Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/12/2015 5:06:02 PM EDT
So a guy shows up at my business. He's playing some geocache game called Ingress. One of the spots he needs to stand at is on my property. There used to be an old airplane there but it's long gone. He offers me $20 to let him walk out there. I figure what the hell, easy gas money and he can't hurt himself in an empty lot.

He stands at the spot where the plane used to be for about 20 minutes while his phone beeped and did whatever the game does. Then he thanked me and left.

According to him this is a worldwide game. I wonder how many more tanks of gas I can get out of this?

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So a guy shows up at my business. He's playing some geocache game called Ingress. One of the spots he needs to stand at is on my property. There used to be an old airplane there but it's long gone. He offers me $20 to let him walk out there. I figure what the hell, easy gas money and he can't hurt himself in an empty lot.

He stands at the spot where the plane used to be for about 20 minutes while his phone beeped and did whatever the game does. Then he thanked me and left.

According to him this is a worldwide game. I wonder how many more tanks of gas I can get out of this?

View Quote

I think those Ingress locations change all the time.

I tried playing it but either I was missing something or it was the most boring game in the world.

In reality, I think it's just a way for Google to use our cell phones to gather intelligence on specific areas under the guise of playing a game.

I know they've been sniffing wireless data while mapping out StreetView.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if they are doing the same with this game.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#2]
you just got cased.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you just got cased.
View Quote

my first thought.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried playing.
Not for me but a fun game.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
In before the hippies make a camp there
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
you just got cased.
View Quote

And you should be pissed OP
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

He distracted you long enough for the DEA to set wire taps.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Nah, the guy drove a high end SUV, gave me his business card and the only thing he saw was dirt. I mean he was standing in the middle of a 10 acre lot surrounded by nothing.

Unless there is buried treasure back there I think I'm good. Too bad about them changing locations.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

[He distracted you long enough for the DEA to set wire taps.  Congrats.
View Quote

They can be my guest. Unless dirt is a controlled substance
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nah, the guy drove a high end SUV, gave me his business card and the only thing he saw was dirt. I mean he was standing in the middle of a 10 acre lot surrounded by nothing.

Unless there is buried treasure back there I think I'm good. Too bad about them changing locations.
View Quote

oh well $20 is $20
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#11]
How old was this "guy"?  12?  What does it cost to play?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it's ghey as fuck that you "let" him pay you.
And no I don't play ingress and never heard of it until this thread.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#13]

skip to 35 seconds....This game looks
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know "dirt" is slang for weed, right?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dirt

OP is going to prison.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I got stuck in a vehicle with some inlaws last Thanksgiving, they were visiting from Rhode Island. The whole family was super into geocaching and we ended up on an hour-plus detour between two locations that were only ten minutes apart because they found several geocache locations in the proximity and they just had to hit them up.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Been here since O1 and pressed the ignore button for the first time. Some dude with issues about his sexual identity that drives a jeep.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Must be scouting a location for a new FEMA camp.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQnpv28nfIU

View Quote

WTF?

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, it looked even weirder on his phone. Dude was into it though. Never been a gamer so no insight into the mindset.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Ingress has nothing to to with geocaching.  It is a location based game, in other words you have to be at the location to interact with it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Been here since O1 and pressed the ignore button for the first time. Some dude with issues about his sexual identity that drives a jeep.
View Quote

Sounds like a good Bearpit thread start to me
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, he's a yankee, too, so...
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you mean to post that in this thread?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I tried playing it but either I was missing something or it was the most boring game in the world.

In reality, I think it's just a way for Google to use our cell phones to gather intelligence on specific areas under the guise of playing a game.

I know they've been sniffing wireless data while mapping out StreetView.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if they are doing the same with this game.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure if they change or not. My take is - If there is a cool landmark in your town that Google doesn't know about yet, you can add it to the game and Google gets to add the location (including a submitted photo) to it's location services. All for free and all via user-submitted data.  All of locations are some kind of landmarks. Empty fields, your house, etc shouldn't be approved. Google wants small parks, pieces of art, small historical spots, and other kind of "off the map" places to add to their locations data. I'm not saying that is 100% fact, but it seems like the general idea.

It sounds a lot cooler than it is, and if you want to control and hold a large area you will end up wasting a lot of time and gas to get to the locations, especially in rural areas.  I played for about a week before trying to figure out how to spoof my phone's location
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not sure if they change or not. My take is - If there is a cool landmark in your town that Google doesn't know about yet, you can add it to the game and Google gets to add the location (including a submitted photo) to it's location services. All for free and all via user-submitted data. All of locations are some kind of landmarks. Empty fields, your house, etc shouldn't be approved. Google wants small parks, pieces of art, small historical spots, and other kind of "off the map" places to add to their locations data. I'm not saying that is 100% fact, but it seems like the general idea.

It sounds a lot cooler than it is, and if you want to control and hold a large area you will end up wasting a lot of time and gas to get to the locations, especially in rural areas. I played for about a week before trying to figure out how to spoof my phone's location  

User Info Ignore IM User Email User Reply Quote Report
View Quote

Makes sense, the plane was an old C46 and there were very few of them. The guy said there were several spots at the air museum across the street.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I play occasionally.  You have a portal on your property.  Players hack, destroy, capture and link portals.

Portals can be user submitted.  They don't move.  

You can find portals by going here:  Ingress
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I tried playing it for a while. Interesting premise but I found it incredibly boring.

Nothing quite like getting together with some friends, going to some interesting places, and having everyone staring at their phones the entire time.

ETA: Might be more fun with the right group of people.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I played ingress for a while,  it's kind of an amazing game.   It's not really geocatch persay,  there is nothing physical to take or leave.  But the spots are usually something geographical or architectural interesting.   It uses coordinates and the two teams must control the spots. It's all in real time.   I played for about 2 weeks.   I spent so much dang money in gas,  and I even fell asleep in my car at one of the locations one night.   I had to stop playing.   I was surprised how many people are playing it.   You really don't know who is playing and who is not.   It's all on the cell phone using Google map type screen.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Now that he has claimed it - others will follow.  Thats how the game works.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

WTF?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

Ditto

Geocaching as a hiking thing with your family can be fun though.  This silly stuff is one step away from dressing up in fury suits.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I would set up a trail camera.  There may be trespassers.  Expect anything.  Stay alert.  Stay safe.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ingress has nothing to to with geocaching.  It is a location based game, in other words you have to be at the location to interact with it.
View Quote

Kinda sounds like the geocachers that don't find the cache but log it anyways because their gps said they were there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#33]
It's a higher-tech version of Go played out over the entire planet with some cool graphics and team play.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Now that he has claimed it - others will follow.  Thats how the game works.
View Quote

Yep, and others may not be so respectful.

If it becomes a problem you can file a request to have the portal removed.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I tried playing it for a while. Interesting premise but I found it incredibly boring.

Nothing quite like getting together with some friends, going to some interesting places, and having everyone staring at their phones the entire time.

View Quote

What happens when you get to the location? Do you upload your GPS and it gives you some new part of the game to pursue?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

my first thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you just got cased.

my first thought.

Not likely. Most of those people would rob a house for 20 bucks. Dropping 20 to stand in an empty lot?  No.

Just people with a lot of time. My roommate plays ingress.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

my first thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you just got cased.

my first thought.

He didn't. I know a few people that play. It's something for tech nerds to do on a day off.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

You poor fool.

Never let the NSA walk around your property.  He dropped a beacon out there for the chemtrail planes to home in on.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

What happens when you get to the location? Do you upload your GPS and it gives you some new part of the game to pursue?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Once your close enough you "capture" the location and that gives you and your team points. There's a map that shows you nearby portals. You just go around and capture as many for your team as you can.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Klue is cute.

Otherwise, meh . . .
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Think how broke the OP must be if he charged some nerd $20 to walk on his dirt. LOL

And he blocked me because I am right.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is exactly that.  They're improving their map info by running people all over the place and tracking how they get there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is, just with the EPA rather than DEA.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Know how many kidnapped Ingress players chained up in a basement it takes to change a lightbulb?

Not sure, but it's more than three, because it's still dark as fuck down there.
View Quote

One of the best avatar + post combinations ever!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Hmm.   I just downloaded it and will probably play while geocaching.  
Thanks OP.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#47]
There have been at least 2 people caught trying to get into nuke plants playing this game.  One of them was turned away and later was found trying to climb the fence.  He's damn lucky he didn't get shot.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There have been at least 2 people caught trying to get into nuke plants playing this game.  One of them was turned away and later was found trying to climb the fence.  He's damn lucky he didn't get shot.
View Quote

Yeah, that wouldn't be a good idea here either.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which brings up a good point -- OP, The rules for portals are that they must be accessible and safe. Behind a fence or on private property is a no-go. So you should be able to get it removed if it turns into a problem.

http://ingressportal.com/research/portals/creating-new-portals/
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Which brings up a good point -- OP, The rules for portals are that they must be accessible and safe. Behind a fence or on private property is a no-go. So you should be able to get it removed if it turns into a problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks if it's an issue I will. I doubt somehow I'll be flooded with players especially since the landmark has been gone for years. I'm surprised it's on there. The game looks like it was created long after the plane was removed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top