BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Things I probably can't go without every since I've had it:
Smart phone
Full lawn service (cuts grass, trims bushes, and pulls weeds)
Maid service
Back up cam
Cooled seats
Roomba
Good hand tools
Propane bbq pit and smoker
A good vise
Good cooking knives/utensils
Hd tv with hd service
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Baby wipes. I can't take a shit without baby wipes these days.
View Quote

Thank you for this. I actually laughed out loud when I read it.

Last thing I ask the wife as we walk out the door for any overnight trip, "honey, did you make sure to pack the wipes?"

Love that sort clean feeling.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Guns
View Quote

Those are most assuredly NOT "luxuries". Mine was a smartphone.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Darn Tough Merino wool socks.

I won't wear anything else.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Sirius radio.
Although I hate their customer non support.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Remote start on the car-Nice to have a nice warm, defosted car in winter or a cold car in the summer

Twice monthly housecleaning.

Head lamp. Bought one of these even though I have multiple higher end flashlights. Ended up using it more often than any of those. Real useful working on the car or any other task needing 2 hands.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Equipment-Storm-Headlamp/dp/B004AJLTK2

ETA-Running shoes from real running store. Before taking up running/triathlons would just buy any old sneaker. Once I started running, went to a running store to buy shoes. They'll watch your running style, listen to your issues or needs and match you up with the right shoe. Worlds of difference.  Will cost more and yes you can buy the same exact shoe at amazon, but the small difference for the service they provide is worth it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You wear hiking shoes every day?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MERRELL CHAMELEON STRETCH SHOES.

All other footwear is dead to me now.

I have 5 new pair stored at the BOL I will not be without!

I am wearing a pair now and will never buy another. I should have got another pair of Keens.

For me it was my AppleWatch, I love this thing.

I do.

I am in commercial landscaping and I average 40 miles a week walking. Athletic shoes last me about 3 months before the soles are worn smooth and they are floppy and uncomfortable. Hiking shoes generally do better with a stiffer more durable rubber on the sole.

I love the way the Chameleons look and how they feel when I am sitting down, but they just don't work for me on the move. Not blaming the shoes, I have weird feet and walk a lot so i am pretty particular about what I want and what feels good.

I am still trying to find "the shoe" that works, in which case, like BUCK1911, I will buy multiple pairs. But finding something that works and doesn't look weird in size 14 or 15 is tough.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:05:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Remote start on the car-Nice to have a nice warm, defosted car in winter or a cold car in the summer

Twice monthly housecleaning.

Head lamp. Bought one of these even though I have multiple higher end flashlights. Ended up using it more often than any of those. Real useful working on the car or any other task needing 2 hands.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Equipment-Storm-Headlamp/dp/B004AJLTK2

ETA-Running shoes from real running store. Before taking up running/triathlons would just buy any old sneaker. Once I started running, went to a running store to buy shoes. They'll watch your running style, listen to your issues or needs and match you up with the right shoe. Worlds of difference.  Will cost more and yes you can buy the same exact shoe at amazon, but the small difference for the service they provide is worth it.
View Quote

I did that once, then bought the same shoes from Amazon after the pair from the store wore out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:37:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Those of you with house cleaners ;do you get shy about how dirty the house gets between cleanings? Do you clean a little before the maid comes to finish the rest? I've been thinking about doing this but honestly am embarrassed at how messy the house can get sometimes
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Those of you with house cleaners ;do you get shy about how dirty the house gets between cleanings? Do you clean a little before the maid comes to finish the rest? I've been thinking about doing this but honestly am embarrassed at how messy the house can get sometimes
View Quote

It actually is a reminder to go through the house to declutter. We also don't not clean between their visits - we vacuum floors, clean and mop the kitchen as needed, scrub the toilets when needed, etc. I know some people leave everything for the service, but I can't imagine doing that with a couple young kids and a dog. I'm cluttered in some areas, but there's a difference between clutter and filth.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I refer you to my avatar. Like a needle in my vein...

Seriously, my luxury spending has been on staying in a decent hotel when I go to work. Once you spend a few bucks more for a Courtyard or Westin, it's tough to go back to the Quality.

TC
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:06:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Tempurpedic mattress
His and hers master bathrooms - will never share again.
Well bred dogs
Kitchenaid mixer
LEM #22 grinder
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#13]
A CMC double stage trigger.
Heated steering wheel on my truck, plus the heated/cooled seats and remote start.
Apparently, expensive watches, purses, and jewelry for a certain woman I'm with.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Back up camera on my truck.  It was already on the truck so I didn't exactly purchase it.  I can no longer back up without it though.  Lost my skills.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#15]
This thread is forcing me to go to the hardware store at lunch today to replace my boots, shoes, and socks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Craft beer.  Cannot drink Bud/Miller/Coors or any mass produced swill anymore.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, let's go back to the beginning and try again.

The OP asked what little luxury costing less than $500 could we, as individuals, not live without?

I said "La Perla bras"

You were shocked that I'd pay $500 to hold my tits up.

I still trying to figure out why you think I'm paying $500 a piece for them.  Can you help me out?

Did I pick a bad example?

http://www.laperla.com/us/uscfilpd906430.html?color=40&size=58&gclid=Cj0KEQjwtO2wBRCu0d2dkvjVi5cBEiQAMEIVGQ-vIjnvMJw8sTrghYzOOTY2DWysxAf0u45g-dqlgygaAkuY8P8HAQ

Since you looked this up, there's a good chance half the places you go on the internet will try to sell you bras now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Back up camera on my truck.  It was already on the truck so I didn't exactly purchase it.  I can no longer back up without it though.  Lost my skills.
View Quote

No shit.

I hate backing a vehicle without one anymore.

I bought a car 6 years ago with one, made fun of it until I started using it - and within a few years I found myself upgrading the truck. I tow a trailer too, so it's like cheating when it comes to coupling.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MERRELL CHAMELEON STRETCH SHOES.
All other footwear is dead to me now.
I have 5 new pair stored at the BOL I will not be without!

I am wearing a pair now and will never buy another. I should have got another pair of Keens.

For me it was my AppleWatch, I love this thing.

I do.

I've had a pair of quality hiking boots on my feet every day for the past 25 years.

I keep separate pairs of boots for daily wear and actual hiking, so that I don't blow out the ones that I am truly punishing my feet in.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No shit.

I bought a car 6 years ago with one, made fun of it until I started using it - and within a few years I found myself upgrading the truck. I tow a trailer too, so it's like cheating when it comes to coupling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.

Yep.  Aerodynamics and crash safety are reducing field of view and making huge blind spots with their sloping roofs, big pillars, etc.  I never saw a need for back-up cameras in the past, but they are becoming a necessity in modern cars.  Sometimes I wonder if we'll go full retard and eventually have cars with no windows, just cameras.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep.  Aerodynamics and crash safety are reducing field of view and making huge blind spots with their sloping roofs, big pillars, etc.  I never saw a need for back-up cameras in the past, but they are becoming a necessity in modern cars.  Sometimes I wonder if we'll go full retard and eventually have cars with no windows, just cameras.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.

I am still trying to figure out why luxury cars have side view mirrors at all. THey should have a IR camera on each side that either has a HUD of the side of your car or on each side of the rear view mirror. I imagine that would free up some drag and also give you the ability to see that asshole in your blind spot.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Since you looked this up, there's a good chance half the places you go on the internet will try to sell you bras now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, let's go back to the beginning and try again.

The OP asked what little luxury costing less than $500 could we, as individuals, not live without?

I said "La Perla bras"

You were shocked that I'd pay $500 to hold my tits up.

I still trying to figure out why you think I'm paying $500 a piece for them.  Can you help me out?

Did I pick a bad example?

http://www.laperla.com/us/uscfilpd906430.html?color=40&size=58&gclid=Cj0KEQjwtO2wBRCu0d2dkvjVi5cBEiQAMEIVGQ-vIjnvMJw8sTrghYzOOTY2DWysxAf0u45g-dqlgygaAkuY8P8HAQ

Shit!

I never even thought of that.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Logitech Harmony One remote
27 inch computer screen
meat slicer
Eotechs
case feeder for my Hornady LnL
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Cleaning services, I love not having to clean my house anymore
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Back up camera in my wife's car.  

I remember telling the salesman that it wasn't a selling point, and I would probably never even use it.  Now, if I am backing up in my own car with no camera, I feel like I am lost and may never get out of my parking space without it.  

View Quote

You're doing it wrong. Back into your parking space. You'll never back out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back up camera in my wife's car.  

I remember telling the salesman that it wasn't a selling point, and I would probably never even use it.  Now, if I am backing up in my own car with no camera, I feel like I am lost and may never get out of my parking space without it.  

That doesn't work well in cases like the small angled parking spaces in our underground garage.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Ipod Nano.

Cappresso Coffee Maker

Our new power recliner leather sofa.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Steering wheel radio controls. Didn't think much of it when I bought my new vehicle but when I drive our old car I'm beating my thumb on the wheel with no results
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeti 20 oz travel cup.
View Quote

I was given the larger 30oz Yeti for my birthday, Its great!
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Garmin 64ST GPS.

I almost bought the second highest model, the 64s, thinking I'd just load my own maps (which I did anyway), but it is nice to have the built in shaded relief map and I don't have to wonder what I would be missing.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Comfortable dress shoes. My job requires business casual. I will now make sure my dress shoes both look good and are comfortable.

Life is too short to wear uncomfortable shoes. I prefer Ecco.
View Quote

Buy yourself some Lucchese's like a real man.  

Canal I suits and Lucchese's boots are my indulgence.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#32]

A dash cam for my private vehicles.  I don't consider them a luxury any more - they're more like an essential item now

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Craft beer.  Cannot drink Bud/Miller/Coors or any mass produced swill anymore.
View Quote

Oh, yeah, this too.. My buddy and I actually sent back a pint of Coors and Lite last week. (We were trying to cut down the alcohol content and calories after a craft pint.)

Just can't do it.

TC
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Used to be SmartWool socks. They've been dethroned by Darn Tough socks.
Followed by UnderArmor boxer briefs.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#35]
cruise control on a car.  It is so nice to have that again.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Comfortable dress shoes. My job requires business casual. I will now make sure my dress shoes both look good and are comfortable.

Probably works ok in Texas. Here, you look like a Mexican pimp if you go business casual with anachronistic footwear from the 1800's.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Probably works ok in Texas. Here, you look like a Mexican pimp if you go business casual with anachronistic footwear from the 1800's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anachronism lives!
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Nice bed sheets.
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Really good whole bean coffee and a french press.

Towels are another but a distant second.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Smart Wool socks. I can never go back to cheap socks now.
View Quote

Annual warehouse sale, $5/pair, limit 20 pair/person
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Red Bull
darn tough socks
Merino wool underwear
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Same here, always swore I would never need/use all that phone, now I am attached to it.
Quoted:
Unfortunately its this ignorant smart phone.  I would LOVE to dump all our phones and go to just a cheap flip phone but I am not sure I could survive.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yup.

But get ready to pay $15-20 per pair of socks. They last forever though, I have smartwool socks that are over 5 years old. I use the medium hiking socks with a liner when backpacking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smart Wool socks. I can never go back to cheap socks now.

Was going to post the exact thing. Love mine. Bought them last winter and thought they might be too hot come summer time but nope they are great and I wear them everyday.

I've heard about these. 'splain

My socks are purchased in packs of 6 pairs, wrapped in plastic, for $10. Am I doing it wrong?

Yup.

But get ready to pay $15-20 per pair of socks. They last forever though, I have smartwool socks that are over 5 years old. I use the medium hiking socks with a liner when backpacking.

That's what I wear too. And everyday in combat boots. Good socks are worth it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's a requirement for me anymore, with a dell docking station
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dual monitor setup. I just had a monitor shit the bed and I'm about to go nuts working on just one.

That's a requirement for me anymore, with a dell docking station

YES. Once you get used to two, working on one is nigh on impossible.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Arc'teryx Atom LT hoody.

Absolutely could not live without it.
View Quote

Oh yeah. Best jacket evar. I could die happy in that jacket.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Alden Cordovan Shells 975.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Anachronism lives!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anachronism lives!

I work in San Francisco and Manhattan .  This week I am actually doing a marathon, San Fran, Los Angeles, Vegas, Phoenix, then Dallas.  Next week is Sacramento then Los Angeles.  NICE dress boots are extremely dressy.  The pair I have on right now are hand made to my feet, Lucchese Horn Back Caiman, cigar colored.  I'm in a Navy Canali suit too...my wife got me to dress like this (she lived on Rodeo drive for a few years) and I get more complements in New York than anywhere else.  But I have YET to go a week without a random stranger complementing me.  This week is was a young Asian skater looking dude...pointed at my suit and asked where he could get one.  Class crosses all preconceived boundaries.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Agreed.  Use it all day every day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeti cup

This. It has been the best $40 i've ever spent.

Agreed.  Use it all day every day.

This!! And I just added an upgrade to it today
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

My wife got one as a wedding gift and its never been used. Just sits on the counter collecting dust. I try to sell it at every garage sale and she says no

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kitchenaid stand mixer instead of a cheap stand mixer.

My wife got one as a wedding gift and its never been used. Just sits on the counter collecting dust. I try to sell it at every garage sale and she says no

This guy doesn't ever 1) hunt 2) make sausages
I couldn't imagine not having a kitchen aid in the house for the wife to stuff casings, perhaps you did not know it can take that attachment?  (Grind and Stuff)
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top