Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/30/2015 10:05:22 AM EDT
Thanksgiving Day was spent at my mother-in-laws.  Aunts, cousins etc.  MY MOTHER IN LAW IS A SHITTY COOK.  Always has been.  Thanksgiving has always been at our house, wife and I are excellent cooks and always put out a decent spread.

This year, MIL wants it here at her house.  Her new boyfriend, her mother, her sister, her sisters kids, grandkids, plus my wife and our kids.  Fine.  I agree to go.

Was a debacle.  One 12 lb turkey for twenty people.  Grandma cooked it because MIL was late from driving out to pick up her boyfriend.  Cooked it too long at too low a temp;  popup thermometer didn't pop.  I get picked to carve.  She has TWO knives in the house that aren't butter knives.  A bread knife and a steak knife, both serrated.  WTF.  I have a Kershaw that I use for butchering deer, it's razor sharp.  Literally can't cut the meat from the bone, try as I might.  Meat is hard and dry.  For sides MIL has a green bean/mushroom soup casserole and a broccoli/velveeta casserole and a package of 12 croissant rolls.  No potatoes, no gravy, no cranberry sauce.  One package of generic stuffing.

Meal sucked so yesterday we did it right at our house.  Turkeys were on clearance at Wal Mart so we bought several on Black Friday.  Yesterday I roast two.  Stuffing with sausage, onion, celery, potatoes, gravy, rolls, Texas toast, cranberry sauce, roast squash, green beans, some greens with bacon, the whole nine yards.

When the meal was over we had a two gallon ziplock of sliced turkey, light and dark meat, everything off one bird.  Second bird is untouched, wrapped and put in the fridge.  Son #1 was working 2nd shift and got home last night around 3am.  Instead of taking turkey from the huge bag in the front of the fridge, he moves the bag, takes out the tupperwares of potatoes, stuffing, etc, and pulls out the wrapped whole turkey.  Carves into one side with a knife and fork, eating off the turkey bit by bite, basically one entire side, plus drumstick.  Puts turkey back in fridge, replaces bag of sliced turkey and the containers of sides.

I get up at 6:30 to take out the garbage and feed the livestock.  Open the fridge and see how he destroyed what was going to be another family meal this week.  Nine am and I'm still pissed.  I expect this kind of shit from my four year old daughter, son is freaking eighteen.  Haven't gone in to talk to him about it. I'm too pissed, if I go in there now he's gonna say he didn't think he did anything wrong or he didn't know there was sliced turkey in a bag.  The bag he had to pick up and move to take the wrapped whole turkey out of the fridge.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#1]
...it's just a turkey bro
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#2]
First world problems.....

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Teens gonna teen

I have a 20 yo in College. Hit a curb and debeaded 2 tires. Then drove on to his apartment.

Go hug your kid and tell him you love him even though he's a dumbass.

We lost a son at 16. 15 years ago. Still hurts like it was yesterday
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#4]
i'd have cut it off the bird as well....
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I read all of that for............that?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#6]
So carve the turkey he munched on, add in the turkey you'd already carved, still have a family meal.  I'm failing to see what the big deal is here.

Oh, and turkey is disgusting anyway, so he actually did you a favor.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#8]
My baby didn't eat nuffin..
He a good boy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Hahahaa. I have one of those...a 15 year old version of what you've got and mine's only going to get worse. Actually, yours shows initiative. Mine would have polished off the prepped stuff like termites on a balsa wood model because it would have been less effort on his part.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Meh, it's your call of course ...But I'd cut him some slack when you ball him out about it. Might be that he was just tired from working a late shift and had his head up his ass a bit too far to notice the sliced turkey for some reason. Note to self though, make sure he gets a text/voicemail in the future as a reminder not to snag the uncut bird from here on in since there will be cut/sliced turkey already available. Also may want to check with the SO to make sure she didn't tell him some shit like " Since you missed dinner, there's another whole turkey in the fridge" or some variation on that theme...
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#11]
had to get all the yummy skin lol
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#12]
He's a growing boy
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Eighteen huh?  Just wait, it gets much worse!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:20:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like he saved you some carving......you should be thanking him
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#15]
No big deal, I bet you would have done the same thing at his age.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Teens gonna teen

I have a 20 yo in College. Hit a curb and debeaded 2 tires. Then drove on to his apartment.

View Quote

Words of wisdom. Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#17]
That's one HUNGRY young man!!

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#18]
kids, our son (22) swerves to miss a deer hits guard rail, with entire driver side of car

since it's dark when we go to work we didn't see it until saturday morning.....WTF

We asked him about it, he says..hugh?...oh yea!!h I hit the guard rail a week ago forgot to mention it

How do you forget???
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#19]
You are upset by this?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#20]
With an 18 year old son one would think you'd have learned to pick your battles by now.  He must be perfect in every other way if this is what gets your goat.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Aspiring turkey carver?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
...it's just a turkey bro
View Quote

He is a teenager and was hungry.  Count yourself lucky that any of the second turkey is still left
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You are upset by this?
View Quote
This

Let it go
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like he enjoyed your cooking, I don't see the problem, especially after you complained about the other shitty turkey your MIL cooked
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I'D BEAT HIS FUCKING ASS INTO THE GROUND HOW DARE HE TOUCH THE UNCUT BIRD WHAT'S HE MAJOR MALFUNCTION [: (!]

is it really that big of deal?

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#26]
OP, I've got three sons, oldest is 25 youngest is 19.  I wish I could tell you it get's better!!!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#27]
He came home from work.  I'd say that alone says he's a pretty decent kid.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#28]
were you planning on reheating the whole turkey?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Is you kid named Bumpus?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I bet you waste time putting the little twisty thing back on the bread package, too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Some folks are a little too invested in food.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I read all of that for............that?
View Quote

This is how I felt also.  

What was the whole turkey for? I assume to eat  like the first was.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#33]
18 yr old comes home beat at 3am and does something completely thoughtless....

Does he pay rent? He ought to.

Teaching opportunity

You take him shopping for a nice fresh turkey and all the ingredients needed to make another one just the way you like it and the way it should be done.

Take it and him home and show him step by step how to fix that bird properly.

He learns to prepare it cook it serve it and clean up after like it should be done..

He learns a valuable lesson and appreciation

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#34]
When he gets up tell him there are leftovers in the fridge, but don't mess with the whole turkey.  Its for a family in need.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like that bird might make a decent impact weapon.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Is you kid named Bumpus?
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

He came home from work.  I'd say that alone says he's a pretty decent kid.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#38]
anything cooked and in the fridge is fair game.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When he gets up tell him there are leftovers in the fridge, but don't mess with the whole turkey.  Its for a family in need.
View Quote

This is winning right here
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Teens gonna teen

View Quote

I can't imagine, KCR.

Yep, OP, my 18'er does some (beyond) stupid shit--but he still hasn't eclipsed the stupid shit I did at his age.

Give him shit about it and beat him with the leftover turkey but end it on a funny note and as much of a hug as he will permit.  Then, when HIS 18 yo idiot does something, he'll remember this "Dad lesson".

Happy Thxgiving!

TC
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#41]
I fail to see a problem
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#42]
I love him.  Early morning is not the best time for me to discover my food has been messed with.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I love him.  Early morning is not the best time for me to discover my food has been messed with.

View Quote

So he doesn't know not to eat "your food"?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#44]
bro! do you have any other cool stories?!?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thanksgiving Day was spent at my mother-in-laws.  Aunts, cousins etc.  MY MOTHER IN LAW IS A SHITTY COOK.  Always has been.  Thanksgiving has always been at our house, wife and I are excellent cooks and always put out a decent spread.

This year, MIL wants it here at her house.  Her new boyfriend, her mother, her sister, her sisters kids, grandkids, plus my wife and our kids.  Fine.  I agree to go.

Was a debacle.  One 12 lb turkey for twenty people.  Grandma cooked it because MIL was late from driving out to pick up her boyfriend.  Cooked it too long at too low a temp;  popup thermometer didn't pop.  I get picked to carve.  She has TWO knives in the house that aren't butter knives.  A bread knife and a steak knife, both serrated.  WTF.  I have a Kershaw that I use for butchering deer, it's razor sharp.  Literally can't cut the meat from the bone, try as I might.  Meat is hard and dry.  For sides MIL has a green bean/mushroom soup casserole and a broccoli/velveeta casserole and a package of 12 croissant rolls.  No potatoes, no gravy, no cranberry sauce.  One package of generic stuffing.

Meal sucked so yesterday we did it right at our house.  Turkeys were on clearance at Wal Mart so we bought several on Black Friday.  Yesterday I roast two.  Stuffing with sausage, onion, celery, potatoes, gravy, rolls, Texas toast, cranberry sauce, roast squash, green beans, some greens with bacon, the whole nine yards.

When the meal was over we had a two gallon ziplock of sliced turkey, light and dark meat, everything off one bird.  Second bird is untouched, wrapped and put in the fridge.  Son #1 was working 2nd shift and got home last night around 3am.  Instead of taking turkey from the huge bag in the front of the fridge, he moves the bag, takes out the tupperwares of potatoes, stuffing, etc, and pulls out the wrapped whole turkey.  Carves into one side with a knife and fork, eating off the turkey bit by bite, basically one entire side, plus drumstick.  Puts turkey back in fridge, replaces bag of sliced turkey and the containers of sides.

I get up at 6:30 to take out the garbage and feed the livestock.  Open the fridge and see how he destroyed what was going to be another family meal this week.  Nine am and I'm still pissed.  I expect this kind of shit from my four year old daughter, son is freaking eighteen.  Haven't gone in to talk to him about it. I'm too pissed, if I go in there now he's gonna say he didn't think he did anything wrong or he didn't know there was sliced turkey in a bag.  The bag he had to pick up and move to take the wrapped whole turkey out of the fridge.
View Quote

meh. there is still tons of food to eat. He in fact effected nothing of the  next meal. Only the way YOU WANTED TO DO IT.

Your choice, but really. Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#46]
it's just a turkey..
he deserves a beating for that!!
some of you guys must have been a joy to grow up under

if its a whole bird,  there's plenty leftover for another meal..  what's the big damn deal??
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Missing the issue, and go feed the livestock

The issue I see is that shitty meal the MIL made.  You should have brought backup, what were you thinking?

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

it's just a turkey..

he deserves a beating for that!!

some of you guys must have been a joy to grow up under

if its a whole bird,  there's plenty leftover for another meal..  what's the big damn deal??
View Quote
He forgot to make a meal for the MIL's house

We would have

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top