Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/29/2015 9:26:35 PM EDT
Another thread reminded me of a story my co-worker told me.

A guy I work with use to work in a shady part of town.  An out of state truck driver was parked overnight in their lot waiting to be unloaded in the morning. Keep in mind this is NYS where the king and his men don't like armed peasantry. The guy I work with went to wake the driver by knocking on the window to let him know they were open and ready to receive the shipment. My co-worker was greeted to a handgun pointed to his face.  The driver soon realized his error and put the gun away and had his freight unloaded.  

What would you do in this situation?  I don't think I would care to have a gun shoved in my face, but I would not want to ruin his life by having the Gestapo take him away.  I would have made him wait a while to be unloaded though.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
How early was this? Unless it was within business hours what else would one expect?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
shrugs
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Well...he didn't shoot him, did he? Seems like it all worked out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want the driver to face repercussions less severe than a lengthy prison sentence, call his company
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How early was this? Unless it was within business hours what else would one expect?
View Quote

Early. Maybe before or around sunrise.  As to what one would expect, not to have a gun pointed at you by someone staying on your company's property.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm
Knock on the bottom of the door / fender?
Don't climb up so you can get a gun in the face through the window?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you want the driver to face repercussions less severe than a lengthy prison sentence, call his company
View Quote

While this situation never happened to me, I'm not sure if I would even take it that far, unless the driver was being a dick after it happened.  For instance if was giving me a hard time for making him wait to be unloaded.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Did he do anything to announce his presence first or did he just climb up on the truck and bang on the window?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't really hold people too accountable for what they do within seconds of being woken up by surprise. I'd tell the dude "Not cool" and move on.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Meh. Law says trucks are basically their houses, and how many ARFCOMers answer the door with a gun?

Truck drivers are more likely to be robbed, too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Had two guns shoved in my face when I worked at Dominos back in the late 80s.  One while being robbed and one because I pulled in the wrong driveway.  Some Fudd and his pump shotgun didn't like my VW Bug in his driveway evidently.  

What did I do?  Handed over the pizza and cash to the crackhead with the derringer and explained to Fudd that I was looking for his neighbor's house.  Then I think I had a Coke and a smoke.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#13]
If the guy was cool after he realized his mistake, I would have let it go.

It he went on to be a giant dick, I'd let his company know about what happened.

Doubt I would call the cops unless he really went full tard.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#14]
no report.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Nobody died.  Let it go.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hmmm
View Quote

I understand, but I thought one of those silly firearm safety rules went something like "don't point guns at people unless you plan to shoot them"?

edit - bad spelling tonight
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Why was he climbing up the side of the truck? Knock on the sleeper door, or the lower part of the front doors. Don't climb up the steps unless you're wanting inside. I say you tell your friend what I just say and apologize to the trucker for scaring him
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Another thread reminded me of a story my co-worker told me.

A guy I work with use to work in a shady part of town.  An out of state truck driver was parked overnight in their lot waiting to be unloaded in the morning. Keep in mind this is NYS where the king and his men don't like armed peasantry. The guy I work with went to wake the driver by knocking on the window to let him know they were open and ready to receive the shipment. My co-worker was greeted to a handgun pointed to his face.  The driver soon realized his error and put the gun away and had his freight unloaded.  

What would you do in this situation?  I don't think I would care to have a gun shoved in my face, but I would not want to ruin his life by having the Gestapo take him away.  I would have made him wait a while to be unloaded though.  
View Quote

Can't blame the driver in fact he was protecting his/your load.....buy him a cup of coffee and a donut have a laugh about it send him on his way....no big deal.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nobody died.  Let it go.

View Quote

Just to be clear this was years ago and did not happen to me, nor where I currently work.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I understand, but I thought one of those silly firearm safety rules went something like "don't point guns at people unless you plan to shot them"?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm

I understand, but I thought one of those silly firearm safety rules went something like "don't point guns at people unless you plan to shot them"?

If he was startled awake, I'd say he planned to shoot if necessary.  

Upon IDing that the source of the noise wasn't a threat, he reacted accordingly, holstering the firearm.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:50:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm

If he thought he was trying to break into the truck he probably planned on shooting him.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If he thought he was trying to break into the truck he probably planned on shooting him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm

Well I guess that is a good point.........
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I understand, but I thought one of those silly firearm safety rules went something like "don't point guns at people unless you plan to shoot them"?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm

Seems like he DID plan on shooting him, but then realized he was a friendly.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is what I'm thinking too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Hopefully the coworker learned his lesson to knock on the door but don't climb up to the cab.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Fuck him, gun to the face gets the 5-0
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hopefully the coworker learned his lesson to knock on the door but don't climb up to the cab.
View Quote

He did.    He will let the drivers sleep right past their appointments now.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concur as well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Truck drivers are seen as easy targets by thieves.  They can be a jumpy bunch .

Most have experienced just about every type of crime you can imagine .   Loads broken into .  High jack . Beaten and robbed .

I dealt with drivers for years .   It would always be best to announce your presence before jumping on the running boards.  Especially in the dark.

gd
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Once I realized my face wasn't ventilated and the trucker got his shit together, the gun put away and out of the truck, we would have had words.

The cops would not have been called, but you bet your ass I'd expect pistol Pete to be mighty God damn apologetic.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#31]
This thread is retarded  

maybe in new york,  .l . . you were spoon fed anti-gun propaganda from an early age, but when most guys have to camp out in a " shady part of town", they're going to be armed and ready to defend themselves.

People have a God given right to self defense,  . . . . . even in New England.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Hmmm

View Quote
You'd think this would be common sense....

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Yea, if its not 8am - 7pm and you knocking on the truck you got a gun pointed at you even if you cant see it.

I recently upgraded to a 10 inch AR with a sig brace on it.  I still have my CCW as well.

I also started sleeping with a piece of ar500 steel on the side I sleep with my head on after read about a guy getting shot though the sleeper wall.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope he explains why to future drivers who bitch about not being woken up.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Once I realized my face wasn't ventilated and the trucker got his shit together, the gun put away and out of the truck, we would have had words.

The cops would not have been called, but you bet your ass I'd expect pistol Pete to be mighty God damn apologetic.
View Quote

Yea, At best your getting a smile, a shoulder shrug, and a "Sorry man, my bad".
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why was he climbing up the side of the truck? Knock on the sleeper door, or the lower part of the front doors. Don't climb up the steps unless you're wanting inside. I say you tell your friend what I just say and apologize to the trucker for scaring him
View Quote

Smart. I usually just honk and wait in my truck.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I would exchange some not so pleasant words with the truck driver and be on my merry way. I would not turn him in.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Meh. Law says trucks are basically their houses, and how many ARFCOMers answer the door with a gun?

Truck drivers are more likely to be robbed, too.
View Quote

Not NY state law.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Jump down and start unloading my G19 with the 33 round mag dump into his cab.

Pussy ass truck driver is nothing but a rat in a cage at this point, bouncing around trying to escape 9mm hell coming through the driver side of the cab.

This reminds me, need to send Tarintino some more of my screen plays.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Sometimes NOTHING is the correct action.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At worst you're going to be explaining having a gun in your truck and pointing it at a stranger to a guy with a badge.

May want to consider being polite if you're gonna be a fuckin dumb ass.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

And if I was the trucker I would expect you to be apologetic about climbing up the truck like that. Like the post I quoted above in some states the truck is considered their home. I guess if someone bangs on your window at home and you had a gun you would apologize to them?   Lots of thin skinned people here.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

This thread is retarded  

maybe in new york,  .l . . you were spoon fed anti-gun propaganda from an early age, but when most guys have to camp out in a " shady part of town", they're going to be armed and ready to defend themselves.

View Quote
let's keep this in perspective. He was "waiting" to get unloaded.He should have;

A. Been up and alert.

B. Expectng someone to knock on his door and wake his lazy ass up.

Shoving a gun in someones face is careless and irresponsible.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Call the driver on his cellphone and let him know you're ready to unload.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#45]
In my experience as an OTR driver, Announce your presence AS you are knocking on the sleeper.
DO NOT climb onto the truck until you are certain the driver is aware of who you are and why you are there.(waking him up to be recieved)
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#46]
the fat fucker should have been awake and alert and ready to do his job,no need to get the popo involved unless he decided to be an asshole after the ass chewing he is about to receive for being careless and irresponsible on our company property..

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Fuck him, gun to the face gets the 5-0
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
And if I was the trucker I would expect you to be apologetic about climbing up the truck like that. Like the post I quoted above in some states the truck is considered their home. I guess if someone bangs on your window at home and you had a gun you would apologize to them?   Lots of thin skinned people here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The guy was tapping on the window to let the trucker know he could unload his truck.

Some might call that a courtesy rather than some affront to privacy.

You go ahead and follow that guys queue and point your pistol in someone's face illegally and let us all know how that works out for you.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
let's keep this in perspective. He was "waiting" to get unloaded.He should have;
A. Been up and alert.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread is retarded  

A. Been up and alert.

Hmm....good point

OP was this o'dark-thirty, or 0800am, after the sun was up ?

Guess, I was thinking this happened in the dark hours after midnight before sun up

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#50]
After everything went back to DEFCON 5, I would have explained aggravated assault and its ramifications, casually of course.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top