BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep I go to work and work then go home and stay home. I buy groceries at 3 am and  order most everything online. I have a small group of good friends and that's it.
View Quote

I cant imagine having a small group of friends . Lol

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I may be an introvert, but I'm not shy. Was when I was little though.. I am never lonely, and the only thing that tends to "bore" me is people who can't stop talking.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

you can be anything you want to be if you have enough nut sack

View Quote
As an introvert, I can't imagine wanting to be an extrovert.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#4]
no
now leave me alone
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

this is me also!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I cannot stand people asking me if I'm mad hecause I don't feel like engaging in stupid small talk.
this is me also!
Yeah I never got that. Working with the public I've noticed being quieter than average really freaks out a subset of the population. It seems to be the people that are on the louder / gregarious spectrum of personalities. My theory is many are much more insecure than most and that's why they are loud.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
do you self described introverts see that as a negative trait?
View Quote

Nope. Own it. Be your own man (or woman, or gender-confused whatever)
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sorry dude, but you sound pretty ignorant on the subject. This is common, though. Most people can't conceive of people that think differently than they do.

Being introverted is not "inhibited and shy". It's also not a choice, and whether or not it's a benefit or a detractor is entirely dependent on the person and the situation.

It's OK, though, you don't have to believe what those of us who actually ARE introverted say, you've got it all figured out, so plow on full steam ahead. We'll just sit back and enjoy the show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck no

being introverted is so boring

I could never be that way

Hey look, another one.  

You ever notice how everyone always tries to present themselves as better than they are?

Your comfort zone is something you can expand.

There are no limits on the kind of person you can be, that's a known fact.

Sorry dude, but you sound pretty ignorant on the subject. This is common, though. Most people can't conceive of people that think differently than they do.

Being introverted is not "inhibited and shy". It's also not a choice, and whether or not it's a benefit or a detractor is entirely dependent on the person and the situation.

It's OK, though, you don't have to believe what those of us who actually ARE introverted say, you've got it all figured out, so plow on full steam ahead. We'll just sit back and enjoy the show.

Psychiatry is junk science.  The fact that Jung or whoever made up a label for something means exactly dick.  On turd island.

You ever read up on psychological testing?  It's garbage.

People take this stuff and turn it into masturbation.

Like this thread.

Here we have a bunch of people congratulating themselves for being shy and anti-social.

But they explain that their shyness is part of the beautiful inner life that radiates creativity and thoughtfulness. The amazing life of the introvert!

They get to sit back and "enjoy the show" of the extroverted buffoons making fools of themselves.

And the extroverted people are noisy louts who are only extroverted because they're insecure and desperately seek approval!

I have a different psychological theory.

I think a person can be anything.  I think they can spend 12 hours directing thoughts inward and 12 hours directing thoughts outward.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep I go to work and work then go home and stay home. I buy groceries at 3 am and  order most everything online. I have a small group of good friends and that's it.

b/c you're not an introvert and draw energy from others...

Introverts are drained by others. We're constantly taking in information and analyzing it....so large groups overwhelm.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Psychiatry is junk science.  The fact that Jung or whoever made up a label for something means exactly dick.  On turd island.

Like this thread.

Here we have a bunch of people congratulating themselves for being shy and anti-social.

But they explain that their shyness is part of the beautiful inner life that radiates creativity and thoughtfulness. The amazing life of the introvert!

They get to sit back and "enjoy the show" of the extroverted buffoons making fools of themselves.

And the extroverted people are noisy louts who are only extroverted because they're insecure and desperately seek approval!

I think a person can be anything.  I think they can spend 12 hours directing thoughts inward and 12 hours directing thoughts outward.

View Quote

So when I say I'm introverted, and I'm not shy or antisocial, I'm just lying for some unbeknownst to me reason? Now you're just sounding like a dick.

"You don't think the way I do, so you're just making shit up. You should just do what I do!"

And the "radiating creativity and thoughtfulness" is more like "I know what my job is, let me go do it and I'll come up with great results" rather than the "let me bounce my idea off of everyone who will listen to validate my thoughts, and get their suggestions to cover all the shit I couldn't think of myself, then put it together, seek validation again, then get other people to help me do the work because I can't stand being alone for the time it would take to get this done!" method of people who can't be alone or left alone.

Introversion is not about being shy or antisocial. It's about pithy meaningless interactions being draining. It's about processing stimulus differently. It's about being very sensitive to stimuli and analyzing ALL of it, which is taxing on the mind.

Yeah, I can "be outgoing", but it's still going to be taxing to me. I can go be the life of the party, but I'm going to leave feeling drained rather than feeling pumped up.

Are you just simply refusing to believe that some people's brains work differently? In spite of actual evidence showing this very thing? (brain scans showing different reactions in different people to similar stimuli)  

Let me guess one thing about you - you're the type of guy who thinks people with depression can "just get over it", right?

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes I am very introverted. I hate being around people in large groups. It is very draining.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So when I say I'm introverted, and I'm not shy or antisocial, I'm just lying for some unbeknownst to me reason? Now you're just sounding like a dick.

"You don't think the way I do, so you're just making shit up. You should just do what I do!"

And the "radiating creativity and thoughtfulness" is more like "I know what my job is, let me go do it and I'll come up with great results" rather than the "let me bounce my idea off of everyone who will listen to validate my thoughts, and get their suggestions to cover all the shit I couldn't think of myself, then put it together, seek validation again, then get other people to help me do the work because I can't stand being alone for the time it would take to get this done!" method of people who can't be alone or left alone.

Introversion is not about being shy or antisocial. It's about pithy meaningless interactions being draining. It's about processing stimulus differently. It's about being very sensitive to stimuli and analyzing ALL of it, which is taxing on the mind.

Yeah, I can "be outgoing", but it's still going to be taxing to me. I can go be the life of the party, but I'm going to leave feeling drained rather than feeling pumped up.

Are you just simply refusing to believe that some people's brains work differently? In spite of actual evidence showing this very thing? (brain scans showing different reactions in different people to similar stimuli)  

Let me guess one thing about you - you're the type of guy who thinks people with depression can "just get over it", right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this thread.

You are my introverted Hero.  Seriously.  I'm a terminal Introvert.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this thread.

You just repeated the theme of this thread again, which is -

The people who self-identify that they are an "introvert" are amazingly thoughtful and self-reliant.

The people they identify as extroverts are noisy useless louts.

The people who dare to question the nonsense known as pop psychology are thoughtless dickheads who refuse to understand anyone but themselves.  (You added a nice little strawman about depression.)

People believe the most what they desire or fear the most.

If you ask any person to explain their thoughts, eventually you reach a point where they are just angrily repeating themselves.

If this baby game of applying labels to yourself makes you happy, then go for it.

I think it's based on a bunch of speculative untested nonsense.  Sorry.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think it's based on a bunch of speculative untested nonsense.

View Quote
Yep.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#14]
nah.  

i have to deal w/ the public everyday of my life.
i have a wife and 2 kids
i dont have time to be an introvert.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like to be alone or with my family.

I am great in groups, especially work related, but during these times I'm "in character."  It takes a lot of energy.  
View Quote

I've described it as assuming the persona for the situation.   It is how I can function in society.  Even then, it is sometimes an effort to keep from panicking.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Introverts are drained by others. We're constantly taking in information and analyzing it....so large groups overwhelm.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, no.....i have zero friends

Introvert is my middle name
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh

Yeah...I turn 40 in a couple weeks. Wife wants to have a party...I'm "meh." "Don't you want to have some friends over?" Friends? Not really...maybe a couple guys from work I guess...

Started thinking....I can think of 2, maybe 3, that I'd actually care to have around.  Out of like 30 guys at work And we're all ex-mil...so not like we don't have plenty in common and get along fine at work. But outside of work, I really don't care to have many people around. Wife's the exact opposite.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I thought I was, but then I found out I thrive on social interaction, and was just lonely and depressed. I'm a people person, and a social butterfly. I don't mind alone time every once in a while, but do much prefer the company of others.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not until the divorce.

Now all I do is work and watch TV.
View Quote

Your personality hasn’t changed, you’re just depressed. And that’s ok.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I have no issues with big crowds and things like that but my opinion of people in general has plummeted over the years.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The people who self-identify that they are an "introvert" are amazingly thoughtful and self-reliant.

The people who dare to question the nonsense known as pop psychology are thoughtless dickheads who refuse to understand anyone but themselves.  (You added a nice little strawman about depression.)

If you ask any person to explain their thoughts, eventually you reach a point where they are just angrily repeating themselves.

If this baby game of applying labels to yourself makes you happy, then go for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like this thread.

Did an introvert steal your puppy?

Seriously, switch to decaf. I'm picturing you as you type this: red-faced, bug eyed, veins popping, pounding away at the keyboard spraying spittle on the screen as you angry hyperventilate.

I can picture that because of my vivid imagination and creativity.

And because it's probably no too far from the truth.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#23]
No, I actually can speak easily in front of groups and I easily meet new people.
I'm a very private person, though , so I don't open up easily.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you DO think everyone's brains are wired the same and we all think the same, and whatever behaviors we have that are different than yours, we should just concentrate a little harder, then we can all behave just like you!

GOT IT.

You're basically taking the anti line of "guns are all the same, why do you need more than one?" and applying it to people's brains, how they think, their personalities and how they process input and stimulus. That certain traits that are demonstrably different aren't really different.

I bet you're a regular in all the threads with "STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE" posts, too, huh?  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Not when I am around fellow introverts..."Did you find the hydrostatic pressure of the drilling mud to be suffcient on #3 of the petrophysics homework?"
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

A lot of extroverts seem to take exception to it.

Some are outraged that I don't run my suck as much as they do. "Why aren't you talking? You need to smile. Right now."

There definitely are drawbacks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#27]
... Not certain

At times I see myself as introverted, and others, extroverted

WTF?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#28]
While I sometimes enjoy the company of a few other people, I'm usually happiest by my lonesome.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Fuck no

View Quote

Thanks. We needed some full-blown retardation in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I am used to speaking to groups.  

They just don't understand swamp talk.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep, enjoy it now that I learned to stop fighting it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Some are outraged that I don't run my suck as much as they do. "Why aren't you talking? You need to smile. Right now."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd probably be considered an introvert and I wish I wasn't. I don't think it's done me any favors working a job where I deal with the public.

I used to take shit for being quiet and not smiling a lot in both my personal and professional life. Now that I'm older I get that a lot less. I guess it's a lot more potentially hazardous for an adult to talk shit to another adult.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm introverted.  Dealing with people wears me out.  I also believe that I'm the loudest introvert in the world.  Introverted Type-A will kill me before I'm 65, I imagine.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:00:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck no

People are not impressed when you write insults on the internet.

The exact opposite is true, it makes you look defensive and weak.

My viewpoint is that these faux psychology labels are meaningless and self-limiting, even though people blow out their o-ring trying to valorize them.

This frustrated several guys.

So they replied with insults and goofy straw man arguments.

It doesn't reflect on me in any way, it reflects on you.

99.999% of people don't know what the terms introversion and extroversion actually mean.

They mistake these labels used for empirical assessment of personality traits for a specific brain function that Jung was describing.

Introversion and extroversion are related to how the brain experiences rewards for stimulus.

Since human beings are highly socialized animals, the effect is often observed in social behavior.

But you could be an extremely extroverted person and still prefer solitude.  

Most of the personality traits that you guys are describing technically belong to the "intellect" realm.

Some of you guys describing yourselves as introverts are actually describing a narcissistic personality.

If you dig down into any topic, you'll find that what most people think about that topic is so dumbed down that it's meaningless.

Most things are too complicated to be properly understood without putting a lot of work into it.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:02:54 AM EDT
[#39]
ISTP.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My viewpoint is that these faux psychology labels are meaningless and self-limiting, even though people blow out their o-ring trying to valorize them.

99.999% of people don't know what the terms introversion and extroversion actually mean.

They mistake these labels used for empirical assessment of personality traits for a specific brain function that Jung was describing.

Introversion and extroversion are related to how the brain experiences rewards for stimulus.

Since human beings are highly socialized animals, the effect is often observed in social behavior.

Most of the personality traits that you guys are describing technically belong to the "intellect" realm.

Some of you guys describing yourselves as introverts are actually describing a narcissistic personality.

If you dig down into any topic, you'll find that what most people think about that topic is so dumbed down that it's meaningless.

Most things are too complicated to be properly understood without putting a lot of work into it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck no

You're such a smart and unique special snowflake.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:09:42 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck no

Careful with that petard, Eugene.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:15:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck no

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:19:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If I had the energy I could probably dance into the white house. Honestly though being in large groups of people is more physical draining then working.
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:20:57 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If I had the energy I could probably dance into the white house. Honestly though being in large groups of people is more physical draining then working.

No.
You are 10.1% correct.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yep, although most peoples' idea of what an introvert is is way offline.
View Quote

Yep, and this.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:23:10 AM EDT
[#46]
ENTJ per the Myers Briggs personality type.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a hyper-analytical extrovert. Being around people gives me energy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:31:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
ENTJ per the Myers Briggs personality type.

View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:34:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck no

I agree that we extroverts rock, but Wingnutx rocks harder.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:36:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top