Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/28/2015 9:09:59 PM EDT
Due to a growing family it is time to trade in the sedan for a minivan or something along those lines. New or used. I am not partial to any manufacturer. Poll incoming on current popular manufacturers.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Tacoma

If on a budget, Hellcat

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Minivan=Loss of mancard

Get a SUV instead and retain your mancard
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been looking at the Toyota or Honda. Leaving towards the Toyota due to all the horror stories I keep hearing about the Honda transmissions. I prefer the looks of the Honda though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Sienna or Odyssey.

MIL had a Sienna for 10 years. Was still going strong but wanted something new. They bought a 2014 Odyssey and it is realy nice but pricey.

Wife's SUV was in the shop so rented a Caravan for a trip up to Canada. Waayyy more comfortable for the longer trip (2 adults, 2 kids) than the MDX we have and fit tons more cargo room than our SUV. Was able to fit a bike inside and everything needed for a week's trip.

ETA-The whole minivan=loss of mancard is retarded. Get whatever suits your family's needs. If a minivan suits it better than another vehicle the choice should be clear.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Tacoma

If on a budget, Hellcat

View Quote

Fuck Govt Motors
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have to, consider something like this....

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Minivan=Loss of mancard

View Quote

I will probably end up getting both. Minivan for wife. SUV or pickup truck for me when we move out of Illinois and trade in the other car.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#8]
If you see a lot of snow in your area, the Sienna is the only one with available AWD and about 1.5 inches more ground clearance than the Odyssey. It also has a timing chain so no belt to change at 90k.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#9]

I like that. My kids will be able to deploy out of that instead of just getting out of it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked the last choice.  

Get a used Subaru Brat.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fuck Govt Motors
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tacoma

If on a budget, Hellcat

Fuck Govt Motors

Can you say that in Italian?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Toyota Sienna with the V6. With a family it makes life easy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Sienna or Odyssey. Both are good for well over 200k miles and have nice finishes.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you see a lot of snow in your area, the Sienna is the only one with available AWD and about 1.5 inches more ground clearance than the Odyssey. It also has a timing chain so no belt to change at 90k.
View Quote

This,
Honda lost a sale not having AWD, we went Explorer instead. The Honda nameplate was the only thing that was going to get her into a bimbo box. And I wanted all wheel drive.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey.
Forget the Mopar brands,  Town & Country or Caravan. While nice units what they lack are Honda & Toyota's resale value over 100 - 150K odometer reading.

For me the Sienna won out over the Odyssey, on very minor details.  The Toyota has the same engine & trans as the Tacoma, right down to the 6qt [ish] oil capacity.

WE looked at the Mopars BUT when looking down the road at resale  (trade in of selling yourself) they just don't hold the $$ over 125K

AS for revoked man card. Those who want to dick measure. Sure revoke my card BUT, you need to step up loading & unloading my wheelchair in your tough guy 6" + lifted truck, everyday. MEOW..........

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#17]
One of my sons has a Honda Odyssey, very impressed with performance, fuel milage, payload and durability.   I don't know how much they cost new but seems to fit his needs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#18]
We have an 11 Sienna AWD with about 90K miles now. Still runs like the day we bought it, have had a couple of electircal issues, drivers seat motor and now sliding door motor but other wise has been awesome. In the snow with snow tires I leave suv's/trucks behind.i would strongly recommend it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Minivan=Loss of mancard

View Quote

If you have more than two children A minivan pretty much is the only choice. SUV aren't nearly as easy to use as a minivan, and a mini van can do pretty much everything a truck can do to boot.

Go Japanese period.

I drive a van. I have to say I hate it, but it fits the bill for what I need to do at this time in my life.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Minivan=Loss of mancard

View Quote

Folks call my suburban a mom car.  But between the v8, 4wd, rear locker, enough seats for the family, and room in the back for bikes, dogs, whatever, it sure is handy....

In a minivan, Toyota or Honda.  They are really smooth, comfortable, and useful.  Not nearly as gutless as they used to be.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Some swear by the Mazda.

We tried everything from minivans to large suvs.   We got a Ford Flex with the z plan and haven't looked back. It has met all of our needs and is perfect for our family.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
and a mini van can dopretty much everything a truck can do to boot.

View Quote

Really?  Your minivan has real 4wd, a rear locker, and ground clearance?  You take it hunting?  How many sheets of plywood have you carried in it?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#23]
We have an 08 Toyota Sienna with 140k miles. Never done anything but change tires and oil. The v6 is actually pretty fast. It's not the coolest ride, but it's a great utilitarian family vehicle. I recommend a couple year old one to save a good chunk. Optioned out versions are very expensive new. I avoided Honda because of their transmission troubles.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I like that. My kids will be able to deploy out of that instead of just getting out of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Stand up,'hook up, shuffle to the door....
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Get a 4runner.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Stay away from the Honda Odyssey.  I am a longtime Odyssey owner.  Go for a Toyota Sienna instead.

Toyota is quieter, quicker, and doesn't have the transmission problems Honda continues to dodge.  Tranny thread . . .

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Get a Tahoe, they seat 8 and aren't gay
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I went with the brand-new Dodge Caravan, it was $10,000 less then Toyota or Honda and I put $2400 of that back into the Chrysler MaxCare lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Really?  Your minivan has real 4wd, a rear locker, and ground clearance?  You take it hunting?  How many sheets of plywood have you carried in it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The toyota actually can carry whole sheets if the 2nd row is removed.

and I think he means in a pinch you can do most things a large suv or truck can do.   I have the sienna and a 3/4 ram 4x4 cummins and guess which one gets 90% of the use.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Do you even Land Cruiser bro?

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought my first wife a Toyota Sienna.  I loved that van.  She divorced me.  Highly recommend the Sienna. It solved all my family problems.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#32]
KIA.  Quality of Korean autos is now considered higher than Japanese cars.  

Our first new car was a Sedona.  It was a great little van.  Next new car was an Odessy.  I was very underwhelmed and was happy to see it go.  It was replaced with a used and abused Sedona that was treated like a rented mule for about five years and was just retired for a new Sedona.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:20:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In todays real world of 4WD owners, about the only time most of them go "off road" is if they're going to the dog park, or trash run.
I've seen honda Elements out in the field taking their tag. While the 4wd is sitting at camp sucking down another IPA.

AS for plywood, 36. It would have been more but the spouses back was bothering her. NEXT......................

Look a truck is a truck and a van is just that.
When you're outside trying to figure how to secure that tarp, since the last one flew off. While the rain's doing a number on that new flat screen.  I'm sitting back waiting for you to either turn off and fix that fuckin mess, or put your foot on the gas pedal since you believe driving slower keeps the rain off.

Oh yeah when you come to a "bump" in the road or RR crossing for fucks sake STAY THE FUK OFF THE BRAKE PEDAL. You have $5K of jacked up tires and suspension. If that piece of shit can't handle RR tracks. it sure the fuck ain't worth a shit off road, Bro.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:21:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Dumb ass DT.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:23:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Minivan=Loss of mancard

View Quote

Fuck that. I love a minivan; they're the most practical vehicles on the road.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:25:20 AM EDT
[#36]
I have your back here...

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:32:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't hunt.

I've no need for 4wd. If it snows I stay home. and the most off road I get is maybe the shoulder of a road or the grass next to my driveway

However I have hauled a ton of crap many times  by removing  all the seats from the van. I've towed a boat with it  I've filled the thing with mulch once, (didn't work out too well) I think it was like 15 yards... Hauled tons of plants, bags of dirt, gravel, cement mix lumber Inc plywood. Took some thing like 25 totes of kids clothing to a consignment sale, hauled furniture (real furniture, not assemble your own,) although I done that too. Camping, beach vacations hauling  five people AND all their crap with a car carrier on top.... You have to watch the weight though Imean it hold alot but it NOT a truck.

But It really does do most of the stuff a truck can do and in some cases BETTER. If its what you have, and saves a delivery fee.. it'll do.

I'd would prefer to drive something else, like a sports car, but for now where I am and with what I have to do the van fits the bill.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:50:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Nothing exudes manliness more than obsessing over appearance and what other people will think about the car you drive.

Oh, wait. That's just not true.

OP, ignore the morans and get thee to a Honda Odyssey.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:57:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna.  Everything else is garbage in comparison.

I like the option of the Sienna's AWD.  It isn't an option with the Odyssey.

I much prefer the seating of the Odyssey to the Sienna, though.  The Sienna's seats have tracks in the floor.  Have fun fishing out crayons and French fries and small sticks and such.  And the Sienna's third row seats are a Rube Goldberg contraption that's just dogshit retarded compared to the Odyssey.

The Odyssey's transmission problem, while real, is long since over.  The Toyota Sienna had an engine sludging problem, but I think that's been rectified too.

If you change your own oil, you can get to everything easily with the Odyssey and it uses conventional canister oil filters.  The Sienna is also easy to get to everything but it uses a somewhat unorthodox filter cartridge kit.

Take your pick.  Neither one is bad.  The Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Sienna have dominated the minivan market since about 1999 for good reason.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:59:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Sister had a GMC Acadia for several years, but needed something to tow a 25' trailer with 2 adults, 2 small boys, and 2 dogs, so now drives a Yukon.  When I visited and we all got in together, the only trouble I had was climbing over the boy's car seats to get in the third row.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:03:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Owned a 2011 Honda Odyssey.

I've driven minivans from every manufacturer but Toyota with my job.

I loved the Honda.

Sold it due to high mileage and the fact that my wife has a long commute, and got her a car.

Regret it already.

Decent power, smooth, up to 28 mpg, super comfortable and practical.

Can haul the world, and still have room for groceries.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:04:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Toyota. We had to get a bigger vehicle when we took in more foster kids and I fought tooth and nail to avoid a minivan, but I'd buy another Sienna in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:07:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I bought my first wife a Toyota Sienna.  I loved that van.  She divorced me.  Highly recommend the Sienna. It solved all my family problems.
View Quote

Did you at least get the van in the divorce?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:09:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Sienna.   It's on the Tacoma chassis, or so I've heard.  You can pretend it's a truck ;)
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:18:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lol

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:20:10 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I picked the last choice.  
Get a used Subaru Brat.
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/subaru-brat.jpg
View Quote
I have one...working on getting the other seat from the previous owner(have 1/2)

I have 2 kids
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:21:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sienna.   It's on the Tacoma chassis, or so I've heard.  You can pretend it's a truck ;)
View Quote

NOPE, although there was a one-off made:

http://www.westernslopetoyota.com/blog/a-toyota-sienna-body-on-a-tacoma-chassis/
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:23:44 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

We have an 11 Sienna AWD with about 90K miles now. Still runs like the day we bought it, have had a couple of electircal issues, drivers seat motor and now sliding door motor but other wise has been awesome. In the snow with snow tires I leave suv's/trucks behind.i would strongly recommend it.
View Quote
This will be the wife's next van

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:56:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Honda fucked me on an odyssey van, no reach around, no romance just plain old fucked me like the first night in prison. Take your money and set on on goddammned fire before you buy a Honda van or any Honda with their goddamned automatic transmission. They build a shitty product and then when the fucking transmission falls out they only cover it if you toot it to the dealer for EVERY fucking oil change! Only genuine fucking Honda oil and filters put in by the fuckin pothead service man who has to have a long lunch on Friday to see his fucking probation officer. Hell no they don't care if you documented all the service yourself and used Mobil 1 synthetic and Bosch filters and Mobil 1 transmission fluid at 50k miles, you are not qualified to do this like Alex "I made special brownies" the service monkey! Fuck Honda North America Fuck the salesman who talked us into the piece of shit! Fuck Honda certified pre-owned! Fuck anyone who builds a shitty product and won't stand behind it! Fuck their weaksauced, under lubricated 3rd gear shaft and overheating transmissions! Fuck fuckffuck a Honda minivan. Nissan is what I would go with if you have to get a goddamned minivan. Had a suburban before and an expedition after, the gas mileage was about the same for all of them. I'd go with an SUV. Minivans often run the same transmission as the company's leading sedan nut have a lot more weight and passengers and just don't fucking hold up but goddamn a Honda! Get something truck based or you're pissing money down the drain!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:33:35 AM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top