Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you want to reel against the drag?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Both!
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, but those are the only two the OP asked about.  He didn't ask, or include fly fishing, in his question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see that the fly guys couldn't just shut up for a change...

so, the only acceptable methods of fishing are spin and cast?

No, but those are the only two the OP asked about.  He didn't ask, or include fly fishing, in his question.

to the thread and poll's detriment
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have to,choose,one, use whatever you are more proficient at. My son and I are as accurate with spinning as you are with bait casting. I prefer an all round good setup that can be used to land 10+ bass one day, and 30-lb snook the next and rainbow trout and smallies out in Oregon a couple times a year. Since I fish a lot of fresh and inshore saltwater - the Stradic 3000 and 4000 series reels on a MH Shimano Teramar rod is the closest thing to a "universal" setup I've found. But to,each his own. Use what you are best with, and become an expert with it!
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You need both depending upon what/how you are fishing.
View Quote
This.

Depends on what you are fishing for and with.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
the Devil and people who can't throw a baitcaster without birdnesting use spinning reels.
baitcasters are for the serious caster.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
the Devil and people who can't throw a baitcaster without birdnesting use spinning reels.
View Quote

Yup

Nothing works better than a baitcast reel when you want to pitch or  slow down your cast.
I can drop a lure with almost no splash if I want exactly where I'm aiming.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#8]
This is as bad as 9 vs. 45.
I use both for different applications.  Trolling definitely works better with conventionals, as does shark fishing, but you aren't casting in those instances.  For surf fishing I like to use spinners.  I can cast pretty far with my 12ft rod and 7500SSM, but it took a lot of practice and learning how to pendulum cast instead of overhead.  The drags are also easier to change out on most spinners compared to casters.  If you go to the piers in my AO spinners are used almost exclusively. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ha!  Saltwater much?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Depends.  Freshwater, for larger game species, it's baitcaster all the way.  Freshwater for panfish, spinning is my choice.

View Quote

This is what I was taught and it's worked well for me.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:52:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Umm to get the fish and take up line?  I hate spinning reels.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ha!  Saltwater much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!  Saltwater much?

That reminds me about maintenance.  I can go a whole season(barring a reel baptism) without having to put the latest and greatest lube on my spinner's bearings every trip.  There are as many lubes for baitcasters as ARs now and it seems like you have to lube them frequently to keep them free spooling well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I use spinning reels.
I never cared for a bait cast reel and I have tried them.

Saturday I caught 8 nice Golden Croaker on my Penn Fierce 4000 mounted on my Okuma Tundra rod.
Put two of them wrapped up in aluminum foil on a bed of onions on my Old Smokey charcoal grill and had an excellent supper tonight.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I really can't throw a spinning reel to save my life.  I can put a lure into a 3 foot circle 100 feet away.  Give me a spinning reel and I'll toss it 100 foot off target or straight into the water most times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ibtp. Both.

I really can't throw a spinning reel to save my life.  I can put a lure into a 3 foot circle 100 feet away.  Give me a spinning reel and I'll toss it 100 foot off target or straight into the water most times.

I'm the exact opposite, lousy at casting with a baitcaster but extremely accurate with a spinning reel. I do like baitcasters for trolling though.

I have some very nice Swedish made Abu Garcia reels that don't get the love they deserve.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I grew up using spinning reels, and I've continued using them.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

LOL…no.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I fish a big high current river from the bank most of the time.  We use 8 ounces to 2 lbs of lead weight to hold the bottom.  Spinning reels can't cast that much weight.so I use baitcasters most of the time.  I also use a spinning reel to float bait downstream so they both have their place.

The rod I use for casting big weights looks like a pool cue. Barely loads up casting an 8 ounce sinker.  My reel is spooled with 200 yards of 30lb mono.  Little is left after a good cast.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I really, really hate spinning reels. I can't throw them to save my life. Probably because I've tossed baitcast reels my entire life since age 6.

Baitcaster is far superior. Can hit a spittoon at 50 yards. Can reel against the drag. Can use your proper hand to feel the fish.

Neva been done before so pole nbound.
View Quote

Lol, flip the crank.

My shimano Stella on a St. Croix legend eliete is a walleye slayer.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You need both depending upon what/how you are fishing.
View Quote

Absolutely this. You can't throw a 1/32 jig very far on a BC.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#20]
You can use anything you like - I do own a whippy stick myself. Get them all.

Right tool for the job at hand......
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hate using "this", but this.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ibtp. Both.
View Quote

Get both.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Both!

Baitcaster for spinnerbaits, some topwater plugs, and crankbaits.

Spinner for jigging, weightless rigs, topwater soft-plastics, weighted plastics, some topwater plugs, pitching and flipping.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Spinning reel if I want to fuck up my day on the lake.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Op, if you're proficient with a baitcaster, it's likely all you'll ever need. However, the newer spinners in conjunction with braided line can actually cast farther than baitcasters, and have huge line capacities..
Also, the big $ spinners now have enough drag to kill just about anything that swims. In the boats I use baitvasters almost exclusively. a 7 ft 6 medium heavy rod paired with an ABU Garcia (older, Swedish made) 6500 big game , and a 6 inch 2.5 oz yellow spook, and I'm in stripers all day.
  Surfcasting, I generally use the spinner on a 10 or 11 ft rod to get distance.

I'll refrain from asking the fly guys how their Dads took the news.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yup

Nothing works better than a baitcast reel when you want to pitch or  slow down your cast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

I was raised by a man who chased Tournaments all over the South and Midwest. he was lucky, he only had to go thru 1 divorce. the only thing we ever used spinners for is for tossing Grubs for smallmouth and for crappie jigs. even 30 years later, my son is amazed that I can drop a practice plug into a coffee can at 30-35 yards on the first cast and I do that with 30 year old 5500C's- not some new fangled magnet model spooled caster the size of a rabbits head.

no splash. every time.
I can hear my father say "Soft Presentation... Soft..." in my sleep.

I've been really impressed with the Bass Pro Extreme models lately. good money spent on a budget.

full disclosure ( I reallllly like fishing for smallmouth with grubs and a spinner- one of lifes finest pleasures)
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ha!  Saltwater much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!  Saltwater much?

actually.. yes.
both times we used casters,  same with stripers on Texoma ( one of the best fishing trips I've ever had).

I try to avoid the ocean...I prefer to be able to drink my water if necessary.
if I lived near the ocean, I would actually probably love it and chased the hell out of specs and redfish. I could really see myself doing that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a nice Shimano Curado 7:1.  Paid $179.00...... I like it a lot, nice, smooth, casts faster and accurate.....
.........and it's fucking busted after less than a year of use!!

It's been in the shop over 6 months now waiting for parts for repair!!

Can't ever say that about any of my spinning reels.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Both.  Ironically though I only use the bait caster when there is no casting to be done.  Also I buy left handed ones so the crank is on the correct side.
View Quote
most important

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a nice Shimano Curado 7:1.  Paid $179.00...... I like it a lot, nice, smooth, casts faster and accurate..............and it's fucking busted after less than a year of use!!

View Quote

You have a shitty shop. My Curado 200HG is going on 2 years of HEAVY saltwater use and has been cleaned ONCE. Wading, kayak and bank fishing without a single issue.
I use both. Baitcast for accuracy/distance, spinning for windy days/lighter jigs
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Both.

Conventional reel for bottom fishing, trolling, and bass fishing, Spinning reel for everything else.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You have a shitty shop. My Curado 200HG is going on 2 years of HEAVY saltwater use and has been cleaned ONCE. Wading, kayak and bank fishing without a single issue.

I use both. Baitcast for accuracy/distance, spinning for windy days/lighter jigs

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff519/goobax1/5FF58657-5373-4D56-87D5-B48F917A3A5E.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a nice Shimano Curado 7:1.  Paid $179.00...... I like it a lot, nice, smooth, casts faster and accurate..............and it's fucking busted after less than a year of use!!

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff519/goobax1/5FF58657-5373-4D56-87D5-B48F917A3A5E.jpg

I'm not even sure why the Curado broke......worked fine on my last fishing trip......1st cast on the next was no go.

And I always rinse and sometimes oil......not regularly but more than never.  

It's due back next week....otherwise I'll have to call again.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Spinning and spincast reels are for those heathens that can't cast a baitcasting reel.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I prefer spinning, they've worked for me for decades.
To each thine own.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:58:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I hardly ever fish, nowadays, but I grew up using spinning reels.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see you're a man of fine taste…Billy Stix rods ROCK!

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:03:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're reeling against the drag you're not taking up any line.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

You do know you can mount the crank of a spinning real on either side right?

I vote both. When fishing banks with low trees and heavy brush a spinning real has its merits.
View Quote
I am right handed but buy left hand baitcasters.

Switching hands makes no sense to me and I can't cast with my left to save my life.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#39]
There are so many WTF responses in this that I am just not going to bother.

Baitcast reels have their place. Which is usually crank baits, spoons, or surface plugs.

Spinning reels have their place. Which is usually finese rigs.

A bait caster just isn't the right tool for yellowtail snapper fishing or freelining a pilchard or shrimp to a snook on a point or dock.

Both in the larger sizes can be awesome for bottom fishing and I usually have a "bait caster" and a spinner setup so when one arm gets tired of hauling in fish I switch to the other setup and workout the other arm.

Variety is the spice of life. Each tool has its own purpose. Learn to use both and be a better fisherman.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I really, really hate spinning reels. I can't throw them to save my life. Probably because I've tossed baitcast reels my entire life since age 6.

Baitcaster is far superior. Can hit a spittoon at 50 yards. Can reel against the drag. Can use your proper hand to feel the fish.

Neva been done before so pole nbound.
View Quote

Both have their place, and if you can't understand that, then you don't have enough experience. I own both, as does any experienced fisherman who fishes for many types of fish, with light baits, heavy baits, onshore, offshore, clear water, weedy lakes, etc.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Never owned a spinning real in my life.

Have had many a backlash with bait casters though.

I prefer bait casting reals.

Things are like a winch.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Don't most professional fishermen use baitcasters?

View Quote

It depends on what they are fishing for. But baitcasters are generally better with the heavy lines that are needed for big fish and/or weedy lakes. So yeah, lots of tournament fisherman use them. But professional fishermen mostly use nets.  The super-strong braided lines have changed the rules a bit, allowing you to sometimes use a spinning reel in what would have been baitcaster territory.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Both, always have at least one of each when I go fishing.  Cast much further with spinning.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:28:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ibtp. Both.
View Quote

This. You're not a fisherman until your SO has complained about how much gear you have.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:32:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Hammer or.screwdriver?

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Spinning for casting popping cork rig. Baitcaster everything else.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:34:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Switching hands makes no sense to me and I can't cast with my left to save my life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You do know you can mount the crank of a spinning real on either side right?

I vote both. When fishing banks with low trees and heavy brush a spinning real has its merits.

I've used both my whole life, so I don't care which hand I crank with. But with a baitcaster, I still usually cast with my right hand, then switch the rod to my left hand, reel with right. Unless we are trolling, of course.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That they do, even bought the sammch maker one lol

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:42:01 AM EDT
[#49]
use the right tool for the job or dont do the damn job
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Both.

Did a little trout fishing this weekend

" />

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top