every other age group, unlike every other racial and ethnic group,
unlike their counterparts in other rich countries, death rates in this
group have been rising, not falling.

"Wow,”
said Samuel Preston, a professor of sociology at the University of
Pennsylvania and an expert on mortality trends and the health of
populations, who was not involved in the research. "This is a vivid
indication that something is awry in these American households.”

Dr. Deaton had but one parallel. "Only HIV/AIDS in contemporary times has done anything like this,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/health/death-rates-rising-for-middle-aged-white-americans-study-finds.html?_r=0

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Too much bullshit to handle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Obamas new America
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#3]
If they think its bad now, just wait till Obamacare kicks in
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#4]
FPNI as usual
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Working too hard?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Working too hard?
View Quote

lol

Maybe for a few. I'm gonna go with being fat asses.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

lol

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Working too hard?

lol

According to the article (yeah, I read it) it's mostly suicides and drug abuse.

So my instincts in the first post are right: Too much bullshit to handle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#8]
A lot of stress trying to achieve and maintain a lifestyle  that generations had before them, not to mention carving it out of horrible economy drenched in political correctness that emphasizes white guilt, and legalized racism against them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Something startling is happening to middle-aged white Americans. Unlike every other age group, unlike every other racial and ethnic group, unlike their counterparts in other rich countries, death rates in this group have been rising, not falling.

"Wow,” said Samuel Preston, a professor of sociology at the University of Pennsylvania and an expert on mortality trends and the health of populations, who was not involved in the research. "This is a vivid indication that something is awry in these American households.”

Dr. Deaton had but one parallel. "Only HIV/AIDS in contemporary times has done anything like this,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/health/death-rates-rising-for-middle-aged-white-americans-study-finds.html?_r=0  
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Somebody just realized that their retirement plan is to either work shit jobs until they die or BS their way into poverty level disability benefits.  That kind of future ain't good for mental health, and this generation isn't a fraction as hard ass as their grandparents, so it's down the drugs/depression spiral they go.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#11]
"The mortality rate for whites 45 to 54 years old with no more than a high school education increased by 134 deaths per 100,000 people from 1999 to 2014."

Vets taking their own lives I can believe. And vets being "risk takers" is possibly another factor.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Working too hard?

lol

That may be. But when I look out the office window ten stories up I see hundreds of people walking to and from their jobs and most aren't fat. When I leave its a rat race with tens of thousands of cars trying to get home. I was guessing work related stress.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I know as a white guy in middle age, there's a ton of stress out there.  I'm sure the typical responders will be in this thread soon to shit on the theories.

Lots of job stress, dollars don't go as far, our culture is in steep decline, and we as whites have this real feeling of a lack of power or ability to do anything about it.  I might just be speaking for myself but the last couple of years have been the worst of my life economically and stress-wise.  Some of that is my own fault, but I tell ya, it's been tough to stay positive.  I've noticed a very sharp decline in my health and how I feel every day.  Very hard to see a bright light at the end of the tunnel.

I'll also say that many middle-to-low class whites have literally "worked themselves to death" trying to achieve the American dream.  That might get laughed at by the white collar types here, but I've seen many men in their 50's just abuse their minds and bodies working 60-70 hours or more per week for decades.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Working too hard?

lol

Weak entitled pussies?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like your instincts are wrong.  

From 1999 to 2010, the suicide rate among Americans, aged - 35 to 64
increased nearly 30 percent. The largest increases were among men in
their 50s, a rates rising near 50 percent, or 30 per 100,000.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_the_United_States
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I would have guessed fatness. My friends can't walk well because of weight, and my grandma would walk miles well into her 90s.

Diabetes, hypertension, depression: I still blame weight.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Weak entitled pussies?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Working too hard?

lol

Weak entitled pussies?

Not really.

Working class white Americans currently in the age bracket the article is talking about are hardly entitled.

But hey, it's cool to hate white people. They suck, they need to stop killing themselves and work harder to pay for everyone else, damn it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Something startling is happening to middle-aged white Americans. Unlike every other age group, unlike every other racial and ethnic group, unlike their counterparts in other rich countries, death rates in this group have been rising, not falling.

"Wow,” said Samuel Preston, a professor of sociology at the University of Pennsylvania and an expert on mortality trends and the health of populations, who was not involved in the research. "This is a vivid indication that something is awry in these American households.”

View Quote
Maybe it's because "the old" are now baby boomers, who used lots of drugs, use lots of drugs, drink a lot, didn't do hard physical work ever in their lives and they think of themselves as too good to follow instructions and shape up?

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Not surprising since our government is making a full assault on White Americans while subsidizing Illegal Immigrants.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#20]
So many people I see are grossly out of shape and unhealthy. No exercise and very poor diets.

A decline in average life span is not surprising at all.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm glad I squeaked-in under the wire before the effects of the .gov taking a big dump on the middle class really kicked-in.

Even so I will be hard pressed to keep-up with increasing tax rates to hold on to what I have for the sake of the fucking FSA. Fuck them.

For many "downsizing" might not be much of a choice.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#22]

The mortality rate for whites 45 to 54 years old with no more than a high school education increased by 134 deaths per 100,000 people from 1999 to 2014.

View Quote

So the death rate is .134% higher and it seems to be attributed to suicide and substance abuse.  I just don't see that as much of an issue.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would have guessed fatness. My friends can't walk well because of weight, and my grandma would walk miles well into her 90s.

View Quote

Yup. Shitty American diet causing metabolic syndrome.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And  this only happens to white guys?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I suspect Preston's grant money is running low.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Taking care of everyone else, while simultaneously being constantly under attack by the very institutions we keep running smoothly, has long term health consequences, and Marxist wouldn't want it any other way.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So the death rate is .134% higher and it seems to be attributed to suicide and substance abuse.  I just don't see that as much of an issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The mortality rate for whites 45 to 54 years old with no more than a high school education increased by 134 deaths per 100,000 people from 1999 to 2014.

Those who understand demographics can see why an increase in suicides of 134 per 100,000 is alarming.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#29]
inceased stress, decreased health care services, rise in cancer, etc.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A lot of stress trying to achieve and maintain a lifestyle  that generations had before them, not to mention carving it out of horrible economy drenched in political correctness that emphasizes white guilt, and legalized racism against them.
View Quote

Jesus. Hit it out of the park.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Metabolic syndrome is racist.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

FPNI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI

Pretty much. Losing your job at 50 and starting over is not easy. So many young guys who are also out of work and competing for the same jobs.
Being out of shape may take a year or 2 off your life span. Something else is at play here.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Those who understand demographics can see why an increase in suicides of 134 per 100,000 is alarming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So the death rate is .134% higher and it seems to be attributed to suicide and substance abuse. I just don't see that as much of an issue.

That's suicide and substance abuse (including liver failure).

All activities that people should be legally permissible though ill advised.

It is unsurprising IMO that it seems linked to high school education and long term pain.  I can see life becoming depressing for many who have worked hard in their younger years and torn their bodies up in the process.  Combine that with failure to plan financially for the future and life can look pretty bleak.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Pretty much. Losing your job at 50 and starting over is not easy. So many young guys who are also out of work and competing for the same jobs.
Being out of shape may take a year or 2 off your life span. Something else is at play here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI

I don't doubt that.

But I think we see much more than people simply being out of shape. Getting winded because you had to jog across the parking lot is one thing. Working
hard to get off the couch is quite another.

I'd be surprised if a horrible diet and no exercise only lead to a year or two decrease in life span.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#36]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-oCgl5z7bM
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Suicides and drug abusers croaking early? Good riddance.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Once you reach the top, every direction is down hill.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#40]
If true, I am betting this is seen as a "good thing" by the Liberal-Progressives.

Honestly, this likely has a lot to do with the self-destructive lifestyle of many of the Baby-Boomers. Years of abusing your body is going to catch up to you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Interesting.

Analyzing health and mortality data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and from other sources, they concluded that rising annual death rates among this group are being driven not by the big killers like heart disease and diabetes but by an epidemic of suicides and afflictions stemming from substance abuse: alcoholic liver disease and overdoses of heroin and prescription opioids.
View Quote

The article specifies that the research indicates that it is "poorly educated white Americans" (which they then clarify as white Americans who have only up to a high school education) that are dying at such a rate they are skewing the death statistics for "white Americans" overall.

In middle age, they are dying at such a high rate that they are increasing the death rate for the entire group of middle-aged white Americans, Dr. Deaton and Dr. Case found.
View Quote

So it sounds like more people in this demographic group are in some way simply "checking out," in a way? Not sure what could be prompting feelings of despair and "eh, screw it," in middle-aged, working class white Americans, and researchers are surprised and puzzled by what could be prompting this alarming trend?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed! Very well said!
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#43]
It helps to read the article.

"They concluded that taken together, suicides, drugs and alcohol explained the overall increase in deaths. The effect was largely confined to people with a high school education or less. In that group, death rates rose by 22 percent while they actually fell for those with a college education."

So, less affluent, less educated underachievers.

Cool. The gene pool cleans itself.

But I'd love to hear more whining about how hard life is these days.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not really.

Working class white Americans currently in the age bracket the article is talking about are hardly entitled.

But hey, it's cool to hate white people. They suck, they need to stop killing themselves and work harder to pay for everyone else, damn it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Working too hard?

lol

Weak entitled pussies?

Not really.

So strong well adjusted people get hooked on the dope and antidepressants? got it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're just late to the party. Everyone else has been dying young for years.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Working too hard to support parasites. Tired of being told that everything they believe in is wrong. Tired of being accused of shit that isn't true. The list could go on and on...

People are saying "Fuck it" and giving up.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Where's the money gonna come from when we all die?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Prescription drugs...tell your doc to fuck off.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Where's the money gonna come from when we all die?
View Quote

Bernie has the answers you seek.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Prescription drugs...tell your doc to fuck off.
View Quote

No shit. I'm 50 and ever so often I get a text from Rite aid telling me a prescription is ready to be picked up. Fuck at least discuss it with me before you put me on a new drug. Damn.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top