User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry police needs to buy their own shit

It's not the governments job, it's a state issue.

No Police dept needs a Maxxpro, this isn't Afghanistan.

View Quote

You're right, no LE agency NEEDS a MaxxPro.  However, when an agency needs an armored vehicle, does it make more sense to get some use out of existing armored vehicles that are sitting and rotting, or paying $350,000 for a new one?  The 1033 program is fiscally responsible.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You're right, no LE agency NEEDS a MaxxPro.  However, when an agency needs an armored vehicle, does it make more sense to get some use out of existing armored vehicles that are sitting and rotting, or paying $350,000 for a new one?  The 1033 program is fiscally responsible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say good... If the situation warrants that type of gear, than call in the people trained to use it properly
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I say good... If the situation warrants that type of gear, than call in the people trained to use it properly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hammer meets head of nail

Bingo

One thing that all the departments that WANT the cool shit gloss over is maintenance / training.  there is a reason why Ft Carson, Ft Stuart, Ft Bragg, etc, all have huge ass maintenance areas.  Upkeep is a bitch.  

There have been a few incidents with vehicles driven by the popo crashing into things they shouldn't,   There are plenty of other tactical vehicles that can be purchased by departments IF they have them approved through their local acquisition chain.  If a town / county wants to buy shit...fine.  They can answer to the taxpayers.  The problem I saw with the federal program is no one was on the hook to the taxpayers.  Get free vehicles....then claim your budget needs to be bigger just to maintain and operate...

for the most part this is all about boys and their toys.  

Haven't seen the need for MRAP's too much with most departments
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who says the agency wont train people on how to drive an armored vehicle?
You willing to wait the extra day or two for that gear to show up from across the state or whatever distance the stuff is located at?
I think not
Oh wait, it wont be you waiting, so you don't care
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Id rather our police get them than have them get given away for free to the Kurds who in turn will probably loose them after fighting to ISIS.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't understand, so a Sheriff's office does not need a M109 155 mm, self-propelled howitzer? What if there is a some kind of request for indirect fire from officers in the field?

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't understand, so a Sheriff's office does not need a M109 155 mm, self-propelled howitzer? What if there is a some kind of request for indirect fire from officers in the field?

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt84/bluetick357/ArpaioHowitzer_zps210ab219.jpg
View Quote

http://www.cato.org/raidmap

Andrea Baker, Erik Kush, Julie Madrigal

Police conduct a massively armed raid on a home they suspect contains illegal assault weapons and ammunition. In a densely-populated, upscale neighborhood, a SWAT team from the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department, complete with an armored personnel carrier, uses grenade launchers to fire at least four rounds of tear gas into the windows of the home. The quarter-million dollar home catches fire shortly after officers enter. As the homeowners evacuate, police officers chase the family's 10-month-old pit bull puppy back into the burning house with puffs from a fire extinguisher. The dog perishes in the flames. Police allegedly laugh at Andrea Baker, the dog's owner, as she cries at their cruelty. Later, the brakes fail on the SWAT team's armored personnel carrier, causing it to lurch down the street and smash into a parked car. The car's owner, Julie Madrigal, had fled the car just moments earlier with her nine-year-old daughter after the two grew frightened by the firing of tear gas canisters by SWAT officers. The home is completely destroyed. Nearby homes are also put at risk. Police find no assault weapons, only an antique shotgun and a nine-millimeter pistol, both of which are legally owned. Nevertheless, police arrest 26-year-old Erik Kush on outstanding traffic violations. The sheriff of Maricopa County is Joe Arpairo, who made national headlines in the 1990s for his aggressive treatment of inmates and unconventional approaches to crime control. One member of Sheriff Arpairo's SWAT team once told CBS News reporter Jim Stewart the best part of being on the SWAT team is that, "You get to play with a lot of guns. That's what's fun. You know, everybody on this team is--you know, loves guns." Another adds, "Hey, the bottom line is it's friggin' fun, man. That's the deal. Nobody wants to take burglary reports." Sources: John Dougherty, "Dog Day Afternoon," Phoenix New Times, August 5, 2004. "Ill-Treatment of Inmates in Maricopa County Jails, Arizona," Amnesty International, August 1, 1997, http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGAMR510511997?open&of=ENG-373. Jim Stewart, "Use of SWAT teams up greatly across the country," CBS This Morning, December 9, 1997.

Date: Jul 23, 2004
Type: Raid on an innocent suspect.
State: AZ
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a completely fiscally welfare program.  Except when it isn't.
"That was one of those things in the old days you got it because you thought it was cool," Yates said of his bayonets. "Then, after you get it, you're like, 'What the hell am I going to do with this?' "

...the police chief in Rising Star, Texas — the only full-time officer in the town of 835 residents — acquired more than $3.2 million worth of property within 14 months. According to an inventory obtained by the AP, the hundreds of items included nine televisions, 11 computers, three deep-fat fryers, two meat slicers, 22 large space heaters valued at $55,000 when new, a pool table, 25 sleeping bags and playground equipment.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-impact-little-restraint-military-giveaways

The fiscally responsible thing is for the feds to sell equipment it doesn't need any more to the highest bidder.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They are a group that gives money to anti-gun politicians to get them in office while claiming to not support anti-gun laws.  No different than an Obama voter claiming they have done nothing to attack firearms rights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They support those who support the police regardless of political party.

They are a pro-police organization not the NRA.

Understood, but they are a union that gives money to the dems.  To say they appose gun control and support 2A is disingenuous.   Actions speak louder than words.

They are not a union. The do not participate in collective bargaining.

They are a group that gives money to anti-gun politicians to get them in office while claiming to not support anti-gun laws.  No different than an Obama voter claiming they have done nothing to attack firearms rights.

They are not a union as originally stated.

You two step quite well. I'll give you that.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Bingo

One thing that all the departments that WANT the cool shit gloss over is maintenance / training.  there is a reason why Ft Carson, Ft Stuart, Ft Bragg, etc, all have huge ass maintenance areas.  Upkeep is a bitch.  

There have been a few incidents with vehicles driven by the popo crashing into things they shouldn't,   There are plenty of other tactical vehicles that can be purchased by departments IF they have them approved through their local acquisition chain.  If a town / county wants to buy shit...fine.  They can answer to the taxpayers.  The problem I saw with the federal program is no one was on the hook to the taxpayers.  Get free vehicles....then claim your budget needs to be bigger just to maintain and operate...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo

Yeah all those vets that just got hired probably can't drive a mrap anymore....

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They support those who support the police regardless of political party.

They are a pro-police organization not the NRA.

Understood, but they are a union that gives money to the dems.  To say they appose gun control and support 2A is disingenuous.   Actions speak louder than words.

They are not a union. The do not participate in collective bargaining.

They are a group supported by police officers who engage in activities for the purpose of gaining special exemptions for police officers and decreased freedoms/increased punishment for non-police including firearms issues which we have been told they do not do.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They are a group supported by police officers who engage in activities for the purpose of gaining special exemptions for police officers and decreased freedoms/increased punishment for non-police including firearms issues which we have been told they do not do.
View Quote

They are not a union, as stated.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HE is not the one doing a two-step.  Whether or not they are a union was never the question, and it was not "originally stated".  I incorrectly assumed that they were, and was corrected.  Nobody argued that point at all.  This is the original statement that is in dispute:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a SSPBA member and they opposed any new gun control laws after Sandy Hook.

http://beta.followthemoney.org/entity-details?eid=20347

They don't support gun control.

If you donate money to get Dems elected, you are supporting gun control, no matter what you say about yourself.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.  So what?  I was the only one that incorrectly stated that they were, and it had nothing to do with the conversation.  Whether or not they are a union is completely irrelevant.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#15]
The stuff should be auctioned if the Federal Gov't no longer needs it anyway.  Not given to any Sheriff with a penchant for cool toys.

ETA: Not because I think PDs and SOs shouldn't have them.  I think if they need them they should buy them at auction like everyone else.  They'd still save money over a new "domesticated" armored vehicle, but the rampant "gimme one of these and one of these and one of ...." would come to an end if it was all up for grabs.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#16]
We've been ordering armored vehicles for use as hard targets for the past few months.  We've taken delivery of several MRAPs, one of which was in use by a large PD in TX.  

Just my opinion, but that and tracked vehicles like M113s painted in police colors look like shit.  

Talk about trying to shoehorn something into what it's not....
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just my opinion, but that and tracked vehicles like M113s painted in police colors look like shit.  

View Quote

That's because you're used to seeing them in sand colors
It's meant to be armored protection for the occupants, same as with the military
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's meant to be armored protection for the occupants, same as with the military
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It still looks like shit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your personal opinion
Doesn't mean the equipment is useless to LE
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure that is all GD cares about with police... cargo pockets look scary, they look like military, they are too fat, their mrap looks like shit because they didnt keep it tan like the military.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pretty sure that is all GD cares about with police... cargo pockets look scary, they look like military, they are too fat, their mrap looks like shit because they didnt keep it tan like the military.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's more that SOME departments and officers look at them [surp stuff] like a cool new hammer and to justify that hammer, they need to find nails to pound.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess.  

I mean, you never know when you're going to hit an IED.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you were in it when there was incoming fire, it would look beautiful.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you were in it when there was incoming fire, it would look beautiful.

Actually, a couple of us are hoping to informally test the resistance of this version of an MRAP to 7.62 mm & 5.56 mm ball very soon.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#25]
"There is no offensive weaponry mounted on a tracked armored vehicle in any police department."

Obviously has not been to South Carolina

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I guess.  

I mean, you never know when you're going to hit an IED.
View Quote

Its not about IEDs for American LEOs, whoever said it was
It's about the domestic-prone guy building DIAS' and suppressors in his house with his front yard ranged out or the guy in his house taking pot shots at officers trying to arrest him on an outstanding warrant
Or any number of other real world scenarios officers nationwide have had to deal with.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What would be Fiscally Responsible is.......

Is the City, County, State, to pay fair market surplus value for the item.....

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:32:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Feel free to show me where the MRAP is listed in the used car value books so we all know what the fair market price on one should be
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:47:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
"There is no offensive weaponry mounted on a tracked armored vehicle in any police department."

https://mindcontrolblackassassins.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/aaachrisleontank.gif
View Quote

Your reputation for reliability is... nonexistent. So, could you perhaps explain the photo and backstory to those of us who don't trust you at face value?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:27:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Feel free to show me where the MRAP is listed in the used car value books so we all know what the fair market price on one should be
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Put them up for Auction......

If Y'all want them, Bid on them..........
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren't going to be released to the general public.
So given that reality, how do you figure out their worth.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why not?

It's a sad state when even "conservatives" are all about the free shit and are conceding fiscal responsibility as an impossible position.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#34]
So, cops will be voting Democrat this election cycle?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will the general public be able to run the serial numbers on the vehicles to make sure they're not stolen?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably not...but their unions sure will be encouraging it.

just think of all those dollars in union dues going to the Hillary campaign

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

News to me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FOP refused to endorse any Presidential candidate in the last election.  They endorsed Republican candidates in 2000, 2004, and 2008.  I can't speak for all state and local chapters but in my area they are very much Republican, which is reflective of the membership.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The NRA gives money to Dems. Not all Dems in particular those from the South are anti-gun.

At one time the only way you could elected around here was to run as a Democrat.

To say all democrats are anti-gun is about as accurate as saying all republicans are pro-gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you donate money to get Dems elected, you are supporting gun control, no matter what you say about yourself.

The NRA gives money to Dems. Not all Dems in particular those from the South are anti-gun.

At one time the only way you could elected around here was to run as a Democrat.

To say all democrats are anti-gun is about as accurate as saying all republicans are pro-gun.

True enough.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Where is this stuff going if it isn't going to auction?

Is ISIS...ahem...I mean Iran going to get some maxpros?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The FOP refused to endorse any Presidential candidate in the last election.  They endorsed Republican candidates in 2000, 2004, and 2008.  I can't speak for all state and local chapters but in my area they are very much Republican, which is reflective of the membership.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Endorsing and contributing are not the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Cops drove an armored car through the doors of the building housing the abortion clinic yesterday.  
View Quote

yup and it wasnt designed to have on board crew served weapons. It was designed to do what it did. If it had had the same clearance as an MRAP, it would probably been much less effective at sheilding the police and the innocents from the guy trying to kill them across the building.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://mindcontrolblackassassins.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/aaachrisleontank.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What a sweet article on it from that link.
Under Sheriff Lott, the Richland County Sheriff’s Department is one of the most militarized police forces on the planet. His deputies even get “Navy Seal” (assassination) training.
Sheriff Lott is also one of the first in the country to equip his deputies with far out overkill weapons. The manufacturer of the weapons, FNH USA, posted a photo on their Facebook page of the Richland County Sheriff’s Department with their new look-like space age FN SCAR 16 45 caliber assault rifles and P90 submachine guns.[26]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Under Sheriff Lott, the Richland County Sheriff’s Department is one of the most militarized police forces on the planet. His deputies even get “Navy Seal” (assassination) training.
Sheriff Lott is also one of the first in the country to equip his deputies with far out overkill weapons. The manufacturer of the weapons, FNH USA, posted a photo on their Facebook page of the Richland County Sheriff’s Department with their new look-like space age FN SCAR 16 45 caliber assault rifles and P90 submachine guns.[26]

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

yup and it wasnt designed to have on board crew served weapons. It was designed to do what it did. If it had had the same clearance as an MRAP, it would probably been much less effective at sheilding the police and the innocents from the guy trying to kill them across the building.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cops drove an armored car through the doors of the building housing the abortion clinic yesterday.  

Which one did they use? I can't see any pics as to the model they used. Either way, they do have ports designed for mounting crew served weapons. You knew that, right? DId you think they only marketed their eqpt. to the US?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Which one did they use? I can't see any pics as to the model they used. Either way, they do have ports designed for mounting crew served weapons. You knew that, right? DId you think they only marketed their eqpt. to the US?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a bearcat. Probably a standard LE or all terrain variant. Far as I know they aren't designed with M2HBs and grenade launcher mounting in mind. They are to small. supposedly tailor made for what happened in Colorado. And if this is any indication, they designed it right.

Low ground clearance, not too wide, can be driven by anyone used to driving  civi commercial vehicles on regular roads.  etc

Of the eight models available 2 are designed for military use, though I am sure they will mix and match.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My federal taxes already paid for the damn thing once, why should my local taxes have to pay for it again?  It ain't like local LE gets their funding through bake sales and car washes.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Thats awesome.
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top