BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a General class ham license. When I'm going somewhere expected to be outside cell coverage, I take a delorme inreach satellite SMS device to talk to Iridium satellites. 2m ham is frequently dead enough that I don't even expect anyone to be listening. Maybe the ability to hit an autopatch, but it doesn't make feel feel ready to trust it in life safety in the hills.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't totally honest about Verizon. I've also stayed because they have the best network where I spend a lot of time and that's the hiking trails. I've been in the woods many times where I'm the only one with service. From a safety standpoint that's important. Especially when you're leading groups of people.

Slight thread detour, but I would also look into an Amatuer Radio license, honestly.

I have a General class ham license. When I'm going somewhere expected to be outside cell coverage, I take a delorme inreach satellite SMS device to talk to Iridium satellites. 2m ham is frequently dead enough that I don't even expect anyone to be listening. Maybe the ability to hit an autopatch, but it doesn't make feel feel ready to trust it in life safety in the hills.

And emergency personal beacons are cheap now too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I had unlimited data with Sprint nut it was sooooo sloooow when I was able to actually get service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So this is Verizons way of saying "go to sprint, they are not only cheaper than us, but you actually get unlimited"

No good having all that unlimited freedom when you can't get a signal on Sprint

I had unlimited data with Sprint nut it was sooooo sloooow when I was able to actually get service.

I used Sprint through Virgin Mobile until a few months ago, one of the early adopters of their unlimited WiFi when it first came out - there are no cable providers where I live, and DSL didn't become an option until only recently.  I probably averaged 2GB a month, but at times often my speed were in the 14.7 -28.8 kbps range.  Over time, their network became completely unusable.  What started out in the 350 kbps range years ago slowed to 150 kbps on very good days, and sometimes as low as 7 kbps for hours on end.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This will either backfire on them stupendously or people will suck it up and take it.

I predict much outrage and then compliance because of the excellent service.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This will either backfire on them stupendously or people will suck it up and take it.

I think he meant to say "excellent coverage"
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be understandable then.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have a General class ham license. When I'm going somewhere expected to be outside cell coverage, I take a delorme inreach satellite SMS device to talk to Iridium satellites. 2m ham is frequently dead enough that I don't even expect anyone to be listening. Maybe the ability to hit an autopatch, but it doesn't make me feel ready to trust it in life safety in the hills.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wasn't totally honest about Verizon. I've also stayed because they have the best network where I spend a lot of time and that's the hiking trails. I've been in the woods many times where I'm the only one with service. From a safety standpoint that's important. Especially when you're leading groups of people.

Slight thread detour, but I would also look into an Amatuer Radio license, honestly.

I have a General class ham license. When I'm going somewhere expected to be outside cell coverage, I take a delorme inreach satellite SMS device to talk to Iridium satellites. 2m ham is frequently dead enough that I don't even expect anyone to be listening. Maybe the ability to hit an autopatch, but it doesn't make me feel ready to trust it in life safety in the hills.

I actually have an Extra class license and I'm a former VE.

My experience is the same. Unless I'm in the mountains my HT is about useless on the trail.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Not mine it shouldn't as mine is still a grandfathered Alltel plan from before Verizon bought them out

Article

According to Droid-Life Verizon isn’t making this change for too many accounts at this time. Those with employee discounts, ECPD, CLEU and Government customers will not be affected. Nor will old plans from the Alltel days. Like the Legacy Alltel SmartChoice plan. These will not see a $20 increase on their bill, and you’ll be able to keep the truly unlimited data you’ve been enjoying for years.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 2:35:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I may look into it. It's at least another option.  Which carrier does it backbone on? Cell plans really need to come down when more and more people are buying phones out right.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Project Fi looks pretty damn interesting. I'm not a heavy user of my phone when it comes to talk time or data usage. I think I use less than 1GB per month on average. I'm frequently either at home or at work, where I have WiFi. When I rarely travel, I can use a little data tethering, but usually only a GB or two.

Fi looks damn interesting, and it'll work with the phone I want to get next (the 5X). I'd start with 1GB data, which would end up only costing me $30. Right now, I'm on AT&T on one of my friend's plans, because it's only $60 instead of the $90 I was paying before we teamed up.

I requested an invite. I may have to look into getting the 5X and get on Fi.

I may look into it. It's at least another option.  Which carrier does it backbone on? Cell plans really need to come down when more and more people are buying phones out right.  

It looks to me like it switches providers on the fly. It lets your phone choose whatever service or signal is best wherever you are at. You can also make calls over WiFi if you have decent bandwidth.

I'd like it since I could probably get by on $30/mo. Half of what I effectively spend now.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:27:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You run your house on 30 to 50GB/month? WITH streaming?

Damn. I can't remember when that last happened.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/tep0583/cm_zpscvcyuvn6.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still on unlimited, with Mobile Hotspot.

I no longer use that phone as a phone, it is my dedicated internet device.  

Living in the country gives me few options for fast internet but the cell tower is a mile away.  Speeds are awesome and we stream everything.  Usually use 30 to 50g per months.  Bill will go from $108 to $128 per month.  I get a 25% discount through work.

I run a little less data than you for my house, and Comcast is hitting me with data cap notices.  I guess so many people in the Atlanta area are switching to streaming only, Comcast is starting to cap data at 300GB/mo.  I asked about pre buying more data or what I could do to up my data cap.  Their only answer was to switch from a home internet plan to a buisness internet plan.  All internet tiers are capped to 300GB/mo.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#10]
As I was told by a Verizon rep..

"Sooner or later.. They are gonna force people out."
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I use my phone tethered to my PC for internet.

I average around 50gb a month. More if a game comes out, like when Fallout 4 drops next month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do all of you do here with your data? I have four phones tethered to 10GB data pool, and we rarely go over. At home we're always on wifi, and when we're not at home we just use it for maps, Google here and there and social media.

I use my phone tethered to my PC for internet.

I average around 50gb a month. More if a game comes out, like when Fallout 4 drops next month.

Some Verizon data monitor is going to scream on 11/10.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I run a little less data than you for my house, and Comcast is hitting me with data cap notices.  I guess so many people in the Atlanta area are switching to streaming only, Comcast is starting to cap data at 300GB/mo.  I asked about pre buying more data or what I could do to up my data cap.  Their only answer was to switch from a home internet plan to a buisness internet plan.  All internet tiers are capped to 300GB/mo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Living in the country gives me few options for fast internet but the cell tower is a mile away.  Speeds are awesome and we stream everything.  Usually use 30 to 50g per months.  Bill will go from $108 to $128 per month.  I get a 25% discount through work.

But if you stream Comcast content there are no bandwidth caps....Link

This is really getting out of hand, they're upping speeds but capping data if you buy content from other people talk about anti competitive.     If the cable companies keep this up I predict they'll eventually get busted up like Ma Bell and then you'll have pure content companies and pure ISP's.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Breach of contract, class action lawsuits, and all that...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's to stop them from saying effective X future date. Unlimited data will no longer be available. You have the choice of going to one of our other plans or losing your account.
No clue what legal terms there are in the cellular world

What contact? The contract was for two years. After that, the contract expires unless you renew it which non of the people with unlimited plans have done. Realistically, Verizon could stop honoring unlimited data plans and there wouldn't be a damn thing any of you could do
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I guess all the users out there who put on their face when talking about how they've been able to keep unlimited data are about to take it in the shorts.  I'm surprised Verizon didn't do this earlier.  My wife had the first Verizon iPhone 4, but we couldn't transfer the unlimited data because that phone didn't have a SIM card because it was pre-4G.  Therefore, we had no way to transfer service to an off-contract phone.  Oh well.
View Quote

I was expecting the price hike and will pay for it gladly.

I use 300 GB of data per month.  Download speeds average 30 mb/s. It's my home Internet connection. Verizon coverage is unmatched in our neck of the  woods,  especially with 4g.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was expecting the price hike and will pay for it gladly.

I use 300 GB of data per month.  Download speeds average 30 mb/s. It's my home Internet connection. Verizon coverage is unmatched in our neck of the  woods,  especially with 4g.
View Quote

Consider yourself lucky. Verizon throttled me to 1x constantly. It would take a couple minutes to load a page of Arfcom. I had an unlimited amount of unusable data.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I stayed with Verizon due to the network coverage and stability but something has changed and it's not just my area. In the last year I have noticed a significant decrease in coverage. Last night at my parents' house I had no signal at all. It's not my phone because the wife's phone is the same way.

Something else changed too that causes the phone to not recognize the 4g sim when out of range. If I go to the basement at work where there is no signal the phone says SIM not recognized and it won't acquire a signal when I go back up stairs. I have to reboot the phone.

I'm very close to switching to T mobile.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, pretty much fuck cumcast.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Verizon:

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Got my notification on the bill yesterday
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Got mine last Saturday. Still trying to figure out what to do. My bill is already $200/mo for two fucking lines.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Got mine last Saturday. Still trying to figure out what to do. My bill is already $200/mo for two fucking lines.
View Quote

https://ting.com/

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Got my notification on the bill yesterday
View Quote
I got a Call from Verizon's Loyalty Department last week about it..

I'm only using .5 GB on average & have never used more than 3 GB, since 2010....

On one side it would make sense to take the new plan with a new phone, too......

But, if I do, I can never go back.... I may drop the text, I don't use much & block them, too....

That will cut my Bill by $10 a month.....

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Got my notice too, with 450 plan with unlimited Data will put me at $90 a month.  the 18G plan with unlimited text and talk is $100.   I'm staying put tieh unlimited Data.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I ended up going to t-mobile
Haven't had a a many problems with them as I thought I would.  

I ended up with 4 plans 10 gb after that throttle down to a slower connection. 4 S6 withe case that added another $120 to the phone bill.   Phone total is $300 with the 4 lines on Verizon it was going up to $400.

If you had your own phones it would of been cheaper per month.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ting is at the top of my list if I abandon ship.i I need to see what other corporate discounts we get but the major carriers aren't doing much for me. My ting bill estimate is about  $70 based on current usage.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Metro PCS has recently been running ads on YouTube for $30 unlimited.

1st GB at 4G speeds. The rest, I presume, at telegraph speed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I gave up my UDP on Black Friday...

Since I got my 1st smartphone in 2010, I've never used over 3 gigs of Data & most months I'm under 1 gig..

They gave me $300 off a new Droid Turbo 2 & $200 bill credit, plus cut my monthly bill in half....

Then a couple of weeks later, I got a email offer to trade in a old smart phone for $200 more in Bill Credit...

I still had my original HTC DInc & traded it in.. To date, I got $700 to give up the UDP...

Time will tell if it was a mistake to give up the UDP.... the $20 increase & the offers they gave, made it hard to say no...

Specially with how slow the Droid Bionic I had, ran under jellybean...

Link Posted: 12/16/2015 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What contact? The contract was for two years. After that, the contract expires unless you renew it which non of the people with unlimited plans have done. Realistically, Verizon could stop honoring unlimited data plans and there wouldn't be a damn thing any of you could do
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's to stop them from saying effective X future date. Unlimited data will no longer be available. You have the choice of going to one of our other plans or losing your account.
No clue what legal terms there are in the cellular world

Sadly this.  I'm on a business plan and I'm waiting for the day that I lose mine.  It's only a matter of time...
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't know how I missed this thread.

Just got my bill and it was $20 more.  I was like wtf.

Called version and complained.   Told me too bad, so sad.    

Guess I'll just stream music 24/7 now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm sure someone else has mentioned it but ATT is also...i think it was by 5 bucks...

Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't know how I missed this thread.

Just got my bill and it was $20 more.  I was like wtf.

Called version and complained.   Told me too bad, so sad.    

Guess I'll just stream music 24/7 now.
View Quote

yea, me too. All I can say is, it's gonna cost them

[/engage tether]

vroooooom
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I have 4 unlimited phones. All phones together we use about 80 gig or so a month. Don't have access to cable internet and Sat. internet sucks. Living out in the sticks is worth every penny.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#33]
AT&T did the same thing $5 bump... not getting rid of it tho, I use it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#34]
So is AT&T

Doesn't sound like price fixing at all
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Since I got my 1st smartphone in 2010, I've never used over 3 gigs of Data & most months I'm under 1 gig..

They gave me $300 off a new Droid Turbo 2 & $200 bill credit, plus cut my monthly bill in half....

Then a couple of weeks later, I got a email offer to trade in a old smart phone for $200 more in Bill Credit...

I still had my original HTC DInc & traded it in.. To date, I got $700 to give up the UDP...

Time will tell if it was a mistake to give up the UDP.... the $20 increase & the offers they gave, made it hard to say no...

View Quote

I guess you have to ask yourself why they were so anxious to get you off an unlimited plan?  Is it because they really just want to save you money because they're nice guys or it will be better for them in the long run at your expense?
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I guess you have to ask yourself why they were so anxious to get you off an unlimited plan?  Is it because they really just want to save you money because they're nice guys or it will be better for them in the long run at your expense?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no doubt that they did for their benefit...  

On the other hand, in the last 5 years, I haven't used that much Data....

Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
AT&T did the same thing $5 bump... not getting rid of it tho, I use it.
View Quote

Yeah wtf I just re upped my 2 year ag. But my bill went down $5 as a result so I'll be paying the same.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#38]
My Verizon bill just jumped $16.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Verizon can suck a bunch of herpasyphilgoneraids infected necrotic penile warts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not mine it shouldn't as mine is still a grandfathered Alltel plan from before Verizon bought them out

Article

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Article

According to Droid-Life Verizon isn’t making this change for too many accounts at this time. Those with employee discounts, ECPD, CLEU and Government customers will not be affected. Nor will old plans from the Alltel days. Like the Legacy Alltel SmartChoice plan. These will not see a $20 increase on their bill, and you’ll be able to keep the truly unlimited data you’ve been enjoying for years.

I have an employee discount and it sure as fuck affected me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article

I have an employee discount and my bill went up also. Droid-Life is wrong.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article

Same with me.

So can anyone explain how I can turn my htc into a hotspot for my iPad?
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article

Yep. I had seen this thread a while back and been monitoring it since I also have the Verizon unlimited data grandfathered-in plan, and thought I was going to b e left alone since I also had employee discount pricing as well. They got me, and when I called to complain, tried to encourage me over to one of their structured packages, especially since I am a very low data consumer.

I let them know I would be keeping my unlimited, and ramping up my data consumption as a result...it would be nice if all us unlimited data people who did not use much data at all for years and are now getting penalized with an extra $20 a month charge can make them eat it and start using our unlimited "privileges" to the fullest. They say we (the grandfathered-in unlimited data account holders) were only 1% of their customer base, so I'm not sure it'll be enough to "hurt," but nuts to them anyway. (And for only a small 1% amount, look how many of us are popping up in this thread...seems like there are more than a few of us dinosaurs still roaming around!)
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yep. I had seen this thread a while back and been monitoring it since I also have the Verizon unlimited data grandfathered-in plan, and thought I was going to b e left alone since I also had employee discount pricing as well. They got me, and when I called to complain, tried to encourage me over to one of their structured packages, especially since I am a very low data consumer.

I let them know I would be keeping my unlimited, and ramping up my data consumption as a result...it would be nice if all us unlimited data people who did not use much data at all for years and are now getting penalized with an extra $20 a month charge can make them eat it and start using our unlimited "privileges" to the fullest. They say we (the grandfathered-in unlimited data account holders) were only 1% of their customer base, so I'm not sure it'll be enough to "hurt," but nuts to them anyway. (And for only a small 1% amount, look how many of us are popping up in this thread...seems like there are more than a few of us dinosaurs still roaming around!)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article

yea, I just terminated my Comcast home internet. Straight tether from now on. My little one man protest

FVW

FOHO
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#45]
The price is not going up, the money is worth less because of the Fed and the Obama administration.

Democrats make obscenely huge profits from inflation.

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

yea, I just terminated my Comcast home internet. Straight tether from now on. My little one man protest

FVW

FOHO
View Quote

I tether when I am on the road, and even then I use very little data. I guess I have to figure out what uses a lot data first. (Watching movies online? So I need to get a Netflix account started and dig in?)

I have no clue, clearly, or I would have been using up all my "unlimited data" properly all along!

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#47]
We were with Verizon since Alltel days. Service was amazing until the last year. Dropouts, weak signals, stalls, and the prices kept climbing. We dropped them and went to t mobile. I have an unlimited 4 g, unlimited talk, unlimited text, free music streaming, 7 gigs of hot spot, with roll over data and free 10 gigs for the wife's 3 gig plan and it's blazing fast. We were nearing $200 a month with Verizon and are at around $120 now.

I am super happy with t mobile so far.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:00:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article

My bill came out on 12/2 and it was within 3 cents of the bill from a month ago.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Awesome. Now I'll be paying $200 for two phones. Guess it's time to find a new carrier. Fuck Verizon.
View Quote

ATT sent me a nice Christmas gift also!! :

Upcoming changes to your unlimited data plan

Dear James,

We'd like to thank you for your business and share an upcoming change. Beginning February 2016, we'll be increasing the price of your unlimited data plan by $5 per month — our first increase in 7 years.

We never stop making improvements to our wireless networks and strive daily to bring our customers the best value in wireless. We have made significant improvements to our network experience — our 4G LTE network covers over 308 million people,1 and now we offer the nation's strongest LTE signal and the nation's most reliable 4G LTE network.2

You can remain on your unlimited data plan or consider one of our Mobile Share Value®3 plans that could offer great savings with unlimited talk & text, shareable data and Rollover DataSM.

If you choose to cancel your unlimited data plan and you're under a two-year service contract, we'll waive your early termination fee.4 Just cancel your unlimited data plan line(s) within 60 days after the price increase first appears on your bill. Cancellations made after that time will be subject to the usual early termination fee.

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:18:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Yep.   Just got my AT&T notice yesterday.  I don't like that AT&T won't let you use your phone as a wifi hotspot if you are on an unlimited data plan.   Guess I'll have to change plans.  I use less than 2GB data per month.   Was nice to have unlimited though "just incase."
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top