Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/1/2015 5:01:19 PM EDT
Humans are not newcomers when it comes to messing around with nature. While we haven't created Frankenstein's monster yet, what we do transforms the natural world.

One recent example is the creation of the coywolf — a hybrid of the coyote and the wolf that is also known as the Eastern coyote. According to a new article from The Economist, their population seems to have reached more than a million.

These animals have a completely new genetic makeup: Their genes are about one-quarter wolf DNA and two-thirds coyote DNA; the rest is from domesticated dogs. A 2013 study suggests this dog DNA is mostly from a few specific breeds, including German Shepherds and Doberman Pincers.

Human activity likely played a role in the species' creation. As humans cut down wolves' forest homes and hunted down their populations, the lack of available partners for wolves led them to search elsewhere for mates, leading them to coyotes and dogs.

http://www.businessinsider.com/there-are-more-than-a-million-coywolves-in-the-northeast-2015-10
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#1]
My Connecticut cousins had one in their backyard this morning...

as big as german shepards they are
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
A Wolf nuts in a Coyote=Human activity likely played a role=Humans have created a top predator
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]
What a bunch of sluts.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Humans are not newcomers when it comes to messing around with nature. While we haven't created Frankenstein's monster yet, what we do transforms the natural world.

One recent example is the creation of the coywolf — a hybrid of the coyote and the wolf that is also known as the Eastern coyote. According to a new article from The Economist, their population seems to have reached more than a million.

These animals have a completely new genetic makeup: Their genes are about one-quarter wolf DNA and two-thirds coyote DNA; the rest is from domesticated dogs. A 2013 study suggests this dog DNA is mostly from a few specific breeds, including German Shepherds and Doberman Pincers.

Human activity likely played a role in the species' creation. As humans cut down wolves' forest homes and hunted down their populations, the lack of available partners for wolves led them to search elsewhere for mates, leading them to coyotes and dogs.

http://www.businessinsider.com/there-are-more-than-a-million-coywolves-in-the-northeast-2015-10
View Quote

Sounds like Darwinian species replacement. For decades Man replaced those predators, now with a decline in hunting prey is up and a new predator is on the rise. Human nature is still nature.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
This new species must have evolved over millions and millions of years in the last decade.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]
In before the ASPCC
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Seen a couple of bigguns up here.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Coywolves, and Coydogs, have been around a long, long time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#10]
That's ok, Hornady invented a new bullet which should do fine killing them.        

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Had 3 fucking with my dogs through my fence one night

They are pretty damn big. I thought it was 3 German Shepherds  at first
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Open season on the bastards.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#13]
We should send Liberals to deal with them
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

2 years ago I was ice fishing until dark and watched one cross the lake.

It's a quiet lake with no houses built around it.
I could tell by it's walk it wasn't a dog ,I was sitting on a bucket on the shore line and it never even saw me.

Pretty cool to see
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

...and my 6.8 is craving new blood sacrifices
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]
They are "BANG!" quick learners, once you "BANG BANG!" feed them they know what to "BANG" expect.
They are watching "BANG!" us, and "BANG BANG BANG!!" learning from us.

Oh how can we ever stop them?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the right attitude.  What nature produces, man destroys with glee.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Liberals always blame someone else for the problems that Liberals create.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#19]

LOL a coyote-wolf hybrid that moves like a border collie? fuuuuu good luck North east.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#20]
The problem is not confined to the NE, I had a coydog sniffing around my shop last week in the middle of the day. Looked just like a coyote in the body, just bigger and much longer legs. My shop is in the hood, I hope the coyotes don't cross with all the pit bulls, that would be an abomination.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#21]
If humans wanted to wipe them out, it wouldn't take very long. Man is very efficient at wiping out something that pisses him off.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Saw my first two over 30 years ago in western NY.  Road kills.  I have a friend who traps and he has gotten quite a few over the last several years.  They average about 75 pounds, but a few have hit the 100 pound mark.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Open season on the bastards.  Problem solved.
View Quote

Always has been

You can hunt  them almost all year long
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I hope they show up soon in Alaska.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If humans wanted to wipe them out, it wouldn't take very long. Man is very efficient at wiping out something that pisses him off.
View Quote

Yup...kill one child and that problem will go away.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I blame global warming  I mean climate change.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#27]
What season do we use?

The wolf season, the coyote season or the dog season?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

You are living in the past.

Kumbaya & moonbattery is the rule of the land today. The old school rape, pillage & burn mf's are mostly AARP old as EdSr.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#29]
the coyotes I used to see were these mangy little 30 - 40 lb things...

the new ones are big... and have no fear of humans... I was out trail riding and one paced me on my dirt bike for awhile...
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Their genes are about one-quarter wolf DNA and two-thirds coyote DNA; the rest is from domesticated dog.
View Quote

...and 100% good eating!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This new species must have evolved over millions and millions of years in the last decade.
View Quote

If Coywovles evolved from wolves - how come there are still wolves?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What a bunch of sluts.
View Quote

Fucking bitches.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then why are there so many liberals?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#34]
One nights calling . . .

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#36]
We have big problems with mountian lions and are overrun with coyotes. Now we have wolves in Ca.

Our deer population doesn't have a chance. Wasn't great to begin with since I started hunting.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#40]
They will make for a bigger prey for real wolves that will be migrating East I guess..
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They are getting pretty ballsy around here.  They aren't hiding anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Coywolves, and Coydogs, have been around a long, long time.

They are getting pretty ballsy around here.  They aren't hiding anymore.

Yep.

They are seen walking down the middle of the road in my neighborhood in broad daylight.

They give no fucks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Officially there are no wolves in the Northeast....... so how are they fucking coyotes and creating a super predator????

Sounds like liberal BS to me.

Yes coyotes are larger here, so are deer, maybe it's just because we are missing an alpha predator in the food chain so coyotes get more food and deer get eaten less......
View Quote

There are in eastern Canada. Which is where this new hybrid ( since 1919 ) have come from.

You should watch the video.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

From the title,  I thought this topic was gonna be about feral housecats.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a closed season.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A Wolf nuts in a Coyote=Human activity likely played a role=Humans have created a top predator
View Quote

Wait, you mean the Barry white i was playing for the 2 pups wasnt the cause????  
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#46]
What round for coyote wolf dog?

Will 5.56 cut it or something a little larger like .50 bmg?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Officially there are no wolves in the Northeast....... so how are they fucking coyotes and creating a super predator????

Yes coyotes are larger here, so are deer, maybe it's just because we are missing an alpha predator in the food chain so coyotes get more food and deer get eaten less......
View Quote

Im going with this

I killed some strange looking strays in new haven back in 06.They roamed the old winchester factory courtyard by science park, where I worked. Looked like a mix of husky, Shepard, and yote. Big nasty sob. His pack ranged in species but a bunch looked like that mix.

I killed a 70lbs yote last year here in RI. My dog ran him for an hour and a half before he circled back around.

Id need a lot of evidence proving it was part wolf. We have a lot of 220lbs+ deer here. They need bigger yotes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
There are in eastern Canada. Which is where this new hybrid ( since 1919 ) have come from.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

Video is very informative.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I often saw them around the Elk Lake Lodge near Mt. Marcy in the Adirondacks in the 1960's and 79s; they were more like wolves in size and appearance than anything else.

The locals called them wolves.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Scoob E. Coyote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top