Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2015 11:42:38 AM EDT

My boy is. I blames COD and various zombie killing games

We pass a small LGS every day, and he always asks if we can stop in, so yesterday we did. I don't know if he or the 2 old fellows that run the shop enjoyed the visit more.
They told him all about guns and gun safety, and let him handle a couple that they had there including an ATI 1911 patterned .22 with a faux suppressor on it, he was like a kid in a candy store.
On the way home he asked me if we could get a mini-gun; I said no.

He and Mom chatted guns while he was getting ready for bed, last thing he said to me: "Dad, I need a BB gun."

They grow up so fast.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice OP!! Your doing it right!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

We pass a small LGS every day, and he always asks if we can stop in, so yesterday we did. I don't know if he or the 2 old fellows that run the shop enjoyed the visit more.
They told him all about guns and gun safety, and let him handle a couple that they had there including an ATI 1911 patterned .22 with a faux suppressor on it, he was like a kid in a candy store.

He and Mom chatted guns while he was getting ready for bed, last thing he said to me: "Dad, I need a BB gun."

They grow up so fast.
View Quote

At least he aimed for the fences
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#3]
what guns do you own OP? Going to take him shooting?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Teach them right and teach them young.  My son has been around guns since the day he was born.  I have hammered it into his head about gun safety.  Good job.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I was the same way

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#6]
How long will it be before your son's school contacts you?

"Little Billy has an obsession with weapons." or some such bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, Sounds like you have a great kid coming along.  Now get that boy a BB gun and start teaching him the basics, and buy him a .22 and explain that when he can show the responsibility and capability, you will start letting him shoot it also.  

My Granddaughter turns 7 next month and she loves when papa takes her to the range to shoot her Cricket
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#8]
You told your boy he couldn't get a mini-gun? You failed.

I love taking my daughter to the LGS she runs around the store asking if the guns come in pink. She's 5 and wants to build an AR.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Remove your state from your profile. The .gov, DU, and PERSEC Nazis can find you now and have proof that your son has been wanting to be a killing machine all his life. Mom and Dad did nothing but feed into his homicidal tendencies by letting him be in the same room as a gun and letting him play mass-murder-training video games.

It's all over. Shoot your dog now. Or have your son shoot your dog since that is how the news will spin it, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like your kid is a bit behind - my 7-year-old has two rifles of her own. If you ask her though, she'll tell you she has 3; I've still not managed to convince her that my Yugo underfolder isn't hers.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

If my daughter's teacher called me with some shit like that, she could suck my dick. Then again, we homeschool.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Got my first BB gun a Daisy Model 99 when I was 6. I grew up during the age when every kid had cowboy or Army guns. My safety training began with them, long before the BB gun. I was heavily supervised by my Grand Dad in a serious but subtle way. I developed the fundamentals with that rifle that carries through today. I still prefer irons.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Good on OP
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They grow up so fast.
View Quote

Snort

Don't we all wish for this...

Kids rock.  It's awesome watching a human being grow and develop.  It's truly a blessing.  

Congrats, dad.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They grow up so fast.

Ha Ha! That's what I was thinking. Your kid shot for the moon with the intent of later asking for the BB gun. One smart little dude.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

AR's and a couple handguns, I don't even have a .22 for the boys to start on.
The older boy (13) can shoot an AR, and is getting his first .22 very soon, the younger is a tad small for that, so I think an air rifle will be a good start.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#16]
LOL nice.

My dad said I was fascinated by guns from a very early age... like 2-3.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

My area of the state is the old USA, hunter safety classes at school, rural and ag area where my kids are actually behind in learning to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#18]
My son now in his early 20's was the same way at that age.  We did not play video games or zombie stuff because we felt like that would desensitize him to the real damage that a firearm can do.  Instead we made frequent trips to the range and shot a small single shot .22 rimfire for hours off the bench to begin with.  That was not enough.  By age 9 we were travelling all over America shooting .22 Rimfire Silhouette because he was just too young to do anything else.  Shooting a Service Rifle match was out of the question at that age.  We still shoot Rifle Silhouette.   You are embarking on a life-long adventure with your son.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

They grow up so fast.
View Quote

My 8yo got a cricket 22 for his 7th bday. Had a BB gun at 4.

They both reside in the same safe as dad's guns. BB gun gets shot in the backyard (safely), rifle gets shot at the range.

Crickets are only $120-$150.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The older boy (13) can shoot an AR, and is getting his first .22 very soon, the younger is a tad small for that, so I think an air rifle will be a good start.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you need to get something like a single shot cricket for him to start with.  Make him do chores to earn 22LR shells or money to buy a box.  At today's rate it will take some work on his part.
Then later for a hand gun get yourself something like a ruger mkII
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh,  I saw where you are thinking about a air rifle.  Look at the Beeman R7.  Crosman Premier Lite pellets shoot best in ours.  600 fps with that pellet.  The R7 is a quality Air Rifle that will last several lifetimes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My area of the state is the old USA, hunter safety classes at school, rural and ag area where my kids are actually behind in learning to shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow!

Question, can kids go pew pew at school?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#23]
7 is definitely BB gun time. Shooting pop cans with a Red Ryder and when I got a daisy that shot pellets for Christmas with a shitty little scope on it it was a bad ass sniper rifle compared the Red Ryder. Once safe handling and he can repeat back the 4 weapons safety rules upgrade to .22 LR. Still some of my fondest memories are shooting pop cans off the back porch with that scoped Daisy. I still have it too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They grow up so fast.
View Quote

How old is your youngest?  Mine both got their own .22 Crickets at 5 and 7.  My youngest was learning sight pictures on a 10/22 at 4.  Her first shot fired was from my suppressed HK USP tactical.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wow!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow!

I'm checking into that, just found out that the new school has the course yesterday.

When I went to school; back in the days of gun rack in your pickup's back window, we showed up with our own rifle (summer school class) and did actually shoot to pass.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
7 is definitely BB gun time. Shooting pop cans with a Red Ryder and when I got a daisy that shot pellets for Christmas with a shitty little scope on it it was a bad ass sniper rifle compared the Red Ryder. Once safe handling and he can repeat back the 4 weapons safety rules upgrade to .22 LR. Still some of my fondest memories are shooting pop cans off the back porch with that scoped Daisy. I still have it too.
View Quote

I agree, and there's really two ways to go with it.

If you go full-on plinker, just get an airsoft.  Cheaper, full auto, ammo is everywhere, and it just takes battery power and a few drops of lube every once in a while.  Get something decent.  Look for "full metal" and "Lipo ready."  A full metal body is still going to be cheaper aluminum alloy (3k series, and likely cast), but it'll be more durable than plastic.  A "Lipo ready" gun refers to a gearbox with metal gears that can handle the higher stresses involved with running a higher voltage lithium battery.  You don't need to get a lithium battery, and it fires just the same if you don't, but the more robust gearbox will last a lot, lot longer.  Something like this.

True, the fun of airsoft wears off pretty quickly unless you're shooting at other people, but it gives you everything you need to teach gun safety, handling, etc. and you don't have to worry about any injuries so long as you always wear eyepro (seriously, ALWAYS wear eyepro for any shooting, period).  Airsoft is not terribly useful for teaching marksmanship, though.  

Which is the other way - getting him something suitably accurate to teach real shooting on.  The Daisy 953 is pretty much the champion here.  You can actually shoot 10m air rifle with it, though it's not quite as accurate as it needs to be for serious competition.  But that's fine.  The important thing is it's more than good enough to learn on.  Without a suitably good rifle, you can't learn to call your shots because you don't have reliable feedback.  The Daisy gives you that, and so you can learn marksmanship fundamentals with it.  Again, gun safety, wear eyepro, etc. with this as well.  But you can't "plink" with a pellet rifle quite as easily both because of the rate of fire and the need for a good backstop.  A pellet rifle will kill the shit out of small animals, break windows, go into people, etc. and so you can't just shoot it (almost) anywhere like you can with the airsoft gun.  You should consider a pellet trap that holds air rifle targets and just shoot it at the correct distance of 10 meters.  Learn the sport.

Of course, you could always just get both.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I blame COD and Battlefield too.

I have a friend who is a Class III Manufactor and when we go to visit the shop he opens the safes and begins to hand out weaponry and my son (13) goes nuts. The Last time we visited he handed my son a Vector. My son crapped his pants and knew exactly what it was as soon as it cleared the safe door.

I get the Dad, we need a SCAR. Dad we need supressors. Dad we need a Reaper.

We got him a BB gun @ 6 yo, but he had been firing 22s a year prior. I've raised all the kids on guns early. By 7 they were proficient on the 22 rifle. My son currently shoots my 44mag better than me. When he was in the 3rd grade he had already fired a variety of suppressed weapons, so much so his freinds were calling him a liar until he produced some videos. I know a ton of people who hadn't even seen a suppressor IRL much less shot one. We get to visit a business where they make them right in front of us.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I did it a little backwards. I taught my son to shoot with a 22lr Chipmunk. After he learnned  safety and shooting I got him a Red-Ryder to shoot around the house.  Airsoft kinda messed that up
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Good job OP.  Mine were shooting at 6 with their own BB guns.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

My son now in his early 20's was the same way at that age.  We did not play video games or zombie stuff because we felt like that would desensitize him to the real damage that a firearm can do.  Instead we made frequent trips to the range and shot a small single shot .22 rimfire for hours off the bench to begin with.  That was not enough.  By age 9 we were travelling all over America shooting .22 Rimfire Silhouette because he was just too young to do anything else.  Shooting a Service Rifle match was out of the question at that age.  We still shoot Rifle Silhouette.   You are embarking on a life-long adventure with your son.  Enjoy.
View Quote

This part in red. I'm not a fan of fps games for the kids and as such my boys are not allowed to play them ( 6 & 9yo) but we do paintball with the 9yo and range time with both boys. I have played fps games since my 20's but I don't think they're particularly mentally healthy for the under 15 crowd. just my $.02.

edit: But different strokes for different folks and I'm glad to hear there is yet another pro-gun family teaching and engaging with their kids at an early age.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They grow up so fast.
View Quote

savage rascal is what you will be seeking very soon. i have messed with every version of "child gun" this is where it is at. i paid $175ish out the door for all of mine. they are the same length as my 10.5" sbr ar, they weight about 2 pounds, and have the accutrigger. if you like lightweight laser accurate single shot 22s than buy 2 of them so you can both shoot together. then prepare to spend about $200 more dollars on a combo of egw, williams, and lyman for pic rail to mount the rear peep site and a big ol globe site for the front. your welcome.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Edit: nvr mind...i went off topic.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

savage rascal is what you will be seeking very soon. i have messed with every version of "child gun" this is where it is at. i paid $175ish out the door for all of mine. they are the same length as my 10.5" sbr ar, they weight about 2 pounds, and have the accutrigger. if you like lightweight laser accurate single shot 22s than buy 2 of them so you can both shoot together. then prepare to spend about $200 more dollars on a combo of egw, williams, and lyman for pic rail to mount the rear peep site and a big ol globe site for the front. your welcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They grow up so fast.

Hell, I wouldn't mind having one of those myself... with a suppressor.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#35]
If you are looking to start him off, a Remington Fieldmaster 597 is a great starter.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#36]
From a guy that plays COD..... You let a 7 year old play COD?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They grow up so fast.
View Quote

I think 7 is too young for COD and zombie killing video games.  My opinion is worth what you paid for it

Sounds like a normal young boy interest in guns
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

my 5 years day care had to have a talk with me about my son playing with guns at school.  I asked where the gun was, and she said it was a stick he was using as a gun.
I said soooo, he was playing with a stick?  
she says no, he was playing with a gun and we have a zero gun policy.
I asked if the stick was capable of firing projectiles

long story short she doesn't even look at me anymore when I drop the kids off,  and he still plays with sticks
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This part in red. I'm not a fan of fps games for the kids and as such my boys are not allowed to play them ( 6 & 9yo) but we do paintball with the 9yo and range time with both boys. I have played fps games since my 20's but I don't think they're particularly mentally healthy for the under 15 crowd. just my $.02.

edit: But different strokes for different folks and I'm glad to hear there is yet another pro-gun family teaching and engaging with their kids at an early age.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with you on this, I think for the 7 yr old the FPS has "desensitized" him to the realities, which  is why I don't want to start him with a .22 right off. Once he shows that he's ready, then we'll move him up.
The 13 yr old has been hunting, plinking, and target shooting, and has show the right maturity with regards to respect and safety; he wants his own instead of using mine or Grandpa's and has asked specifically for a .22.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#40]
The way I see it, if a boy isn't obsessed with guns something is not right.  Our duty as responsible fathers is to make firearms a part of everyday life to eliminate the novelty of being around them.  This, coupled with instilling a very firm sense of safety and respect for firearms produces sensible men and another generation of responsible fathers.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I had my boys shooting ARs at 4 years old.  Obviously I kept a hand on the forearm and stock at all times.  

Before that I bought a 75 dollar bolt action 22 and cut the stock down.   All my kids have been shooting since they were 3 years old.  

Frankly I'm not a big fan of any kids being obsessed with guns.   My kids see guns as another tool for hunting, defense, competition and recreation.  The rule has always been that if they want to check out the guns in the safe or go shooting, all they have to do is ask.  Each time they must quote the rules of gun safety.  Every once in a while I'll ask them to describe further what the rules mean.

As a result, I think I've set them up to never have an accident.   My kids love guns but they aren't obsessed by them.   In fact it's not uncommon for them to come through the house with friends and I'll be working on a 3 thousand dollar AR.  The friend from the neighborhood will be almost unable to walk because they are so infatuated with the gun.   My kid won't give it a second glance.   I still keep all guns locked up but I feel confident my kids would not have a ND or even touch the gun when I'm not there.

it's a travesty of this country that some kids get raised with fear or infatuation with guns.  

My kids are bigger.  If you would like I'll ship you this cut down 22 i have, if you can't get a hold of one around your area.   Iron sights and bolt action.   I'm an FFL so easy to ship.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#42]
My son is 5 and has been shooting for 2 years already. He started with a Crickett but this suppressed Ruger .22 is his favorite to shoot these days.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They grow up so fast.
View Quote

you let your 7 year old play call of duty and zombie killing games?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I think 7 is too young for COD and zombie killing video games.  My opinion is worth what you paid for it

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They grow up so fast.

He was playing Minecraft when I left the room

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

"That's because at age seven, he's already more of a FUCKING MAN than you'll ever be, you limp-wristed, timid, beta, emo, pussy-whipped, pajama boy!"  

or

"Thank you for your concern, but we have the situation under control."

Whichever floats your boat.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
From a guy that plays COD..... You let a 7 year old play COD?
View Quote

I was playing quake and duke nukem at 7 with my dad
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They grow up so fast.

My four year old and I draw zombie pictures and tape them up around the house for sweet room clearing action, then take them out to the range to use as targets for her pink savage rascal.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I'm with you on this, I think for the 7 yr old the FPS has "desensitized" him to the realities, which  is why I don't want to start him with a .22 right off. Once he shows that he's ready, then we'll move him up.

The 13 yr old has been hunting, plinking, and target shooting, and has show the right maturity with regards to respect and safety; he wants his own instead of using mine or Grandpa's and has asked specifically for a .22.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A good many of my boy's friends, and for sure all of their older boy cousins, play fps games and for the most part he thought he was missing out on something, but after range instruction and time and then paintball he has begun to show an indifference to gun games as time goes by. The last time we were at my brothers house my 9yo was dorking it up telling his older cousins how unrealistic the game they were playing (COD) was because you wouldn't run that much if you had people trying to hit you. I credit that to paintball; they learn fast when pain is involved.

My 9yo desperately wants a Tapco fde stocked 10/22. Maybe Santa.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

my 5 years day care had to have a talk with me about my son playing with guns at school.  I asked where the gun was, and she said it was a stick he was using as a gun.

long story short she doesn't even look at me anymore when I drop the kids off,  and he still plays with sticks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got an email from grandma after my daughter grabbed a pool noodle at target, threw it over her shoulder and yelled "fire in the hole! BOOM"

Apparently crawling around shooting roman candles and bottle rockets out of my AT4 tube went to her head
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I got an email from grandma after my daughter grabbed a pool noodle at target, threw it over her shoulder and yelled "fire in the hole! BOOM"

Apparently crawling around shooting roman candles and bottle rockets out of my AT4 tube went to her head
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hahahaha
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top