BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sand Springs Sportsmen's Club, one of  the oldest "private" gun ranges in the country. About 15 years ago:

Some goat-ass fuqqing, redneck, meth-mouth, Fudd was out there shooting (shooting at, hitting nothing) skeet with a duck gun and he was holding past the skeet houses, shooting past the foul lines and he PEPPERED my showroom restored 1968 Cougar with 2 semi-auto blasts of #8 birdshot. (Boom!-Boom!-Boom!-Boom!-Boom!-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss!)

I was standing on the rifle range when I heard the pellets bouncing off of the tin roof over the firing line and also hitting car parked nearby and I shouted to the skeet range, "HOLD YOUR FIRE! HOLD YOUR FIRE! You're hitting me and my car in the parking lot!"

Asswipe's reply: "Move your fuqqing car, asshole!" and he went right on shooting #8 birsdhshot from 100+ yards away.

This was the only time I can ever recall pointing a rifle at someone when my life didn't really depend on it
. I was holding a fully-loaded AR-15 (I guess Assclown could have stung me with birdshot...while I was unloading a 30-round mag of green tips into his rapidly cooling corpse.)

I stepped behind a big pecan tree and took aim straight at said assclown, and ordered him to drop your weapon or I'll drop your ass! . He got the hint REALLY quickly, threw his shotgun into his car and took off. I later reported the whole thing to the club board and found out he wasn't even a member at the club. He had just stolen another member's gate code and entered without a membership.

...still didn't get my car fixed. I had to have the hood repainted and paid for it myself.
View Quote

IMHO, your judgement was off that day.  He peppered your car, PEPPERED.  That's just bird shot falling down on it, no reason to take someone's life.  While the guy was clearly an inconsiderate, ignorant, range trespassing douchebag - If your life isn't in danger there is no reason to EVER point a loaded AR at someone.  If he kept shooting (skeet that is), would you have dropped him?

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Called the range cold, walked downrange with my two boys to change targets.  I make it a habit to turn and check the firing line when I'm downrange to make sure no one picks up a gun.

Sure enough, some asshat picks up his Beretta 92.  I lost my mind and started screaming at him.  

He was a guest of a member.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

#8's aren't going to do anything at 100 yards.  Take a handful of #8's, throw them in the air underhanded and stand underneath, that's about as hard as they will come down at 100 yards.

#8's with a muzzle velocity of 1165 FPS pack a whopping .66 ft./lbs of energy at 60 yards, they lose ~.10 ft./lbs every 10 yards beyond 60.
View Quote

Doesn't excuse careless shooting or complacency.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Private range, by invitation only.

And it helps that the bench area is on the deck, right outside my bedroom.  

I can look right down the range, from my bed.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Saw a family of about 4 the last time I was at the range, a husband, wife, and two daughters I think, shooting pistols, nothing big looked like some compact .380s and maybe a Taurus 9mm, anyway the husband was being a total douche and talking down to his wife and kids when they weren't doing something exactly the way he liked, guy was terrible at explaining things acted like he was king badass and his wimmenz should've just figured it out. Drove me nuts because helping people learn to shoot, and shoot in a proper way, and coaching them in the process is one of my favorite things to do. Always irks me when people act like assholes at the range.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#7]
My Range experience working our clubs Deer hunting sight in days.. The majority of Americans who deer hunt, cannot shoot for shit and no little about gun safety or how to operate any of there firearms.

No breathing control
No trigger control.
Rest the barrel on a rest. Act surprise when rds are 3-4" high.
Don't know how there gun works.
Don't know how there scope works.
No clue what MOA adjustment there scope is.
Not sure which turret does what, or which direction to turn the turret to move the strike of the rd.
Cannot fire a group of three rds (Cannot group anything).
Will fire different bullet weights, expecting the same zero.
Buy cheap scopes that will not track and take an adjustment.
Will start making scope adjustments......after firing one round!!!

Will share a zero with another shooter.

The best shooters that can come out and actually shoot a group........drum roll.........

Women.

We ceased to be a nation of rifleman...long ago.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

#8's aren't going to do anything at 100 yards.  Take a handful of #8's, throw them in the air underhanded and stand underneath, that's about as hard as they will come down at 100 yards.

#8's with a muzzle velocity of 1165 FPS pack a whopping .66 ft./lbs of energy at 60 yards, they lose ~.10 ft./lbs every 10 yards beyond 60.

Exactly. #8s won't hurt much, but what about that odd round of #4 buck, or a slug, that Bubba accidentally mixed in his bag?

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#9]

I shoot at a very private club. It takes 6 months to join and we only take 30 people a year. You must also know 2 current members to get on the waiting list.  Even with these procedures, a few assholes slip through the cracks.  We only have range officers on the trap and steel range.  The bullseye pistol, rifle, archery courses, indoor range and cross bow range do not have a range officer.  Our lake and clubhouse/bar are also open without supervision.  Every member can challenge an unsafe practice and most do it in a diplomatic way.  We have very few incidents that get taken to the Board of Directors.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#10]
4 guys shooting the same rifle at a 200 yard target. Can't get a good group. Next guys shoots and adjusts, etc. etc.

The one guy finally figured it out.

He asks the owner of the rifle and ammunition. When did you by this ammo? Last year he says.

Well that's why.....your ammo is out of date. You need to go buy a fresh box. Then it will shoot good.

And as much as I hate not being able to hunt with a semi auto in PA, I fully understand why.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Went to a range, I'm the only one shooting.  I brought a pistol and an AK.  While I'm shooting my pistol, a few young black dudes come in, pistol cases in hand.  Hmmm, prejudices bubble up in my mind, and then out come some of the nicest little 22 target pistols I've seen in a long while.  I'm done with my pistol shooting, and uncase my AK.  Those guys eyes got real big.  I offered to let them shoot the AK, and got a polite "Um, no thanks."  I wonder want prejudices went bubbling through their minds.    

Quoted:
2 neckbeards come onto the range with a brand new AR. Barebomes basic DPMS. Guy doesnt have a rear sight, just the front sight post. I along with the range safety tell him. His reply was "but there is a front sight, I dont need 2 sights". Needless to say he wasnt allowed to shoot it.

Last weekend.
View Quote

Heh, I have no neckbeard, but after I assembled my first AR and was really excited about taking it out to shoot it, despite no scope or rear sight.  I put every round on paper.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If it's like my range, which is outdoors, you pull up and park literally right behind the shooting benches. If some ass-hat was swinging far enough around to hit me or my car, I would have done the same as Pale Pony (but detained him for Sherriff to get compensated for my hood).

View Quote

lol. And you probably would have been arrested for assault, you should know the law before you try and act like a dumbass.

This guy held a trespasser on his property, a similar crime to what would amount to accidental vandalism of your car. and he got arrested.

http://www.guns.com/2013/09/26/michigan-homeowner-arrested-open-carrying-unloaded-shotgun-police-side-trespasser-suspect-viddeo/
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#13]
About a month ago I was at the indoor range I always go to, shooting my awesome Winchester 94 357. While I was getting checked in I saw a guy come in with a pistol case, asking to go to the pistol range. He looked to be in his early fifties. I believe he mentioned he was LEO, I think formerly, and he was there to qualify for his carry permit. I went on to shoot for about an hour.

When I came out of the range one of the employees, the RO, was looking pretty aggravated and he was speaking to another employee. He was explaining what had happened. The LEO guy had shot the target carrier SEVENTEEN times. The RO told him he was done, expelled him from the range, and billed him $250 for repair of the carrier.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#14]
The range I shoot at is a free for all, it's considered a club but anyone can buy a membership with no questions asked.   Never met anyone who owns or runs it.   It's well maintained and it is a police yourself setup.   I always carry when I'm there, seen guys walking down range while others are shooting, guys shooting 20'-30' in front of the firing line, a guy with a cardboard holster, etc....

While I appreciate being able to do what I want without supervision or restriction... it's amazing that someone hasn't gotten killed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Normally I use threads like this to warn people about the asshole who runs the Washoe county range who seems to have some kind of unexplained personal vendetta against me. But I think I will weird things up a bit.

When I lived in Idaho I shot at the Jerome county range. Small, quiet, no range nazis. But sometimes you would see some odd things. Nothing dangerous, just odd. Like the time I saw an elderly couple. Looked like they were in their mid 70s. Come out with someone who was clearly an instructor. They unboxed a brand new Romanian AK and proceeded to very carefully sight it in. Using a spotting scope and firing one round at a time. The husband and wife took turns and they were still shooting slowly when I left.

All I thought was, "old people shooting AKs?"
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Public range in Pittsburgh and it's not very safe. I had to jump some old fudds shit last week when he shouldered and aimed his rifle downrange as people were putting up targets. Watched another guy earlier in the year talk to his daughter about muzzle safety... as he kept a pistol pointed at her chest.....
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Private club, shooting anything full auto requires being vetted by the club. I setup an appointment with the very knowledgable club member who is in charge of the vetting process, we go over all the rules, and he signs off on my paperwork. Later, I head to the indoor range with a buddy. We bump into a few other club members, including one who sits on the board of directors and we chat for a bit. After watching my buddy and me shoot for a few minutes, they pack up and head out. We must have been shooting for about a half hour when I hear several people yelling "CEASE FIRE" from behind us. Full disclosure, at the time I was experimenting with shooting an Uzi one handed but only in short bursts and as far down range as it's safe to go with the target 7 yd in front of me.

To my surprise, the one handed stuff wasn't a concern. The club treasurer never brought that up... he and the two other guys said they heard us going cyclic and you can't shoot full auto at the indoor range . I politely "stood my ground" and after I offered the names of the club machinegun guru who schooled me on the rules (pistol caliber full auto is explicitly allowed at the indoor range) and the BoD member who watched us shoot earlier, they were in a slightly friendlier mood. The treasurer still wanted to see my range ID and write down my name to which I made no objection. No issues at the club since then, without a doubt it's my favorite place to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The biggest problem at my semi-private range is all the old guys that hang out there all day and just want to talk your ear off.
View Quote

Z, you ARE one of the old guys
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Man shot in St. Augustine at a gun range yesterday.  He was standing behind a target.  Don't know details nor do I care to.   No excuses.  Transported with life threatening injuries.   New meaning to silhouette target.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It just seems all I hear at the range are the pops of .22's and 9's anymore.
View Quote

Un-canned SBR indoors. That's gets peoples attention.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My Range experience working our clubs Deer hunting sight in days.. The majority of Americans who deer hunt, cannot shoot for shit and no little about gun safety or how to operate any of there firearms.

No breathing control
No trigger control.
Rest the barrel on a rest. Act surprise when rds are 3-4" high.
Don't know how there gun works.
Don't know how there scope works.
No clue what MOA adjustment there scope is.
Not sure which turret does what, or which direction to turn the turret to move the strike of the rd.
Cannot fire a group of three rds (Cannot group anything).
Will fire different bullet weights, expecting the same zero.
Buy cheap scopes that will not track and take an adjustment.

Will share a zero with another shooter.

The best shooters that can come out and actually shoot a group........drum roll.........

Women.

View Quote

This^. I have seen the same guy, 'sighting' in a pink .243 for his daughter/wife? (I'm not from wv), for three weeks. He brought the womenz out the first time, but they were messing things up. So now he is doing it himself. At least 80 rounds....gun still is not 'sighted' in!

Yup, he won't ask for help-and the way he spoke to the womenz indicates that he knows everything already anyway.....
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
snip
snip
View Quote

What's wrong with that? On initial sight in, I'll do that based on what I saw during recoil vs. where the impact was. It saves time, ammunition, and shoulder tenderness in the heavier recoiling rifles.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The range I shoot at is a free for all, it's considered a club but anyone can buy a membership with no questions asked.   Never met anyone who owns or runs it.   It's well maintained and it is a police yourself setup.   I always carry when I'm there, seen guys walking down range while others are shooting, guys shooting 20'-30' in front of the firing line, a guy with a cardboard holster, etc....

While I appreciate being able to do what I want without supervision or restriction... it's amazing that someone hasn't gotten killed.
View Quote
Was it one of these French fry holsters from Roy Rogers?

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You were gonna kill someone for peppering your car?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sand Springs Sportsmen's Club, one of  the oldest "private" gun ranges in the country. About 15 years ago:

Some goat-ass fuqqing, redneck, meth-mouth, Fudd was out there shooting (shooting at, hitting nothing) skeet with a duck gun and he was holding past the skeet houses, shooting past the foul lines and he PEPPERED my showroom restored 1968 Cougar with 2 semi-auto blasts of #8 birdshot. (Boom!-Boom!-Boom!-Boom!-Boom!-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss!)

I was standing on the rifle range when I heard the pellets bouncing off of the tin roof over the firing line and also hitting car parked nearby and I shouted to the skeet range, "HOLD YOUR FIRE! HOLD YOUR FIRE! You're hitting me and my car in the parking lot!"

Asswipe's reply: "Move your fuqqing car, asshole!" and he went right on shooting #8 birsdhshot from 100+ yards away.

This was the only time I can ever recall pointing a rifle at someone when my life didn't really depend on it. I was holding a fully-loaded AR-15 (I guess Assclown could have stung me with birdshot...while I was unloading a 30-round mag of green tips into his rapidly cooling corpse.)

I stepped behind a big pecan tree and took aim straight at said assclown, and ordered him to drop your weapon or I'll drop your ass! . He got the hint REALLY quickly, threw his shotgun into his car and took off. I later reported the whole thing to the club board and found out he wasn't even a member at the club. He had just stolen another member's gate code and entered without a membership.

...still didn't get my car fixed. I had to have the hood repainted and paid for it myself.

They were shooting at him.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

lol. And you probably would have been arrested for assault, you should know the law before you try and act like a dumbass.

This guy held a trespasser on his property, a similar crime to what would amount to accidental vandalism of your car. and he got arrested.

http://www.guns.com/2013/09/26/michigan-homeowner-arrested-open-carrying-unloaded-shotgun-police-side-trespasser-suspect-viddeo/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's like my range, which is outdoors, you pull up and park literally right behind the shooting benches. If some ass-hat was swinging far enough around to hit me or my car, I would have done the same as Pale Pony (but detained him for Sherriff to get compensated for my hood).

Maybe in your state or Michigan but not in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was the only time I can ever recall pointing a rifle at someone when my life didn't really depend on it. I was holding a fully-loaded AR-15 (I guess Assclown could have stung me with birdshot...while I was unloading a 30-round mag of green tips into his rapidly cooling corpse.)

If that story read like a deadly force situation to you, you should probably sell all your guns before you end up in a bad mess.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#27]
My son's very first trip to the range at 10 or 11-- lots of noise as it was about a week before opening day. He got so nervous he barfed right there on the firing line!

People were looking at me like I was some kind of jerk for bringing him! We sat there watching the goings on for about a half hour before he finally felt ready to give it a go.

The look on his face when he realized a .22 wasn't going to kick like a mule was great!

Both of my kids are very sensitive to noise but both of them love shooting now...
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The biggest problem at my semi-private range is all the old guys that hang out there all day and just want to talk your ear off.
View Quote
Yep, they are there to kill the 12s.

12 cigarettes, 12 hours, and about 12 rounds.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What's wrong with that? On initial sight in, I'll do that based on what I saw during recoil vs. where the impact was. It saves time, ammunition, and shoulder tenderness in the heavier recoiling rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip
snip

Nothing,,,, If your a competent shooter and can self diagnosis a good shot from a bad one... But my experience is most shooters are not as good as they think they are (Myself included). And I see shooters go thru MORE rds, not less, as they chase there rds all over the paper, because they cannot group there shots.

If your a good shooter, and you have good gear that tracks properly, there is no reason to not get a good zero in under 9-12 rds or confirm a gun already zeroed in under 6 rds.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nothing,,,, If your a competent shooter and can self diagnosis a good shot from a bad one... But my experience is most shooters are not as good as they think they are (Myself included). And I see shooters go thru MORE rds, not less, as they chase there rds all over the paper, because they cannot group there shots.

If your a good shooter, and you have good gear that tracks properly, there is no reason to not get a good zero in under 9-12 rds or confirm a gun already zeroed in under 6 rds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip
snip

9 would be a lot with good gear.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If that story read like a deadly force situation to you, you should probably sell all your guns before you end up in a bad mess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You certainly should sell yours.   That stuff is a felony in my state not to mention that idiot could  easily launch 000 buck or slugs.      The OP is lucky to be alive.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Went to a range, I'm the only one shooting.  I brought a pistol and an AK.  While I'm shooting my pistol, a few young black dudes come in, pistol cases in hand.  Hmmm, prejudices bubble up in my mind, and then out come some of the nicest little 22 target pistols I've seen in a long while.  I'm done with my pistol shooting, and uncase my AK.  Those guys eyes got real big.  I offered to let them shoot the AK, and got a polite "Um, no thanks."  I wonder want prejudices went bubbling through their minds.    

Heh, I have no neckbeard, but after I assembled my first AR and was really excited about taking it out to shoot it, despite no scope or rear sight.  I put every round on paper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
2 neckbeards come onto the range with a brand new AR. Barebomes basic DPMS. Guy doesnt have a rear sight, just the front sight post. I along with the range safety tell him. His reply was "but there is a front sight, I dont need 2 sights". Needless to say he wasnt allowed to shoot it.

Last weekend.

I may have done something similar with a bolt action .50 cal when didn't have a scope mount. Didn't have a bipod and may have used a gallon bucket.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip
snip

I agree, but realistically, how many shooters do you run into that spend the money on well made repeatable and straight tracking optics place on rifles that are capable of Sub MOA accuracy along with sub MOA ammo being operated by a sub MOA shooter?

and on the opposite end of the spectrum, I saw a thread where some poster had a $2500 USO optic on a $400 rifle, and most likely does not possess the skills required to use such a scope to its full potential.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I agree, but realistically, how many shooters do you run into that spend the money on well made repeatable and straight tracking optics place on rifles that are capable of Sub MOA accuracy along with sub MOA ammo being operated by a sub MOA shooter?

and on the opposite end of the spectrum, I saw a thread where some poster had a $2500 USO optic on a $400 rifle, and most likely does not possess the skills required to use such a scope to its full potential.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip
snip

Valid point.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Oldie but goody

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You certainly should sell yours.   That stuff is a felony in my state not to mention that idiot could  easily launch 000 buck or slugs.      The OP is lucky to be alive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP's statement of :

"This was the only time I can ever recall pointing a rifle at someone when my life didn't really depend on it. "

counters your assertion that he is lucky to be alive.  None of us were there, he was - so we have to trust his account of events.  His words indicate he knew his life was NOT in danger and his concern was clearly on his showroom restored 1968 Cougar.  

If you've ever been bird hunting in a group, you've probably been peppered.  It ain't life threatening.  OP over-reacted and his own words confirm it.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm not a shotgun guy, so I'm not very familiar with the characteristics of the range of danger. I was speaking solely to the effect that if I (or my nearby vehicle) [ span style='font-weight: bold;']were[/span] being injured due to somebody being blatantly unsafe, action would be taken. Response is relative to threat, though. Like the father / son duo in my post above... Since they were being unsafe due to simple innocent ignorance. I politely explained the danger of their actions, told them to have fun shooting (safely) and we all went on our merry ways.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a shotgun guy, so I'm not very familiar with the characteristics of the range of danger. I was speaking solely to the effect that if I (or my nearby vehicle) [ span style='font-weight: bold;']were[/span] being injured due to somebody being blatantly unsafe, action would be taken. Response is relative to threat, though. Like the father / son duo in my post above... Since they were being unsafe due to simple innocent ignorance. I politely explained the danger of their actions, told them to have fun shooting (safely) and we all went on our merry ways.

Most smaller shot doesn't even sting at that distance. Shooting each other at 80 to 100 yrs was a dove hunting tradition with my friends and I
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Suicides make a major mess. It takes two or three bags of clay cat litter to clean up after them.
View Quote

We had a well liked guy at our fish and game club kill himself at the pistol range. Not accidentally either. It was a real shame , he was in his 50's and his parents, who were reasonably healthy at the time, both declined quickly and died a few years later. It just destroyed them
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:37:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
4 guys shooting the same rifle at a 200 yard target. Can't get a good group. Next guys shoots and adjusts, etc. etc.

The one guy finally figured it out.

He asks the owner of the rifle and ammunition. When did you by this ammo? Last year he says.

Well that's why.....your ammo is out of date. You need to go buy a fresh box. Then it will shoot good.

And as much as I hate not being able to hunt with a semi auto in PA, I fully understand why.
View Quote

It's funny because it's true

I like the guys that take half a box to get on paper. Then they pepper the target and adjust there scope every shot for the next 5 shots. Then they say "good enough" and quit so they still have 5 bullets left for hunting
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thank God I have a private range membership---Veterans and their family/friends only (max 2 guests at a time). Not saying there will never be issues but there's never been one while I was there.

Then again I usually go on a random Tues/Wed/Thurs at 11:30am when most people are at work

Owning a small business has it's advantages for those of us who can't shoot on their own land.
View Quote

Post 435?  I think my have run into you there....you shoot pistol most days?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:53:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My son's very first trip to the range at 10 or 11-- lots of noise as it was about a week before opening day. He got so nervous he barfed right there on the firing line!

People were looking at me like I was some kind of jerk for bringing him! We sat there watching the goings on for about a half hour before he finally felt ready to give it a go.

The look on his face when he realized a .22 wasn't going to kick like a mule was great!

Both of my kids are very sensitive to noise but both of them love shooting now...
View Quote

Sounds much gentler than my first time. I got the single shot 12 gauge initiation
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:35:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:45:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Oldie but goody

http://youtu.be/4g5p6b-ZZ5Y
View Quote

Outstanding. I need to get out more.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:07:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Went to range to shoot a Brown Bess musket.
This range has small individual sections/bays separated by berms. I am the only person in my assigned bay.
The shooting line has non movable concrete tables under a rather low roof.
Roof is so low I can not stand the gun up to load. The ramrod would strike the overhead roof before being removable from the barrel of the musket.
Loading over the tables is very cramped and I do not want ding an $1100 firearm on the concrete table tops.
So I step just out in front of the tables from under the roof to load. RO comes over and jumps my ass.
I try to demonstrate the ramrod hitting the low roof. RO says I can not be in front of the table. We are talking a distance of perhaps six feet here.
Why not? I say. I'm the only guy in this bay!?!? RO gets pissy.
So I ask if it is okay If I stand beside the fucking tables out from under the roof to load?
RO says no.
So I ask if I can stand back behind the tables and roof to load? Also added the CAS shooters get to move around WAY out in front of the tables.
RO says no. And added if I questioned him any further I would be ejected from the property.
That did it. I left. Never been back.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:08:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Cherokee National Forest public range in east TN. 15 years ago. As you approach the range you know your getting close because the amount of bullet holes in the road signs increases.

This place was crazy. The only time there was ever more than 1 shooter was weekends or around deer season. There was a heavy steel lock box with a trust system, you put a dollar in an envelope, tore a little numbered slip off it and then dropped it into the very heavy steel and very shot up lock box. The money was supposed to be used for range upkeep. Very simple range, 3 benches, max 100 yards. It looked like people would just pull up and shoot up the whole range, benches and all. A nice wooden billboard posted safety rules, completely riddled with bullets. They would shoot the legs off the benches, we are talking like wood 6x6's shot in two.

On the weekends many of the people that would show up were down right stupid and dangerous. I saw new shooters who thought it was okay to walk down range while everyone else is firing to hang their targets Getting swept was a common occurrence.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:21:18 AM EDT
[#46]
FWIW OP never said he was going to kill the guy.  Just drop him; which could imply a variety of different shots potentially taken.  He could have been planning on shooting him in the leg or something.

I'm going to side with OP and assume that he never had a thought of outright killing the guy, but instead just "dropping" him.  I will also assume that the OP is proficient enough with his rifle that he felt confident he could make a debilitating limb shot or such (not factoring in the bleeding out factor.)

In addition,

IF the above is true then go OP and fuck that guy.

IF the above is not true however and/or the OP was just trying to scare the guy then OP could have been really fucked.

Regardless, OP is lucky that the aforementioned individual was not the type of person that would willingly go the police.

Next time OP, just pack up and leave.  Unless you have nothing to lose, potentially going to prison is not worth it.  You can shoot another day.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:27:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Sounds much gentler than my first time. I got the single shot 12 gauge initiation
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:33:45 AM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it one of these French fry holsters from Roy Rogers?http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uezwObK82U0/UWcqOwe4T0I/AAAAAAAAMyg/F56B1pW_Ck0/s1600/ROY+ROGERS+HOLSTER.JPG

Nope, cardboard from a shipping box with packing tape holding it together and looped through his belt.  Guy had a cheap S&W .22 revolver (not sure on the model, but the box was priced at $139 new).  Some trust funder who couldn't mind their own business called him out in front of everyone on having a cardboard holster, his response was "I'd rather have a gun than a holster".   I spoke with him for awhile and let him shoot what I had brought, hell of a nice guy, just poor.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:35:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
About a month ago I was at the indoor range I always go to, shooting my awesome Winchester 94 357. While I was getting checked in I saw a guy come in with a pistol case, asking to go to the pistol range. He looked to be in his early fifties. I believe he mentioned he was LEO, I think formerly, and he was there to qualify for his carry permit. I went on to shoot for about an hour.

When I came out of the range one of the employees, the RO, was looking pretty aggravated and he was speaking to another employee. He was explaining what had happened. The LEO guy had shot the target carrier SEVENTEEN times. The RO told him he was done, expelled him from the range, and billed him $250 for repair of the carrier.
View Quote

Did he qualify?  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:36:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Cherokee National Forest public range in east TN. 15 years ago. As you approach the range you know your getting close because the amount of bullet holes in the road signs increases.This place was crazy. The only time there was ever more than 1 shooter was weekends or around deer season. There was a heavy steel lock box with a trust system, you put a dollar in an envelope, tore a little numbered slip off it and then dropped it into the very heavy steel and very shot up lock box. The money was supposed to be used for range upkeep. Very simple range, 3 benches, max 100 yards.
View Quote

as soon as i seen this thread i was going to post about this exact same range.  until just recently this was the only place i had to shoot close by me.  generally i would try to leave straight from work in the morning and head there to zero a rifle, or shoot my pistols or whatever it was i felt like i needed to take my life into my own hands to go do that day.  occasionally, however, i would have to go in the afternoons, and that's when the neck beards really come out.  one day i was with a couple of guys from my guard unit and we were shooting our ars and whatnot.  i waited until everyone was done shooting, and proceeded down the line and made it clear that i was going to place my target at the 100 yd line so we could zero my new 6.5 and steiner scope.  everyone was cool and i head down range set the box out and turn back.  as i get turned around i notice my friend chewin the guy on the bench next to us ass, get back and ask what was going on.  turns out the man with his wife and son had loaded his 12 gauge pump and was getting ready to send some 00 buck into his shoot n see target at 50 yds while my back was turned.  it was at that point i packed my shit and haven't been back since.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top