BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:07:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Same here.  And I second what you said, thanks for posting this RJeff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the info RJeff, never saw anything about this before (then again I own my own business and don't spend moar than .5 hours on teh interwebs per week).

Same here.  And I second what you said, thanks for posting this RJeff.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:08:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Jesus I'd rather deploy with a primary arms advanced micro dot then any Eo tech.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:15:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone know if this affects pre-L3 EOTechs?  I bought mine over 12 years ago before they got bought out by L3 and everything I am reading mentions stuff made in the past decade.  I do love the reticle, don't want to get rid of it unless I have to.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:16:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a EOTech 511, had a issue with it (drain battery) and emailed them.  They refused to fix it and offered a coupon to go towards buying another one from their website.  I got online found a repair kit/part for $32 dollars, issue is gone and so is my dealings with EOTech ever again.

EDIT, when I say refused, I don't mean they didn't want to cover it under warranty.  I mean they would not repair it even though I would be paying for the cost of the repair, they would not even let me send it in to look at it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:17:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if this affects pre-L3 EOTechs?  I bought mine over 12 years ago before they got bought out by L3 and everything I am reading mentions stuff made in the past decade.  I do love the reticle, don't want to get rid of it unless I have to.
View Quote

I mean, nobody is going to repossess your Eotech or anything.

They all have problems, the design is flawed. If you like yours keep using it though, no one will stop you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:21:57 AM EDT
[#6]
in before fuck troy!!

but seriously, this fucking trumps anything troy ever did... what a disgrace
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:33:00 AM EDT
[#7]
This disclaimer is currently listed
at the bottom of Eotech's specifications link:

"Disclaimers:

EOTech users will often experience a point of impact shift away from the point of aim when the sight is used at a temperature different from the temperature at which the sight was zeroed. The point of aim shift may be greater the more extreme the temperature change. To achieve optimum accuracy, the sight should be re-zeroed whenever the temperature changes from the temperature at which the sight was zeroed.
   All EOTech sights exhibit a varying degree of parallax depending on operating conditions."

Looks like they left out the Nitrogen Purge leak findings.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:39:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I only have two. Both have failed. Fuck EoTech. Fooled me twice. Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:40:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They all have problems, the design is flawed. If you like yours keep using it though, no one will stop you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never said anyone was going to take it from me I just don't want to trust my life to a flawed design.  It has worked great for me but I go shooting in the desert during the daytime so I've never shot it anywhere near freezing.  Everything I see mentions being made in the last decade which I believe is about the time L3 bought them out and as I said mine is older than that.  I also wondering if being painted makes a difference to them for RMA, but if the thing was defective out of the box years before any paint was applied...
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:40:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Shitty goofy loking sights.

I'll take an Elcan.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:46:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lol. People are treating EoTechs like as if Mattel just put out an urgent warning that a popular kids toy they produce is severily defective and will cause serious injury or death.

Give me a break.

Eotechs are fine.
View Quote

did no one ever teach you how to read?
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:51:14 AM EDT
[#12]
If anyone tries to send back a NV capable Eotech, and they do not take it, IM me please. I need optics for two rifles for my son.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Apparently NSWC Crane started catching on in the past few years due to all the units they were having to send back due to delamination issues.  Also, according to the filing, the Norwegian military became aware of these issues during contract testing in 2007.  Eotech acknowledged and confirmed that their results were accurate.  The Norwegian military eventually chose whatever optic that Eotech was competing against (presumably Aimpoint) even though Eotech tried to undercut the competitor by 50%.

For whatever reason, neither Eotech nor the Norwegian military appears to have shared any of this with anybody.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kind of interesting because in all pictures world wide the split between Eotech and Aimpoint seem pretty even. I know it often comes down to price more often than not, but you'd think this would have caught on quicker by those who use them. To the point they would have stopped selling without any lawsuits or whatnot.

Apparently NSWC Crane started catching on in the past few years due to all the units they were having to send back due to delamination issues.  Also, according to the filing, the Norwegian military became aware of these issues during contract testing in 2007.  Eotech acknowledged and confirmed that their results were accurate.  The Norwegian military eventually chose whatever optic that Eotech was competing against (presumably Aimpoint) even though Eotech tried to undercut the competitor by 50%.

For whatever reason, neither Eotech nor the Norwegian military appears to have shared any of this with anybody.

God damn, I used the Norwegians as an example of why they probably chose aim points over eotechs a month back. They definitely see the temp ranges mentioned by eotech. Funny thing is when I mentioned the Norwegians using Aim points I didn't actually know they had done testing to see that eotechs were fucked
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:52:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn, I just read the entire 40 page PDF.

If this was some Chinese company supplying their military, that Mangano cat would just be taken out back and shot.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:55:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Damn, I just read the entire 40 page PDF.

If this was some Chinese company supplying their military, that Mangano cat would just be taken out back and shot.

View Quote

Hell yeah. Too bad EO isn't in Texas. DEATH PENALTY!
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:06:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Holy shit!  I just looked at my 553.  If you divide the window into tenths horizontally, by the time the reticle is at 30% from the left, I would estimate it at 1/3 brightlness.  At the 20% interval, it is about 1/2 brightness and it goes down quick from there.  Moving the reticle to the top, bottom, or right of the window I only see maybe a 10% decrease in brightness.  This unit has been used (before replacing with a 1-4 optic last year) quite a bit but never in the rain, show, etc.  

On a 552 which is on a rifle I built for my father maybe 6-7 years ago, and has NEVER been exposed to the elements, it is FAR worse.  By the time the reticle is 40% from the left, it is down 30% brightness.  By the time it is 20% from the left, it is barely visible.  Like the 553, there is at most a 10% decrease in brightness from the center to the top and bottom, and maybe 15% from the center to the right side.  Like I said, this EoTech came out of the package, got mounted, the rifle sighted in, then sat in a controlled environment safe for seven years.  Save for changing batteries once a year, the sight was never even turned on.

I'm going to check the 511 I loaned to a friend for his first AR (he can't decide what optic to buy) tomorrow.  That is a unit that was rebuilt a few years ago by EoTech.

Both sights show severe dimming toward the left.

I guess i know what I'm doing in the morning.  Gotta decide on which Aimpoints I want and the matching Larue mounts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:22:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Just checked mine, made in February 2005 which is the oldest year EOTech has on the dropdown for manufacture date on the RMA form.  What did everyone else use as the reason for return?
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:28:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Already sent in my XPS 2-2 Friday. Haven't even zeroed it in yet on my rifle, but I figured why risk it. So I bought a TA33 instead.

Trijicon 2016
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:31:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Just checked mine, made in February 2005 which is the oldest year EOTech has on the dropdown for manufacture date on the RMA form.  What did everyone else use as the reason for return?
View Quote
Word for word, here's what I put in the first box.

"Recent findings have indicated that high humidity and temperature fluctuations result in deviations from a battle zero and poa/poi discrepancies. As I would have been using this as an optic on a home defense and vehicle ready carbine, I do not believe that this optic is suitable for my needs."

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#20]

No Eotech ever passed the very first evaluation I gave it. So, I never bought one of those awkward, clunky fucking things to begin with, so, I have zero fucks to give.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:44:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Check page 6 of the "refund" thread I linked in the OP.  A member details how to go about setting up the RMA form.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:54:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 6:03:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Damned shame. Their optics work really well with NODs... When they work.

I only ever encountered issues with batteries and wandering zero on earlier EOTech's. I had hoped that with the transverse mounted battery of the EXPS/XPS and doubtless internal improvements, those issues had been resolved.

I hope Trijicon can pick up the slack... Or maybe EOTech can get back in the game by 1: Firing everyone involved in covering anything up. 2: Public apology. 3: Releasing a new optic which resolves the issues. 4: Several public third party tests of the new optic in every damned condition imaginable.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:11:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So if I RMA'd my EXPS 3-2 in tan to them... what would be clone correct??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FWIW, according to this thread in the optics forum, Eotech is refunding the purchase price for any Eotech you own via RMA which appears to be the first ethical action the company has taken in a long time.

Time to join the elcan master race.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I painted mine and the s/n is gone, guess Ill try and see what happens.
View Quote

I'm curious about this also.  I wonder if they are serialized internally?
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I think I'm going to run some tests with mine.  Not sure if I could get it cold enough, but ill shoot some, test for POI, then throw in a cooler with shit ton of ice for a few hours and immediately test again.

Is it possible that would get it cold enough or no?
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to run some tests with mine.  Not sure if I could get it cold enough, but ill shoot some, test for POI, then throw in a cooler with shit ton of ice for a few hours and immediately test again.

View Quote

Might not be cold enough, can you get liquid nitrogen?
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dry ice. Fairly common.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Dry ice. Fairly common.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dry ice. Fairly common.

I wanted to make an eotechcicle.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I love eotech and defended them before.....

Not anymore. Fuck them.
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#31]
The fault ultimately lies with EOTech but:

1) didn't anyone do a first article test to verify that they met the spec?

2) didn't anyone train with them in cold weather?

Shouldn't have taken 10 years to find this out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#32]
OK so what are some EOTech alternatives?  I do have an astigmatism and would really like to keep a similar style reticle as the XPS2-2.  Keeping similar FOV would be a bonus at this point.  Is there anything out there that would fall into that category?

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking realistic temperature.  Not trying to reach -100 degrees.

I think if I could get it around 0 degrees and test I would be satisfied.  

I don't know of many places I would ever go to that would get colder than that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FWIW, according to this thread in the optics forum, Eotech is refunding the purchase price for any Eotech you own via RMA which appears to be the first ethical action the company has taken in a long time.

Aimpoint m68 or comp m3 or acog  TA31 RCO
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Boom. Headshot.

Quoted:

says the guy who can't drop it in the larue thread!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're doing this topic again?

says the guy who can't drop it in the larue thread!

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:18:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Boom. Headshot.

View Quote

Not with an EOTech
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#37]
A quick perusal of the EE shows eotechs selling at ridiculously high prices, as usual.  I'm waiting for the reactionary idiots to start selling theirs cheap before I pick up more of them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not with an EOTech
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boom. Headshot.

Not with an EOTech

*zero only valid if shooting at same temperature, elevation, time, and date as when zeroed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Tag for home.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Fuck that, send them back to Eotech and they'll cut you a check for MSRP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please send me your defective EOTechs for disposal.

I didn't here this.....I have one that was purchased a few years ago I'd like to send in. No receipt anymore. Will they just scratch me a check no questions asked? It bothers me to own one now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm looking everywhere for my fucks to give. Still haven't found any...
View Quote

So are you a muslim jihadist, or some commie?

Whatever you think you are, fuck you - and I hope you really don't live here in the USA.  

Good men probably died by having that shit equipment.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Whatever you think you are, fuck you - and I hope you really don't live here in the USA.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't go that far.

The gear is shit though, that is true.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

According to the court filing, the Norwegian military experienced a noticeable POI shift at temperatures as high as 32* F.  I would imagine that a cooler with some ice would easily get it down to that temperature.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I didn't here this.....I have one that was purchased a few years ago I'd like to send in. No receipt anymore. Will they just scratch me a check no questions asked? It bothers me to own one now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please send me your defective EOTechs for disposal.

Look for the link at the bottom of my OP.  It appears some guys are getting a refund without and "proof of purchase."  I'm sending in an RMA this morning for the one remaining Eotech that I have and I also don't have a receipt.  I'll post here with any response I get.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Snip

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip

Hey man, I'd edit your post.  No sense getting a timeout over a troll.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#46]
i was planning an EOtech purchase but after hearing about all this yesterday, I bought an Aimpoint.

L3 will never see a dime from me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

*zero only valid if shooting at same temperature, elevation, time, and date as when zeroed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boom. Headshot.

Not with an EOTech

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I love eotech and defended them before.....

Not anymore. Fuck them.
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Right, because years ago you knew what no one else did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is why I always buy Aimpoint

Right, because years ago you knew what no one else did.

Everyone that's been paying attention has known about these issues for years. I've had these discussions with EOTech military reps for years though they never fessed up. I returned my freebie T&E sight in 2002 because it shifted zero to the tune of 8" at 50 yards.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I am sure you are cool with spending $500-600 on an optic that is knowingly defective?

Bro....I have an ncstar scope that you would fucking LOVE. Only $400.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol. People are treating EoTechs like as if Mattel just put out an urgent warning that a popular kids toy they produce is severily defective and will cause serious injury or death.
Give me a break.
Eotechs are fine.

I am sure you are cool with spending $500-600 on an optic that is knowingly defective?

Bro....I have an ncstar scope that you would fucking LOVE. Only $400.

Insinuating *defective* at "extreme" temperatures.

We don't have extreme temps in TX.

Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top