Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/12/2015 10:43:26 AM EDT
I've known Joe since he was an 18-year-old freshman in the TAMU Corps of Cadets.

This article  is pointing out that Texas has twice the national average of young people who are in too poor physical shape to serve.

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/too-fat-too-frail-to-serve-report-states-1.372670

Too fat, too frail to serve, report states
By Beatriz Alvarado
Corpus Christi Caller-Times, Texas
Published: October 10, 2015

The average of Texas young adults ineligible to serve their county is higher than the national average, a report states.

Retired Army Brigadier General Joe E. Ramirez Jr., also Commandant of Texas A&M University's Corps of Cadets, said the leading reason behind ineligibility is applicants are overweight and generally unhealthy.

In Texas, 73 percent of young adults can't serve. The national average is about 30 percent.

"It's been a problem for a while," he said. "Our country is getting bigger and that concerns a lot of us."

As part of a statewide speaking tour, Ramirez visited Flour Bluff and West Oso high schools this week to discuss obesity's impact on the military and ways to improve children's health in the state. He used talking points from a report by the nonprofit Mission: Readiness titled "Too Fat, Frail and Out-of-Breath to Fight."

Ramirez is a Mission: Readiness member. The nonpartisan organization of more than 550 retired generals, admirals and other senior retired leaders propose three solutions to Texas cities and school districts: Build physical activity into communities; build physical activity into the school day; and continue with healthier school meals.

The report urges city and school district officials to consider Safe Routes to School projects, of which 8,000 Texas cities have implemented. The city of Austin's Public Works department projects — Safe Routes to School and Urban Trails — are cited to be good examples of building physical activity into communities. The projects have helped increase the number of children who walk and bike to and from school by improving sidewalks, bicycle paths, intersections, traffic signals and other infrastructure, the report states.

One participating school in Austin saw an increase of about 550 students willing to ride their bike or walk to school after changes were implemented, the report states.

Texas schools' meals are up to par with national nutrition standards, but more than 60 percent of Texas adolescents report having no physical education in an average week, the report states.

Ramirez said military leaders' and the organization's authority carries enough weight to make the solutions attainable.

"This affects the ability of qualified men and women to defend the country," he said. "Being able to rely on our youth is critical."
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#1]
73%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, what the fuck is going on there
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#2]
snicker
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#3]
What exactly are they basing this off of? Height and weight alone?

I'm 5'8 and 190 - well above the 174lb max for someone my height. I'd fail based on that, but if given the tape test I'd pass as my waist is only 31-32''

With that said, there are a lot of fat fuckers here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#4]
meh. A summer at benning can fix a lot.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Everything is bigger in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm 5'8 and 190 - well above the 174lb max for someone my height. I'd fail based on that, but if given the tape test I'd pass as my waist is only 31-32''

View Quote

Yes, yes.  You're part of the 12% of men which are negatively mis-measured by BMI.  Go pick up your medal, along with the other 90% of Arfcom.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, yes.  You're part of the 12% of men which are negatively mis-measured by BMI.  Go pick up your medal, along with the other 90% of Arfcom.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At 5'8" I don't think the problem is BMI...
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
snicker
View Quote

That is one of the problems.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Everything is bigger in Texas.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snicker

Ha!
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mexicans?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been to quite a few places in the good 'ol USA and by far the fattest young people I saw were in Texas.  Nothing a bit of exercise and diet wouldn't fix though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Lol what a load of shit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#16]
To think I had to get a waiver for being under-weight when I joined the Navy.  112lbs soaking wet out of high school.  After boot camp I was up to 136lbs.  Oddly enough I was in worse shape after boot camp than I was prior to joining the Navy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#17]
One word--

Jarritos.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#18]
are they going by weight or size?

There's lots of in shape kids that are lifting weights and are going to blow the max weight out of the water. This doesn't mean they can't run or aren't in shape. Seems misleading.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
To think I had to get a waiver for being under-weight when I joined the Navy.  112lbs soaking wet out of high school.  After boot camp I was up to 136lbs.  Oddly enough I was in worse shape after boot camp than I was prior to joining the Navy.
View Quote

Of course - over 3 months you put on 24lbs of mostly fat. The human body can't gain that much muscle that fast (unless you're on some serious compounds).
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, there is many fat people here... They are taking over. Lmao though, who cares?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At 6'3, 220lbs I always had to be tape tested since the BMI nailed me at overweight.

Tape test always produced 11-12% bf, so yes it happens if you lift weights.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#22]
yea, well.... Chris Kyle is from Texas so SUCK IT!
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#23]
And yet we still make up the largest contingent in the armed forces.

Fuck you 49 staters.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/mil_tot_mil_rec_arm_nav_air_for-recruits-army-navy-air-force
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Of course - over 3 months you put on 24lbs of mostly fat. The human body can't gain that much muscle that fast (unless you're on some serious compounds).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or was on the above average side and kept growing, put on 3-4 lbs of muscle, and a few pounds of water from being properly hydrated.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Fewer and fewer affordable opportunities for hunting, fishing and shooting. Everything is pussified, lets still around and talk about our feelings. Id rather stay home and eat Oreos.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#26]
In Texas, 73 percent of young adults can't serve.
View Quote

The other 27% are involved in high school football.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Well I am 6'8" and 475 pounds.

I have a 28" waist and run a sub 15 3 mile.

this whole thing is bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm 5'-10" 165lbs and have a waist line of 31".  I call B.S.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

All those HPV shots making chicks fat?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have been to quite a few places in the good 'ol USA and by far the fattest young people I saw were in Texas.  Nothing a bit of exercise and diet wouldn't fix though.
View Quote

I've heard before that Corpus Christi was the fattest city in the US. Can't cite the source and am in the middle of my mid-morning meal and can't be bothered to search for it.    
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
And yet we still make up the largest contingent in the armed forces.

Fuck you 49 staters.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/mil_tot_mil_rec_arm_nav_air_for-recruits-army-navy-air-force
View Quote

I was coming to post that a huge percentage of people I served with came from Texas.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Are they pulling those numbers from applicants/enlistments denied vs accepted or the overall population? That could dramatically sway the percentages considering that Texas has the most military recruits of all the states
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Texans love fast food.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Mexican food
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Mucho mucho tortillas?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

At 6'3, 220lbs I always had to be tape tested since the BMI nailed me at overweight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and only 12% of men are in your situation.  6% of men are actually fatter than BMI says they are, and the remaining 82% are inline with BMI.

So you can join Synyster in being part of the elite 12%.  Of course, even if we subtract you out of Texas's fat problem (while adding in the 6% underreported), we're still looking at more than half of Texan youths being unfit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#38]
It's time we talked about sensible BBQ restrictions
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Study is practically pointless.  Unless there is a draft, it does not matter if 70 % are to fat to serve.  What matters is if those who want to can.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Between HS varsity football, basketball, and wrestling teams, TX could probably fill the yearly recruiting targets for combat arms for the entire country.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#41]
I remember when I went in they didn't care what you weighed. We had some seriously fat dudes come in. All you had to do was 13 correct pushups when you got to reception. If you didn't they put you in FTU (those poor bastards got smoked HARD lol).

They used to PT the ever living shit out of us back then. The fat boys lost tons of weight, the skinny guys gained some. We had a guy in my platoon  with the most weight lost in the history of Sand Hill. Like around 60lbs

Eco 3/32
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't lie, you also have a 12 inch Johnson, are married to a super model, and make a million plus a month....

Its ok, you are amongst friends.  No need to be subtle.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#43]
I am 63 years old and have never seen so many fat ass out of shape young people as I have in the last 10 years.
It's fucking disgusting.

There is a whole wave of these people that will be checked out of Motel Earth before they even see 55 if they don't tighten up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Study is practically pointless.  Unless there is a draft, it does not matter if 70 % are to fat to serve.  What matters is if those who want to can.  
View Quote
Unless they are fat, then they can't. But you've condemned them to not mattering.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

Heh. That it will, or you'll heat cat with a full medical discharge and money for the rest of your life!
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Don't lie, you also have a 12 inch Johnson, are married to a super model, and make a million plus a month....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sylvan doesn't like BMI.  I'm pretty sure his post is hyperbole meant to poke fun at BMI.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't need to mock his deficiencies.   Just because his dick is a mere 12 inches and he only makes a million a month doesn't mean he can't hang out with the rest of the cool kids.  We're gracious and can overlook his underachieving ways, despite not meeting the 5 million/month minimum requirement.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

11.5", she was simply a swim suit model and my million is BEFORE taxes, so I don't count that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But can he dunk a basketball?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I assume your pecker is just under 16".....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top