Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/9/2015 1:41:44 PM EDT
Just wondering.  I'm thinking I want to either take mine in just for preventive maintenance issues, but I got to thinking do they even do that nowadays?  What's involved?  Just a general check of fluids or do they actually assess how the engine is running and make it run smoother?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#2]
No, the only thing they tune these days is your wallet.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Change your fluids and filters?

Not much else that I'm aware of these days can be "tuned up"
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. They bring it to me, and I add 350hp.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Only thing you can tune up in todays car is the computer.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

wat
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
wat
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

wat
No shit. Wat

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing to really "tune" anymore. Just routine maintenance,fresh plugs and fuel filter if serviceable an air filter and pcv valve if equipped.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Spark plugs still need to be changed. Some engines require partial disassembly to do this. Some spark plugs are known to break off in the head. You don't want that to happen if you aren't prepared to fix it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

wat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat

Stock vehicle keeping it to stock tuning.

I get we can tune a vehicle to make more power, are you tuning engines that get out of adjustment from stock power levels?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#12]
There's scheduled maintenance intervals, but it's definitely not a "tune up" up in the way that those of us who owned cars made in the 60's and 70's would have understood it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Terminology is confusing.

Nowadays, it's not so much a "tune-up" as it is maintenance.

Still very necessary.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No shit. Wat  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat
No shit. Wat  

Are you tuning a vehicle to keep it in stock parameters?

I fully understand you can add a fuck ton of power to engines by tuning them
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Basic stuff you can do for the "tune-up", that's often all, if not more, than shops will do:

~Battery voltage
~Scan for fault codes
~Spark plugs
~Fuel, air, oil, breather, etc. filters
~Fluids
~Replace O2 sensors
~Clean fuel injectors

Probably missing some but that's the gist.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There's scheduled maintenance intervals, but it's definitely not a "tune up" up in the way that those of us who owned cars made in the 60's and 70's would have understood it.
View Quote

What, no valve job with my 50K tune-up? Sonny, I better talk to the manager.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep, generally around 100,000 miles.

Plugs, timing chain/belt, whatever trans stuff the manufacturer recommends, rear end fluid change, flush radiator, check A/C system, etc.

Basically a combination big maintenance interval and thorough check over.

Modern cars CAN go 300,000-500,000 miles with small maintenance items here and there. Those that don't see regularly scheduled maintenance and tune ups, however...
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pre-Emission heads running current non-leaded gas? Yeah, probably need a valve job.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Manufacturers recommended preventative and scheduled maintenance.  I don't know if that qualifies as a tune up.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Spark plugs still need to be changed. Some engines require partial disassembly to do this. Some spark plugs are know to break off in the head. You don't want that to happen if you aren't prepared to fix it.

View Quote

I had that happen years ago. I had to drive about 10 miles on 5 of 6 cylinders.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#21]
yes

NOS for the Vtec, yo
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I get we can tune a vehicle to make more power, are you tuning engines that get out of adjustment from stock power levels?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat

Let's take a normal, basic gas engine example.

Old school days. What were the primary things performed during a "tune-up" besides maintenance? Carburetor adjustments (air/fuel) and distributor adjustments (timing).

Guess what a modern 'tune' download changes? Air/fuel and timing.

Just because the tool is a flash device instead of a screwdriver, does not inherently change the act. And to those to who cry "but it's not stock after a tune!", well,  after Johnny mechanic turns the spark advance up 5 degrees on your '78 351W, is it still any more or less stock than the same thing performed electronically on a newer engine?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I have them do the Plugs and points in my Prius once a year. Great deal on service it is only 350 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I think what ALOT of places dont do now is the "lube" part.  I work on my own cars but whenever I work on friends/family cars I always make sure to lube the bushings too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Old school days. What were the primary things performed during a "tune-up" besides maintenance? Carburetor adjustments (air/fuel) and distributor adjustments (timing).

Just because the tool is a flash device instead of a screwdriver, does not inherently change the act. And to those to who cry "but it's not stock after a tune!", well,  after Johnny mechanic turns the spark advance up 5 degrees on your '78 351W, is it still any more or less stock than the same thing performed electronically on a newer engine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat

My interpretation was carb adjustments, timing, setting your points etc etc was a tune up.  The engine was out of factory specs and not running properly.

So what are you tuning these days that the engine is out of spec?

Not talking about adding power.  That kind of tune up I'm well aware of and enjoy the fact that I can get horsepower emailed to me
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

This thread is about expected and scheduled maintenance. In the old days, items that affected the A/F ratio and ignition timing required periodic adjustment (a tune up if you will), just to remain at the desired settings. This is no longer the case, save for component failure.

After you've had fun flashing your ECM, you will not need to do it again every 3-5k miles to maintain the same A/F ratio and ignition timing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My interpretation was carb adjustments, timing, setting your points etc etc was a tune up.  The engine was out of factory specs and not running properly.

Not talking about adding power.  That kind of tune up I'm well aware of and enjoy the fact that I can get horsepower emailed to me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat

In your average old-school tune - up, how many mechanics looked up the OEM timing specs from a book, or timed it to the highest they knew was safe for performance reasons? Let's be realistic here. It isn't often the former. And every time that happened, the car was actually receiving a "tune", by modern definition.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Bought a 05 GMC pickup last year with 42k on it. It seemed to have a little hesitation in motor but no codes.

Took to garage and had new plugs and wires and rotor cap and button. Rotor button looked very burnt.

Runs great now with no stumble in motor.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This thread is about expected and scheduled maintenance. In the old days, items that affected the A/F ratio and ignition timing required periodic adjustment (a tune up if you will), just to remain at the desired settings. This is no longer the case, save for component failure.

After you've had fun flashing your ECM, you will not need to do it again every 3-5k miles to maintain the same A/F ratio and ignition timing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my post above.

It might seem as though it's arguing semantics, but in reality, I don't believe for one second many classic "by the book" tune ups really happen on older cars, that don't fall into the same category as a tune. At least not around my area.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I think you're off arguing about tuning for power again...

But the point is more about old engines got out of tune.  Modern engines don't.  I'm not going to reflash my truck every 50k miles to keep it running right.

I'm going to change fluids and filters.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why? are your tappets noisy?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#32]
My fleet of service pickups is high miles, buy them new and run them until the engine fails at around 275k to 325k miles.

We change the plugs and wires at 150k when the tranny goes out. Other than that it's just fix what breaks.

I don't think anything else pays, from what I've seen on our pickups and vans.

EDIT - This is from a guy that owns 50% of a local auto shop with a partner and does equipment maintenance for a living. I still don't do any preventive stuff.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
See my post above.

It might seem as though it's arguing semantics, but in reality, I don't believe for one second many classic "by the book" tune ups really happen on older cars, that don't fall into the same category as a tune. At least not around my area.
View Quote

Sigh. You're confusing a "tune" with a "tune up". Forget the book.

When a mechanic adjusted the A/F ratio and ignition timing in the old days to optimize performance, this procedure had to be repeated at regular intervals just to keep the car satisfactorily running. That was a "tune up". You had to manually make adjustments to account for wear. This is no longer required.

You're not flashing the ECM every 3-5k miles just to keep the motor running at peak performance. Once you've done your "tune" and are happy with it, you're done. Nothing else is required, until a component fails. And when that component does fail (say your fancy wideband aftermarket O2 sensor dies), you simply replace it with another one. You don't have to flash the ECM again before it works correctly.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Bought a 05 GMC pickup last year with 42k on it. It seemed to have a little hesitation in motor but no codes.

Took to garage and had new plugs and wires and rotor cap and button. Rotor button looked very burnt.

View Quote
You got ripped off.

There is no "Rotor cap" on a 2005 GMC

They probably poured 2 cans of Techron in the fuel tank, which cleared your injectors, and then changed your spark plugs.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#35]
A tune-up used to be things like spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, points, valve adjustments, grease front end components, transmission filter/fluid change.

Modern vehicles have electronic computer controlled ignitions that don't have a distributor or cap/rotor/points.  They use hydraulic lifters that don't require adjustment.  Iridium/platinum tipped spark plugs go well over 100k miles with no significant reduction in performance, spark plug wires last just as long or longer (unless you break one pulling them off).  Front end components are sealed units now, they don't even have zerk (grease) fittings. Transmissions don't require fluid/screen changes usually for the life of the car now either.  

Basically all the things that used to require maintenance or a "tune up" have been designed out.  The only thing you need to do with a modern car is change the air filter every year and the oil every 5,000-10,000 miles (depending on driving style and blend) and they will run a long long time without losing performance.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You got ripped off.    There is no "Rotor cap" on a 2005 GMC
 They probably poured 2 cans of Techron in the fuel tank, which cleared your injectors, and then changed your spark plugs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stood there and watched him do it. I looked the cap and button over myself.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have them do the Plugs and points in my Prius once a year. Great deal on service it is only 350 bucks.
View Quote

So $350 dollars to change plugs because I don't think a Prius has points. Even if it did, that is not a "great" deal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#38]
A "Tune-up" IE: replacing plugs/wires, adjusting the carb, removing the fuel pump and cleaning out sediment, adjusting timing, checking compression, checking belt tension, replacing the PCV, checking the battery or whatever else the manufacturer called for is just a regular service.

It used to be you had to do everything at 5k miles, then it got extended to 10k, then 15k, then 50k. Now a "tune-up" is a 90-100k service depending on the manufacturer. A lot of things are no longer done, like replacing the points & condenser, or cleaning out the fuel pump. Some things have been added, like replacing the timing belt.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I follow the maintenance schedule to a T.  I substitute Mobile One as the oil.  I just traded in a Tahoe still running on everything original except tires.  I changed oil and filters when I was told to Plus every time I went into the sandy part of the desert or the beach.  I trade in at 100,000 miles because I go along the border a bunch.  I am also well on top of the loan and had 4k trade in for a new Tahoe.  Buck O'Rielly gave Vietnam vets jobs and I was one so I will remain loyal to him.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

In your average old-school tune - up, how many mechanics looked up the OEM timing specs from a book, or timed it to the highest they knew was safe for performance reasons? Let's be realistic here. It isn't often the former. And every time that happened, the car was actually receiving a "tune" by modern definition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In your average old-school tune - up, how many mechanics looked up the OEM timing specs from a book, or timed it to the highest they knew was safe for performance reasons? Let's be realistic here. It isn't often the former. And every time that happened, the car was actually receiving a "tune" by modern definition.

I can't tell if you're being ridiculous on purpose.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They can definitely have a rotor and cap

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just wondering.  I'm thinking I want to either take mine in just for preventive maintenance issues, but I got to thinking do they even do that nowadays?  What's involved?  Just a general check of fluids or do they actually assess how the engine is running and make it run smoother?  Just curious.
View Quote

The only thing involved with "tuning up" a current vehicle made in the last 15 years is a set of spark plugs, and an Oxygen sensor or two, if they are bad.

Praise be to fuel injection, OBDII, and coil pack/ coil on plug ignition!

ETA: And an occasional cap and rotor for those that still had distributor ignition at the time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yes. They bring it to me, and I add 350hp.
View Quote

Swing and a miss, thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No, the only thing they tune these days is your wallet.
View Quote

I believe that
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He already got ripped off buying a v6
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Eta. Nm, never had a v6 before. Hmmm. Who knew.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Yea I should have got a v8.  

Hard to pass up a bargain. 05 GMC with 42k,V6 with 5 speed for 8500.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Spark plugs?
Filters (Air/Gas/etc.)?
???

Reality is that any modern car can go over 100k+ even without those things, which isn't really a "tune up" anyway, just routine maintenance (like an oil change).

The exception of course would be..
<<<<<<< my avatar. Which can't go 20k without having to remove the engine!

I remember cars having grease fittings that needed routine injections of grease, points that needed to be polished and carbs that needed to be adjusted.
Actually, I think with the demise of the carburetor, the idea of a "tune up" started to slowly die as well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top