BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can't think of any war film that stunk more than The Thin Red Line.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know most here liked it, but I think it sucked more than the Thin Red Line.

I can't think of any war film that stunk more than The Thin Red Line.

Ya think?
I was actually rooting for the japs to nail Penn running across the field in that one.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I was blown away. Best study of identity and redemption on scene since maybe ever.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
not on amazon prime yet.....they still want $18 for the download.

Bite me.
View Quote

Free on youtube.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I was not in WWII but I cannot imagine American soldiers acting in such a barbaric way. As in the scene with the German woman. I'm sure worse thing happened, especially from Russian troops but not US.

My grand parents told us stories of how German vs. Russian soldiers acted on the Eastern front...Germans being polite and professional handing out candy while Russians being drunk and wanting to rape and steal everything drinking from the toilet and machine gunning an alarm clock because it was ringing (grand parents are Hungarian). My favorite story is of a German soldier in my Grandmother's garden shooting dozens of Russians who were on horseback (Cossacks?). Until he had one round left and blew his own head off instead of being captured.

I have also read stories of disabled tank crews holding out for DAYS against determined infantry attacks on the Eastern Front.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#5]
It could have been a good movie

missed by a few inches

a lot of it was Hollywood-ish

the final scene with the entire regiment of germans committing suicide spoiled the movie for me, it was just too absurd

these Hollywood guys never realize that "a whole lot" does not equal better

you can make a scene with two guys fighting that's far more exciting than 10,000 guys fighting, especially if the 10,000 guys are getting mowed down like sheep

sometime watch the original 'all quiet on the western front."

even with the old fashioned acting, the movie is powerful

the scene where the protagonist stabs a French soldier and then has to listen to him gasping and dying all night is gripping

they'd never make a scene like that today, too boring, not enough sgt. rock
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Great movie all around.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate the artistic ambition but the script and characters were clichéd and predictable. Three stars.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#8]
it was tolerable to start but by then end they were jumping too many sharks
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The part that I was most looking forward to, was the scene with the actual, been there, done that, Tiger Tank. Whoowee! It's an effing beast!
Fury vs Tiger
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I liked it, but didnt care for the whole make me eggs scene.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I hated it and was super disappointed. I have never been so disappointed by a film ever and the ending was total shit.

Arfcom  gave it good reviews, but this is the second time it bit me in the ass. First was that movie with the seal guys as actors...it sucked bad also.  Never take arfcom''s advice on movies.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

An acquaintance was a Professor at a local university, he was from Poland and was there as a child during WW2, he talked about how cruel the Germans were, and when the Russians came in it was 10 times worse, somehow his father got the family out of the country and to the USA.  He never had anything good to say about Russia.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was not in WWII but I cannot imagine American soldiers acting in such a barbaric way. As in the scene with the German woman. I'm sure worse thing happened, especially from Russian troops but not US.

My grand parents told us stories of how German vs. Russian soldiers acted on the Eastern front...Germans being polite and professional handing out candy while Russians being drunk and wanting to rape and steal everything drinking from the toilet and machine gunning an alarm clock because it was ringing (grand parents are Hungarian). My favorite story is of a German soldier in my Grandmother's garden shooting dozens of Russians who were on horseback (Cossacks?). Until he had one round left and blew his own head off instead of being captured.

I have also read stories of disabled tank crews holding out for DAYS against determined infantry attacks on the Eastern Front.

An acquaintance was a Professor at a local university, he was from Poland and was there as a child during WW2, he talked about how cruel the Germans were, and when the Russians came in it was 10 times worse, somehow his father got the family out of the country and to the USA.  He never had anything good to say about Russia.

I heard that Stalin told his army to pay them back and pay them back good for what the Germans did at Stalingrad.
There were some Polish units involved in Russia too they say.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I hated it and was super disappointed. I have never been so disappointed by a film ever and the ending was total shit.

Arfcom  gave it good reviews, but this is the second time it bit me in the ass. First was that movie with the seal guys as actors...it sucked bad also.  Never take arfcom''s advice on movies.
View Quote

I think you're confusing Fury with Z Nation, another brad pit film.

Arfcom spoke highly of Z Nation, it was a fucking disaster

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Act Of Valor was pretty bad. :).

Make the most of Fury. From the production notes, it was a huge PITA to film so it's unlikely you'll see more Tank movies in the future.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I liked it. it was entertaining.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember seeing a few white skined, red headed, green and blue eyed bastards at about 3-4 years old in a town not far from Fallujah, Iraq in 2007-2008.

Which is weird because their conception put them around 2004....which is when the big push for Fallujah happened.

But alas, I'm sure some war hungry salt dog married the woman and then left after his deployment.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Fun beer and pretzels type movie.

Saving Private Ryan still holds the title as most realistic WWII movie IMO
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I thought it was a decent movie.

Brad Pitt's famous ad-libbed line "ideals are peaceful, history is violent" is multi-use...I've borrowed it to help shut down a hippy buddy of mine.
View Quote

I think ARFKOM is way too demanding. Good WWII movies are few and far between, I lapped it up. I know Pitt was too old to be a tank commander, etc. I found it a good combat movie.
It wasn't "Cross of Iron", but it was probably the best WWII movie last year.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fun beer and pretzels type movie.

Saving Private Ryan still holds the title as most realistic WWII movie IMO
View Quote

Das Boot?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I remember seeing a few white skined, red headed, green and blue eyed bastards at about 3-4 years old in a town not far from Fallujah, Iraq in 2007-2008.

Which is weird because their conception put them around 2004....which is when the big push for Fallujah happened.

But alas, I'm sure some war hungry salt dog married the woman and then left after his deployment.

View Quote

One guy in this thread has already said that the Americans were generally not that brutal towards women in WWll.
I have seen Marines that I thought would be capable of doing anything.
I mean. Anything.
And that was just on liberty state side at the time.

edit: Of course this was only a couple years after Nam and morale in the Corps was generally running a bit low I thought latter on.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Saw this one for the first time last night. Thought that it probably depicted the last days of WWII in Germany pretty good.
Have ya'll seen it yet? 2014 production starring Brad Pitt as a US Army tanker Staff Sgt.
Did you like it?

https://youtu.be/SKu5lGfRBxc
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm with VA on this.  Horrid movie that didn't do anything or say anything that has been done or said before.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#25]
if you are asking GD about how good a war movie is you should know they would tear apart real film footage about ww2.There are so many so called "experts" here that if you put them all in a bucket that the bucket would still be empty.Never come to GD to ask an opinion,they will rip you apart.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have some Polish relatives that said basically the same thing.  They were actually paranoid in 1989-1990 when Germany reunited but at the same time hoped that the unified Germany would rush across Poland against the Soviets because they really hated them more.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Disappointing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
if you are asking GD about how good a war movie is you should know they would tear apart real film footage about ww2.There are so many so called "experts" here that if you put them all in a bucket that the bucket would still be empty.Never come to GD to ask an opinion,they will rip you apart.
View Quote

What did you personally think about the movie?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Its not how I remembered WW2
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The ending was pure Hollywood. Any competent soldier would not have done what they did.
View Quote

On both sides.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's a movie, not a documentary.

I liked it.

Most of arfcom says it wasn't like how they remembered WWII when they were the commander of a tank.
View Quote

I was a fighting vehicle guy (Bradley) but not in WWII.

Shit hasn't changed that much that the "that would never happen" bullshit flag can't be thrown.

Tank on tank would have been a harder story to tell, but a more relevant and compelling one for a story about a WWII tank crew.

That movie wasn't even really about anything.

It was an idea for a story that never got made into a story.

Common in Pitt movies as of late. See WWZ.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I liked it.

Most of arfcom says it wasn't like how they remembered WWII when they were the commander of a tank.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Shit hasn't changed that much that the "that would never happen" bullshit flag can't be thrown.

Tank on tank would have been a harder story to tell, but a more relevant and compelling one for a story about a WWII tank crew.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I liked it.

Quoting my quote
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It a good movie that needed a new script.
View Quote

Does not compute. If it had a new script, it wouldn't be the movie it was, which you say was good.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was blown away. Best study of identity and redemption on scene since maybe ever.
View Quote

TRL or Fury?

If Fury, I'd say that maybe you're allowing your fondness for the subject matter influence your estimation of its merits.

If TRL, then I'd just say cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm with VA on this.  Horrid movie that didn't do anything or say anything that has been done or said before.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What movie has ever addressed themes like this one? It took cliches and turned the on their head. It was about a man realizing he'd become a cliche finding a way to cone to grips with not only who he was but who he could be.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#39]
They had tanks and a ginormous budget-why didn't they film James Burt's actions instead?

http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/2660/burt-james-m.php

Capt. James M. Burt
was in command of Company B, 66th Armored Regiment on the western
outskirts of Wurselen, Germany, on 13 October 1944, when his
organization participated in a coordinated infantry-tank attack destined
to isolate the large German garrison which was tenaciously defending
the city of Aachen. In the first day's action, when infantrymen ran into
murderous small-arms and mortar fire, Capt. Burt dismounted from his
tank about 200 yards to the rear and moved forward on foot beyond the
infantry positions, where, as the enemy concentrated a tremendous volume
of fire upon him, he calmly motioned his tanks into good firing
positions. As our attack gained momentum, he climbed aboard his tank and
directed the action from the rear deck, exposed to hostile volleys
which finally wounded him painfully in the face and neck. He maintained
his dangerous post despite pointblank self-propelled gunfire until
friendly artillery knocked out these enemy weapons, and then proceeded
to the advanced infantry scouts' positions to deploy his tanks for the
defense of the gains which had been made. The next day, when the enemy
counterattacked, he left cover and went 75 yards through heavy fire to
assist the infantry battalion commander who was seriously wounded. For
the next 8 days, through rainy, miserable weather and under constant,
heavy shelling, Capt. Burt held the combined forces together, dominating
and controlling the critical situation through the sheer force of his
heroic example. To direct artillery fire, on 15 October, he took his
tank 300 yards into the enemy lines, where he dismounted and remained
for 1 hour giving accurate data to friendly gunners. Twice more that day
he went into enemy territory under deadly fire on reconnaissance. In
succeeding days he never faltered in his determination to defeat the
strong German forces opposing him. Twice the tank in which he was riding
was knocked out by enemy action, and each time he climbed aboard
another vehicle and continued the fight. He took great risks to rescue
wounded comrades and inflicted prodigious destruction on enemy personnel
and materiel even though suffering from the wounds he received in the
battle's opening phase. Capt. Burt's intrepidity and disregard of
personal safety were so complete that his own men and the infantry who
attached themselves to him were inspired to overcome the wretched and
extremely hazardous conditions which accompanied one of the most bitter
local actions of the war. The victory achieved closed the Aachen gap.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Make the most of Fury. From the production notes, it was a huge PITA to film so it's unlikely you'll see more Tank movies in the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But I like tank movies.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Visually stunning movie with shitty story.

Sucked.
View Quote

I only made it a few minutes.  CGI was too corny looking.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked it.

By your logic, I should have panned just about every submarine movie out there, with the exception of Das Boot. I don't because I recognize that they are entertainment, not documentaries.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

TRL or Fury?

If Fury, I'd say that maybe you're allowing your fondness for the subject matter influence your estimation of its merits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRL or Fury?

Fury.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

But I like tank movies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I like tank movies.

I want to see that Panzer 88 movie but it looks like money problems.  Doubtful we'll see it made now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rough

I really enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Rough

I really enjoyed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rough

I really enjoyed it.

Back to the, "coke." question then..
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL

Quoted:
I hated it and was super disappointed. I have never been so disappointed by a film ever and the ending was total shit. ...

+1

Previews and news about actual German and US WWII tanks, previews of STG-44's,  . . . . I was really looking forward to it.

It was a 1950's B-movie cliche with CGI, with a retarded action movie ending

With the equipment, money, CGi, etc, they had, they could have made a great movie

VA-gunnut is right, it's worse than Thin Red Line

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#49]
A few posters keep talking about rape in the movie. I don't recall any rape scene.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
A few posters keep talking about rape in the movie. I don't recall any rape scene.
View Quote

I think they're addressing the potential of it with Pitt's character suggesting he would had if the kid didn't take Emma into the room himself.

Personally, I think Pitt's character's motives were to get the kid out of his comfort zone i.e. make a man out of him more than anything as he was trying to do so the entire movie.  There was no other scene that suggested rape so that's my take on it.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top