BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Uh, Taylor Swift is worth interstellar travel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the only thing of real value we could have that a species capable of interstellar travel would want would be the Earth.

Uh, Taylor Swift is worth interstellar travel.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I like cartoons.

http://youtu.be/sNhhvQGsMEc
View Quote

The problem I have with the Fermi "Paradox," is that it is only a paradox to people who do not understand SNR or scale.

In the video and in the paradox itself there is an incredibly huge, completely untenable, assumption. That if there is other civilization, we would have seen them. Point blank, thats batshit insane talk.

aka There could be an incredibly advanced civilization, literally next door to us in the Alpha Centauri system, and we simply dont have the technological ability to detect it yet.

The paradox is the same as a blind man saying "since I cant read a book on the other side of the world, no books exist anywhere." The fermi paradox itself is founded on a fallacy.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thank you Stephen.  Can't wait until next year when you tells us that giant monsters coming through an extra dimensional rift in the ocean's crust are a threat and we should build giant robots now to fight them.
View Quote

I know, right?  I figured it was this or the Prawn nomads' ship breaks down over South Africa and they eat all of our cat food.

Wish this guy would just share his Netflix sci-fi queue so we know what alien invasion to expect next.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#4]
If they don't come soon liberals will have disarmed the entire world and once the aliens get here they will become so annoyed at the whining liberal women and men who are less than women they will either nuke the entire rock into a cinder or flee hysterically
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The problem I have with the Fermi "Paradox," is that it is only a paradox to people who do not understand SNR or scale.

In the video and in the paradox itself there is an incredibly huge, completely untenable, assumption. That if there is other civilization, we would have seen them. Point blank, thats batshit insane talk.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/0/6/4/064f990fe46302fb441b2815863c1644.png   aka There could be an incredibly advanced civilization, literally next door to us in the Alpha Centauri system, and we simply dont have the technological ability to detect it yet.

The paradox is the same as a blind man saying "since I cant read a book on the other side of the world, no books exist anywhere." The fermi paradox itself is founded on a fallacy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like cartoons.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/0/6/4/064f990fe46302fb441b2815863c1644.png   aka There could be an incredibly advanced civilization, literally next door to us in the Alpha Centauri system, and we simply dont have the technological ability to detect it yet.

The idea is that if you project human technology progress out a few million years, we should be able to colonize the entire milky way within about 10 million years. We would also be able to construct massive astro-engineering projects, like a Dyson Sphere. Stuff like that would be visible at great distances, based on its gravitational effects. The fact that we've never seen anything like that indicates that either there is no life at all out there, or what life there is never gets to that point.

See the Great Filter
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Exhibit B

"Science can prove God doesn't exist" from the guy who says "Nomadic Aliens Might Destroy Us".  

Hawking comes across as a bitter man.  
View Quote

Mr. Hawking needs to get laid.

Oh, wait.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The idea is that if you project human technology progress out a few million years, we should be able to colonize the entire milky way within about 10 million years. We would also be able to construct massive astro-engineering projects, like a Dyson Sphere. Stuff like that would be visible at great distances, based on its gravitational effects. The fact that we've never seen anything like that indicates that either there is no life at all out there, or what life there is never gets to that point.

See the Great Filter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like cartoons.

See the Great Filter

Back to what I said. NO we wouldnt see it. SNR is a bitch. Even if that shit was going on, right next to us over in Alpha Centauri, we wouldnt be able to detect it.

The premise itself if flawed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why does anyone listen to anything that guys says/types/drools?
View Quote

And has a robot sex fetish. Fuck this guy. He thinks he knows everything.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Back to what I said. NO we wouldnt see it. SNR is a bitch. Even if that shit was going on, right next to us over in Alpha Centauri, we wouldnt be able to detect it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like cartoons.

See the Great Filter

Did you read the link I posted? You would most definitely be able to detect the gravitational effects of a structure that encompasses a star.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Shit, all the aliens would have to do is sit back and drop rocks on us until we surrendered or died.

Ain't a damned thing we could do to stop them, even if we could all get our shit together.

Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

We're doomed, doomed I say!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did you read the link I posted? You would most definitely be able to detect the gravitational effects of a structure that encompasses a star.

View Quote

... With what? Our magical gravity detecting sensor?

We would never detect a dyson sphere in the 1st place, because the whole point of a DS is to capture all radiated EM. There would be nothing for us to detect.

Lets make this simpler. Do you understand the equation I posted earlier and what it is used for?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We would never detect a dyson sphere in the 1st place, because the whole point of a DS is to capture all radiated EM. There would be nothing for us to detect.

Lets make this simpler. Do you understand the equation I posted earlier and what it is used for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Which public school, did you not finish?

What you just quoted, had literally nothing what so ever to do with anything Hawkin said. In fact, the current thread discussion has to do with something quite different than the original subject. It moved past Hawkins postulate many posts back.

That's okay though, here is some science talk that is closer to your speed.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. Did you know that when you try to make people who are clearly able to discuss topics intelligently look like tools by asking condescending questions like "do you understand..." you actually just come off looking childish?

That said, I actually had the theorized means by which a Dyson Sphere would be detected wrong.

http://www.space.com/24269-how-to-search-for-alien-civilizations.html

Much of the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) effort has focused on listening for radio signals sent by an intelligent civilization, as depicted in the movie "Contact." But this approach assumes the aliens want to communicate with humans. Dyson spheres get around this problem, because even a civilization that wasn't actively trying to communicate with others would give off waste heat.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah. Did you know that when you try to make people who are clearly able to discuss topics intelligently look like tools by asking condescending questions like "do you understand..." you actually just come off looking childish?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If some of the very basics of the problem arent understood, having intelligent conversation about it is rarely productive.

Let me explain the equation and it's implication to the discussion at hand. Because you are correct, I would much rather talk about this topic with folks that actually want to discuss it.

Give me a minute, I'm gonna switch to my tablet so I can draw pictures & use equations to better illustrate the issue. On this particular topic got, I've got multiple peer-reviewed work, published in research journals.  

That said, I actually had the theorized means by which a Dyson Sphere would be detected wrong.

http://www.space.com/24269-how-to-search-for-alien-civilizations.html

This plays directly back into the SNR issue that I raised. Gimme a bit to get on the other rig.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#16]
What if the aliens are super liberals and they let us destroy them due to their alien privilege?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What you just quoted, had literally nothing what so ever to do with anything Hawkin said. In fact, the current thread discussion has to do with something quite different than the original subject. It moved past Hawkins postulate many posts back.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/752/300/340.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/752/300/340.gif

You crack me up.  I'd venture to guess 90% of the people reading these posts are laughing at you.  But I may have that number too low.  I'd need Stephen to do some calculatin' for me to verify, then run it past the aliens to get their "OK".
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What if the aliens are super liberals and they let us destroy them due to their alien privilege?
View Quote

That would be the shit. I want a fucking alien EBT card. Muh spaceships!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The effects on nearby objects and objects behind.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like cartoons.

See the Great Filter

The premise of that video isn't about why haven't we detected them. The premise is why they haven't colonized everything with the few billion year head start they should have had.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Without incident radiation, how do you propose they are observed?

Keep in mind, within the Sol system, we have trouble detecting planetoids in the Edgeworth–Kuiper belt... and those have an albedo many millions of orders of magnitude easier to detect...
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My embryonic pseudoplasmic proto-being din do nuffin!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Keep in mind, within the Sol system, we have trouble detecting planetoids in the Edgeworth–Kuiper belt... and those have an albedo many millions of orders of magnitude easier to detect...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, I'm curious, what is your gut feeling on the universe? Do you think it is teaming with life and specifically, intelligent life?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The premise of that video isn't about why haven't we detected them. The premise is why they haven't colonized everything with the few billion year head start they should have had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like cartoons.

See the Great Filter

My comment on the video was more a generic reply to the Fermi Paradox.

To the video itself - I think the assumption that a civilization has to colonize other planets is flawed. That assumes a very human mindset of Manifest Destiny, so of course Aliens must be like that as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Without much faster than light travel it is a moot point.

Ain't no aliens got time to get here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Without much faster than light travel it is a moot point.

Ain't no aliens got time to get here.
View Quote

Not according to Fermi. A billion years ago there were a billion stars just like ours with planets similar to ours. Plenty of time for them to colonize huge chunks of our galaxy, even travelling slower than light.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They'd have to Battle in Los Angeles to see which theater opened it first. The Earth Might Stand Still in anticipation. I see Signs that such a film would be an Arrival of sorts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why, I bet you could make a movie about such a scenario of nomadic aliens invading earth.  If someone hurried they might even be able to get into theaters before next Independence Day.

They'd have to Battle in Los Angeles to see which theater opened it first. The Earth Might Stand Still in anticipation. I see Signs that such a film would be an Arrival of sorts.

You are both wrong. Hawking has failed to consider there is a video-gaming guy out there, who lives in a remote trailer court where his mother is manager and everyone is like a big extended family. He is seemingly doomed to stay at his trailer park home all in his life with a hot looking girlfriend and lots of rejection letters from colleges. Meanwhile, he becomes the top player of a stand-up arcade game where the player defends edges of the universe from an evil alien armada of sorts in an epic space battle. After achieving the best all time score and losing about $100 in quarters, he is approached one dark evening by the game's inventor. Stepping into inventor's vehicle will he find himself recruited as a gunner for an alien defense force when alien inventor disguised as a big eared human transports him off to another planet. He will hook up with an alien and employ an experimental technology that will wipe out the actual evil armanda and save us all.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#28]
So Steven Hawking believes in aliens?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You are both wrong. Hawking has failed to consider there is a video-gaming guy out there, who lives in a remote trailer court where his mother is manager and everyone is like a big extended family. He is seemingly doomed to stay at his trailer park home all in his life with a hot looking girlfriend and lots of rejection letters from colleges. Meanwhile, he becomes the top player of a stand-up arcade game where the player defends edges of the universe from an evil alien armada of sorts in an epic space battle. After achieving the best all time score and losing about $100 in quarters, he is approached one dark evening by the game's inventor. Stepping into inventor's vehicle will he find himself recruited as a gunner for an alien defense force when alien inventor disguised as a big eared human transports him off to another planet. He will hook up with an alien and employ an experimental technology that will wipe out the actual evil armanda and save us all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why, I bet you could make a movie about such a scenario of nomadic aliens invading earth.  If someone hurried they might even be able to get into theaters before next Independence Day.

I saw the documentary of his life when I was a teen. Changed my life.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I remember a SciFi book I read years ago.  At the end, when earth is nearly destroyed - but victorious there is one surviving alien (humanoid, but alien) in a high security military hospital.

When they are questioning him they ask him why his race/species had tried to take over earth (they were kidnapping humans by the hundreds of thousands and taking them up to their ships).

His reply was, "Because we were hungry."

What else motivates any creature to travel, fight, kill - but survival.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted: Any alien species that can get here will never have to even worry about being within the range of a firearm.  If you can cross a few hundred trillion miles of space, you can certainly nuke Earth from orbit...just to be sure.
View Quote

But why do Altliar and Dakliadid come all the way across hundreds of galaxies and millions of light years avoiding asteroids and other planets only to crash the space segway on Earth? Bad brakes?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Shit, all the aliens would have to do is sit back and drop rocks on us until we surrendered or died.

View Quote

Would you like to know more?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I actually would like to see a remake of Last Starfighter. With modern gaming as a concept and CGI that that movie would rock.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I actually would like to see a remake of Last Starfighter. With modern gaming as a concept and CGI that that movie would rock.

View Quote

That would be good. Anyone could play the video game nerd, but what actor could follow Robert Preston?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
That would be good. Anyone could play the video game nerd, but what actor could follow Robert Preston?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But "her" name would be Roberta Presto-Biggums and she'd be a 6" tranvestite lesbian social worker from New York with 2 kids and a hipster husband more feminine than she is.

Or something like that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
But "her" name would be Roberta Presto-Biggums and she'd be a 6" tranvestite lesbian social worker from New York with 2 kids and a hipster husband more feminine than she is.    

Or something like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or something like that.

Well we've got trouble. Right here in Nostalgia City. Trouble starts with a T, and that rhymes with T, and that stands for....trannies?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So, I'm curious, what is your gut feeling on the universe? Do you think it is teaming with life and specifically, intelligent life?
View Quote

Lemme 1st address what I said I was going to acouple posts back on SNR. I'm kinda procrastinating drawing pictures and equations on my other tablet right now, cuz lots of great college games on right now. I did at least get it out .

Using the free space electric field strength equation, you can easily derive certain characteristics of unidirectional radiative signals. This is a common calculation engineers use all the time. It's one of the 1st steps in determining transmitter or receiver system needs.  Relevant to this discussion is signal strength at some given distance.

Currently the absolutely most state of the art, biggest/baddest detection equipment that we have doesnt even have the sensitivity to detect directed signals even half a light year away from us (Our closest neighbors are ~4.3 light years away). By that, I mean even if someone was literally inside of our house, in bed with us (in a cosmological scale), and sending a directed signal specifically at us; we dont have the ability to detect it. The power of the signal would be completely eclipsed even by some random dude running his microwave over to cook a tv dinner, hundreds of miles away. By the time the signal got here, it would be so weak the EM field of the pacemaker of the technician manning the radio telescope could completely drown out the signal.  The types of things we can/do detect are huge cosmological events, like gama ray bursts and pulsars. Even those are relatively close, like "in the neighborhood" type events. The universe is fucking huge. Any signal will essentially be indistinguishable from background radiation; unless the signal was essentially powered by a star and beamed directly at us. Even then, we probably wouldn’t detect it.
The whole problem with the Fermi “paradox” is that it assumes we should have detected something. The problem is, for all intents and purposes, we CANT.  You can’t have a credible theory that you do not possess the capability to measure or in any way validate. We currently don’t have the technology to be able to detect signals even if they are beamed directly at us. The SNR is just too low.

The other issue I have with it is time. On a cosmic scale, the time we have been looking for signals is still essentially zero. So we haven’t even been looking for signals and the Fermi “Paradox” declares, before we even started, “well, we haven’t found anything; therefor nothing exists.” The Great Filter means nothing, as it tries to explain why certain things did/didn’t happen from a nonsensical premise (fermi paradox). It’s like trying to explain why you should use cheese from the south polar region of the moon on your nachos as opposed to cheese from the north polar region of the moon.  

I’m sorry, I should have explained my issue from the start; with this particular topic.

Do I think there is life out there? Yeah. It’s probably teeming with it. On planet earth, we have thousands of examples of life not only surviving in the most extreme conditions; but thriving. I would put good money on life being in multiple locations, in the Sol system. But the problem is that it will be a thousand year before we have the capability to even detect signals coming from outside Sol. It’s just the nature of EM propagation…

I think listening for signals, at this point, is wasted effort. That’s effort that could be put to use exploring our own Sol system and looking for life here. We need to get our asses to Europa.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#38]
That's just it, the Fermi Paradox is about space travel, not receiving radio or other signals.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That's just it, the Fermi Paradox is about space travel, not receiving radio or other signals.
View Quote

The basic assumption is that of manifest destiny. Applying ANY human trait to something completely alien; is a non-starter.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Want to know the truth?

Hawking is a God fearing, evolution shunning, anti-global warming theorist.....but the smart alek kid who programmed his computer to speak for him is remote control hacking him to say what he wants!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I am thinking they will be so advanced they won't have any idea how to protect themselves from primitive weapons like a bullet.
View Quote

Logical fallacy.   Kinetic energy is significantly more difficult to defeat than thermal energy.  Super high velocity projectiles may just be the ultimate weapon of the future.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The basic assumption is that of manifest destiny. Applying ANY human trait to something completely alien; is a non-starter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colonization is a trait shared by all life, no? Calling it manifest destiny and saying only humans do it seems illogical. At east to me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I remember a SciFi book I read years ago.  At the end, when earth is nearly destroyed - but victorious there is one surviving alien (humanoid, but alien) in a high security military hospital.

When they are questioning him they ask him why his race/species had tried to take over earth (they were kidnapping humans by the hundreds of thousands and taking them up to their ships).

His reply was, "Because we were hungry."

What else motivates any creature to travel, fight, kill - but survival.
View Quote

resources. always about the resources.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yup, an alien war on us would be like the one we wage against insects.

Spray pests as many times as necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stephen Hawking says nomadic aliens might crush us

Many of Stephen Hawking's recent pronouncements have been slightly dire.

He worries about artificial intelligence. We evolve so slowly that it could simply stomp us out, he said last year.

But there are other threats. In an interview with Spain's El Pais, the world-renowned physicist said he feared aliens might destroy us. He said it might be worse that when Columbus turned up in the Americas.

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach," Hawking told El Pais. "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.

I am thinking they will be so advanced they won't have any idea how to protect themselves from primitive weapons like a bullet.

Bullets wouldn't do anything against some sort of super bio weapon that would kill us.

Yup, an alien war on us would be like the one we wage against insects.

Spray pests as many times as necessary.

Rachel Carson has killed us all.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Colonization is a trait shared by all life, no? Calling it manifest destiny and saying only humans do it seems illogical. At east to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's the thing. Who knows?

In less intelligent life on earth, life tends to form homeostasis. Even different human cultures, have no interest at all in colonization.

Now take into consideration a culture that is so advanced it can travel the stars at ease. That basically implies that energy, is not a concern for them any more. Control of energy generation makes the need for all other resources negligible in comparison. By the time you're a Type 3 civilization, you dont need rapid expansion to ensure your survival. You dont need special effort to secure resources, as you can probably make them directly from energy. Thus invalidating the very premise that you need to expand and colonize in the 1st place.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#46]
LOL. I live between DC and Baltimore and I'm supposed to worry about aliens?!

If we lose power for more than 72 hours I'm toast!

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Gun control will solve the problem.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Beside the worthless fucks in D.C.?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://p.fod4.com/p/channels/vfmen/profile/s=w1200/o=95/hzz1LCESiqwR7xKEzeoD_christopher_walken.jpg

Noice.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top