[#1]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:04:02 AM EDT
[#2]
IWB, no thumb break.

OWB, thumb break.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I wanted a holster for my new Glock 43 so I bought a DeSantis because it was available in a couple of days with prime shipping from Amazon-good luck walking into a gun store around here and finding a holster for a 43. I forgot how much I hate thumb snap holsters. Who buys these stupid things? I've never had a pistol come loose from a decent holster. I doubt I would survive whatever could knock my glock 19 out of my Kramer.
View Quote

Whatever. Buy what you like and perform well with. Or just like, YMMV. Me, I'll stick with my DeSantis Cozy Partner. I loves it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:18:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh come on, you must have quality holsters, you know those thumb breaks belong back in the 80s  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... Everyone is different. I prefer them, especially for 1911s
Oh come on, you must have quality holsters, you know those thumb breaks belong back in the 80s  

I agree, but then again I have a quality holster. Wilson Combat makes phenomenal holsters.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:35:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've never had a pistol come loose from a decent holster.
View Quote

I have.

It's kind of nice in south Florida because nobody cares when you drop your gun in the middle of Dixie Highway on a sunny afternoon, but I'd rather it stayed in the holster.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:41:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
it's 2015, kydex is the only thing holsters should be made from, and as such, no thumb snap is needed.
View Quote

Uhhhh, no.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:43:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ever been to ECQC?  My rule for a holster is that when fully loaded I cannot turn it upside down and shake the gun out of it.

( I hate thumb breaks too)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

... Google, "Galco Fletch"

I know what the fletch is. I like Galco and all, I have had a few thumb breaks but stopped using them at least ten years ago. I have never come close to losing a pistol out of a holster  

Ever been to ECQC?  My rule for a holster is that when fully loaded I cannot turn it upside down and shake the gun out of it.

( I hate thumb breaks too)
Da Penguin said he likes His Kramer.......

Kramer's Holsters fit very tight......

It's hard to pull a Pistol out of one.

If it's not on a Belt, yet it comes out smoothly..

When on Your Belt.......
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:47:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Lots of great leather holsters with no strap. Look at Kramer, pricey but worth it  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't own a single plasticraptastic holster.  They are difficult to love.

Lots of great leather holsters with no strap. Look at Kramer, pricey but worth it  
What's even nicer, is when You find a Kramer @ a Gun Show....

I someone's Big Box of Holsters...

Got a IWB for a 1911 for $25....

Got the Belt Scabbard for my G35 for $40.....

Both are Horsehide & had very little wear on them......
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:49:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Having worked in uniform among crowds, I'm a believer in some sort of retention device.
View Quote
On a Holster like a Kramer.......

If you're not pulling it straight out, like you should, it binds...

Doesn't slow down your draw, but makes it harder for someone else to take it..
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:53:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

it's 2015, kydex is the only thing holsters should be made from, and as such, no thumb snap is needed.
View Quote

Both of my carry gun holsters are kydex. It really is a superior material for a lot of reasons. The only 2 places where leather beats kydex is heat resistance (don't leave kydex in a hot car) and finish wear. Kydex will get grit embedded in it and can wear the finish of your gun.

Plusses are solid, adjustable retention, sweat and water resistance, durability, won't stain your clothes if it gets wet, stays open for re-holstering if using IWB, many are adjustable for belt height and draw angle, and plenty more I am forgetting. To quality kydex holsters are usually cheaper than top quality leather as well. And kydex is available in different colors, textures and patterns.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:55:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought a DeSantis ........ I forgot how much I hate thumb snap holsters. Who buys these stupid things?
View Quote

Is this a trick question?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:55:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I LOVE my ALS Safariland. I use mine with an M&P and a weapon light for my battle belt. A bunch of MARSOC guys that I worked with used these for their 1911's and G19s. No problems on SWCC boats, jumps, or swimming
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I LOVE my ALS Safariland. I use mine with an M&P and a weapon light for my battle belt. A bunch of MARSOC guys that I worked with used these for their 1911's and G19s. No problems on SWCC boats, jumps, or swimming
The ALS I have for My M&P .45 with a Light, also locks the Pistol in with the Light removed...

The older 6004 for My G35 with Light doesn't work without the Light..
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:59:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Both of my carry gun holsters are kydex. It really is a superior material for a lot of reasons. The only 2 places where leather beats kydex is heat resistance (don't leave kydex in a hot car) and finish wear. Kydex will get grit embedded in it and can wear the finish of your gun.

Plusses are solid, adjustable retention, sweat and water resistance, durability, won't stain your clothes if it gets wet, stays open for re-holstering if using IWB, many are adjustable for belt height and draw angle, and plenty more I am forgetting. To quality kydex holsters are usually cheaper than top quality leather as well. And kydex is available in different colors, textures and patterns.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know how I know You haven't used a real quality Leather Holster?  

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:05:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We used thumb break holsters.  So you're better than the U.S. Navy, huh?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Have a number of snap holsters but no longer use them. So far my newer (last five years) holsters have held it in place.

Have fallen a number of times and have been concerned afterwards but it was always there. Yesterday fell pretty hard going up steps backwards .
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Holsters aren't made for flippers.
View Quote

There it is.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#20]
If the holster has enough retention without the strap, why can't you just cut the fucking strap off and move on with your life?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Want a holster? Go to the EE. Millions of holsters for cheap... Millions!

Anyone who pays full price for a production hoster is just throwing money away.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_7/161_Holsters.html
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I just bought a Simply Rugged off the EE for my G43 and its an incredibly nice holster!  I'd normally carry my G19 on my belt, but just in case I ever wanted to the G43 I picked this up.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a thumb break paddle holster for a 3" 1911.  DeSantis!

When you're a lefty, you want a holster that day, and you walk into a store and find one that fits your gun, you buy it.

It's not bad.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I carried a P229 in a Fletch from 1997 through 2007 as a Peace/Court Officer. It is essential to have that level of retention when there is the
very real possibility that someone may try to disarm you.

Edit - all my personal guns ride in kydex IWB, no additional retention needed; unless I'm on an ATV on in my UTV, then it's OWB, whatever's practical.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Uhhhh, no.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhhh, no.

-p.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Run full sprint for about 100 yards with your pistol in a holster, do some 4 count body builders, drag a dummy, low and high crawl...you will appreciate a thumb break.  

Oh wait...gunfights only happen with you standing and the badguys at your 12 oclock in neat lines like the range.  

Its funny when you are chasing someone and your buddy punt kicks his gun after it falls out of his holster...not funny for him...but funny
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Haven't yet lost a gun out of my Professional 100 holsters.  No thumb snap on those.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Run full sprint for about 100 yards with your pistol in a holster, do some 4 count body builders, drag a dummy, low and high crawl...you will appreciate a thumb break.  

Oh wait...gunfights only happen with you standing and the badguys at your 12 oclock in neat lines like the range.  

Its funny when you are chasing someone and your buddy punt kicks his gun after it falls out of his holster...not funny for him...but funny
View Quote

Is he 55 and rocking the clam shell?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#30]
For that gun Kydex is the answer you seek.

I like leather and have some great quality leather from Mitch Rosen, HBE, FIST, ETC

But for that little gun I like my kydex

Aimless have you tried Ritchie Gun Leather?

I think they are a NY company too.  He was a protege of Lou Alessi.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I like them, but I can't use them at work anymore because I am now limited to one style of holster. Nothing wrong with a good thumb snap holster.  I used the Safariland 518 because the paddle is very comfortable and secure.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#32]
we have the same one for the wife's G43, we don't like it either.

Speed
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have never come close to losing a pistol out of a holster  
View Quote

Try getting out of the office a bit.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a Fletch I use for my 1911 when hunting. Otherwise I use an El Paso Saddlery Crosshair.  Very secure. But if I was OC'ing, I'd use the thumbstrap.

And leather is better.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
Every older thumb break holster I have, the thumb break is the only retention the holster has.
If you unsnap the thumb break & turn the holster upside down, the pistol would fall out...

I do have a BladeTech Tactical Holster, that the thumb break is a secondary retention devise...

All of my Kramer Holsters, will retain the pistol, without any other retention devise needed....

I'd love to see a report where a semi auto pistol, bounced out of a Kramer holster, in good shape.....  
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Listening to the comical stories of cops jumping neighborhood fences, yes, you need a retention strap if you're active.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#38]

God I hated those holsters...yeah they were secure as hell, but those stupid Plastic straps cracked and broke within a year or two
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I prefer dead critter.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#40]
ALS has made any thumb break completely obsolete. Unless you absolutely have to have leather.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wear one when I ride my bike because I really don't want a potential bad day to get worse because of level one retention.

past that, yeah, they suck.
View Quote

Always carry my G27 in a thumb break while biking or kayaking.  Came in really handy last yr went I went upside down in the kayak (on a river) in water over my head.  Gun was right where it was supposed to be when I surfaced because of retention.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#42]
I like them for, riding the ATV motorcycle, and general carry whats not to like?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#43]
sadly enough all I have for my "carry" pieces are flap holsters

I need to find some better leather for my antiques (which is all I can carry up here, and then only in the bush)

I dislike thumbsnap holsters too
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When I ride a motorcycle or the quads I use a thunb break holster.

But everyday carry I do not

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Holsters, don't need one and don't want one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I know what the fletch is. I like Galco and all, I have had a few thumb breaks but stopped using them at least ten years ago. I have never come close to losing a pistol out of a holster  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

... Google, "Galco Fletch"

We carry a gun in case that one in 10,000 chance we might need it, about the same odds as you're gun coming lose?

But you still carry right?

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top