Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/8/2015 8:50:12 PM EDT
The difference between shop class and math class is that you will use the things you learn in shop (wood shop, metal shop, construction & building, small engines & drafting) fairly frequently for the rest of your life.

Not picking on math specifically, just angry to learn that my old high school shut down the shop and tech classes down entirely. I use what I learned in small engines WAY more often then what I learned in trig.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You're right, you never add, subtract, multiply, or divide numbers.  Also, you never solve problems in a logical and systematic manner.

We went to the moon on the back of shop class.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Of all of the subjects to unfavorably compare to shop class, you might have picked the worst.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife is a math teacher. She says math is the most-important thing *ever.*

Also... When I was a kid, I worked construction and labor jobs over the summer. I met ex-convicts who were independently wealthy from learning a trade, and doing it well. In one case, an ex-con did custom tile, and made McMansions look like their floors were tiled like a European cathedral. He did good work, his work looked like art, and nobody cared to ask him his history. His day was absolutely-full of word-of-mouth referrals for his work.

The General Contractor who was using him on that job told me the ex-con got out of prison, went to a Home Depot demonstration on laying tile, started small working for others, eventually went to work for himself and became a millionaire.

He is going to have spent a life working on his hands and knees... But he has made an honest living since getting out of prison. Good for him.

You can make a living by being smarter than everyone else, or being a harder worker than everyone else...
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of all of the subjects to unfavorably compare to shop class, you might have picked the worst.
View Quote

lol'd yep, sorry OP.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The difference between shop class and math class is that you will use the things you learn in shop (wood shop, metal shop, construction & building, small engines & drafting) fairly frequently for the rest of your life.

Not picking on math specifically, just angry to learn that my old high school shut down the shop and tech classes down entirely. I use what I learned in small engines WAY more often then what I learned in trig.
View Quote
This is the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your wrong
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Math is another tool in the toolbox for any shop or trade. Very rare is isn't a tool used often.

I do feel your pain of schools dropping shop type classes. Many of those classes gave skills to people that would not have otherwise stayed in school.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I hate math with a burning passion.

But, it is damn useful.

(Tradesman married to an actuary)
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I use trig and geometry every day. Algebra not so much but when I need it, I really wish I had a better command of it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have used shop class skills more than math skills in my life.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, who needs math?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah, who needs math?
<a href="http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/bigdeeeeeeee/media/AR-15LowerBlueprint_zpsgxjkoahm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee458/bigdeeeeeeee/AR-15LowerBlueprint_zpsgxjkoahm.jpg</a>
View Quote

came to post this...

and most my shop projects required math
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You're right, you never add, subtract, multiply, or divide numbers.  Also, you never solve problems in a logical and systematic manner.

View Quote

Both, actually.

Mathmeticians weren't cutting the aluminum that formed the LEM.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Coming from an engineering student here....math is important .
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Your You're wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your You're wrong

Not to be a grammar nazi but Jonny is right here. Problem-solving, logic, simple algebra and even trig is very handy to know. Yes construction math is important when you're doing projects but let's not get carried away here.

Remember that scene in Apollo 13 when all the engineers broke out pad and paper to work out the variables to figure out how to get the Astronauts home. Yeah, not construction math. Shit, I use logic chats just about every GD day....
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I am just a vo-tech grad but by my calculations the majority of the people in this thread are agreeing with OP at a ratio of 72:Potato

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

My son is a math major, and would disagree.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I use math every day, and I work in a field that is as non technical as you can get.

You know the last time I turned a baseball bat out on a lathe?  Jr High shop class.  I never use the vast majority of the stuff I learned there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#21]
You know what happens when you get someone that was awesome at shop class but rarely showed up to math class?
You get to buy a new fucking tool holder.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like someone tried to help with their kids common core math homework.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Where'd the OP go?

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Both, actually.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both, actually.

You can bet your ass those guys had a solid understanding of geometry.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#25]
If you use the skills learned in shop class, you are likely using math too
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

you're right...your old school should have dropped math classes and kept shop
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I may have learned more about math in shop classes than in math classes
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I think yall are being too hard on the op, I actually know what he means.

He's not saying math ain't important,  but saying the math learned and required for a shop class is more beneficial to 87% of the masses.

When I was in high school I hated math (actually I still hate it) and got d's and f's but scraped by with a d.

It wasn't until I got to the job world that I realized that math is good and needed.

However, some of that crap is not needed by most people and that is what the op is referring to.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#29]
A friend went to high school in Manhattan Beach, CA in the late 50's, early 60's   There was a shop teacher there that had a series of students in his class that became pioneers of the surf industry, like Dale Velzy and Hap Jacobs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both, actually.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Where'd the OP go?

View Quote

He's paying someone to balance his check book.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#32]
If you would have said "english literature" or "diagramming sentences" or even "history", I'd have been right there with you.

Math? No, sorry, I use that far more than I ever use anything I ever learned in shop class.

That said, the class that applies to every single second of every day of my life is physics. It changes your worldview from "this happenes in this situation, this other thing happens in this other situation" to one unified understanding of the world.  I cannot imagine going through life without a decent understanding of basic physics.  That's just crazy talk.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I am a wood shop teacher and the hardest part is teaching my students math and explaining that math will be used almost every day. Everything you listed uses a shit pot of math.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yeah, who needs math?
<a href="http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/bigdeeeeeeee/media/AR-15LowerBlueprint_zpsgxjkoahm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee458/bigdeeeeeeee/AR-15LowerBlueprint_zpsgxjkoahm.jpg</a>
View Quote

I always felt the real benefit in my shop classes was it turned all that nonsensical math in to a tangible, physical object. Math was easier to wrap my head around when I WANTED to use it.

Trig is gay, until you don't have to walk in 12 attempted cuts to get an angle correct.

Aside from all the skills and life lessons I learned.

I would be pissed, too, OP.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I may have learned more about math in shop classes than in math classes
View Quote

Yeah, drafting classes helped me understand math more practically.  Which is largely the point I'm trying to make. I said it in the original post and I'll say it again - Not Hatin on math it's damn useful. However it is beyond infuriating to see a suburban school basically making the value judgement that a practical technical education is not something they want to facilitate.

It's a huge problem in my part of the state, the leadership in these towns have basically decided that they want only Doctors and Lawyers to live in town and fuck all the blue collar people (which is probably why the town hasn't allowed a house under 2500 sq. ft to be built in the last 25 years. Only like 3000 sq. ft and up to "solidify" the tax base). I'm firmly a white collar worker, however I come from working class roots and it just infuriates me to see the towns around here run their education programs as if an accountant was morally superior to have around then a toolmaker.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#36]
he is kinda right...most people are not going to use things like using a function to prove  a parallelogram is a parallelogram or solving linear systems in 3 variables..that shit is useless and takes up needed brain cells.
but basic math and logic, being able to calculate fast, thats what you need. Funny how people take so long time at McDolands when you hand them a 20$ bill and they finally realize they are that stupid and start punching buttons in a calculator. But hey, cant blame 'em, better safe than sorry.

i wasnt the greatest at math, but wasnt the worst...had my F's and D's as well as A's and B's in college and high school. Most F's were due to procrastination but oh well. Still got good grades in the end and thats all that matters.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#37]
So we end up with kids who can calculate the cube root of infinity in their head but can't cut a 2x4?  Or you have kids who can cut a 2x4 using a torch and not leave any charred ends, but can't count beyond 5 without using both hands.

Yes, I had both calculus and business math classes in HS, but I also had shop class.  We need to produce well rounded individuals and not stick solely to a liberal arts or theoretical science curriculum.  

As my Calc teacher used to say, don't worry if you don't understand it... The world needs ditch diggers too.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#38]
As a retired wealthy former founder/owner/operator of a manufacturing company I can say with ease that math is the winner followed closely by shop class. When we first started I had to solve ALL of the problems we faced. Need a new tool? Sure I can build it. Have a crack propagation issue? Sure I can fix it. I had a ball listening to my competitors tell me for years "you can`t do that" while I used the skills (math and shop) to my advantage and eventually kicked EVERYBODYS ass in our industry.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Op i just seen your dick. Watch ou.. Nope, you just stepped on it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#40]
OP also demonstrated the difference skipping English and attending English in his title.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm not even going to argue with that retardedness. A good machinist is also very good in math.

A good engineer designs the blueprints using advanced math that the good machinist uses to build the product.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Your wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your wrong

English class was not your favorite, was it?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#43]
You need both.

And math should be through calculus.

Also music and art.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm not even going to argue with that retardedness. A good machinist is also very good in math.

A good engineer designs the blueprints using advanced math that the good machinist uses to build the product.
View Quote

A smart machinist does not tell the engineer how he fixed the original plans.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

BUT, you can't build and maintain stuff without math....engineering, drafting, building anyone.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yeah, who needs math?
View Quote

I think I failed every math class in high school, doesn't mean I can't do math or machine 80% lowers without a jig.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Public schools have a problem with explaining why and how math is useful. Often, the teachers suck at teaching.
That's why people think math is impractical and useless.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Ok I use calc, stats and algebra everyday for work, I only use shop skills on Weekend projects.

I agree that trades are important to learn as not everyone wants to go to college and find out they hate it
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pipe fitters and fabricators use a trig, geometry and algebra fairly often at work. Get both?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I think I failed every math class in high school, doesn't mean I can't do math or machine 80% lowers without a jig.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, who needs math?

Machining 80% lowers is not that complex.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top