Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
In for a penny, in for a pound.

Shouldn't be allowed to choose when you want to be equal and when you'd rather not be.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

agreed. you volunteered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I said yes, but you know they'll just get preggers before they ever have to go into harm's way.

Depo shots should be mandatory for active duty female soldiers.

agreed. you volunteered.

So are we eliminating all Catholics, or just catholic women? What about those that have had medical issues with hormonal birth control? Are you going to give tape waivers when the depo shot causes them to gain weight? Incidentally, this thread is about a draft, which means that the women may not have volunteered.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Judge Robert Bork was a prophet.

*Slouching towards Gomorrah.

As for me I'm glad I'm old-I no longer recognize or even like much of this country.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. Equal rights and all that........
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There really isn't a perfect solution. Either UCMJ or deployment anyway, but even those aren't ideal. Then again, if drafted, you are mandating women give over some of the very limited number of reproductive years they have in service to their country while prohibiting them from reproducing, without placing a similar prohibition on the men. As it stands right now, UCMJ if a pregnancy occurs in the lead up to a deployment during an initial enlistment.
View Quote

There's no perfect solution because somebody is always going to come up with 1,000 "what if'" situations. It's a real issue that military units faced in the last two conflicts with volunteers. It would be even worse with conscripts. I understand not all women can take hormonal birth control and my first reply was poorly thought out. There are however other methods such as IUDs and various barrier methods available. Honestly the obvious solution is to abolish selective service all together and then nobody has to register.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So are we eliminating all Catholics, or just catholic women? What about those that have had medical issues with hormonal birth control? Are you going to give tape waivers when the depo shot causes them to gain weight? Incidentally, this thread is about a draft, which means that the women may not have volunteered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I said yes, but you know they'll just get preggers before they ever have to go into harm's way.

agreed. you volunteered.

If your religious views conflict with the terms of military service then you should not enlist. I feel the same way about religions that require men to engage in practices that require deviation from military regulation such as shaving. Certain exceptions have always been made when a draft is required. Non combat domestic roles can be substituted as needed in that case.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
If women think they are capable of being the equal of men , especially in the Infantry or the other combat arms, then by all means they should register for the draft and ruck up. You asked for it, you got it. Real life is not a video game.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#8]
yep.

No special rights for all, just equal rights.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I support equal rights for women. One hundred percent. No if's, and's or but's.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Equal rights is what they want, Then equal rights is what they shall get.
View Quote

Someone has to take care of the kids, and I don't want my wife signing up. Call me old fashioned.

However, I would ask every femnazi where their selective service card is, you know, if they believe in equality and all that.

*i swear that was an auto correct
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh, that's an easy fix.  Mandatory birth control.  Getting knocked up would be an Article 15 offense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, that's an easy fix.  Mandatory birth control.  Getting knocked up would be an Article 15 offense.

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed. you volunteered.

We are going to have to deal with the pregnancy issue at some point, though. Mandating birth control is probably a non-starter, but the DoD is going to need to end up working some policy that holds women responsible for their reproductive choices. Bad paper for pregnancy while in a deployable unit, perhaps.

First enlistment pregnancy needs to go away - it's a bad deal for the armed services. A woman who makes the military a career? Sure, some sort of system to request a non-deploying set of orders.

Accidents happen? Sure. We give commanders a lot of discretion as it is. You had an IUD and you're the one-in-zillion it didn't work for? No bad paper. You chose a daily pill and couldn't remember to take it? That probably needs some paperwork.

As for registering for Selective Service? Yep. If the system is OK to subject half our citizens to, we can subject the other half as well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I registered for the draft just before active conscription ended, and the voting age was still 21.

The County Clerk was a woman; she could vote, and I could not.

Equal Rights, equal responsibilities!
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There really isn't a perfect solution. Either UCMJ or deployment anyway, but even those aren't ideal. Then again, if drafted, you are mandating women give over some of the very limited number of reproductive years they have in service to their country while prohibiting them from reproducing, without placing a similar prohibition on the men. As it stands right now, UCMJ if a pregnancy occurs in the lead up to a deployment during an initial enlistment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Considering the fact that it can have severe side effects and isn't appropriate for all women, that's a terrible idea. Why not just put all male soldiers on Lopressor while you're at it?

You have a solution for pre deployment pregnancy then? Male pregnancy has never been an issue. The only other idea I can come up with is UCMJ punishment for getting knocked up on duty. Dishonorable discharge and some time in the brig.

If things get bad enough for a draft, your plans for starting a family mean jack and shit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That has been done before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostker_v._Goldberg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shojld be grounds for a class action suit against the government for all males who are required to when women aren't.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

That has been done before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostker_v._Goldberg

Looks like the USSC has already setup the first step towards implementation.

In the majority opinion, Justice William Rehnquist wrote "[t]he existence of the combat restrictions clearly indicates the basis for Congress' decision to exempt women from registration. The purpose of registration was to prepare for a draft of combat troops. Since women are excluded from combat, Congress concluded that they would not be needed in the event of a draft, and therefore decided not to register them."
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"If your objective is true and pure equality, then you have to look at all aspects and at some point Selective Service will have to be one of those things considered very carefully,"
View Quote

This statement is bullshit.

Why?

Because if the objective is true and pure equality, then there is absolutely no question, and nothing needs to be "considered", let alone "considered carefully".

That is what needs to simply be said, and not keep pussyfooting around. Equality is equality.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I actually use this as an example of why I say it isn't about equal rights it is about special treatment when discussing the topics with women.  Some actually stop and think about it and agree with me.  Most just get emotional and say it is different not fucking hypocrisy.  Always nice to work it in by the third date because her response to it is a pretty good indicator of whether or not she is worth my time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I honestly couldn't remember doing it, but apparently I did in January 1998. I would have been 19, so I guess I procrastinated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see the purpose of "signing up" for Selective Service.

ETA: I remember a thread here awhile back and was surprised to see how many people skipped it.

https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Check-a-Registration/Verification-Form

I honestly couldn't remember doing it, but apparently I did in January 1998. I would have been 19, so I guess I procrastinated.

Could be worse.  I was standing in formation during mail call at AIT.  The cadre looks at the Platoon Guide and goes look at the return address.  I had a flash of insight that it was mine and from selective service.  Sure enough.  I got to do push ups for being the unpatriotic motherfucker who did not register for the draft.  

It never crossed my mind I needed to.  I enlisted in the Guard and started going to drills a month after I turned 17.  I turned 18 in basic training.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#19]
They want equality, give it to them.  All of it.  No training wheels.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I voted "yes".   And if men are actually being drafted and sent in harm's way, best be finding a way to get some women killed too.  Because equal means equal.

As for the pregnancy issue, I have no problem with the idea of women who get knocked up during their mandatory term of service or at anytime afterwards that interferes with a scheduled deployment getting booted with a BCD.  Of course, if the baby daddy is a service member the same would apply to him, E-1 or 0-10, all the same.  Because equal means equal.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I voted "yes".   And if men are actually being drafted and sent in harm's way, best be finding a way to get some women killed too.  Because equal means equal.

As for the pregnancy issue, I have no problem with the idea of women who get knocked up during their mandatory term of service or at anytime afterwards that interferes with a scheduled deployment getting booted with a BCD.  Of course, if the baby daddy is a service member the same would apply to him, E-1 or 0-10, all the same.  Because equal means equal.
View Quote

If one is still capable of deploying to combat and the other is not, what do charge the one that can deploy with?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Bugs don't care if your Male or Female

Everyone fights, nobody quits
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Simple enough fix.  Require them to accept a birth control implant, such as Nexplanon.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Either everyone or no one should be required to sign up for selective service. End of story.

I'll take it a step further...

If women want to serve in SEALs, Rangers, etc, fine BUT they also should be assigned the same MOS as men do, no exceptions.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#25]
How does adding women to the draft help our nation?

Following some bad ideas with more bad ideas "because fuck you" seems to be a bit silly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#26]
No, no, no, that's not how equal rights work.  Equal rights means they get to pick and choose the standard they want to be held to based on which is most advantageous at the time.

It's not about "equal all the time" it's about "equal when it's convenient".
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#27]
They get the whole package.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Simple enough fix.  Require them to accept a birth control implant, such as Nexplanon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, not for draftees.  The decision to use hormonal birth control is a complex one involving a range of medial and ethical issues.  Not fucking is pretty simple.  Now I'm all in favor of requiring a birth control implant for women who want to volunteer for service.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How does adding women to the draft help our nation?

Following some bad ideas with more bad ideas "because fuck you" seems to be a bit silly.
View Quote

If it's done for that reason - and it appears from some comments, that's possible - then I agree with you.  I would support if because I think it's the fair thing to do - one gender should not get a free ride on the back of the other.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Bugs don't care if your Male or Female

Everyone fights, nobody quits
View Quote

would you like to learn more?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:47:43 AM EDT
[#31]
For me it's not a matter of being a dick about it. I'm serious when I say equal means equal and how can we be equals if gender acts as a pass for doing dirty work? Besides that if we required women to register it might cause enough stink to eliminate that last remnants of a draft system anyway which would be fine with me as well since I don't support conscription in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:07:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Equality ain't all it's cracked up to be.
View Quote

This. I vote for option C, let's get back to reality.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
On one hand I say yes.  If they want equality they have to take the good with the bad.
On the other hand they tend to get bitchy and camplain when they have to go somewhere or do something they don't want to do.
Does the military really want to put up with that?
View Quote

They already do.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Equality of reward...equality of risk
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:05:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Considering the fact that it can have severe side effects and isn't appropriate for all women, that's a terrible idea. Why not just put all male soldiers on Lopressor while you're at it?

You have a solution for pre deployment pregnancy then? Male pregnancy has never been an issue. The only other idea I can come up with is UCMJ punishment for getting knocked up on duty. Dishonorable discharge and some time in the brig.

Don't you think saying a time span of 30 years is very limited a bit of an exaggeration?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:15:38 AM EDT
[#36]
They should be and I've been lobbying my Congresscitters with that request for a while and even included the phrase "automatic registration to vote along with selective service registration as the right to vote and defend this nation is something that goes hand in hand."        Using other bills as a template, I drafted a couple of sample bills and passed them around to stoke the fire of interest.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:47:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Either everyone or no one should be required to sign up for selective service. End of story.
View Quote

Agreed.  I don't know why women aren't required to sign up for selective service now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:58:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If one is still capable of deploying to combat and the other is not, what do charge the one that can deploy with?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Conspiring to assist someone else to avoid deployment, accessory to the crime so to speak.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Hey... they want equality right?

This is part of it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:15:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Don't you think saying a time span of 30 years is very limited a bit of an exaggeration?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, considering that the time for responsible pregnancy is less than half that, realistically. Teen pregnancy? Not advisable. After 35? High risk. A window of 10-15 years, maybe, and a draft could fall right in the middle of that. Compare that to the lifelong ability of a man to sire children, and yes, it's pretty damned limited.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:17:42 AM EDT
[#42]
I'd rather just get rid of the whole thing.

There's never going to be a draft. A serious, all-out, war involving the US would start with nuking every city and destroying the infrastructure needed to draft and train people. Smaller shit is handled just fine with volunteers.

The whole thing is a joke. Let's stop wasting time and money printing off the sign-up cards.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Conspiring to assist someone else to avoid deployment, accessory to the crime so to speak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Under Art 81 all one has to say is I told her to get an abortion and the withdrawal clause would render them not guilty.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:21:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Under Art 81 all one has to say is I told her to get an abortion and the withdrawal clause would render them not guilty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There had best be proof, i.e a notarized statement signed by both parties.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Conscription. People that are to fucking stupid for that lose citizenship and all the rights that go with it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:36:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You obviously never been in the position to administer military justice, in the name of everyone being the same we forget people are not the same
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except they don't want equal rights, they want preferential rights. The ones that squawk about equality all the time though that is.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#48]
I would take serious umbrage to the idea of a daughter of mine being susceptible to a draft.

Fuck that noise.

lol at the folks here who are so wrapped up in their "us versus them" thinking they are OK with this.

How the fuck have we gotten this derpy in less than 8 years?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:44:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Equality and all. They want the right to serve in combat arms then they should get the duty to go along with it.
View Quote

Who the fuck is "they?" Was there some universal consensus petition I missed?

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I guess the .000001% of women that want to be in combat arms are going to be forcing their equality on everyone else.

View Quote

But, but "they!"
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top