Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2015 7:42:52 AM EDT
Original Article Link

An Ann Arbor, Mich.-based weapons contractor agreed to pay the government $25 million last month for having knowingly delivered flawed holographic rifle sights to the FBI and the Defense and Homeland Security departments.

EOTech, according to the government’s complaint released Monday by the Defense Department inspector general, knew during seven years of sales that there were deficiencies in its weapon sights -- designed to allow users to find a target and return fire -- in environments with extreme heat or cold.

The subsidiary of L3 Communications Corp. has long manufactured and sold “combat optical sights” that can be mounted on weapons used by special operations forces, primarily at the U.S. Naval Surface Warfare Center in Crane, Ind.

Company president Paul Mangano and others “became aware that design defects in EOTech's sights caused them to fail in cold temperature and in humid environments,” said the complaint, filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. Yet the manufacturer was required to alert the government of “any and all performance related data that would positively and negatively impact the reliability, maintainability, availability and/or supportability” of the device.

The problems were not caught until the FBI did tests in May 2015.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Original Article Link

An Ann Arbor, Mich.-based weapons contractor agreed to pay the government $25 million last month for having knowingly delivered flawed holographic rifle sights to the FBI and the Defense and Homeland Security departments.

EOTech, according to the government’s complaint released Monday by the Defense Department inspector general, knew during seven years of sales that there were deficiencies in its weapon sights -- designed to allow users to find a target and return fire -- in environments with extreme heat or cold.

The subsidiary of L3 Communications Corp. has long manufactured and sold “combat optical sights” that can be mounted on weapons used by special operations forces, primarily at the U.S. Naval Surface Warfare Center in Crane, Ind.

Company president Paul Mangano and others “became aware that design defects in EOTech's sights caused them to fail in cold temperature and in humid environments,” said the complaint, filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. Yet the manufacturer was required to alert the government of “any and all performance related data that would positively and negatively impact the reliability, maintainability, availability and/or supportability” of the device.

The problems were not caught until the FBI did tests in May 2015.
View Quote

Lots of threads on this already.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Again?
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#3]
they dont call em EOCrap for nothin
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they dont call em EOCrap for nothin
View Quote

I thought it was IFFYTech?
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:59:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Arfcom Dupe Cops are gonna take op for a walk around the block for certain.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine goes bang very time I pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

It shouldn't do that

My eotech 512 has never gone bang.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

It must get expensive buying a new one after every shot.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Optic and rifle functions are independent. So even with the eotech in a box, your rifle will go bang when you put the trigger
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It shouldn't do that

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It shouldn't do that

I was simply offering the typical Arfcom response that's given when a particular piece of equipment or type of ammo is found by legitimate sources  to be wanting.

I bought a  Holosight back in 2005 and it's still perfectly reliable but now, due to the recent revelations, I'm afraid to take it into battle in the event that the Lizard Men finally attack.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was simply offering the typical Arfcom response that's given when a particular piece of equipment or type of ammo is found by legitimate sources  to be wanting.

I bought a  Holosight back in 2005 and it's still perfectly reliable but now, due to the recent revelations, I'm afraid to take it into battle in the event that the Lizard Men finally attack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It shouldn't do that

They are pretty scary  
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine has three rails!
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#13]
and yet they still want 500$ for them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

It would be interesting to see sales numbers in the past few weeks.

I actually purchased one.  I've never had a problem, but I also don't deploy with them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Clearly this is all a giant conspiracy since we all know the SEAL don't use defective equipment.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I like my EOTech but in light of the fact it may fail me on a cold range day I shouldn't be expected to pay more than $87 for one. In fact, I demand government subsidized EOTechs. Think of my children.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I have three or four of them.  They always seem to work, don't drain the batteries, I hit pretty well with them and I can see the reticles with my old eyes.  However, I an NOT an "operator."  
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I have two, and they are . . . Meh.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#19]
So the military has been successfully using the sight for 20 years and then the FBI comes along and determines it is unfit for service? Lol. The same FBI that helped handgun ammo and cartridge development and then went back to saying mid bore pistol rounds are best (because their recruits are apparently not proficient with larger rounds). Piss on them, my 552 has lived up to expectations. It has been an awesome sight.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I think this solves the argument which is better aimpoint or eotech.

In before the eotech fanbois are butthurt.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#21]
In before backwards-Eotech cop picture.

Actually we've had Eotechs on our shotguns for 8 years now.  No issues with any of them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Were all of the cops installing them correctly?

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

In before backwards-Eotech cop picture.

Actually we've had Eotechs on our shotguns for 8 years now.  No issues with any of them.
View Quote
Damnit, I was a little too slow, I blame my 3G cell connection.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I perused the court document, and even the delamination issue on newer ones is mentioned lol. Quite a mess
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Odd, when I wrote them about my XPs wandering zero they explained how that was impossible with their sight. Moved 2-3 moa @ 200 yards off the bench 2 or 3 times a year. Shooting at 8 inch plates at 200 in 3G competition it was frustrating. The FBI information explains it perfectly.

For CQ it would be fine. But for accuracy work not so much.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Odd, when I wrote them about my XPs wandering zero they explained how that was impossible with their sight. Moved 2-3 moa @ 200 yards off the bench 2 or 3 times a year. Shooting at 8 inch plates at 200 in 3G competition it was frustrating. The FBI information explains it perfectly.

For CQ it would be fine. But for accuracy work not so much.
View Quote

Just out of curiosity, what kind of conditions are you shooting in? I've had an EXPS on my rifle for almost 3 years now and I can easily and repeatedly smack the 200 yd steel, still using the original zero from when I put the sight on. And it gets pretty damn hot n' muggy here in N. Florida.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#27]
POST COUNT BITCHES!

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I perused the court document, and even the delamination issue on newer ones is mentioned lol. Quite a mess
View Quote

I don't really understand why people get so emotionally involved with a mass-produced object, indistinguishable from thousands of others. It's not like grand pappy carried it al El Alemein and it has sentimental value.

If it works to your satisfaction, then great. But there's no reason to get emotionally defensive about it like I see some do. I mean these documents are pretty damning and conclusive. I guess some are afraid of feeling like a rube, but there's no shame in admitting you made a mistake. I bought three of them and every one failed, and I also used Fireclean exclusively on a couple guns. No big deal, I just learned the lesson, moved on, and won't buy any more of either.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I don't really understand why people get so emotionally involved
with a mass-produced object, indistinguishable from thousands of others. It's not like grand pappy carried it al El Alemein and it has sentimental value.

If it works to your satisfaction, then great. But there's no reason to get emotionally defensive about it like I see some do. I mean these documents are pretty damning and conclusive. I guess some are afraid of feeling like a rube, but there's no shame in admitting you made a mistake. I bought three of them and every one failed, and I also used Fireclean exclusively on a couple guns. No big deal, I just learned the lesson, moved on, and won't buy any more of either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

with a mass-produced object, indistinguishable from thousands of others. It's not like grand pappy carried it al El Alemein and it has sentimental value.

When people spend $400+ on an optical product, and it's a turd, they have a right to become emotionally involved.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#30]
GD is full of seal team delta operators who break eothingys
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I don't really understand why people get so emotionally involved with a mass-produced object, indistinguishable from thousands of others. It's not like grand pappy carried it al El Alemein and it has sentimental value.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they're $500-fucking-dollars a piece, new!  How the hell can you say, "don't really understand how people can get emotionally involved?"  If you have $2000 worth of them sitting in your safe you wouldn't be concerned or pissed?  Oh, just go get a new Aimpoint, or MRO...

You must have thousands to throw away on "making mistakes."  Mistake?  No mistake about it as you bought something you believed to be of quality and reliable.  

Most bassackwards post yet on this subject...

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#32]

That's how all the "tier one" guys do it. Yo......
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's how all the "tier one" guys do it. Yo......
View All Quotes

You should see the looks on people's faces when I show them this photo.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When people spend $400+ on an optical product, and it's a turd, they have a right to become emotionally involved.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was referring to those that defend them in the face of overwhelming evidence, but then again you've never displayed a propensity to properly reading and comprehending my posts any way.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I would guess it looks like

Because most people won't know what's wrong
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Because they're $500-fucking-dollars a piece, new!  How the hell can you say, "don't really understand how people can get emotionally involved?"  If you have $2000 worth of them sitting in your safe you wouldn't be concerned or pissed?  Oh, just go get a new Aimpoint, or MRO...

You must have thousands to throw away on "making mistakes."  Mistake?  No mistake about it as you bought something you believed to be of quality and reliable.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And another one. Sometimes I don't know why I compose posts of more than two sentences on this site... Hint: you're not trying to find a way to defend them and excuse your purchase in the face of evidence, so you're not who I'm talking about.

And I bought two of them when I first got into ARs and didn't know better, then in a moment of weakness a newer one later to see for myself if they had improved(and it was a clonish build) Oh well. And yes, I'm financially stable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top