings on in RC flying.  I went to look up the specs on the little foot and found out that 3dhs is now part of extreme flight.  i guess that explains why Jesky went out on his own.  Here's my 3dhs 42 slick:

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

wow, its been a while since i've been keeping track of the goings on in RC flying.  I went to look up the specs on the little foot and found out that 3dhs is now part of extreme flight.  i guess that explains why Jesky went out on his own.  Here's my 3dhs 42 slick:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj151/bryanjstrong/Planes/photo.jpg
View Quote
Jesky was getting treated like crap well before that.

Good choice BTW, the Slick is one of the very few 3DHS planes I really like I just finished putting servos into my repaired Vyper, now it's time for a maiden... it's a bit beat up though, so I don't know how long it will last.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Actually, It is SUPER stable in safe mode. So much so that my eight year old daughter is doing pretty well with it. Don't get me wrong, her first pack or two resulted in it looking like a jet ball bounced REALLY hard.

After she got the throttle/collective under control, she got better at flying circuits. In fact, she is now chasing the dog around the house

One BIG thing I think I need to point out is it's survivability. This thing has crashed so many times that I can not really give you an exact number. When you are learning, time spent flying instead of fixing really helps to keep from getting discouraged. I speak from personal experience

Now that I am getting pretty good with the thing, I am thinking of expanding to indoor FPV -----> Inductrix FPV retrofit - AWESOME!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I put my name in to be put on the list for one.  Not that I needed it, but..
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Fortnately we live miles from any place that gets snow, so I managed to get in a few flights on my new-to-me ST Models Salto.  It has a little popup ducted fan to get up to altitude.  It scoots along nicely.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Fortnately we live miles from any place that gets snow, so I managed to get in a few flights on my new-to-me ST Models Salto.  It has a little popup ducted fan to get up to altitude.  It scoots along nicely.  

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/broken_reticle/small_salto.jpg
View Quote

Nice!!!

I have one of these on order and will be here Tuesday: Sexy Italian bird...

Here is the canopy I want to get when it becomes available:

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Finally got to maiden the Seawind yesterday morning before the wind picked up.
Nice flying bird with no bad tendencies that I can see. Will try to get her on the pond
this upcoming weekend for her sea trials. I'm stoked.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Nice!!!

http://www.helifreak.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=628521&d=1452181135

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice!!!

That is one sexy beast.  I keep thinking I need to get back into helis again.  Considering how my heli flying normally goes it is kinda handy Ricks is a local shop.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That is one sexy beast.  I keep thinking I need to get back into helis again.  Considering how my heli flying normally goes it is kinda handy Ricks is a local shop.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!!!

That is still me on heli's. I am a glutton for punishment, I suppose... One of the reasons for me wanting to go giant size is that things seem to "slow down" and not feel like I am trying to control a gnat on crack. Am I going to crash it? Yep. But I am hoping it will help me out with smoothing out my flights. That, and it is just plain cool.

I read something over on helifreak a while back that is appropriate to my flying style:

I am not doing 3D (aerobatics), I am just trying to land!!!

Page / 6
Top Top