Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/12/2015 1:08:22 PM EDT
Saw this one for the first time last night. Thought that it probably depicted the last days of WWII in Germany pretty good.
Have ya'll seen it yet? 2014 production starring Brad Pitt as a US Army tanker Staff Sgt.
Did you like it?

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
You obviously missed the all the multi-page threads we had on this movie lol.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You obviously missed the all the multi-page threads we had on this movie lol.
View Quote

Maybe some others missed it too..
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Needed more rape to be realistic. That and a tank without infantry support and a STG44 wielding sgt.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Visually stunning movie with shitty story.

Sucked.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know most here liked it, but I think it sucked more than the Thin Red Line.
View Quote

This.  Couldn't finish it.

Back-talk your WWII sgt in combat and you can expect him to lovingly brush your teeth with the butt stock of his M1.  As correction to you and an object lesson to the rest of the unit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Was a great movie.

Protip:  Fury is not about WWII, or Tanks, or Nazis, or whatever.  Those things are just setting.

Fury is a movie about the love / hate relationship between men in horrific circumstances.  About a long slow descent into the dark and finally... redemption, of a sort.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Great movie.
I just don't understand why he didn't just retreat to fight another day.
His hate for the Nazi's cost his life and those of his crew.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Was a great movie.
View Quote

I actually thought that it was pretty good too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dont think it sucked that bad.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Great movie.
View Quote

what were the orders? I seem to remember something about "at all costs"
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#12]
The ending was pure Hollywood. Any competent soldier would not have done what they did.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The ending was pure Hollywood. Any competent soldier would not have done what they did.
View Quote

Could have been the Audie Murphy story. Only Audie lived.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#16]
not on amazon prime yet.....they still want $18 for the download.

Bite me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#17]
1)  What infantry battalion commander assaults a broken down tank in the dark instead of just bypassing it?

2)  What tank crew sucks so bad as to stick together for 3 years in combat w/o being promoted to command other tanks despite terrible casualties?

Ie, I've taught you everything I know about commanding a tank in combat.  We'll let these green noobs command these green trank crews; you keep driving/loading/shooting.

3)  Find an enemy survivor of a horrific battle; leave him under the tank, don't report there is an enemy in our rear.

4) German households still have means to boil water on demand behind enemy lines?  Or did they have a wood stove already heated up for the eggs?

Neat movie, great to see Shermans still moving.  Would hate to face one w/o effective anti-armor weapons.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I liked it. Thought it was pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Isn't there some scripture somewhere that says "thou shalt not take on the SS in a disabled Sherman"?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but there probably was one or two that would have though.
I would have taken my people to the tree line in a hurry.
I mean, at that point in the war I don't think that anyone was under the illusion of the allies not winning the war.
I believe that Hitler too by this point had already seen what time of day it was himself.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I found it enlightening; I never knew you could fit that many cliches in a Sherman tank.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Liked it so much I got the haircut.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Liked it better than SPR; one of my more preferred war movies now.

When SPR is on I'll watch mostly just the beginning.  With Fury, so far I've tuned in every time it's been aired.  Good formula/relationship/script IMO between the crew members that made it likable

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sucked.
View Quote

Good summary.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Isn't there some scripture somewhere that says "thou shalt not take on the SS in a disabled Sherman"?
View Quote

What kind of got me about the movie in retrospect though, is that when the kid saw the SS battalion coming, there were several or even more Nazi troopers toting Panzer fausts. (spelled right?)
Anyway, I think that their tank and the crew would have been nailed and baled within just a matter of a couple of minutes of the initial fire fight beginning.
You know, like credits rolling pretty damn quick.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
1)  What infantry battalion commander assaults a broken down tank in the dark instead of just bypassing it?

2)  What tank crew sucks so bad as to stick together for 3 years in combat w/o being promoted to command other tanks despite terrible casualties?

Ie, I've taught you everything I know about commanding a tank in combat.  We'll let these green noobs command these green trank crews; you keep driving/loading/shooting.

3)  Find an enemy survivor of a horrific battle; leave him under the tank, don't report there is an enemy in our rear.

4) German households still have means to boil water on demand behind enemy lines?  Or did they have a wood stove already heated up for the eggs?

Neat movie, great to see Shermans still moving.  Would hate to face one w/o effective anti-armor weapons.
View Quote

I don't pretend to know military matters, but this line of thinking is not uncommon in general.  I have team leads who have been here 1/3 of my time at my company, are younger and don't know the company's way of working entirely not to mention having less experience.  Have to correct them many times and teach them proper way to get things done not to mention correct their designs.

They move some people up as just managers instead of experienced engineers for just managing which IMO is a terrible inefficient way to run a project.  Not surprised if the same line of thinking is used in many other situations.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

Shots fired lol
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, why they crew would have waited until the enemy soldiers were all around them and climbing on top of them before firing made no sense.  Could have slaughtered over half of the enemy in the last battle from a few hundred yards with high explosive and white phosphorous shells while laying into them with three machine guns, and then withdrawn as dark set in to fight another day in another tank.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#29]
It's a movie, not a documentary.

I liked it.

Most of arfcom says it wasn't like how they remembered WWII when they were the commander of a tank.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought it was a decent movie.

Brad Pitt's famous ad-libbed line "ideals are peaceful, history is violent" is multi-use...I've borrowed it to help shut down a hippy buddy of mine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#31]
[b]Quoted:

Sucked.
View Quote

My feelings as well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great movie.

Yep, hold that intersection at all costs....

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's a movie, not a documentary.

I liked it.

Most of arfcom says it wasn't like how they remembered WWII when they were the commander of a tank.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#34]
It a good movie that needed a new script.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Great movie.
View Quote

It wasn't his hate that kept him there, it was his duty and commitment to the mission. He stayed for the mission, his men stayed from him.

From the wiki...... "A platoon of four tanks, led by Fury, receives orders to hold a vital crossroads, protecting a clear path to supply trains and a camp full of nurses and rear-echelon troops. The map shows Emmerthal south of Hameln, where the railway from the Ruhr district to Hanover crosses the Weser river."

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yeah, why they crew would have waited until the enemy soldiers were all around them and climbing on top of them before firing made no sense.  Could have slaughtered over half of the enemy in the last battle from a few hundred yards with high explosive and white phosphorous shells while laying into them with three machine guns, and then withdrawn as dark set in to fight another day in another tank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought the same then stood back to rationalize it and realized if they did that, they would have had less chance to hit accurately with anything else but the main tank gun which would be bad with the limited ammo they had.  Plus, it would make it easier from a distance for the enemy to spread out from all sides and creep in on them.  

Through the element of surprised they got the advantage while also being in close distance with an armored meat shield made it a better advantage IMO to gun them down easier and make each shot count.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The whole scene with the German women was horrible
View Quote

It made it feel all the more like Apolcalypse Now Redux. In Europe. From a tank.

I do not mean this as a compliment.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I could see it happening though.
And worse.
I don't think that the Russians would have been that kind.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Definitely breaks up the mood of the movie for sure, but I think they tossed it in their to show another side to Pitt's character contrast to the other crew members.  Same thing later in the movie when he quotes scripture and surprises Bible with it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#42]
I saw it...wasn't bad....didn't see it in the movies...rented it...but it was hard, as I can't stand most of those liberal fucks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah...that stuff never happens when countries invade other countries.

Hell, it never happens even without war.

Rape and/or sex by authority is a figment of peoples imagination
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Yes

Yes

Read the other threads too

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't think of any war film that stunk more than The Thin Red Line.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Didn't like it. Most of the movie was pointless.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why the Germans wouldn't march right around them is beyond me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#48]
FPNI. It really is a great movie.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And worse.

Of course you could. Youve grown up on a generation of movies depicting the American fighting man as

a neanderthalic, knuckle dragging inbred hick evil piece of baby murdering shit.

At least 10000 women got raped in irag right? I mean look at all the filthy american soldiers we had there.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Shia LeDoof gets capped, therefor it is an excellent movie.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top