View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is this fake?

Yes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

But honestly, everyone who gave the OP and the stupid story he linked to even a hint of credence should feel ashamed. You have to be an idiot to think something like Turkey shutting down the straits would happen without little places like CNN or BBC picking up on it, and being scooped by 'station95' or whatever the fuck it is.

ETA: And there is some Brit tabloid site that gets linked to way too often here...how many Arfcommers were ready for Muslim internment camps or Russia sending 150,000 troops to Syria?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/gTTX2Gx.gif

But honestly, everyone who gave the OP and the stupid story he linked to even a hint of credence should feel ashamed. You have to be an idiot to think something like Turkey shutting down the straits would happen without little places like CNN or BBC picking up on it, and being scooped by 'station95' or whatever the fuck it is.

ETA: And there is some Brit tabloid site that gets linked to way too often here...how many Arfcommers were ready for Muslim internment camps or Russia sending 150,000 troops to Syria?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is this fake?

Yes.

http://i.imgur.com/gTTX2Gx.gif

Then you have those that believe every single bit of Russian propaganda, and everything RT reports.  You know, the Russia stronk idiots.

Not a personal attack.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#8]
The Entente plan to divide the Ottoman Empire would have made Constantinople a Russian city. The idea was the Tsar was going to do a wee bit of ethnic cleansing and repopulate with Cossacks.

The Revolution and Russian and Turkish Civil Wars got in the way but it's an interesting "what if?" proposition had it taken place.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is this fake?

Yes.

Hey, don't spoil it.  It has been to much fun reading the reactions.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Turkey is ranked #10 in the world's strongest militaries on the Global firepower database.

Ukraine is ranked #25

Georgia is #75

Russia #2

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Then you have those that believe every single bit of Russian propaganda, and everything RT reports.  You know, the Russia stronk idiots.

Not a personal attack.
View Quote

There is quite a difference between 'completely fabricated' and 'state press apparatus'.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As the panic in this thread has shown any alleged control over the straits is not usable without creating a casus belli. In addition the missiles that didn't leave during the missile crisis are not needed anyway for any real situation involving a no shit nuclear exchange. In return they greenlight refugees, flirt with terrorists, and have done precious little to earn their keep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I seriously doubt this is true. Even if it is true I can't believe that we would let a puffed up terrorist supporter that conned their way into NATO drag us into a shooting war with the Russians.  

Turkey didn't "con its way into NATO".  Russia has been playing fuck-fuck games with Turkey since WWI, particularly about the Straits, and ratcheted it up right after WWII.  They were inducted to NATO as part of Truman's Containment policy.
Exactly. They didn't get into NATO through their own strength or by any other positive aspect. They played the victim until they got an ally. Then they have been fucking us ever since. Not on the same scale of fucking as Pakistan, but fucking never the less.

Get into NATO by their own strength? Like the Netherlands? How about Luxembourg? Turkey brought into NATO one of the most important strategic areas in the whole world. Through Turkey, NATO controlled the Turkish Straits, Russians access to the Med., and got to stage short and medium range ballistic missiles and bombers in the country to threaten the Soviet Union's southern flank. Well worth their membership, they brought more to the table than a good portion of tiny shitty leftist European countries. Before the last coup in Turkey failed, allowing it to slide more and more toward Islamicic ferver, Turkey was as secular a Muslim majority country could be, a neocon's wet dream.
As the panic in this thread has shown any alleged control over the straits is not usable without creating a casus belli. In addition the missiles that didn't leave during the missile crisis are not needed anyway for any real situation involving a no shit nuclear exchange. In return they greenlight refugees, flirt with terrorists, and have done precious little to earn their keep.

The missiles NOW aren't necessary. They were necessary back during this little event in history, you might have heard about it, The Cold War, which is why NATO was formed in the first place. Turkey was a strategic partner that brought strategic control of the Turkish Straits to the table. So you're wrong, they definitely deserved to be in NATO, because Russia and stuff.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Troll horseshit.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I raised the flag on page one. OP you should feel bad.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Sick and tired of Turkey.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Since WWI?

Someone needs better history books. And by someone, I mean you, because Russians and Turks have been going at it since the 16th century.

ETA: And OP sucks at picking news sources.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I seriously doubt this is true. Even if it is true I can't believe that we would let a puffed up terrorist supporter that conned their way into NATO drag us into a shooting war with the Russians.  

Turkey didn't "con its way into NATO".  Russia has been playing fuck-fuck games with Turkey since WWI, particularly about the Straits, and ratcheted it up right after WWII.  They were inducted to NATO as part of Truman's Containment policy.

Since WWI?

Someone needs better history books. And by someone, I mean you, because Russians and Turks have been going at it since the 16th century.

ETA: And OP sucks at picking news sources.

I was confining myself to modern, industrial age history.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
uh, there seem to be Russian flagged shipping in the  Bosphorus strait Right now.
Did you know that AIS is public, and you can view it yourself pretty much in real time Right Here
View Quote

The only problem I see with this insinuation is that flagging of vessels is a spurious at best situation.

Do you really believe that there are *THAT* many Panamanian ships plying the seas?

I saw one Sierra Leone flagged ship in there a little bit ago.

Now I don't disagree that OP's article is abject bullshit, but realistically, flagging ships is arbitrary.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The only problem I see with this insinuation is that flagging of vessels is a spurious at best situation.

Do you really believe that there are *THAT* many Panamanian ships plying the seas?

Now I don't disagree that OP's article is abject bullshit, but realistically, flagging ships is arbitrary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

uh, there seem to be Russian flagged shipping in the  Bosphorus strait Right now.

Did you know that AIS is public, and you can view it yourself pretty much in real time Right Here

It's done for tax/tariffs and trade ability. Not much different than registered cars. Also, I think there is massive cost difference to Panamanian flagged vesels when transiting the ditch.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#19]
The story is fake.

That being said, the Straits issue highlights the fact that Russia needs Turkey more than Turkey needs Russia.

The new pipeline through Turkey.

Access to the Med.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's done for tax/tariffs and trade ability. Not much different than registered cars. Also, I think there is massive cost difference to Panamanian flagged vesels when transiting the ditch.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Liberia is another popular "flag of convenience".
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Edit - I am finding zero confirmation of any of this, and I am pretty well hooked into what is going on over there.
View Quote

I have looked at the links to ships positions. I'm not seeing any accumulation of warships on either side.

Note: I have sailed through the Dardanelles and Bosphorus on the way to the Black Sea as part of a stick it to the Soviet Union transit called "Silver Fox" way back when. As soon as we entered the Black Sea we were accompanied by two Soviet warships and a trawler. They followed us and stayed very close the whole time.

IIRC we accompanied the USS Wainwright CG-28. That would have been like 1977.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The story is fake.

That being said, the Straits issue highlights the fact that Russia needs Turkey more than Turkey needs Russia.

The new pipeline through Turkey.

Access to the Med.
View Quote

Fucking Muslim apologists.

Some day you'll pray that The Bear will come rescue you from the Caliphate whose outrageous transgressions you so readily dismiss.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The missiles NOW aren't necessary. They were necessary back during this little event in history, you might have heard about it, The Cold War, which is why NATO was formed in the first place. Turkey was a strategic partner that brought strategic control of the Turkish Straits to the table. So you're wrong, they definitely deserved to be in NATO, because Russia and stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get into NATO by their own strength? Like the Netherlands? How about Luxembourg? Turkey brought into NATO one of the most important strategic areas in the whole world. Through Turkey, NATO controlled the Turkish Straits, Russians access to the Med., and got to stage short and medium range ballistic missiles and bombers in the country to threaten the Soviet Union's southern flank. Well worth their membership, they brought more to the table than a good portion of tiny shitty leftist European countries. Before the last coup in Turkey failed, allowing it to slide more and more toward Islamicic ferver, Turkey was as secular a Muslim majority country could be, a neocon's wet dream.

We can agree to disagree. It was a wise strategic move to put them in NATO at the time, but they didn't "deserve" it by any means.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Talk about poking a bear! The Russian Bear could squash Turkey in one blow, so they are being awfully foolish to play with fire like this.
View Quote

You may have been exposed to a bit too much Russian propaganda. Turkey has a REAL military. Russia would have a real challenge there, assuming they could find a way to pay for it first.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#25]
so.. no DefCon 0?
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top