BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't know. My brother in law, Marine, EMT, LEO, and now nurse, has server back issues and is in constant pain.  He can't work but the SSA won't approve his disability.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I take see a shitton of young people with no medical problems and on no medications that have disability for some reason or other....Most of them are in for stuff like back pain/toothache/headache/rash/sneezed once....

The frequency of these people blows my mind.  Is there some class they took to learn how to be a shithead and where can I sign up to take it?

But seriously what's the process of becoming disabled as a lot of these people are obviously healthy and have no issues other than "my back hurts".

Don't know. My brother in law, Marine, EMT, LEO, and now nurse, has server back issues and is in constant pain.  He can't work but the SSA won't approve his disability.

white male by chance?  stab in the dark
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Go on the SS website and apply, get examined by doc they send you to, and get approved or denied. If you get denied, hire a lawyer, reapply, and get approved. That's how the guys I know got it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But seriously what's the process of becoming disabled as a lot of these people are obviously health and have no issues other than "my back hurts".

Go on the SS website and apply, get examined by doc they send you to, and get approved or denied. If you get denied, hire a lawyer, reapply, and get approved. That's how the guys I know got it.

Yep.

My uncle did so much crack that his mind and body is pretty much shot.

He got disability for it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's the new welfare.  Simple as that.
View Quote

Correct.

Notice how the "unemployment" numbers went down, while disability skyrocketed.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The work programs I was familiar with all cause your benefits to cease after a year. The Trial Work gives you so many hours to try a job but you can only trial a few months and you are limited before you can try again. Something like three months every 48 months on a rolling calendar. But I'm not on it so you might know better than me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is not doubt that the system is abused. But you can't catagorize an entire class based upon the malfeasance of some.

Many disabilities are not obvious. And many with disabilities are variable in when/how their disability manifests itself -- sometime they are good to go and sometimes not. The ones with variability are in a tough place since gainful employment many times is unobtainable for people that can perform work sometimes and other times not.

For some the stress of work itself causes a worsening of their condition. I know how that works because with arthritis if I have a heavy duty day I am wiped out by the time I get home and can't even move enough to make dinner.

There is a problem with communities that are economically depressed where there is a push to get on disability any way you can just for enough resources to live.

I think there are systemic changes they can make to SS that would make the situation better. Right now it is an either or proposition. Once on you are not allowed to have any sort of income from  gainful employment or they kick you off. That can be changed and it would make a better system. Vary the level of support to a supplement when someone can at least work part time.

You can actually work and earn quite a bit at part time work before it affects benefits, and there are several programs (ticket to work, trial work period, extended period of eligibility...) for beneficiaries who are trying to move back into full time work.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

The work programs I was familiar with all cause your benefits to cease after a year. The Trial Work gives you so many hours to try a job but you can only trial a few months and you are limited before you can try again. Something like three months every 48 months on a rolling calendar. But I'm not on it so you might know better than me.

Work above the substantial gainful activity threshold level (currently $1090 IIRC)  after your five month trail work period can result in a benefit cessation, though with an extended period of eligibility allowing for an immediate resumption of benefits should you subsequently stop working above that level. And that only applies if you're not in a 301 or ticket to work program. Beneficiaries are given a great deal of assistance and leeway in attempts to return to work. Work below SGA has little to no effect on benefits.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

$700 per month?! Wheeee Doggies! How the hell do I get on that gravy train?! I'm tempted to have my neighbor back his pickup truck over my legs. With cash like that rolling in, who needs legs?!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are two general categories of government disability benefits, SSI / title 16, and SSDI / title 2. Title 2 benefits are essentially an insurance program based on having paid into the system enough to qualify, and benefits are indeed based on past earnings. SSI, on the other hand, is a needs based program for people below a certain assets / resources threshold, and benefits are ~700 / month.

$700 per month?! Wheeee Doggies! How the hell do I get on that gravy train?! I'm tempted to have my neighbor back his pickup truck over my legs. With cash like that rolling in, who needs legs?!

Yup, doesn't sound like much, does it? But here's the thing; that doesn't count as 'income' for other programs, and the vast majority of money / services from other programs don't count as income / resources for SSI. So yeah, there are people out there who can't work, who are trying to scrape by on 700 / month. There are also shit-tons of folk out there who are collecting 700/  month for themselves, 700 / month for each of their two kids who have "oppositional defiant disorder", 500 a month in food stamps for their three person household and whatever other benefit they can wrangle, while receiving subsidized rent via section 8, subsidized utilities, free breakfasts and lunches for their kids through the school system, free cell phone service,free school supplies via charities, free Christmas gifts via charities, free bus passes...

Some of the "poorest" among us have an amazing amount of disposable income.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
bulk of it is legit but there's a lot of fraud.  Still looking for the disability that prevents someone from smoking weed all day and buying steak and lobster on their EBT card
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All the ones in my neighborhood are PTSD and hearing loss.... The mother fuckers can hear the check being dropped in the mailbox though
View Quote

PTSD and hearing loss?

Ha!  Vets.  I can tell you sir, that even a certified taxpayer-funded therapy dog cannot hear Direct Deposit.  You have to register your spouse as a caretaker, then Uncle pays her $1500/month to check that shit for you.

Cha Ching!

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
You think SS disability is bad, check out VA disability. Makes my stomach sick. Especially when people who have real issues can't get the care they need because worthless pieces of shit eat up limited resources.  

I can name about 40 fellow soldiers/marines who are all gaming the system with zero wrong with them. NOTHING wrong with them. Most never even saw combat yet they all have PTSD.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
bulk of it is legit but there's a lot of fraud.  Still looking for the disability that prevents someone from smoking weed all day and buying steak and lobster on their EBT card
View Quote

No it's really not. I worked for a lawyer who specialized in the racket while I was in college.  90%+ are scamming, The rest are fucking junkies and people who destroyed themselves to the point they are breathing meat bags.

Less than 1% are so bad they can't work.  Can't walk? well you can type. Can't type? Well you be a walmart greeter.,ect ect ect.    Only a foolish civilization dumps all its resources into the worthless and unproductive.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#11]
SSDI used to be very difficult to get.  Over the years, the standard has slipped, and under Zippy, it's hard not to be considered disabled.  The husband of a friend has been out of work for about 8 years.  He's tried for SSDI, and is almost there.  He received a lump sum of about $25k.  He doesn't really have a severe diagnosis, the friend pretty much admits he's just lazy.  But if you don't work, that's usually enough.  The X-Box got SSDI, and she worked just fine until she decided it just wasn't her thing.  The fiancee has had three back surgeries, is in chronic pain and goes to work every day. Go figure.

I listen to WC cases all the time, and including my own, I am usually shocked that EVERYONE who has a WC claim is also getting SSDI.  In my last case, the claimant was working very close to the time SSDI was awarded, and may have been on SSDI when my accident happened.

big.gov figured out that we aren't creating jobs anymore.  Education doesn't prepare kids to work, and many don't have the motivation.  So, what to do?  Wither away the standard for SSDI to nothingness, and millions of marginally qualified people will have a means of support which doesn't require them to get out of bed.  See also, Thread about Greek sex workers.  So, that helps to keep the unemployment rate lower than it would otherwise be.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To some of the threads in here sorry about the luck, I do feel for you. With that said it shouldn't be my responsibility to pay for your life.

SSI, EBT, ETC shouldn't exist.
View Quote

I agree on a philosophical level (and if I were emperor, it would end yesterday), but on a practical level I say this - get it while you can, if you can, and if it's better than your next best alternative. Being pious about it isn't going to fix the national debt, or our collective addiction to deficit spending. All it will accomplish is you feeling (kinda) good about yourself, while literally everyone else is cashing in, completely negating the example you've purportedly set.

Game Theory is real.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I believe that programs like disability should exist. My issue is the threshold they consider "disability".

Most people who are "disabled" *COULD* work if they really tried hard. It should be reserved for quadriplegics, the bed ridden, and the mentally incapable. If you can so much as speak... you probably can do *SOMETHING* for money.
View Quote

I think most people agree with that, in principle.

It's the details in implementation that make it sticky.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
SSDI used to be very difficult to get.  Over the years, the standard has slipped, and under Zippy, it's hard not to be considered disabled.  The husband of a friend has been out of work for about 8 years.  He's tried for SSDI, and is almost there.  He received a lump sum of about $25k.  He doesn't really have a severe diagnosis, the friend pretty much admits he's just lazy.  But if you don't work, that's usually enough.  The X-Box got SSDI, and she worked just fine until she decided it just wasn't her thing.  The fiancee has had three back surgeries, is in chronic pain and goes to work every day. Go figure.

I listen to WC cases all the time, and including my own, I am usually shocked that EVERYONE who has a WC claim is also getting SSDI.  In my last case, the claimant was working very close to the time SSDI was awarded, and may have been on SSDI when my accident happened.

big.gov figured out that we aren't creating jobs anymore.  Education doesn't prepare kids to work, and many don't have the motivation.  So, what to do?  Wither away the standard for SSDI to nothingness, and millions of marginally qualified people will have a means of support which doesn't require them to get out of bed.  See also, Thread about Greek sex workers.  So, that helps to keep the unemployment rate lower than it would otherwise be.
View Quote

How exactly has "the standard" "slipped" in recent years? How has the allowance rate changed under "Zippy"?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

PTSD and hearing loss?

Ha!  Vets.  I can tell you sir, that even a certified taxpayer-funded therapy dog cannot hear Direct Deposit.  You have to register your spouse as a caretaker, then Uncle pays her $1500/month to check that shit for you.

Cha Ching!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the ones in my neighborhood are PTSD and hearing loss.... The mother fuckers can hear the check being dropped in the mailbox though

PTSD and hearing loss?

Cha Ching!

Then you get the visit from the Feds to pick up your guns.  Our Imperial leader has now implemented EO's that state that all Vets and SSDI folks that have a caretaker to manage their financial affairs are now considered not "mentally competent" to own firearms.  You take the King's shilling, you follow his rules.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Then you get the visit from the Feds to pick up your guns.  Our Imperial leader has now implemented EO's that state that all Vets and SSDI folks that have a caretaker to manage their financial affairs are now considered not "mentally competent" to own firearms.  You take the King's shilling, you follow his rules.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

PTSD and hearing loss?

Cha Ching!

You have no idea what you're talking about.  Honestly.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#18]
In the ghetto, a lot of it is word-of-mouth.  They all share stories on how they got their kids on disability.  It often involves doctor-shopping until they find someone who will diagnose the kid with some emotional or learning disability that can't be easily disproved.  It also doesn't hurt that the parents let the kids run wild, so an ADHD diagnosis is almost a given.  Occasionally, they will pull the "neurological" disorder card, since you can't really prove that the kid isn't in some sort of pain.

I actually have had a few different disorders, since I was 10.  Migraines, digestive issues, and back / neck pain from a car accident.  Disability wasn't even a thought in my house.  It was mostly just "suck it up".
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:03:50 AM EDT
[#19]
My bro in law gets money from the Navy because he has heartburn

I'm not joking
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:22:07 AM EDT
[#20]
these assholes
http://www.mylerdisability.com/
let 1000's of people scam SSI disability every year.  

oh and I think the economy of Puerto Rico would collapse if SSI went away.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:27:01 AM EDT
[#21]
And its genetic.....passed down from generation to generation.  Surprisingly started after LBJ's Great Society programs.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#22]
One more example of government run programs that take money out of the pockets of the diminishing percentage of Americans that work.  It's also another example of the decline of our society.  There was a time when very few would scam the system because it would be considered the same as stealing.  I know a number of people who are perfectly capable of working who are, "disabled," in one way or the other and are perfectly capable of working.  There is such a high percentage of people on government assistance and doing well that in my business it's very hard to hire people to clean buildings at $13 per hour unless it's under the table.  They don't want to jeopardize their free money from the government.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But seriously what's the process of becoming disabled as a lot of these people are obviously health and have no issues other than "my back hurts".

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#24]
"...when the government tells you you're depressed, lie down and be depressed."

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Most of the PTSD disabled people I know are vets, and most of them are physically fit.  But mentally they're messed up.  Their "triggers" are very real.  I've had vets' wives tell me that their husbands sometimes wake up in the middle of the night screaming and flailing.  Scary stuff.

I have a relatively mild case of it, managed by self-discipline and an occasional round of counseling.  The 50th anniversary of my stress event is coming up soon.  I might get brave and post it here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

these folks are suffering from fibromyalgia

That, or PTSD. (I know people who I believe legitimately claim disability because of both.)

I have seen many disabled vet plates on vehicles owned by people at the the gym and they seem 100% able bodied the way they lift regularly. I assume it must be that.

Most of the PTSD disabled people I know are vets, and most of them are physically fit.  But mentally they're messed up.  Their "triggers" are very real.  I've had vets' wives tell me that their husbands sometimes wake up in the middle of the night screaming and flailing.  Scary stuff.

I have a relatively mild case of it, managed by self-discipline and an occasional round of counseling.  The 50th anniversary of my stress event is coming up soon.  I might get brave and post it here.

50th?  I don't know why, but I always thought your avatar was you.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So I take see a shitton of young people with no medical problems and on no medications that have disability for some reason or other....Most of them are in for stuff like back pain/toothache/headache/rash/sneezed once....

The frequency of these people blows my mind.  Is there some class they took to learn how to be a shithead and where can I sign up to take it?

But seriously what's the process of becoming disabled as a lot of these people are obviously healthy and have no issues other than "my back hurts".
View Quote

where do u live? what do you do? the soc security office decides disability if you have a very lenient officer & a dr. who will right the right letters it may be easy.  but it most of the time its pretty difficult.  

soc security disability is based on your ability to get & hold a job it is actually pretty hard to get so hard lawyers are advised but once you get it there is no reeval & if you get any pay that reports to the IRS you lose benefits so many don't look for work again & many work only under the table pay.

veteran disability is based off of range of motion the veteran must prove the injury was service related - it must be documented in the medical records.  So you may see a veteran at a 540%-60% RATING WITH NO VISIBLE AILMENTS BECAUSE THEY BROKE SOMETHING AND have lost motion or strength.

100% permanent disability is very hard to get unless you are missing parts then it is automatic it takes the VA about 3 years to do amajor claim with an appeal.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There is abuse from every direction.  Hell just look at the military for starters.
View Quote

+1

And pointing out the abuse in every subgroup is not specifically an attack on that group - but people get up in arms via the equivalent of "Ma baby didn'..." - which is why you don't see threads pointing out the abuse and outright fraud seen everywhere, including the military and the VA.   The people may vary but the mentality is the same.

The irony is how so many "disabled" people will in turn have a hobby to make money "on the side" and use their disability to brag about it:   Hey, look at me I can work, but just not officially so help supplement my free-stuff salary by buying the shit I make myself in my free time...  you know, that normal people would do as a job!  

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

They found some town in Alabama or wherever where the entire town is on disability
View Quote

And that was what I came in here to reference. Great article.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:07:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yup, doesn't sound like much, does it? But here's the thing; that doesn't count as 'income' for other programs, and the vast majority of money / services from other programs don't count as income / resources for SSI. So yeah, there are people out there who can't work, who are trying to scrape by on 700 / month. There are also shit-tons of folk out there who are collecting 700/  month for themselves, 700 / month for each of their two kids who have "oppositional defiant disorder", 500 a month in food stamps for their three person household and whatever other benefit they can wrangle, while receiving subsidized rent via section 8, subsidized utilities, free breakfasts and lunches for their kids through the school system, free cell phone service,free school supplies via charities, free Christmas gifts via charities, free bus passes...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are two general categories of government disability benefits, SSI / title 16, and SSDI / title 2. Title 2 benefits are essentially an insurance program based on having paid into the system enough to qualify, and benefits are indeed based on past earnings. SSI, on the other hand, is a needs based program for people below a certain assets / resources threshold, and benefits are ~700 / month.

Yup.

I used to work with the VA and saw the same stuff, but with a 100% VA disability heaped on top (usually another $1800-2400 a month depending on number of dependents).   Several of these guys were blatantly bragging about being "disabled" and not having to work.

In one situation, an older bodybuilder type was "disabled" for a shoulder injury (couldn't raise one arm above his head).   He USED to work at a gym before being disabled - now he works at the same gym (for the free membership) but only part-time so he doesn't lose his bennies.   Although older, this gentleman was a physical specimen and could have been mistaken for an NFL linebacker with gray hair.

Another situation involved a younger guy who had a lower back injury from falling out of a helicopter or basic training or something - again, 100% disabled via VA and SSDI - he didn't work, but his hobby was to travel the country in an RV...  no kidding: he'd pay rock quarries $20 a saturday to dig up rocks literally with pick axe and shovel.   Apparently he liked making jewelry.   It's important to note that this guy was in better shape than most people I know, and "hopped" into the exam chair.  

I know a current vet who makes car parts by hand in his garage; and is turning that into a full time business (sanding, cutting, standing on his feet for hours a day) but is "disabled."  It seems the disability means nothing more than an irregular work schedule.

The egregious examples go on and on, including all the youthful saps in the private sector:  I know a doctor who has a mentally impaired daughter:  expensive house, both he and his wife work and make good money, yet the daughter is disabled so they get thousands a month in disability for school, etc.   Naturally, they prioritize to reduce costs:  the less they spend the more they keep of that "suppliment."  The mentally disabled child will eventually need full-time care and will be a ward of the state IF the parents pass - but I'm not sure why we're collectively paying for it now?   Of course these people also feel there is never enough money to do all the things for them they don't want to pay for themselves.  

These anecdotal recollections also don't take away from the men and women who ARE disabled, and need assistance to live in some manner of dignity.   I think most of us are ranting a little but also really pointing out that the interpretation of "disabled" is broken and needs more common sense - whether it takes years to apply for or not.  

I've had cancer multiple times (including a stem cell transplant) and wound up seeing people at work who were disabled for lesser issues because the chemo made them feel tired.     So yeah, there's a character issue there but I'm not sure how you legislate it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#30]
How much money do you get for disability?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
To some of the threads in here sorry about the luck, I do feel for you. With that said it shouldn't be my responsibility to pay for your life.

SSI, EBT, ETC shouldn't exist.
View Quote

Agreed, this coming from someone wh is dealing with a disabled family member
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Don't most LTD policies only pay until age 65 or so?  So if you're disabled at 60, you won't get much of a payout.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My check was 2300 ish.   which is close to the max.   If memory serves correctly,  you pay significantly less taxes on disability,  (not considered earned income).

I went back to work after  spending lots of time with physical and occupational therapists,  doctors,  and being perscribed a boat load of pills.   I make considerably more than 2300 a month and have excellent medical benefits that more than make up for dragging my crippled ass to work.   Not to mention the  LTD policy through work pays 4k a month,  when my body does finally give out.

Don't most LTD policies only pay until age 65 or so?  So if you're disabled at 60, you won't get much of a payout.  

Yep.   I'm 30,  though.   The chances I'll make it to 67 are slim to none,  so the LTD policy works out pretty well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You think SS disability is bad, check out VA disability. Makes my stomach sick. Especially when people who have real issues can't get the care they need because worthless pieces of shit eat up limited resources.  

I can name about 40 fellow soldiers/marines who are all gaming the system with zero wrong with them. NOTHING wrong with them. Most never even saw combat yet they all have PTSD.
View Quote

Combat isn't the only way to get PTSD.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

getting yelled at hurts feels
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#35]
...and most of these folks just "hang out" at home, party with friends, play video games, etc.  It's what's wrong with society.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a few people out there who never saw combat and definitely deserve their PTSD ratings.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#37]
A "friend" of ours convinced SS that she couldn't work anymore.  While out to dinner with them she starts talking about this banking error she had to figure out.  

She saw a 15K deposit with a memo of SSD, took her a second to figure out it was backpay from SS.

A group of us got together after that and she walks in and announces, quite loud and proud, "I got my disability approved!!!!!"

Now she attends the gym several times a week.  The pics she posts seem to portray her as being quite fit.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

key is hire a lawyer.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#39]
It is a big business, you see the company's, social justice advocacy groups as they like to be called, advertising on radio,TV, etc... that they can help you "navigate the complex and often confusing process of obtaining disability benefits". Some from what I understand will even put you in touch with the "right doctors" to sign off on your claim.

In fact one of the biggest reasons that disability claims have skyrocketed is companies like those that have streamlined the process, virtually making fraud easy and legal, for a price.

Like 25% of your disability check but when you are not really disabled and don't really need the money to live on what is 25% off the top of free money.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Disability is here.

Datability is over there.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Until recently, in PR you could get SSDI because you could not speak English. WTF?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My bro in law gets money from the Navy because he has heartburn

I'm not joking
View Quote

You may not be joking, but you are wrong.  He may be getting money from the VA, but he is certainly not getting it from the Navy.  Facts, they are so inconvenient.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There are a few people out there who never saw combat and definitely deserve their PTSD ratings.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few? You are right?  The hundreds of thousands who claim it but never did shit.....Not so much.

Poor Little YN1 or PS2 on shore duty.. PTSD...amazing how that works.

I saw my state's VA disability rating tracker when G1 was dumb enough to sit it out on a share drive unprotected. Everyone from my deployment short of maybe 5 or 6 people were 100% full of shit. I'm talking 50+/180 people fabricating and making shit up for a check. The best ones were the pussies who claimed back pain so they wouldn't have to go outside the wire, but had no problem playing basketball and going to the gym everyday.  When you live/train with people for years and get to know them, its easy to tell when they are full of shit.   That is ONE company. Hell I remember the Doc's coaching us on what to say we redeployed and this was over 10 years ago.  

One huge fucking scam. The sad thing is, most of the people who REALLY need care, especially mental care, never seek it.  Some don't want to be associated with the frauds and malingerers. Others suck it the fuck up and live their lives.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#44]
mining accident cavin, initial er dr put a band-aid on my nose and sent me on my way, told the safety supervisor hes good to go. I told them I was in pain all over and felt like I got hit by a bus, because I was just crushed. Oh dont worry they said you'll be sore but be ok
. The only injury that was covered for work-comp was the cut on my nose the er put a band-aid on.
I saw a nuerologist on my own and was also sent for testing. The conclusion was a SEvere concussion , TBI, permenent brain damage.
I've witnessed dr's lie and send false info to insurance company. Been told they see some minimal within parameters narrowing of disks, and nerve pain everywhere is from compression injury, but nothing operable. I dont know who to believe anymore. I've had to turn down 80-100 grand a year jobs because of pain through the spine , and head  makes it where just being as still as possibe is the only relief.Mega other pain, whether nerve damage or torn muscle I dont know because i cant get the proper tests. Look, if i could get out of bed 2-3 days in a row I would get a job as a greeter. But i'm doing good just moving around to make sure I take care of myself. I dont get any aid of any kind, nada. But I have filed ss-d in hopes I would either get the medical help I need or file disability. Pride breaker for sure, grass never grew under my feet. I'm sickened by where i'm at and the ethical medical care i've seen. I'm stuck in a spot i dont like for sure.
For over 7 yrs i've use savings, 401k and every other dime I had rat holed. If you are sitting back thinking this type of thing cant happen to you.   You may be suprised, car accident, etc. Well what are you going to do, have you already put away enough money to survive on for the rest of your days. If not you might re-think your arrogance thinking everyone is lazy worthless and is scamming the woking man. My pet peave is paying from my taxdollars a public sector .gov employee to sit on his ass and surf the web or play candy crush.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I am on Social Security Disability Insurance.  I worked all my life from age 16 until 43 supporting myself and my family.  I am a college graduate (graduated Magna Cum Laude) and worked mostly with law firms (paralegal/investigator).  I was being treated for OCD (the REAL disease) from age 30 on. It was about the late 30's that I started having the real debilitating OCD symptoms.  It interfered with my work so much that I was on the verge of being fired by my long-term employer (an attorney) because I was, for lack of a better description, "freaking out".  My employer suggested that I apply for disability because he knew what I had been capable of previously and he knew something was dead wrong with me.

I applied for SS Disability and was approved the first time of applying.  It took about 4 months to be approved for benefits.  I didn't have to appeal... I was deemed disabled and received benefits.  After 10 years the S.S. Administration sent me documentation to, essentially, "re-apply" for benefits.  It was really just to verify that I was, indeed, disabled.  I filled out the relatively short form and submitted it to S.S. Administration.  Within about 3 weeks I was "re-approved" for continuation of my benefits for another 10 years.

There are people who want to work (as I do) but really can't provide the services that the private sector wants.  I am, essentially, unemployable, and I live a very dull (boring) life and my wife supports us along with my S.S. disability monetary benefits.  We live a simple life and I get to spend time with my granddaughter.  We are not rich by any means but we love each other and we get along.

If you have any questions (other than being "judgmental") I would be happy to answer your questions.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

my experience working with the VA at a residential rehab facility is exactly this. When people who have been at the center for decades are told they're being discharged, they come up with new disabilities to claim that they need treatment for. Most popular is PTSD via sex abuse, as "no evidence is evidence," and use of a drugs and alcohol is considered to be evidence of self medicating -- a man who was raped was obviously too embarrassed to report it, and the trauma must be the reason they've done drugs their whole life and ended up at the rehab center. Once they get their 100% they're miraculously healed and discharge in a brand new car to return back in a couple months for homeless respite because they've burned through their $50,000 backpay and don't have the credit to get a place to live.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PTSD and hearing loss?

Cha Ching!

before you go insulting his knowledge about something.. maybe you should do some research first. they may not PHYSICALLY come to your house and seize your guns, but they have reportedly put people on the no buy list, and deny their nics checks when attempting to buy a gun.

i actually have some minor ptsd.... it used to be a hell of a lot worse,  paranoia, trouble sleeping, always needing to be armed, nervous as fuck trying to drive in traffic, resentment, angry for no reason, no tolerence for other people, etc..... but i was not going to deal with the gov about it, and get put on a list...everytime a doctor ESPECIALLY a military or va doctor asked me if i felt depressed, or anything mentally negative at all... i always claimed i was a happy boy.... i was NOT, going to get that shit put on my records... ( luckily i was getting meds for other medical issues, that turned out to be very helpful, in helping me get myself mentally back to almost normal. . at the time ( 2007-2008 ) it was not really a problem, since they were not really even discussing using mental health to stop shooters, but i could easily see how they could eventually use that against you.. ESPECIALLY with obamacare hooking the aft, and fbi, etc up to your medical records.. yeah, that will be great for your future freedoms. but since sandy hook its become more and more popular... but since then everytime a shooting happens FBHO starts about mental health, and using it to deny people gun ownership.... make no mistake, when they go there... and i can promise you they will... for safety and the children.... ptsd will be at the top of the list.   im pretty normal now, id dealt with most of my ptsd issues, i not only have minor things crop up occasionally... but nothing a little valium wont cure, or ambien to help me sleep....

i found the stories he was refering to.. go to the bottom.

hes not wrong. IIRC there was a news story about some vet losing his guns because he was " mentally incompetent", because his wife was paid by the va or something, to pay his bills because he had problems remembering to do it.

or they were discussing taking guns from people like this... i see so damn many stories like this its hard to keep them all straight.

rest assured if the gov tries to attach mental health issues as a reason to not own guns... vets claiming PTSD / feel anger / feel like hurting themselves, etc will be at the top of the list.    while the violent schitzo nut bags who should be in a asylum will walk freely among us.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/feds-sued-for-snatching-veterans-gun-rights/

The first in what is expected to be a series of lawsuits has been filed by the United States Justice Foundation against the Veterans Administration for snatching veterans’ gun rights without “due process” or any “factual or legal basis.”

WND has published multiple reports about how returning veterans were being deprived of their Second Amendment rights without a court-based adjudication competency process, based on arbitrary VA agency decisions. The problem arises when the agency wants to appoint a fiduciary – someone to advise a disabled veteran or one receiving certain government benefits – to help with the management of those benefits.

The government then routinely notifies the FBI’s NICS system, a federally maintained list of those whose competency has been challenged, and that means they no longer can purchase a gun – or even keep the one they may have.

Michael Connelly, executive director of the USJF, told WND the initial lawsuit is to compel the VA to respond to two requests under the Freedom of Information Act.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/feds-sued-for-snatching-veterans-gun-rights/#fZ3FJosz5M9ddvGA.99

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Having worked as a disability examiner for Social Security, I can answer some of these questions.

First of all, the policy for social security disability is far more complex than most people might think, so mistakes do get made.  But for the most part, it boils down to age, work experience, education and functioning due to impairments.  

There is no such thing as a percentage when it comes to SSI or SSDI, unlike like the VA.  You either can work or you can't.  If you are younger than 50 years, you're going to have a hard time getting approved.  It gets steadily easier as you get older.  If you worked a highly skilled job prior to applying, it's going to be harder to get approved.  The more education you have, the harder it is to get approved.  

There is fraud, and there are people who get approved who shouldn't.  But the quality control is fairly strict for Examiners.  However the ALJ's (administrative law judge) who receive appeals answer to pretty much no one, and some of the only ones who see the claimants face to face (with their lawyers).  So this is why you hear about people who have minor impairments getting allowed, because they fought it to the ALJ level, whose allowance rates are sometimes triple what the Examiner allowance rates are.  Also, this is where the money is for lawyers.  They get an easier shot at victory, and get to keep 1/3rd of the back payments (which can span years) once the claimant is approved.

There are fraud units who go out and catch liars and cheats.  They usually get who they are chasing, but the resources are limited and they can only chase so many people.  If you get caught lying, you have to return all the money you got, whether you have it or not.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Chicken dinner! I've seen people that have their toddlers on disability. One woman with four kids get five disability checks.
View Quote

It's easier to get kids approved, because kids don't work and so their functioning is highly subjective.  This is a double edged sword because there are a lot of kids out there who are disabled who need assistance.  An enormous amount of foster kids who have no support system at all are on disability to care for their basic needs and health care.  By the way, the people who shit on this kind of "welfare", how many foster kids are you willing to give a home to?

Quoted:
They go into er saying they want to kill themselves. If they do this like 3 times and get declared mentally ill they get moved to the head of the line and get disability.
View Quote

This is not true at all.  You have to be a lot more than suicidal to get SS Disability.  And the only people who get moved to the head of the line are generally terminally ill cancer patients and severely injured soldiers.

Quoted:

No one I know ever went back to see the SS doc after they got approved.
View Quote

It does happen, but it's not required just for being on disability.  Depends on the impairment and the age of the person, and the resources available to review CDR's (continuing disability review).  

Quoted:
87% of people on disability are scamming the system.
View Quote

Not true.  Not even 87% of the people who apply are scamming.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top