BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Better notify Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think you are allowed to distill for your personal use. You can't sell it though
Nope.  

Beer and wine is Okay.  No distilling for drinking

It's illegal to concentrate alcohol by removing water by any means, including freezing. So even apple jack is illegal.

They pay taxes on every gallon they make.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#2]
it costs $250,000 for a license.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you are allowed to distill for your personal use. You can't sell it though
Nope.  

It's illegal to concentrate alcohol by removing water by any means, including freezing. So even apple jack is illegal.

Fun fact: the reason a "fifth" exists is because it was just below a cutoff in the tax codes.  Anything below a quarter gallon had a lower tax burden making "fifths" more economical for purchasers.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nope.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.  

My neighbor a popo office thought it was legal too.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Just to clarify, here are the rules from the .gov.

http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/home-distilling.shtml
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
  Fun fact: the reason a "fifth" exists is because it was just below a cutoff in the tax codes. Anything below a quarter gallon had a lower tax burden making "fifths" more economical for purchasers.            
View Quote

That explains it!  Ironically, the 750 ml bottle is closest to it's non-metric predecessor, with only a difference of 7 ml.

It is a funny thing that the people in the US who best understand the metric system drink.

Though, I notice that many of them will still buy a "quart" or a "pint".
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That explains it!  Ironically, the 750 ml bottle is closest to it's non-metric predecessor, with only a difference of 7 ml.

It is a funny thing that the people in the US who best understand the metric system drink.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fun fact: the reason a "fifth" exists is because it was just below a cutoff in the tax codes. Anything below a quarter gallon had a lower tax burden making "fifths" more economical for purchasers.            

Don't forget the druggies.  They've been using kilograms (keys) and grams for years.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Sinners gonna sin tax.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Methanol, is why they claim it's illegal now.

In most cases you don't generate enough Methanol to do any harm (assuming you are even using grains). But if you make a 200 gallon batch and drink the foreshot you WILL go blind and/or die.

But it should be noted that distilling doesn't create Methanol, only separates it. Methanol is created during fermentation and exists even in homebrewed beer. But separating it out and drinking it is what makes it so deadly.

It's really sad they think people are so stupid they have to protect us. It's not like people get in a car and drive 100mph the first time they're behind the wheel. Like anything, you learn the proper way to do it and do it safe and it should be 100% legal.

The sad part is I have 9 years of Chem E education and probably know more about the science of distilling than most distilleries but it still illegal as hell for me to even own the components to distill in Maryland.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's the difference between brewing your own beer and distilling your own spirits?
View Quote

Just the process.  The government has arbitrarily decided that you can't make your own whiskey.  That's all there is to it.

LC
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
taxes/gov't cut
same reason NY is all up in arms to ban draft kings and that other betting fantasy site. It's not about gambling like they claim, the state has all sorts of legal gambling, it's due to them not paying the state a cut
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's not illegal if you pay your tax and get your stamp...

View Quote

It requires a lot more than just that.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#13]
We cannot do these things, becuase we no longer value liberty in this country, just the politics of war and fear
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We cannot do these things, becuase we no longer value liberty in this country, just the politics of war and fear
View Quote

The legalities surrounding the distillation of alcohol isn't anything new.  This isn't because of Obama.

ETA:  If anything, I am willing to bet that such laws came from zealot conservatives.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The legalities surrounding the distillation of alcohol isn't anything new.  This isn't because of Obama.

ETA:  If anything, I am willing to bet that such laws came from zealot conservatives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much as old as the nation:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#16]
you can make  you own wine and beer for home consumption, not shine

But like who's going to catch you?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fun fact: the reason a "fifth" exists is because it was just below a cutoff in the tax codes.  Anything below a quarter gallon had a lower tax burden making "fifths" more economical for purchasers.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Well, I guess not.
Stupid.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#19]
You can be on TV!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Fun fact: The federal government used to get a good bit of it's revenue from alcohol taxes.  That's why the BATFE's predictors were called revenuers and worked under the department of the treasury: they ensured the government got their revenue.  Thus the prohibition movement pushed for the income tax in order to create an alternate tax source to make prohibition feasible.  However, after the ratification of the 21st amendment neither the income tax nor the alcohol tax statutes were repealed.  Terrible things we still have as a result of prohibition:

Income Tax
National Firearms Act
NASCAR
View Quote

++
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
you can make  you own wine and beer for home consumption, not shine

But like who's going to catch you?
View Quote

Wait, shouldn't they rot in prison like the rest of the fucking dopers
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#22]
From what I've seen home distilling (illegal though it may be) is becoming much more popular.  I'm sure the "moonshiners" show and all the shitty commercial "moonshine" being sold is much of the cause.  I'd be surprised if we don't see a grass roots movement to amend the law soon.  It absolutely should be legal to distill at home for personal use.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In most cases you don't generate enough Methanol to do any harm (assuming you are even using grains). But if you make a 200 gallon batch and drink the heads you WILL go blind and/or die.

But it should be noted that distilling doesn't create Methanol, only separates it. Methanol is created during fermentation and exists even in homebrewed beer. But separating it out and drinking it is what makes it so deadly.

It's really sad they think people are so stupid they have to protect us. It's not like people get in a car and drive 100mph the first time they're behind the wheel. Like anything, you learn the proper way to do it and do it safe and it should be 100% legal.

The sad part is I have 9 years of Chem E education and probably know more about the science of distilling than most distilleries but it still illegal as hell for me to even own the components to distill in Maryland.
View Quote

A good 'shiner will know how much head and tail to cut to get a safe drinkable product. Killing the customers is bad for business.
The unscrupulous bootleggers distilling for volume during the prohibition era didn't care and poison whiskey was a real risk.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Some good info here, Steve Harris - battery1234.com guy....

imakemyowngas.com

Obviously I do not condone anything illegal or against the morals of this website,
,including the slightest hint of cleavage or possibly an ass cheek.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's not illegal to distill alcohol.  It's illegal to distill it and sell it without giving the government their cut.
View Quote

Please no one take this retarded advice
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
From what I've seen home distilling (illegal though it may be) is becoming much more popular.  I'm sure the "moonshiners" show and all the shitty commercial "moonshine" being sold is much of the cause.  I'd be surprised if we don't see a grass roots movement to amend the law soon.  It absolutely should be legal to distill at home for personal use.
View Quote

A grass roots movement would milk my prostate. Unfortunately, it would meet a shit-ton of opposition.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Pretty much as old as the nation:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, there was liberty for 4 years then... This law should have been repealed a long time ago.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#28]
1. Posted just above about the Whiskey Rebellion.It's still with us.

2. The 21st Amendment introduces the 3 tiered system of distribution. It adds allot of taxing (at least it is in WV)..

3. The difference between distillation & Fermentation of beer & wine is: Fermentation is the process of converting sugar into alcohol via yeast &/or bacteria. Distillation is the process of  boiling off the alcohol vapors from a fermented liquid (sour mash, sugar wash, beer or wine.).
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#29]
From Wikipedia:
Congress set low excise taxes on only a few goods, such as whiskey, rum, tobacco, snuff and refined sugar. These low excise taxes accounted for only a small percentage of the federal income (see table on U.S. Historical Taxes). Tariffs (custom duties) were initially by far the largest source of federal income. The excise tax on whiskey was so despised by western farmers who had no easy way to transport their bulky grain harvests to market without converting them into alcohol that it led to the Whiskey Rebellion, which had to be quelled by Washington calling up the militia and suppressing the rebellious farmers, all of whom were later pardoned. In the days before steamboats, canals, railroads, etc. bulky cargo could not economically be shipped far. The whiskey excise tax collected so little and was so despised that it was abolished by President Thomas Jefferson in 1802.

In the Napoleonic Wars and the War of 1812 the imports and tariff taxes in the United States plummeted and Congress in 1812 brought back the excise tax on whiskey to partially compensate for the loss of customs/tariff revenue. Within a few years customs duties brought in enough federal income to abolish again nearly all federal taxes except tariffs. When the United States public debt was finally paid off in 1834, President Andrew Jackson abolished the excise taxes and reduced the customs duties (tariffs) in half.

Excise taxes stayed essentially zero until the American Civil War brought a need for much more federal revenue. Excise taxes were reintroduced on a wider range of items and income taxes were introduced.

By about 1916 the loans taken out during the Civil War were all paid off and the excise taxes were again set very low. On January 16, 1919 the 18th Amendment was passed and alcohol production, sale and transport were essentially prohibited. Taxing alcohol products would have produced almost no income, given that alcohol sales and production had gone underground. All federal excise taxes remained essentially zero for the next ten years.

During the Great Depression (1929–1939) President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Congress started reintroducing excise taxes to increase federal income which had dropped because of the much lower incomes and the resulting lower income tax collections. On December 5, 1933 the 21st Amendment was ratified and alcohol production became legal again. The healthy excise tax on now-legal alcoholic beverages paid about one third of all federal taxes during the Great Depression.
View Quote

Basically, blame FDR.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's what the ATF has to say about it:
Home Distilling

While individuals of legal drinking age may produce wine or beer at home for personal or family use, Federal law strictly prohibits individuals from producing distilled spirits at home (see 26 United States Code (U.S.C.) 5042(a)(2) and 5053(e)). Producing distilled spirits at any place other than a TTB-qualified distilled spirits plant can expose you to Federal charges for serious offenses and lead to consequences including, but not necessarily limited to, the following:

Within title 26 of the United States Code, section 5601 sets out criminal penalties for activities including the following. Offenses under this section are felonies that are punishable by up to 5 years in prison, a fine of up to $10,000, or both, for each offense.

5601(a)(1) – Possession of an unregistered still.
5601(a)(2) – Engaging in business as a distiller without filing an application and receiving notice of registration.
5601(a)(6) – Distilling on a prohibited premises. (Under 26 U.S.C. 5178(a)(1)(B), a distilled spirits plant may not be located in a residence or in sheds, yards, or enclosures connected to a residence.)
5601(a)(7) – Unlawful production or use of material fit for production of distilled spirits.
5601(a)(8) – Unlawful production of distilled spirits.
5601(a)(11) – Purchase, receipt, and/or processing of distilled spirits when the person who does so knows or has reasonable grounds to believe that Federal excise tax has not been paid on the spirits.
5601(a)(12) – Removal or concealment of distilled spirits on which tax has not been paid.

Under 26 U.S.C. 5602, engaging in business as a distiller with intent to defraud the United States of tax is a felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison, a fine of up to $10,000, or both.

Under 26 U.S.C. 5604(a)(1), transporting, possessing, buying, selling, or transferring any distilled spirit unless the container bears the closure required by 26 U.S.C. 5301(d) (i.e., a closure that must be broken in order to open the container) is a felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison, a fine of up to $10,000, or both, for each offense.

Under 26 U.S.C. 5613, all distilled spirits not closed, marked, and branded as required by law and the TTB regulations shall be forfeited to the United States. In addition, 26 U.S.C. 5615(1) provides that unregistered stills and/or distilling apparatus also will be forfeited.

Under 26 U.S.C. 5615(3), whenever any person carries on the business of a distiller without having given the required bond or with the intent to defraud the United States of tax on distilled spirits, the personal property of that person located in the distillery, and that person's interest in the tract of land on which the still is located, shall be forfeited to the United States.

Under 26 U.S.C. 5686, possessing liquor or property intended to be used in violation of the law is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in prison, a fine of up to $5,000, or both. Such liquor and property is also subject to the seizure and forfeiture provisions in 26 U.S.C. 5688.

Under 26 U.S.C. 7201, any person who willfully attempts to evade or defeat any Internal Revenue Code tax (including the tax on distilled spirits) has committed a felony and shall be fined up to $100,000, imprisoned for up to 5 years, or both, plus the cost of prosecution.

Under 26 U.S.C. 7301, any property subject to tax, or raw materials and/or equipment for the production of such property, in the possession of any person for the purpose of being sold or removed in violation of the internal revenue laws may be seized and shall be forfeited to the United States. In addition, any property (including aircraft, vehicles, and vessels) used to transport or used as a container for such property or materials may be seized and shall be forfeited to the United States. Further, 26 U.S.C. 7302 adds that it is unlawful to possess any property intended for use, or which has been used, in violation of the internal revenue laws; no property rights shall exist in any such property.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A good 'shiner will know how much head and tail to cut to get a safe drinkable product. Killing the customers is bad for business.
The unscrupulous bootleggers distilling for volume during the prohibition era didn't care and poison whiskey was a real risk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In most cases you don't generate enough Methanol to do any harm (assuming you are even using grains). But if you make a 200 gallon batch and drink the heads you WILL go blind and/or die.

Major distilleries like jb and jd use a continuous still and make no cuts, the still creates nothing it just separates it. You can't drink the foreshots alone but if blended back in create no more danger than commercial booze. Small distilleries make clean cuts and deliver a superior product no doubt  but the going blind shit is an old wives tale.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Follow the money. If the Gov can tax it, it's a revenue stream that must not be interrupted. If you bypass the Gov revenue stream you will meet with legislation to prevent it.

View Quote

It's a tax that goes back about 100 years I think  it originated in 1865 formally.

It's just  like  Marijuana laws.  My state allows distilling but it's illegal federally.

Basically the ATF are faggots per usual plus the federal government likes to get involved in everything.  Weed gets ignored a lot these days but not spirits.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#33]
You can distill alcohol legally

You cannot distill alcohol legally

Hope we clarified it for you OP
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Having the equipment is legal.
Having the ingredients is legal.

As soon as you light the burners you're in federal violation and subject to arrest for MULTIPLE infractions of federal law.
View Quote

I was just wondering if it was like having an AK and having F/A parts and a drilling jig - all constituting intent to manufacture something unlicensed, untaxed, and illegal even if there's absolutely no intent...
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That is what I don't understand.  Beer and wine are fine.  But distill?  Bad boy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the difference between brewing your own beer and distilling your own spirits?

That is what I don't understand.  Beer and wine are fine.  But distill?  Bad boy.

Thanks Jimmy Carter!  

Hard liquor is still off limits
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#36]
•5601(a)(1) – Possession of an unregistered still.
View Quote

So, does this mean all those stills on Amazon are illegal?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You don't need any license or stamp to distill.
View Quote

Legally you need a license

FtheATF
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I hope every one understands that these stills are to be used for distilling water.

I use a lot of distilled water when rust bluing guns.
View Quote

Yep just like glass water tobacco pipes.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#39]
The are the solvent trap of the booze world.....also they are for "educational purposes only"

Even water stills for home use have to very very small to be legal. Edit, in the USA the max size for a legal home water still is 1 gal boiler capacity.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Major distilleries like jb and jd use a continuous still and make no cuts, the still creates nothing it just separates it. You can't drink the foreshots alone but if blended back in create no more danger than commercial booze. Small distilleries make clean cuts and deliver a superior product no doubt  but the going blind shit is an old wives tale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will most definitely go blind if you drink a bunch of methanol.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I call bullshit on this, unless it's just New York being extra retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.  

I call bullshit on this, unless it's just New York being extra retarded.

No it's federal, and this is the one and only area where NY has one of the best laws in the country.

After jumping through the federal hoops it is a simple rubber stamp at the state level to open a micro distillery.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, as long as they are for water or essential oils they are perfectly legal (as long as your state laws allow it)

*This is based on the results of my own research on the subject and js in now way legal advice
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Is it a crime to possess moonshine that someone else distilled and gifted to me?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Is it a crime to possess moonshine that someone else distilled and gifted to me?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Within title 26 of the United States Code, section 5601 sets out criminal penalties for activities including the following. Offenses under this section are felonies that are punishable by up to 5 years in prison, a fine of up to $10,000, or both, for each offense.

5601(a)(11) – Purchase, receipt, and/or processing of distilled spirits when the person who does so knows or has reasonable grounds to believe that Federal excise tax has not been paid on the spirits.

Don't ask, don't tell.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No, as long as they are for water or essential oils they are perfectly legal (as long as your state laws allow it)

*This is based on the results of my own research on the subject and js in now way legal advice
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One gal max size is legal for oils and h2o.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, however distilled spirits contain the same amount of methanol as their undistilled counterparts.....close to 0. If no cuts are made and the alcohols are blended( not drank jar by jar as removed from the run) nothing is different than most large scale productions as they do not remove the methanol at all.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, its allllll about the taxes. Not illegal to distill moonshine, just illegal not to pay the taxes on the sale.

J-
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.  

$13.50 per gal @ 100 proof on the federal level, plus an additional state tax that varies by the state.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they just leave all the higher alcohols in?  Ew.

Kharn

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This, its allllll about the taxes. Not illegal to distill moonshine, just illegal not to pay the taxes on the sale.

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

WRONG. It is ILLEGAL to distill spirits without proper licensing and there is no home use licence.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top