Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2015 8:12:11 PM EDT
With the recent heat wave here (real feel right now is 15 ) it got me thinking about buying a pair of shtf gloves.  I have a few pair of winter gloves as well as some Mechanix Wear work and tactical gloves.  Nothing I have really combines the two if there even is a glove that does.  Not super concerned about price if it's something that would last forever.  Here is my criteria:

Must be good in cold weather, not uncommon to be below zero here.

Must not be super bulky, want to still have it fit in a trigger guard.

Has to be durable, don't want fingers or the palm wearing out in a few months of use.

Needs to be water proof or at least very resistant.

Been looking at some of the Manzella gloves as well as the Blackhawk SOLAG.  What else out there fits my needs?  Most of the time these will be in my B.O.B. or G.H.B but will also probably take them out shooting during colder months.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Your demands remind me of...

Good-fast-cheap.......pick two.

Near the end of my oilfield days in ND we switched to Ringers Sub Zero gloves. The were much less bulky than their predecessors and were slightly warmer. The other plus is they didn't get stiff at -30. Unfortunately I can't give you a long term review but they held up good the few times I needed them. As far as tactical capabilities they won't be as good as a tactical glove but I think you may want to try a pair if nobody else has a suggestion.

http://shop.ringersgloves.com/All-Gloves/Zero_2
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Those Ringer one's look pretty nice but awfully bright!  Seem a little on the bulky side though, not sure if they would fit good in a trigger guard.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those Ringer one's look pretty nice but awfully bright!  Seem a little on the bulky side though, not sure if they would fit good in a trigger guard.
View Quote

They do in the picture but they're smaller than it makes them look. I'll see how well they work in an AR and post a pic.

Yes, they are bright. I'll be interested in better tactical gloves as well but these are good functional gloves.

First two are resting on the trigger and second are trigger pulled. Magpul trigger guard

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Outdoor Research.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Outdoor Research.
View Quote

Some of those look ideal, too bad they don't have temp suggestions.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Outdoor Research.
View Quote

Any particular ones or any first hand experience?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm interested in responses to this question as well. I want some 1st world gloves for my 1st world fingers.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:31:16 AM EDT
[#9]
look at the battery powered ones cabelas sells with the gerbings heating technology.  I've been using mine for 3 years no problems as long as you don't forget to charge them up.  

If this is for heavy work then check out outdoor research.  I have a pair of Poseidon which are warm, not too bulky and tough.  Not warm enough to sit static for hours at 20F.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:37:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Your demands remind me of...

Good-fast-cheap.......pick two.

Near the end of my oilfield days in ND we switched to Ringers Sub Zero gloves. The were much less bulky than their predecessors and were slightly warmer. The other plus is they didn't get stiff at -30. Unfortunately I can't give you a long term review but they held up good the few times I needed them. As far as tactical capabilities they won't be as good as a tactical glove but I think you may want to try a pair if nobody else has a suggestion.

http://shop.ringersgloves.com/All-Gloves/Zero_2
View Quote

I absolutely hate it when I have to wear impact gloves, but I must admit they would work well for what OP is describing. I wore them when it was -20F and while not ideal, they are warm enough while retaining some dexterity.

I just wear insulated leather gloves when it's cold, and uninsulated when it's not as cold.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:38:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outdoor Research.

Can't remember the model numbers.  I used them as infantry stationed in Alaska.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:44:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:47:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Military mitts with the finger glove. You have a finger glove. Pull the mitts back. Your legs and middle body will be frozen off before your outer limbs.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:02:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outdoor Research.

Interested on the responses and this one here bodes well in particular for me. Off to Google!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:08:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Tag for info, I'm looking for the same thing. I always hear OR as a suggestion -- any particular model?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:20:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a pair of Manzellas and they are the best gloves I have ever had. I was antelope hunting in Wyoming last December and it was -50 with 50mph wind and my hands were fine!!!!! I was  genuinely worried about getting in serious trouble that day with the cold but my gear work perfectly and I was warm. I did have handwarmers inside the gloves but they did a very good job at retaining the heat and keeping my hands from freezing
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:22:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

OR is what I was issued and still have. I had them form thin and light all the way up to mittens. We were issued seven pair for different climates. You can't beat them but they are expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outdoor Research.

OR is what I was issued and still have. I had them form thin and light all the way up to mittens. We were issued seven pair for different climates. You can't beat them but they are expensive.

Go on OR's website and pick 3 current gloves to use as a system based on your 7 pack. I'd be in for three OR sets if I know they're the right ones. I live at a latitude that is north of Chicago for area climate considerations.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:29:17 AM EDT
[#18]
CamelBak's Cold Weather Gloves are the best combination of warmth, dexterity and durability I've found.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:38:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outdoor Research.

these are the gloves you seek.....great reviews.....have not tried them yet
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:50:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't think any one glove is going to get the job done.

I just carry a pair of trigger mitts and some lighter gloves like the military nomex ones and leave it at that.  For rough work, work gloves of some sort.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:03:03 AM EDT
[#21]
You can waterproof any set of gloves with a paired set of inner liners. It opens up your field of choices. also gives a barrier between the glove where you can sandwich in a hot pack.

I almost got frostbite bad on my fingers hunting in sub zero Temps in Montana a few years back. I was wearing what I thought was a good set of heavy gloves, until they got wet inside and out and froze.  I really had to step up my glove game.

I don't have anything fancy,  I just carry several types of gloves in my pack that I can layer. The light all purpose glove is just Mechanix outdoor type gloves,  I use them frequently in the woods so they're easy to replace. Then I have a set of waterproof liners and a medium fleece glove, both Colombia.

Heat packs will keep them from freezing,  and the liner will keep the bite off of your skin. Any waterproof glove can become wet given enough time,  but the liners will not.

I layer them as necessary. I don't believe you can find a single glove that does it all.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:29:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outdoor Research.

They're the convoy gloves:

http://military.outdoorresearch.com/gov/convoy-gloves-tricot-old-1091.html

Standard Issue in Alaska, I really like them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Doesn't appear they make the Convoy anymore.  Can't seem to find them anywhere.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:19:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Warm and low bulk are mutually exclusive.  That being said there is a right balance for everything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161600965461?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

I found the neptune to be a good balance between water resistant (only a plastic bag is 100% waterproof), low bulk, warm, and they're very cost effective compared to the competitors.  

OR makes the Neptune and Poseidon in the temperate / coldish weather arena, i haven't found a difference between the two except that the poseidon are $300 and neptune are $75

During cold weather field exercises I took 2 pairs of gloves. Neptunes for moving around and $25 big bulky snow boarding gloves for when sitting / standing watch.  The $25 bulky gloves were 20x more warm- again, there is no magic material that I've found that is very thin and very warm.  Temps were 0-35.  Neptune were fine for walking around and when the temp was above 25 or so but at 0 degrees more intense gloves are required.

Another option is glove liners.  Tactical tight gloves and big bulky ones over the top.  I did this one time out and it worked fine.  

Bottom line is that every situation warrants a different glove (temp & intended use).  I haven't found a one-size-its all.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outdoor Research.

OR is all I will buy for cold weather gloves.

I can attest to the PL 100's and long house gloves. 100's super warm with an outer shell. good with just the liner down to 30-40's if your not out all day.

The longhouse gloves are super toasty. I could board all day in them without shells in sub freezing and be fine.

at the prices they sell their gloves for you won't be disappointed in anything you get.

etc: and no this wasn't in south Carolina.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top