Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/9/2015 11:17:43 AM EDT
In highschool one of my best friends dad would always flio his shit on Arnold in Commando for not reconnecting the distributor and catching the assholes in the first 10 minutes of the movie, he couldn't believe that there were men that didn't know the 350 Chevy firing order.

Since it seems today is Post Apocalypse Friday, I though I would ask what skill you guys wish that the idiots in zombie movies had, or that you think will be necessary to become a warlard in post societal America?

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Zombie movies? Common sense.

Warlords? Disregard for feels.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Proper communication skills would be a start
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In highschool one of my best friends dad would always flio his shit on Arnold in Commando for not reconnecting the distributor and catching the assholes in the first 10 minutes of the movie, he couldn't believe that there were men that didn't know the 350 Chevy firing order.

Since it seems today is Post Apocalypse Friday, I though I would ask what skill you guys wish that the idiots in zombie movies had, or that you think will be necessary to become a warlard in post societal America?

View Quote

LOL. I own 5 different large engine vehicles, one of which is a 350. I have no idea what the firing order is on any of them.  It's OK though, since they're all coil pack ignition and the computer runs the sequence.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Grandfather's and grandmother's skill would be very handy.  Knowing how to can, use hand tools (non-powered), garden, handyman skills, mechanical skills will be very useful. This would include canning, small engine repair, blacksmithing, machine operations, etc.  The best would be to live around a community of skilled people so that one may draw off the skills of another.

Re: zombies, chain them up to a wheel and have them power a generator.  They are "green" energy.  

Last, if the police don't report to work, expect the evolution of criminal gangs into warlords who will fight for resources.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't know about Chevy, but Ford casts the firing order on the intake manifold. Of course you still have to know which cylinder in no. 1, and how they are counted.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#6]
CCW and the training and mindset to use it in movies.

See "The Last Stand"
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe the most important skill would be bureaucrat.  They could mandate housing, low price electricity, efficient water heaters, safe cars, etc. for everyone.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I think any form on mechanical knowledge is a plus post apoc or not.A man should be able to turn a few wrench's and get the basics working again.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I can barely pump my own gas.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Carbs and bacon.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#13]
In my opinion the best way to get through a bad situation is to turn off emotion completely and let logic, redundancy and prudence be your guides. If you arent capable of that, you need someone who is or you probably wont last long. You need people who can accept a new reality for what it is rather then look at it through a lens of what was. such people are very important. They can teach people to adapt to the fact that life isnt going to be like it was, and to survive they have discard their expectations.

The first skill to learn, is to discard hope.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Petroleum refining.
View Quote

Making alcohol might be a better solution for the short term,  and how to convert vehicles to run on ethanol.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#15]
http://www.survivorlibrary.com

Everything you need is there
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This comes up in every thread about stuff "every man should know"
Every OP seems to think that every guy should have THEIR skillset
How convenient
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Most important skill would be the the ability to fart on demand.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Making alcohol might be a better solution for the short term,  and how to convert vehicles to run on ethanol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Petroleum refining.

Convert vehicles to run on ethanol?  I'd rather walk.    
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#19]
A good libido and a large harem.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sure for a single family or small group but it doesn't scale well. Also the engines you really want running in a post apocalyptic world are diesel. You could get a lot of millage out of waste oil, as it will be everywhere. But if you can refine oil you would be king. It is the first step to restoring the electrical grid and large scale commerce.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Petroleum refining.

Sure for a single family or small group but it doesn't scale well. Also the engines you really want running in a post apocalyptic world are diesel. You could get a lot of millage out of waste oil, as it will be everywhere. But if you can refine oil you would be king. It is the first step to restoring the electrical grid and large scale commerce.

electricians and engineers of all types would be high on the list if you could refine in quantity.

but people to defend your operation would probably be just as valuable.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Man is a social animal - and few men are going to be able to master all of the skills that might be desirable.  Social skills and a strong social network where you end up are probably some of the most critical skills.  Knowing how to lead, how to spot a lie, how to negotiate.

Look at the Naked and Afraid XL - of the previously successful survivalists that failed, I think only one failed for non-social reasons.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Fire
Wheel
Good, ugh.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Skills needed to be a pimp. itll no longer be illegal so.

Its the worlds oldest profession or whatever
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I took up sewing book bindings as a hobby, to make cheap gifts.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Proper communication skills would be a start
View Quote

Word
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Farming
Fishing
Hunting
Medicine
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Carbs and bacon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Carbs and bacon.

I choked on my soup

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How convenient
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How convenient

No, I'm asking what skill sets GD thinks are important.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Petroleum refining.

It's a duel use skill set
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Just steal another car.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In my opinion the best way to get through a bad situation is to turn off emotion completely and let logic, redundancy and prudence be your guides. If you arent capable of that, you need someone who is or you probably wont last long. You need people who can accept a new reality for what it is rather then look at it through a lens of what was. such people are very important. They can teach people to adapt to the fact that life isnt going to be like it was, and to survive they have discard their expectations.

The first skill to learn, is to discard hope.

View Quote

Truth
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#35]
There's an old novel called The Bridge about a post apocalypse world where the environmental movement destroyed all industry and made it illegal to refer to anything technical. After they got rid of the environmentalists, they rebuilt society with things like Model T cars and AM radios because they were easy to manufacture. They planned to get to semiconductor technology, but first they had to be able to communicate and transport over distance.

The biggest skills will be the ability to find old order knowledge and use it.

The guy who knows the Chevrolet firing order is handy, but the guy who knows how to access the Chilton Manuals that have all the firing orders would be invaluable.

P.S. I suspect that the author of the book didn't know how engines worked since he said the cars had gasoline engines, not Diesels.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Do you know the riddle of steel?

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Where to find the hottest Amish GF
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#38]
The safest man in a post-apocalyptic world will be a dentist with a set of tools and a case of whiskey.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I make shoes.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The safest man in a post-apocalyptic world will be a dentist with a set of tools and a case of whiskey.
View Quote

THIS!

I'd trade a boatload of experienced auto mechanics for 1 guy with a degree in medicine.

Medical skills will be priceless in the post-apoc world.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How convenient

And like I said, everyone always seems to think that what they personally know is basic knowledge every guy should know
The basics to survive in a broken world will be how to eat clothe, shelter medicate and defend yourself. and those you love
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#42]
BTW, I might as well start the first central bank
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

damn...been 18 years since I was employed as a mechanic and still know it!

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gal here turned sixteen, drove for a week then went to the gas station when the light came on.
Called home to ask what their zip code was cuz the machine was asking...

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Car salesman
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Gal here turned sixteen, drove for a week then went to the gas station when the light came on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I am seeing that posted on some stations pumps now as a fraud protection effort
Kind of scary that teen kids don't know their own ZIP codes
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#48]

We never talk about flu pandemics anymore.  It's a shame, they seemed the easiest to deal with with a little proactive prepping.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Obviously academics who are experts at bullshitting, and looking down their nose at people from their lofty ivory tower, are going to be crucial for rebuilding our civilization.
View Quote

This.

But don't forget the telephone set sanitizers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#50]
There's an OI on how to rebuild society after SHTF.

I used to have a copy but somebody stole it or it got misplaced.   I can't find it now.  I'm SOL if the SHTF.
It's a good thing I retain my Mad Max Evil Minion  clothing...got to be prepared.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top