BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was told by a US Marshall here in GA that I can drive 10 over legally. 11 over, ticket.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GSP's generally go everywhere at least 10-15 mph over the limit.

I thought everyone around here did that.

I was told by a US Marshall here in GA that I can drive 10 over legally. 11 over, ticket.

Generally, I think that's correct. However, that doesn't apply for school zones. I think there may be other exceptions.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Vehicular Homicide ?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, sad story.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bunch of cop hating  dopers in here.
View Quote

Classy, as always.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

US Marshals don't enforce GA Law.  In fact, US Marshals rarely enforce any laws.  The mostly execute orders of the court and warrants.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A lot of you are forgetting that the other driver turned left in front of him.  And the two females who died were not wearing seatbelts.  I'm not saying the trooper is innocent, and his speed is a contributing factor in the severity of the accident, but he's not totally at fault.

ETA: I've worked accidents where I cited the at fault driver for failure to yield while turning left.  When one took it to court and argued that the oncoming car was speeding the judge said he didn't care if they were going 300mph and doing cartwheels, you still have to yield before you can make a left turn.
View Quote

I have worked incidents here, in the Atlanta metro area, with these guys for over 25 years. Have met some great GSP personnel.

Incidents happen and the wrong place, wrong time coincidence sometimes has tragic results. My heart goes out to all involved, along with the families, friends and coworkers who are left to put pieces back together.

The Trooper will live with this tragedy daily, just as the family and friends losing their love ones.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Vehicular Homicide ?
View Quote

2 counts.  Any other person would do some time in prison  but I am certain the GBI will keep his sorry ass out of jail.  At least he will never own anything again.  And for those who feel sorry for that trooper, fuck that guy he knew better, he had been disciplined twice and finally killed two girls.  He belongs in prison and I hope the lawsuit bankrupts him and devestates the GSP.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, because 'closing distances" and the time to complete the turn aren't different when the oncoming car is going a lot faster than the speed limit.

I have plenty of time to get out of my neighborhood on to the main road when I can't see a car coming, but it is close when I can see them, so I don't pullout when a car is visible. Don't think I haven't considered what would happen if some jackass topped the hill at 90mph after I already decided to pull out or turn in for that matter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of you are forgetting that the other driver turned left in front of him.  And the two females who died were not wearing seatbelts.  I'm not saying the trooper is innocent, and his speed is a contributing factor in the severity of the accident, but he's not totally at fault.

ETA: I've worked accidents where I cited the at fault driver for failure to yield while turning left.  When one took it to court and argued that the oncoming car was speeding the judge said he didn't care if they were going 300mph and doing cartwheels, you still have to yield before you can make a left turn.

Yeah, because 'closing distances" and the time to complete the turn aren't different when the oncoming car is going a lot faster than the speed limit.

I have plenty of time to get out of my neighborhood on to the main road when I can't see a car coming, but it is close when I can see them, so I don't pullout when a car is visible. Don't think I haven't considered what would happen if some jackass topped the hill at 90mph after I already decided to pull out or turn in for that matter.

And if they completed the turn, and were going 65 miles an hour, how long did that take ? 4 - 6 seconds ?? Why
didn't officer dipshit have time to see them / avoid them ?  It wasn't like they pulled right in front of him.

And officer dipshit didn't have 3 accidents.  It was 3 accidents involving "misjudged clearance" since 2011.  Officer
dipshit could have had 12 total accidents in that time period.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Fired?

Why the Hell wasn't he charged?

Hmm, failure to yield.....

It's very difficult for the average person to judge excessive speed by headlights at night, much less a young, inexperienced driver that has maybe a year of driving.....

Bad situation.

ETA:

35+ OVER?
90+ in a 55?

If you say right of way yields to going nearly twice the legal limit (on a road that likely didn't provide sightlines for someone going 90), you're an idiot.

Expecting someone to compensate for that situation by yielding right of way is ridiculous.
He may not have even been visible when they committed to turn.

In most places if you or I got pulled for 90 in a 55 we'd be taking a ride.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

We don't hate cops sartin, we just hate you !    

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Charges?
View Quote

No shit
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Police work isn't pretty. It can't  fit your quaint notions of poliety.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tragic story, those were some gorgeous girls who never got a chance

"he wasn't responding to a work call."    

RIF      

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Location of the crash. Trooper was headed north and the car turned in front of it attempting to turn onto Holly Springs Road.

The trooper was coming around the curve at 90mph. It could be fairly easy to misjudge speed, especially at night on a curve, and think you have plenty of time to turn when you aren't expecting someone to be going 35mph faster than they are supposed to be going. The closing distance is nearly half what it should be.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

RIF      

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIF      

like moths to a flame
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

like moths to a flame
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIF      

like moths to a flame

How many has he gotten so far in this thread?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Marshall's don't have ticket books, just saying.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#17]
It's his third car crash involving "misjudged clearance," Perry said.

If I have two accidents deemed "at fault" I'm terminated.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not totally true. If it is a GSP trooper, he can cite you for 1 mph over anywhere at anytime. If it is a city or local sheriff's dept, they have a 10 mph buffer, but there ARE exceptions, like school zones, residential areas, etc where even they they can cite you for 1 mph over!

My Son-In-Law is a GSP trooper, but 90+ mph in a 55 and no call is WAY out of line. I am sure it was a major factor in the misjudgment of the boy turning.

Charges will be coming, I will bet.....

About 1 month ago, I was mowing the right of way in front of my drive so we could see to pull out (The state sprays, and it doesn't do shit!) I was right along the edge mowing when a trooper came by me doing like 100! Scared the hell out of me. It was a divided 4 lane, I was in the median, and he was passing a car. I am betting there was less than 2 feet between his car and my tractor. No siren or lights at all!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Location of the crash. Trooper was headed north and the car turned in front of it attempting to turn onto Holly Springs Road.

The trooper was coming around the curve at 90mph. It could be fairly easy to misjudge speed, especially at night on a curve, and think you have plenty of time to turn when you aren't expecting someone to be going 35mph faster than they are supposed to be going. The closing distance is nearly half what it should be.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/673/21305887573_fc738179b0_h.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/766/21900868236_53edb05d59_b.jpg
View Quote

Your description and the news article seem to contradict each other.

If the kids made turned in front of the trooper, then I think the majority of fault is on them.

If they pulled out on the highway in front of him and he rear-ended the car, then the majority of negligence is on the trooper.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Bunch a fuckin asshats
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

NO!  It is criminal hate. When he decided to ignore the law he became a criminal FUCK HIM!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO!  It is criminal hate. When he decided to ignore the law he became a criminal FUCK HIM!

How long before the next thread saying speed limits are bullshit laws and set arbitrarily low to generate revenue?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If the kids made turned in front of the trooper, then I think the majority of fault is on them.

If they pulled out on the highway in front of him and he rear-ended the car, then the majority of negligence is on the trooper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe they pulled out onto the highway from hollyspring road?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They aren't forgetting, they're ignoring
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren't forgetting, they're ignoring

Yep. Breaking the law can be risky.  Good crash.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ok, does that give the an excuse to break the law? Fuck no, dude maybe a brother but he needs to be hung out to dry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, does that give the an excuse to break the law? Fuck no, dude maybe a brother but he needs to be hung out to dry.

It's  either this or "smile and wave".

Pick one, dear neckbeard
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those girls shouldn't  have done the crime if they didn't  want to do the time.

Prolly going to score some molly anways.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Classy, as always.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Classy, as always.

You must have failed the civil service exam.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what kind of criminal record you got? You seem really upset at the police
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not really sure where thats coming from. All the local news articles state that they were hit in the rear passenger side as they turned onto Holly Springs Road.

Maybe some national journalists were confusing "hit in the rear" to "rear ended".

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm not really sure where thats coming from. All the local news articles state that they were hit in the rear passenger side as they turned onto Holly Springs Road.

Maybe some national journalists were confusing "hit in the rear" to "rear ended".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the link in the oP

They pulled onto Highway 27 in front of the state trooper, who crashed into the back of the teen-packed sedan, police said
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Speed limits are for proles. Just like laws about not looking at phones or computers while driving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

GSP... God's Special People.... Not going to group them all in the same category... however, lots don't bother with speed limits...

Speed limits are for proles. Just like laws about not looking at phones or computers while driving.
GA LEOs are also exempt from texting while driving too.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

From the link in the oP

View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the link in the oP

They pulled onto Highway 27 in front of the state trooper, who crashed into the back of the teen-packed sedan, police said

The crash occurred at 11:35 p.m. Saturday as the teens’ 2005 Nissan Sentra was travelling south on U.S. Highway 27 near Bremen in Carroll County. The trooper, identified as Anthony J. Scott, was travelling north on U.S. 27 in a 20144 Dodge Charger patrol car when the teen’s vehicle turned in front of him and he struck the right side of the Nissan as it tried to turn onto Holly Springs Road.

AJC 6 days ago

Trooper Anthony J. Scott, 26, was northbound on U.S. 27 in Carroll County late Saturday night and had slowed to 68 mph when he struck a 2005 Nissan Sentra attempting a left turn onto Holly Springs Road, investigators said. The posted speed limit in the area is 55 mph.

AJC yesterday
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the link in the oP

The crash occurred at 11:35 p.m. Saturday as the teens’ 2005 Nissan Sentra was travelling south on U.S. Highway 27 near Bremen in Carroll County. The trooper, identified as Anthony J. Scott, was travelling north on U.S. 27 in a 20144 Dodge Charger patrol car when the teen’s vehicle turned in front of him and he struck the right side of the Nissan as it tried to turn onto Holly Springs Road.

AJC 6 days ago

Trooper Anthony J. Scott, 26, was northbound on U.S. 27 in Carroll County late Saturday night and had slowed to 68 mph when he struck a 2005 Nissan Sentra attempting a left turn onto Holly Springs Road, investigators said. The posted speed limit in the area is 55 mph.

AJC yesterday

What the shit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
FPNI. What would happen if anyone else did that?
View Quote

Depends on circumstances. Usually, if the only aggravating circumstance was the high speed, they'd catch a reckless driving charge and then get hit with the civil stuff (no intent to cause the death). Additional aggravating circumstances, it could go as high as an involuntary manslaughter charge, or Felony DUI if that was the circumstance. I've seen them go both ways.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sad, he should get time or sued. Complete irresponsibility on his behalf.
View Quote

Oh, he'll get sued. Investigation and firing is just the beginning, and part of due process. After that, he gets the charging and the civil stuff.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:50:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only applies to city and county LEOs.
GSP is exempt from that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
He should be charged for murder (no reason for him driving 90mph), sent to prison and placed in gen pop.
View Quote

Wow. You don't know a damn thing about how the legal system works, or the laws. Let me guess, if it was your son who caused the accident, you'd want him charged with murder as well?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That judge is a loon.  At least you set it up by citing the drivers for something the human body isn't good at doing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That judge is a loon.  At least you set it up by citing the drivers for something the human body isn't good at doing.  

Actually, the judge was right and YOU are the loon. If you turn left, you are responsible for yielding right-of-way to oncoming traffic, regardless of HOW fast they're going. LAW. LEARN IT.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GSP... God's Special People.... Not going to group them all in the same category... however, lots don't bother with speed limits...

ahh, yes.  The Legal Exclusion Principal.

"I get to break the law, no matter how big OR small, because I have to enforce the law"
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Actually, the judge was right and YOU are the loon. If you turn left, you are responsible for yielding right-of-way to oncoming traffic, regardless of HOW fast they're going. LAW. LEARN IT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blind curve.
Low visibility.
Line of sight.
Physics, real world practical application.
Learn it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Two wrongs don't make two live girls.

10 over in GA ain't no thang.

And the drivers here are nearly the worst I've ever seen anywhere in the US.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How long before the next thread saying speed limits are bullshit laws and set arbitrarily low to generate revenue?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A ticket for 50 something in a 40 is a bullshit ticket. 90 in a 45 or whatever he was doing is negligence and he deserves every charge he has coming to him. Quit trying to stick up for him. Grow some intergrity JFC
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:43:25 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
"At least"

Most people cap out at around 10 over. I routinely get passed in 55's by troopers going 70-75.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"At least"

Most people cap out at around 10 over. I routinely get passed in 55's by troopers going 70-75.

Well, when the state laws make it effectively legal to go 10 over (except in school, residential, or construction zones) and don't even establish a fine until 15 over, yeah, most folks who know that go ahead and go 10 over.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well, when the state laws make it effectively legal to go 10 over (except in school, residential, or construction zones) and don't even establish a fine until 15 over, yeah, most folks who know that go ahead and go 10 over.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"At least"

I'm not sure where you are going with this.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Only applies to city and county LEOs.GSP is exempt from that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only applies to city and county LEOs.GSP is exempt from that.

However, GSP has publicly stated that they won't enforce for less than 10 over unless there are other circumstances justifying doing so.  In addition, there is no specified  fine in the law for speeding less than 15mph over the limit, so I've had a local attorney challenge me to find a case where the cops cited someone for less than 15 over.  What makes it fun is that Super Speeder kicks in at 85mph, no matter what the speed limit is... So 15 over in a 70mph zone...

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:52:08 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"At least"

Explanation of why most non-LEO drivers in Georgia drive 8-10 over.  Well, until you get to Atlanta, then it's 75-80mph on the interstates no matter what the speed limit claims ;-)  (there's a reason Georgia DOT quit reporting actual average speed of cars passing their cameras, they were embarrassed by the stretches of I-285, with a 55mph limit, where the AVERAGE speed was over 70mph.  Of course, now they have variable speed limit signs in those areas which are usually set to 65mph now...)

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:16:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the link in the oP

AJC 6 days ago

AJC yesterday

In that case, the majority of the fault is on the teen making the turn.  The officer has some negligence, but if I remember correctly GA is modified comparative.  The girls parents should be suing the kid who was driving the car with their daughters in it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Maybe read the article?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI. What would happen if anyone else did that?

Maybe read the article?

LOL

" />
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:22:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread is the magnum opus of your troll career.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:33:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What no screen name jokes when it is a cop who does something criminal?
View Quote

It was an accident, let it go.  Hate cops do you?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:22:31 AM EDT
[#50]
He was fired, so he lost QI.  I have no doubt a civil suit is in his near future.

Now we will see what, if anything, he is charged with.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top