Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/16/2015 3:29:16 PM EDT
Yesterday afternoon, my son and I returned from a 3-day camping trip to Lost Creek Wilderness here in Colorado.

This was his first multi-day camping trip with any sort of weight in his pack.

Without further ado...

Lost Creek is on the edge of the massive Hayman Burn area. The amount of destruction from 2003 is still astounding.

there was actually a fire burning on Tuesday. You can see the smoke on the horizon (right side) here:

Here's our route. You drive about 45 offroad from Deckers, CO to get to the trail head. We camped at the bottom end of the blue line. The "bunkhouse" and "shafthouse" are the ruins of a 19-teens attempt to damn the creek and create a reservoir.  

Heading in: (the start of the trail heads down hill to the left, and it eventually hooks back to right down to that patch of evergreens.

As you enter the creek bottom, you're hiking right alongside the Goose Creek, but after a ways the trail splits away from the creek and you have amazing views of rock formations. (this is all Pikes Peak Granite)

Our destination is basically right behind the pine tree above my son's head:

From the destination looking back south:

We camped at the spot that Lost Creek emerges from underground and becomes Goose Creek:

Eating breakfast in a little speck of sunlight. (It was low 30s overnight)

Headed out:

We had a blast and he was a trooper... zero complaining. A friend of his was going to join us, but his dad decided that it was too big of a challenge after we scouted the hike in a few weeks ago. Consequently, my son feels especially accomplished.

Link Posted: 10/16/2015 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Very very cool.  I'm sure he will remember that for a long time.

Details on your hammocks?  I don't recognize the one on the left.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Your son will cherish those memories. Well done Dad.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Any chance you can list gear for your boy's setup?  I am looking at trying to get my girls (7&10) out on the trail and have no idea where to start.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome!!!  This makes me happy!

I am 38 and still go backpacking with my dad!
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very very cool.  I'm sure he will remember that for a long time.

Details on your hammocks?  I don't recognize the one on the left.
View Quote

Mine is a Warbonnet Blackbird, but it's hidden by the Hammock Gear Incubator bottom quilt there.

My son's on the right is an Eno hung with Kammock Python Straps.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Read this thinking I was gonna have to ask where the hammocks were.  Good Job OP.  Love my Blackbird.  Best camping investment ever.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome.  Those orange patches of trees are really interesting in some of the far away shots.  Any idea what kind they are?  Birch amongst a bunch of evergreens?
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome!  Shouldn't staff change your name to COGator though?  
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Awesome.  Those orange patches of trees are really interesting in some of the far away shots.  Any idea what kind they are?  Birch amongst a bunch of evergreens?
View Quote

Little patches of Aspen that are still hanging on to their leaves
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any chance you can list gear for your boy's setup?  I am looking at trying to get my girls (7&10) out on the trail and have no idea where to start.
View Quote

Other than his pack, nothing special. It's the REI-brand 40-liter pack that I think they've discontinued. He hikes in running shoes because his feet are on the wide side and the selection of kids' boots is limited.

One thing that he uses that he and all of his friends LOVES is this http://www.selkbagusa.com/5G-Kids.aspx
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#11]
meant to mention a few things: food, water, weaponry.

Weaponry was my S&W 386 PD with seven rounds of Hornady Critical Defense

Food:
Trail food was almond M&Ms, Lara Bars (key lime flavor rocks) and beef jerky
Dinner first night: ramen noodles w spicy thai tuna (Bumblebee from a foil packet)
Breakfast: Mountain House dehydrated Biscuits & Gravy is AMAZING (plus a pot of tea made with Irish Breakfast tea + mint tea)
Lunch: Banana + Nutella + peanut butter in tortillas
Dinner: Stove top stuffing + chicken chunks from a foil pouch.
Breakfast: granola + dried blueberries + powdered whole milk rehydrated in a ziploc bag (same tea)
Lunch: ramen + beef jerkey + dried chopped leeks

Water:
Each of us carried 2 liters in 1-liter Nalgenes. We both drank from my son's bottles first to gradually lighten his load.
Additional water was purified with a Platypus gravity system. Between the Nalgenes and the Platypus bladders, I can transport 6 liters of clean water + 2 liters of untreated water at a time

Cooking: mostly boiling water on a Jetboil Sumo stove.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like a great time. Awesome pics man.

Let's go in the spring and catch fish.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Parenting---you are doing it right!

ETA: I had to look at some more maps but I did that hike with the wife a few years back. Great hike.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#14]
My family took a trip to Colorado when we found out my dad had cancer.
Unforgettable and breathtaking trip. Make many memories with your kid.

Dads don't last forever
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Good job Dad and beautiful country!!

When you walk through the areas that burned 12 years ago, does it still smell smoky?

y'all meet anyone else on the trail?
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Parenting---you are doing it right!

ETA: I had to look at some more maps but I did that hike with the wife a few years back. Great hike.
View Quote

probably should have provided a google map for context:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1728311,-105.3798958,15z
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good job Dad and beautiful country!!

When you walk through the areas that burned 12 years ago, does it still smell smoky?

y'all meet anyone else on the trail?
View Quote

no... no smoke smell. But as we hiked out through the burned area (where we really were for maybe 25 mins) I did wonder when it stopped smelling smoky.

Saw one guy coming out as we were hiking in. He had a day pack and a dog so I don't think he was camping.

As we were hiking out, we saw an older couple with 4 dogs. They were out for a day hike too, carrying a SLR and a light tripod.

2 cars + mine at the parking trailhead
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Awesome!!!  This makes me happy!

I am 38 and still go backpacking with my dad!
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3877/14736241787_62f9b2a29d_b.jpg
View Quote

that will be me in 30 years!
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been there a few years back.  Camped in that exact spot!   A very neat hike.   Did you guys make it up to the abandoned machinery on the mountain above the creek?   McCurdy Mtn / Bison Mtn are another really good hike.   The view from the peak of Bison is fantastic!
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aspens I'll bet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've been there a few years back.  Camped in that exact spot!   A very neat hike.   Did you guys make it up to the abandoned machinery on the mountain above the creek?   McCurdy Mtn / Bison Mtn are another really good hike.   The view from the peak of Bison is fantastic!
View Quote

heck, we bushwhacked over the top of the creek area rather than take the trail around to the machinery.

it was pretty dicey... I actually marked some waypoints on GPS so I could get back through the boulders.

in the spring, we're going to boulder though the area north of the machinery

you want to be freaked out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZCN1wJHO4M
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Did you let them know you found the creek?

Beautiful, even with the devastation. I love my Appalachian mountains but you guys have some nice stuff out there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Beautiful, even with the devastation. I love my Appalachian mountains but you guys have some nice stuff out there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

this guy beat me to it, and Darwin handed out the prize:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/recovery-efforts-halted-teacher-s-body-remains-in-wilderness

County Coroner Dave Kintz Jr. said the body was found in the Lost Creek Cave System. Although rescuers couldn't recover the body, they were able to reach a part of it with a long pole and surgical instruments attached, Kintz told the Fairplay Flume.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Bump for the prime time viewers
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Your son will cherish those memories. Well done Dad.
View Quote

absolutely
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Where's the fishing rods?  That upper portion is loaded with brookies.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Where's the fishing rods?  That upper portion is loaded with brookies.
View Quote

Yeah it was.... Good sized ones too.  I'll definitely bring a rod next time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Know the area very, very well. Right out of high school I worked for the Forest Service for three years in the Buffalo Creek/Indian Creek/Devils Head area doing timber stand improvement, beetle kill mitigation and trail work. The burned areas are the result of the Hayman fire.
Gorgeous country within an hour and a half of the metro area.
Building great memories you are, my dad and I used to frequent Goose Creek.

The smoke you saw was a small fire on the hogback near 470 and Bowles.

I grew up near Bowles and Sheridan (BowMar South). From Kipling west Bowles was a two lane dirt road. We used to ride our bikes to the end of Bowles which was right before the hogback, lift our bikes over the fence and leave them there. We would hike up over the hogback and camp for the weekend. The bikes were always there when we came down off the hill.
Good times
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Know the area very, very well. Right out of high school I worked for the Forest Service for three years in the Buffalo Creek/Indian Creek/Devils Head area doing timber stand improvement, beetle kill mitigation and trail work. The burned areas are the result of the Hayman fire.
Gorgeous country within an hour and a half of the metro area.
Building great memories you are, my dad and I used to frequent Goose Creek.

The smoke you saw was a small fire on the hogback near 470 and Bowles.

I grew up near Bowles and Sheridan (BowMar South). From Kipling west Bowles was a two lane dirt road. We used to ride our bikes to the end of Bowles which was right before the hogback, lift our bikes over the fence and leave them there. We would hike up over the hogback and camp for the weekend. The bikes were always there when we came down off the hill.
Good times
View Quote

Turns out it was actually a controlled burn in the Trout Creek area.

Can't imagine Bowles as a dirt road!
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 6:08:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Other than his pack, nothing special. It's the REI-brand 40-liter pack that I think they've discontinued. He hikes in running shoes because his feet are on the wide side and the selection of kids' boots is limited.

One thing that he uses that he and all of his friends LOVES is this http://www.selkbagusa.com/5G-Kids.aspx
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoa, that looks perfect for deer stand as well.  Thanks man
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's pretty noisy... Might bet better in a blind.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Way to go man!
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm envious. I can smell it. I have a place near Tarryall that I don't get to visit that often anymore, but it calls to me. The Lost Creek Wilderness terrain looks similar. Good times.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#36]
some amazing pictures!
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Very cool. My youngest is 21 and still loves to hit some trail with me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Neat trip.  Any elk sign?
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Neat trip.  Any elk sign?
View Quote

Saw one pile of droppings just off the trail... Not particularly fresh
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Thank you kind sir!
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Great stuff!
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#42]
how long was the hike
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
how long was the hike
View Quote

4.3 actual miles covered from the trailhead to our campsite, per my GPS
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Found a pic that might show them better:

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Great pictures!
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for the pictures! I was in Scouting in Wyoming and Colorado as a youth. Perhaps I missed it, were you packing firearms or spray for wolves or other wildlife?

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#47]
How old is your son? With respect to my son, this summer is the first time that I actually  thought "he's about ready for a hike".
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Great photos!  Very nice.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Thanks for the pictures! I was in Scouting in Wyoming and Colorado as a youth. Perhaps I missed it, were you packing firearms or spray for wolves or other wildlife?  
View Quote

S&W 386 PD
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How old is your son? With respect to my son, this summer is the first time that I actually  thought "he's about ready for a hike".
View Quote

Turned 9 in August, but he's pretty mature for his age as the arfcommers that have met him will attest to.

We've done multiple-night trips before, and hiked before, but this was the first time we combined multiple nights along with hiking.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top