Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Got to have a lot of steel to survive that 30K Gs of acceleration and side slap when the round hits the forcing cone
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rockets are more effective than cannons for the delivery of effects on target
View Quote

The ability to carry 160 rockets is nothing to scoff at.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]

That tail art is awesome
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#4]

This one and another Su-25 and two Mig 21's where pounced on by two F15's while beating feet to Iran ------- they didn't make it...

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:13:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Iraqi_Su-25_-_Gulf_War_1991.jpg

This one and another Su-25 and two Mig 21's where pounced on by two F15's while beating feet to Iran ------- they didn't make it...

View Quote

Were Iraqs flying it by chance?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Iraqi_Su-25_-_Gulf_War_1991.jpg

they flew them until 2003, Apparently the new Govt just put in an order for replacements.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

they flew them until 2003, Apparently the new Govt just put in an order for replacements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean at the time it went down. I'm thinking the Iraq army isn't the best bunch of guys to showcase millitary hardware.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#8]

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d77_1443917121

SU-25 in Syria pass at low altitude
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:06:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ha, I figured a 105 had a bit more punch
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
2.75" FFAR are not that powerful. 10lb or 17lb warheads. The 5" Zuni is the fun one.

10 pounders have 1 Kg  and 17 pounders have 2 Kgs of Comp B in each round, only a little less than a 105mm HE round

Eh, what sort of frag casing is used? Initial confinement of the explosives does contribute significantly to the over all effects (as I recall there are a couple explosives that can not detonate without confinement).
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Grach stronk!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I haven't waded through all the comments so forgive me if this has been stated.

During the trials for which plane would become the A-10, some other company had submitted a plane in the competition that oddly resembles the Frogfoot.

In fact, when I saw it was the Soviet Unions proposed new plane for ground support, I said to myself "did someone sell the design to the Russians?"
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:36:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I haven't waded through all the comments so forgive me if this has been stated.
During the trials for which plane would become the A-10, some other company had submitted a plane in the competition that oddly resembles the Frogfoot.
In fact, when I saw it was the Soviet Unions proposed new plane for ground support, I said to myself "did someone sell the design to the Russians?"
View Quote
The Russians had a massive industrial espionage program during the Cold War.  They had our plans for everything.  You might see a resemblance between the Concorde and the Tu-144, the B-1b and the Tu-160. It's not a coincidence.  They even had the plans for the Space Shuttle.

There was a movie about this.  A KGB colonel decided to turn and exposed it, I think it was a French movie.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:39:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I would really like to see what an A-10 with modernized gun pods under the wings could do.
View Quote
The internal gun is about the baddest thing ever made. How would wing mount pods provide any advance?

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The internal gun is about the baddest thing ever made. How would wing mount pods provide any advance?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would really like to see what an A-10 with modernized gun pods under the wings could do.

Oh, I dunno, some people might find being able to aim and shoot without using the whole plane to to so might be a perk, as well as using  a more appropriate AP round that you can hold more of.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:04:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Oh, I dunno, some people might find being able to aim and shoot without using the whole plane to to so might be a perk, as well as using  a more appropriate AP round that you can hold more of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You still have to use the aircraft to aim wing pod cannons. All you  would get in another  1000 rounds  of ammo. Rockets  or cluster bombs would be more  effective imo on troops. Plus you can pickle them all off on one pass limiting your exposure over target.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Russian HUD looks funky.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
2.75" FFAR are not that powerful. 10lb or 17lb warheads. The 5" Zuni is the fun one.

10 pounders have 1 Kg  and 17 pounders have 2 Kgs of Comp B in each round, only a little less than a 105mm HE round

they don't.

which is why with the 120 out there, 105 has lost some of its appeal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You still have to use the aircraft to aim wing pod cannons. All you  would get in another  1000 rounds  of ammo. Rockets  or cluster bombs would be more  effective imo on troops. Plus you can pickle them all off on one pass limiting your exposure over target.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm assuming any modern pod developed to enhance the A10 would be steerable.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Russian HUD looks funky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russian HUD looks funky.

I like the older Garmin and antenna stuck to the windscreen on the right.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Russian HUD looks funky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russian HUD looks funky.

Im pretty sure its just a gunsight
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#22]

The Czechs hated the fucking Russians...
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

God damn, look at the lines and lines of rivets.  Make that bird smooth, it would probably go 100 knots faster...

So many structural members it must be nearly solid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

God damn, look at the lines and lines of rivets.  Make that bird smooth, it would probably go 100 knots faster...

Parasitic drag most Russian birds do just fine with it.  

We like to poo poo the old Soviet stuff but we have become the Germans fewer than necessary numbers of quality components. It's not how we won WWII.    Show me a US made jet that can take off a dirt road.  The older Soviet jets could.  We need to push for more of a middle ground, somewhere between the Soviets and where we are now.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We like to poo poo the old Soviet stuff but we have become the Germans fewer than necessary numbers of quality components. It's not how we won WWII.    Show me a US made jet that can take off a dirt road.  The older Soviet jets could.  We need to push for more of a middle ground, somewhere between the Soviets and where we are now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least we can sustain our fancy stuff. We try to push that stuff on other countries that never will. Now that's just stupid.

People need reliable old jeeps and we insist on corvettes. Which of course necessitates roads and road maintenance, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wasnt the A-10 supposed to be rough-field capable??  Even Western Euro designs like the Jaguar were made to be used from improvised firlds....not to mention Convenient 8K foot straight sections of Autobahn....
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

At least we can sustain our fancy stuff. We try to push that stuff on other countries that never will. Now that's just stupid.

People need reliable old jeeps and we insist on corvettes. Which of course necessitates roads and road maintenance, etc. etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong I worked on Hornets when they were fairly new in the fleet, and love the F16.  The new birds being designed are nice, but not rugged by any stretch of the imagination.  The old Soviet stuff was rugged.  As an example we used potentiometer for throttle control, the soviets used an open rheostat system, think the old model Railroad controls.  There system goes bad you clean carbon off and its flying.  Ours required a new component.  IIRC the SU 27 had the flaps closing the lower intake opening an intake over the wings.  They literally could take off a dirt road with rocks all over.  I cannot imagine any US bird able to do that.  There is nothing wrong with wanting advanced, but if it cannot run in harsh environments its worthless.  We don't get to choose where we operate.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong I worked on Hornets when they were fairly new in the fleet, and love the F16.  The new birds being designed are nice, but not rugged by any stretch of the imagination.  The old Soviet stuff was rugged.  As an example we used potentiometer for throttle control, the soviets used an open rheostat system, think the old model Railroad controls.  There system goes bad you clean carbon off and its flying.  Ours required a new component.  IIRC the SU 27 had the flaps closing the lower intake opening an intake over the wings.  They literally could take off a dirt road with rocks all over.  I cannot imagine any US bird able to do that.  There is nothing wrong with wanting advanced, but if it cannot run in harsh environments its worthless.  We don't get to choose where we operate.
View Quote

They also have a little dingus that flips down over the nosewheel to catch rocks kicked up....simple. mechanical
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Back in the day I watched a squadron of AV-8B II+ Harriers operate off of a two-lane road on Camp Lejune. Its not exactly a dirt strip, or a grassy field, but its not an airfield either. So we have not completely abandoned that particular capability...yet.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I mean at the time it went down. I'm thinking the Iraq army isn't the best bunch of guys to showcase millitary hardware.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Izzy's knocked the yard dog shit out of the Russians when the Russians flew for Egypt.  The Izzy's were US trained and flying US aircraft.  Not SU 25's, but you get the point.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Izzy's knocked the yard dog shit out of the Russians when the Russians flew for Egypt.  The Izzy's were US trained and flying US aircraft.  Not SU 25's, but you get the point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now imagine if it was Iraqis flying them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

All Russian airplanes are designed to operate from unimproved fields in poor condition.  I have a photo of the Tu-144 during trials with mud and snow spraying huge rooster tails.

Note the comparatively large size of the tires on Russian airplanes, for the same reason.

The Russians planned to operated from cul de sacs along the highways to avoid making too many airplanes vulnerable by clustering at large air bases.  I wonder if they still follow that philosophy in this day of precision guided weapons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All Russian airplanes are designed to operate from unimproved fields in poor condition.  I have a photo of the Tu-144 during trials with mud and snow spraying huge rooster tails.

Note the comparatively large size of the tires on Russian airplanes, for the same reason.

The Russians planned to operated from cul de sacs along the highways to avoid making too many airplanes vulnerable by clustering at large air bases.  I wonder if they still follow that philosophy in this day of precision guided weapons.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Don't forget the front wheel spats...

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#34]
The USAF received 6 solicited designs for the AX project.

Boeing Vertol
Cessna
Fairchild-Hiller / Republic
General Dynamics / Convair
Lockheed
Northrop

Two other companies had unsolicited designs.
McDonnell Douglas
Grumman

The A-10 was almost derailed by Congress as they forced the A-10 into a fly-off with the USAF's A-7D.

http://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/crgis/images/7/75/1967_Ray_&_Phillips_Close_Air_Support_(A-X)_Airplane_Model.pdf
General Dynamics / Convair proposal

http://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/crgis/images/0/0a/1967_Lockwood_&Philllips_Close_Air_Support_(A-X)_Airplane_Model.pdf
McDonnell Douglas proposal
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Russians shipped a squadron of Su-24s for medium-ish altitude strike missions, and one of Su-25s for when they have to fly low. If you have to fly in to manpads range you want a Su-25. That's a big difference with the west right there, the USAF doesn't think that it needs to fly low anymore so from that perspective an armored ground attack aircraft isn't that useful.

You could write a book on comparing the Su-25 versus the A-10 but the fact is that the Su-25 is still in production while the A-10 will soon be in museums.
View Quote

Not to mention, it's also worth considering whose political leadership is actually willing to use their aircraft.   The best ground attack plane ever made is useless if you have some feckless leader like our Dumbass in Chief.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The Russians shipped a squadron of Su-24s for medium-ish altitude strike missions, and one of Su-25s for when they have to fly low. If you have to fly in to manpads range you want a Su-25. That's a big difference with the west right there, the USAF doesn't think that it needs to fly low anymore so from that perspective an armored ground attack aircraft isn't that useful.

You could write a book on comparing the Su-25 versus the A-10 but the fact is that the Su-25 is still in production while the A-10 will soon be in museums.
View Quote

Fly any aircraft in the MANPAD zone is not a plan for success; whether it is an A10 or a SU25
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No shit, since modern MANPADS are almost undefeatable in their WEZ.
View Quote

Are they that good, or just not enough time to defeat?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes -------------------------- Gulf War 1991...

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that what's left of the pilot to the right?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#42]

What I was thinking.

We may have done it better, but they did it first
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No shit, since modern MANPADS are almost undefeatable in their WEZ.

You don't know they are there until they have fired.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top