Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2015 1:51:47 PM EDT
The wife and I are retired and feed up with Houston and are looking at a home in Jefferson County. It is on Stagestop road. Very isolated.

Anyone live in that area?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Not I said the Ich
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not I said the Ich
View Quote

?

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not I said the Ich

?

I don't live in the area, but I was bumping your thread to give it some more views
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't live in the area, but I was bumping your thread to give it some more views
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not I said the Ich

?

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Nor I.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Jefferson county, right outside Denver.......don't think that's too isolated. I'm in the Springs, that's still too close to Denver. Politics here are difficult if you're conservative, too many liberals moving in from California and such.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm in the Springs, that's still too close to Denver...
View Quote

It's ALL to close too Denver anymore.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Speaking as someone who moved from Houston to the Western Slope of Colorado, and is now back in Houston...

Colorado is a very nice place to live.  I would move back there without hesitation, if the right opportunity presented.  

Though - I am inclined more towards the Western side of the state.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Jefferson county, right outside Denver.......don't think that's too isolated. I'm in the Springs, that's still too close to Denver. Politics here are difficult if you're conservative, too many liberals moving in from California and such.
View Quote

All of this
<- old Colorado city
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

All of this
<- old Colorado city
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this
<- old Colorado city

Damn.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I havent lived there but am pretty familiar with the area.  Absolutely gorgeous area. You can have some pretty remote places, yet still be close enough to an urban area to have fun.  Iv lived in Boulder, Colorado Springs, and briefly in Denver.  Pikes national forest has some amazing out door stuff to do and some fantastic scenery.  Hunting, Hiking, Camping, Fishing, Offroad trails EVERYWHERE.  Its national forest so you can shoot.  I will say that there isnt much around Hartsel.  Its literally a gas station and convenience store with an abandoned jail (like the old one room type).  Fairplay is where the creators of South Park based their show out of.  Again not much but enough to live off of.  If you want to get to anything more than a couple of stores and a walmart your going to have to go into Colorado Springs or Denver, which is at least an hours drive.

Two things to think about if looking for land in the area:
1) Water and mineral rights.  I havent owned in CO yet but am planning to when I retire, and these two are big issues if your going to buy in this area.
2) Wild Fires:  The area is known for burning every few years, and some have been VERY large.  I wish I could show you the pics I have of the fires when they made their way to Colorado Springs, but it was literally like looking at hell.  The entire mountain range on fire, smoke blotting out the sun.  There are ways to plan for it (choosing house locations, eliminating burnable ground cover, ect).  Make sure to talk with an insurance agent and some of the locals before you buy.  The burns arent exactly predictable but some areas are more prone to fire damage than others.

Either way, go for it.  We need Texans to offset the morons fleeing california.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Damn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this
<- old Colorado city

Damn.

I've ridden through that general area on my bike, it's definitely pretty and outside of all the city areas of Denver. Problem is you'll be dealing with all the rules/regs/politics that Denver goes through that will filter down to Jefferson county.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I like JeffCo.

I don't know that particular area terribly well, but I just looked it up on Google Maps. What I know of that area is pretty awesome. We hold an annual COHTF shoot out very close to that area every year with a ton of great folks.

Close enough to Denver for your city needs, close enough to some other cool areas of the state.

Holler if you have any questions. I'm out that way often (the South Park basin that is) so if you want, I'd be happy to swing by and grab pics or info on the area for you if you want.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I know that particular area but do not live there, Its on the way out to Tarryall Reservoir for me.  

Bad ass area for sure, close enough to Denver, but out there. Would like to live there.

ETA: Jeffco Sheriff cool with NFA which is a plus

ETA2: Shooting out to 1000+ is real close by as well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#15]
In before "we're full" jerkoffs
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

We're only full if the person wanting to move here isn't pro-liberty. We don't need any more busy-body control freaks out here (of any political party). Anyone else is welcome.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I havent lived there but am pretty familiar with the area.  Absolutely gorgeous area. You can have some pretty remote places, yet still be close enough to an urban area to have fun.  Iv lived in Boulder, Colorado Springs, and briefly in Denver.  Pikes national forest has some amazing out door stuff to do and some fantastic scenery.  Hunting, Hiking, Camping, Fishing, Offroad trails EVERYWHERE.  Its national forest so you can shoot.  I will say that there isnt much around Hartsel.  Its literally a gas station and convenience store with an abandoned jail (like the old one room type).  Fairplay is where the creators of South Park based their show out of.  Again not much but enough to live off of.  If you want to get to anything more than a couple of stores and a walmart your going to have to go into Colorado Springs or Denver, which is at least an hours drive.

Two things to think about if looking for land in the area:
1) Water and mineral rights.  I havent owned in CO yet but am planning to when I retire, and these two are big issues if your going to buy in this area.
2) Wild Fires:  The area is known for burning every few years, and some have been VERY large.  I wish I could show you the pics I have of the fires when they made their way to Colorado Springs, but it was literally like looking at hell.  The entire mountain range on fire, smoke blotting out the sun.  There are ways to plan for it (choosing house locations, eliminating burnable ground cover, ect).  Make sure to talk with an insurance agent and some of the locals before you buy.  The burns arent exactly predictable but some areas are more prone to fire damage than others.

Either way, go for it.  We need Texans to offset the morons fleeing california.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. The house is neer Fairplay.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like JeffCo.

I don't know that particular area terribly well, but I just looked it up on Google Maps. What I know of that area is pretty awesome. We hold an annual COHTF shoot out very close to that area every year with a ton of great folks.

Close enough to Denver for your city needs, close enough to some other cool areas of the state.

Holler if you have any questions. I'm out that way often (the South Park basin that is) so if you want, I'd be happy to swing by and grab pics or info on the area for you if you want.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know that particular area but do not live there, Its on the way out to Tarryall Reservoir for me.  

Bad ass area for sure, close enough to Denver, but out there. Would like to live there.

ETA: Jeffco Sheriff cool with NFA which is a plus

ETA2: Shooting out to 1000+ is real close by as well.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Have you looked at the western slope at all?

Better politics for the most part, no traffic, lower cost of living, plenty of BLM/National forest to go shooting on.

Why JeffCo/Front range?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Better politics for the most part, no traffic, lower cost of living, plenty of BLM/National forest to go shooting on.

Why JeffCo/Front range?
View Quote

My wife has a friend that lives about 10 miles from the house location.    
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We're only full if the person wanting to move here isn't pro-liberty. We don't need any more busy-body control freaks out here (of any political party). Anyone else is welcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It tends to be the common reply to anyone discussing moving to another state on this site which boggles my mind considering everyone (well just about ) is pro-gun ho and anti-control freak regardless of the state they're leaving.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why JeffCo/Front range?

ah just saw you'll be near fairplay and not front range. Nice area! Not much over there and get used to being without the "city" amenities, otherwise you'll love it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

ah just saw you'll be near fairplay and not front range. Nice area! Not much over there and get used to being without the "city" amenities, otherwise you'll love it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why JeffCo/Front range?

It's on two wooded acres. After living in Houston for 42 years, I want peace and quite and away from so many people. Too much drama here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top