Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I was a fan of the Supra and 300z more so but the 3000 was a cool car. Wish the Japanese companies would offer some fun stuff without spending 911 money, I'm lookin at you Acura (NSX) and Lexus LFA. Don't start with the Yota/Subie twins; those cars need at least another 50hp to be serious. Lastly the Miata is really in a class by itself, kudos to Mazda for keeping that car pure but it's not a sports car.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I always dreamed of a high reving 4.0 liter V8 with twin turbo and all wheel drive, instead of a 3.0 V6. If they could get the weight down to 3400, it would be quite a car.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try working in an auto parts store, and listening to people complain about their Mitsubishis. It's enough to turn you away from them forever. They're about as bad as people who buy the older BMWs, thinking it'll make them "cool". All they do is make them "poor". Wait until they have to buy a battery for them!
View Quote

2004 330ci here. My battery came from Walmart and was 100.00

Your customers are doing it wrong, or you are selling them stuff they don't need or don't know any better.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was a fan of the Supra and 300z more so but the 3000 was a cool car. Wish the Japanese companies would offer some fun stuff without spending 911 money, I'm lookin at you Acura (NSX) and Lexus LFA. Don't start with the Yota/Subie twins; those cars need at least another 50hp to be serious. Lastly the Miata is really in a class by itself, kudos to Mazda for keeping that car pure but it's not a sports car.

View Quote

How do you figure that?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
While the Starion and Conquest were good looking cars, They were 3100 lbs and I would regularly walk them in my 85 GLH T and in my 87 GLHS it wouldn't be close.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The conquest was better and easier to work on
I had a fully decked out Starion, and a U2 mullet  .  Sweet ass car - but no AWD.

It hauled ass and could be souped up heavily.

They're still in high demand

While the Starion and Conquest were good looking cars, They were 3100 lbs and I would regularly walk them in my 85 GLH T and in my 87 GLHS it wouldn't be close.

There weren't too many cars in the day that could hang with the GLHS and a stg II logic module.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Always liked the look of them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No time, is the right time for Mitsubishi!
View Quote
lol former starion owener agreeing. Buddy has a lancer evo X and its pretty decent.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What made them so difficult to work on, just not enough room??
View Quote

The old school turbo cars everything was mechanical/vacuum based and in the 3000GT's case it was a transverse engine.

People bitch about how cars become harder and harder work on as time goes on but at the same time the newer turbo cars eliminated alot of mechanical things and now have a computer taking over those functions.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How do you figure that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure that?

It appears he thinks "sports car" means GT car.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Miata is one of the only examples of a classic sports car concept available to the average joe.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I tried to buy a used 1996 Spyder in 1999.  When I took it for a test drive, the retractable hardtop broke with the roof at its highest point in its arc.  I let them keep it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A technological tour de force.  Neat for their time.  I hated working on them.

You could get that fucker in a Spyder variant as well, with a power retractable hard top.

Just saw this on my local craigslist today.

A unicorn.

3000GT Spyder

Guy appears to have all manner of interesting Japanese sports cars. 2 NSXs, 280zx, 2nd gen MR2 (and a mustang).

ETA: As somebody who has a couple of 80s toyota pickups, I really feel for those who have a lust for that era Japanese performance cars and live here in California. Getting older stuff to pass smog is a cast iron motherfucker and gets even worse as these things age and parts become more scarce. My trucks are pretty analog, I can't imagine nursing something full of what was once whiz bang and now dreadfully obsolete technology through our emissions testing. Our junkyards have a pretty steady selection of 80s and early 90s performance cars in them that look like they were probably driven there. The Starquest cars make me sad when I see them, I so lusted after those in my younger days.

I used to be a Mitsubishi salesman back in the day. I sold one of the first Spyders in Texas.

They had the top chopped off by ASR and converted.  The car was ahead of it's time. The VCU was a nice touch  

A CEO for a food distributor came and bought one on his American Express platinum card.

I tried to buy a used 1996 Spyder in 1999.  When I took it for a test drive, the retractable hardtop broke with the roof at its highest point in its arc.  I let them keep it.
Damn!

I would not have fo'd either.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Supra>3000GT
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lastly the Miata is really in a class by itself, kudos to Mazda for keeping that car pure but it's not a sports car.

View Quote

Do you even sorts car brah?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I never drove a 3000 or the RX7, so I can't offer a comparison.  But I really enjoyed driving my 300ZXTT.  I don't miss working on it though... Who the heck thought it was a good idea to place one of the O2 sensors buried way down under the master cylinder and brake booster?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#15]

I miss my 2004.5 350Z. My first bona-fide sports car. Put nearly 200K on it before I traded it for a 2013 Accord coupe.

I'm looking for another one to buy; it was a gas guzzler, but damn, it was fun to drive.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I've always loved the 3000GT VR4.

I knew better than to purchase one though, half of the used cars out there for sale had something wrong with the transmission. I would really love to own one that has been highly modified to insane horsepower levels with a drive line that has been bulletproofed (if such a thing is even possible).

I've seen a one-off build where a guy took a '99 3000GT SL and converted it to a RWD LS1, L460E with a VR4 rear end, which is supposed to be pretty strong.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lastly the Miata is really in a class by itself, kudos to Mazda for keeping that car pure but it's not a sports car.

Give the guy a break. These things have what, like 100 odd horsepower?

Compare that to a car that has some real horsepower like an RX-7 or similar, the Miata just doesn't hold the same appeal.

In before "the Miata is the only TRUE sportscar, blah blah blah"

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Compare that to a car that has some real horsepower like an RX-7 or similar, the Miata just doesn't hold the same appeal.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachments/focus-st-discussions/14012d1373994117-i-don-t-like-fwd-cars-miataposter.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachments/focus-st-discussions/14012d1373994117-i-don-t-like-fwd-cars-miataposter.jpg

You have no idea what a sports car is at all and your "gay" bullshit is...................well..................gay.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You have no idea what a sports car is at all and your "gay" bullshit is...................well..................gay.
View Quote

Honestly Larry, no offense, but I really don't care about the true meaning of the word sports car.

I respect the Miata for what it is, I actually have plans to buy one for myself and modify it into a frankenstein track car - but in factory form it's just not all that appealing to many of us guys for obvious reasons.

Some of you folks here in GD try to make the Miata out to be something much bigger than it really is. It's a neat car, but it comes with severe limitations, while also suffering from being proportionally effeminate.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Honestly Larry, no offense, but I really don't care about the true meaning of the word sports car.

I respect the Miata for what it is, I actually have plans to buy one for myself and modify it into a frankenstein track car - but in factory form it's just not all that appealing to many of us guys for obvious reasons.

Some of you folks here in GD try to make the Miata out to be something much bigger than it really is. It's a neat car, but it comes with severe limitations, while also suffering from being proportionally effeminate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't care what a sports car is yet you tried to tell us what one is.

In factory form, it is damn appealing to those who actually know how to drive.

If by "track car", you mean drag car, oh please, but a stock Miata on a road course is a total blast.

Do my Porsche and RX7 Turbo appeal to me more?  Yes, but a Miata on a road course is a hoot and is far from "gay".
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No I didn't. I am not going to attempt to argue the meaning of the word. I am simply stating that it's a pointless argument to make.

So is an alternative nimble car with a little more interior space and triple the power output.

If by "track car", you mean drag car, oh please, but a stock Miata on a road course is a total blast.

Uhh no. I am talking about a road course machine.

Do my Porsche and RX7 Turbo appeal to me more?  Yes, but a Miata on a road course is a hoot and is far from "gay".

I am aware of this. But it still doesn't belong in the same group, category or class as other Japanese performance cars.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep, It is a heavy pig. I bought the sister car Stealth RT TT.  That damn thing is so much fun though doing 140 and it still says "I want more"

Pay attention to AWD, make sure the transfer case does not leak, lock up can be catastrophic. Early years had problems with rear output shaft stripping. Plenty of parts are available and well supported by 3si group.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No I didn't. I am not going to attempt to argue the meaning of the word. I am simply stating that it's a pointless argument to make.

So is an alternative nimble car with a little more interior space and triple the power output.

I am aware of this. But it still doesn't belong in the same group, category or class as other Japanese performance cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The comment was made that a Miata is not a sports car.  That is all I have discussed and all this crap is pointless.  A Miata is a sports car, it is the epitome of the term.

It pretty much saved convertibles and sports cars when it came out.

A lot what you are talking about is GT cars and is irrelevant to the discussion about sports cars.

And a lot of those cars with triple the power and more room handle like shit and Miatas regularly beat them on road courses in sanctioned races.

What's pointless is the whole "triple the power" and "more room" crap.  Several of us were talking about sports cars and you interjected all that nonsense into a discussion about what a sports car is and you threw all that in and now tell us about how it's "pointless".

It's not pointless to those of us that were discussing it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What's pointless is the whole "triple the power" and "more room" crap.  Several of us were talking about sports cars and you interjected all that nonsense into a discussion about what a sports car is and you threw all that in and now tell us about how it's "pointless".

View Quote

Larry, this is a discussion about the 3000GT, not a history lesson about the origin of the term "sports car".

It has a loose definition with a wide range of use in published literature. ATLDiver made an assertion that the Miata is not in the same class as the other cars and that turned into a discussion about dictionary definitions.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Dodge Stealth, AMC Eagle Talon, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mitsubishi 3000... all the same chassis and power plant, all had available awd.

I test drove a Talon TSI once. WOW!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's a pretty neat article about a guy that bought a well taken care of VR4.

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/i-just-lost-25-500-on-my-mitsubishi-3000gt-vr4-and-i-c-1727993125

It makes me want to find one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Larry, this is a discussion about the 3000GT, not a history lesson about the origin of the term "sports car".

It has a loose definition with a wide range of use in published literature. ATLDiver made an assertion that the Miata is not in the same class as the other cars and now we are having a discussion about dictionary definitions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has a loose definition with a wide range of use in published literature. ATLDiver made an assertion that the Miata is not in the same class as the other cars and now we are having a discussion about dictionary definitions.

No, he made the assertion that is was not a sports car.  That's what I and some others were discussing.

You crap is irrelevant to THAT discussion and that is what you quoted and started going on about nothing useful.

Now you are just wasting everyone's time by going on about what you say you aren't going on about.

And it does not have a "loose" definition.  That crap is for the "you knew what he meant" crowd.

Regardless, the Miata IS a sports car despite all your sidetracking.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Owned a '92 in my younger days. Fast as fuck off the line, to the dismay of many 911 owners that didn't have turbos. Limited mod capability unless you changed out the fuel pump and reworked the fuel injectors to deliver more fuel. I raised the boost and put on a straight pipe exhaust and it sounded mean as shit. Like most Japanese cars of the day, it rattled like hell after a couple of years.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#30]
It wasn't the VR-4 but here are pics of my 1995 3000GT on the day I bought it.  Sure it isn't the twin turbo but it was a nice looking car and they weren't moving too well and they were having incredible deals on them at the time.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It has a loose definition with a wide range of use in published literature. ATLDiver made an assertion that the Miata is not in the same class as the other cars and that turned into a discussion about dictionary definitions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ATL specifically said the Miata is not a sports car and then implied the 3000GT is.

At this point, the Miata is basically the quintessential sports car, and it follows the classic formula. The 3000GT is a GT car.  The rest of the world knows it as the Mitsubishi GTO.

Sports cars are usually more basic and spartan, like a Jeep Wrangler for carving around on paved roads. They usually don't have many comforts or much room for stuff. GT cars are typically bigger, more powerful, and more comfortable. Sports cars are for tearing around on back roads and race tracks while GT cars are geared more towards long distance drives, hence the "T" for touring.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How do you figure that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure that?

Well the convertible top is one thing; they do have hardtop though. Suppose I shouldn't be too harsh, I do like the Miata for what it is but I consider it a sporty car but I like a little more oomph under the hood.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure that?

No, sports car equals two seats but the Miata is a convertible and a tad less power than I like. I have no hate for Miata's but I don't put them in the same line as say a Lotus, Cayman, Corvette, etc. Y'all Miata guys can re-adjust your panties.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well the convertible top is one thing; they do have hardtop though. Suppose I shouldn't be too harsh, I do like the Miata for what it is but I consider it a sporty car but I like a little more oomph under the hood.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure that?

The old British roadsters created the term.  The old MGs, Triumphs, etc started the phrase and none of them have "oomph" under the hood.

Being a drop top does not preclude a car from being a sports car nor does a lack of power.

Having a hardtop and having power doesn't preclude it either as long as it's two doors and two seats.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No, sports car equals two seats but the Miata is a convertible and a tad less power than I like. I have no hate for Miata's but I don't put them in the same line as say a Lotus, Cayman, Corvette, etc. Y'all Miata guys can re-adjust your panties.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure that?

I have a Cayman.  It is a sports car but so is the Miata.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Roadsters are a subset of sportscars as are GTs and supercars and pony cars and even muscle cars and 4 door econobox based homologation model rallycars.

Saying a Miata isn't a sportscar is  like trying to argue a Jack Russell isn't a dog because it's not a Great Dane.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#37]

I was never really happy with the car overall.  Had upgraded turbos, intercoolers, injectors, tons of other mods.  Wish I had went with the FD rx7.  Car just felt to big and heavy.  Dont think
I ever had it out where something didnt go wrong.  Drive line is a  terrible design and motor is a vacuum nightmare.  I never got used to the 4 wheel steering.  I like my current 350z much better even though its not as fast, it feels much more rounded of a car.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I had one that was all wheel steering and spent hours stripping it down and putting a half cageinto it.

Was crazy fast and was a blast to drive
Sold it to a friend and he lost control and dropped it 12' into a creekbed.

I miss that car
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I loved this era of cars.  I had every single one of them:

1991 Dodge Stealth RT (non turbo)
1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1993.5 Toyota Supra TT
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
1993 Mazda RX7 R1
1995 Acura NSX
1995 Mazda RX7 R2

I owned all of those cars between 1993 and 2004.  I had modified each of those cars to varying degrees.  The most expensive car was my 1995 RX-7.  I had put a 3 rotor in it, and had more than $100,000 in modifications done to that car.  It had a dog-box transmission, made over 1100 rwhp, and I had a touch-screen computer I molded into the dash.  I finished most of that car at the end of 2002, early 2003.

Here is a funny video of a drive to the Rotary revolution back in 2004 or so.  It was running a tad rich (11.1:1 afr) while driving in 5th gear, dipping down into the high 10's on decel.  It needed more tuning.  At that time, I didn't know it was shooting flames.  Yet, it was raining during the trip and cars continued to come up next me with their cameras on.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure that?

Or a drag racer.  Do you even live your life a quarter mile at a time, bro?

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Bought a 91 Nissan 300ZXTT ...loved that car..Put a Jim Wolf kit on it just to get it up to 400hp which was decent back then.  Once was making a beer run and ran into my ex-gf who was sitting in her new boyfriend's Ford Festiva with a rusted out floorboard..She left me because I was working full time and getting my MBA at night...Its like Karma was my personal assassin that day

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:23:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Dodge Stealth, AMC Eagle Talon, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mitsubishi 3000... all the same chassis and power plant, all had available awd.

I test drove a Talon TSI once. WOW!
View Quote

The Talon and Eclipse were DSMs, not AMCs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:35:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Way back in the day, when mullets were just waning, I really wanted one, but never pulled the trigger.  

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae29/littleredman888/dac239fc34bb496c90c9c38189ad821a_zpsms7jisib.jpg

View Quote

Looks like 2Wycked.  Carl approves.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top