Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you Stephen.  Can't wait until next year when you tells us that giant monsters coming through an extra dimensional rift in the ocean's crust are a threat and we should build giant robots now to fight them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank you Stephen.  Can't wait until next year when you tells us that giant monsters coming through an extra dimensional rift in the ocean's crust are a threat and we should build giant robots now to fight them.
View Quote

We should have begun building giant robots years ago, interdimensional rifts or no interdimensional rifts.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You mean the Pope that believes in global warming and truly doesn't believe in god?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why does anyone listen to anything that guys says/types/drools?

Please be joking.

You can only lol at anyone who would ask that.

Even the Popes recognize his sciency brain.

You mean the Pope that believes in global warming and truly doesn't believe in god?

Well, he was inducted in 1986, so not Francis.

Though when you say the pope that doesn't truly believe in God, you kinda lost me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think Stephen Hawking has much more to worry about than aliens.  If I were him that's the last thing I'd be thinking about lol.  I'd much rather have my life and limited mental capacity than his supposedly genius "intelligence" and his life.  That dude can shrivel up and die for all I care.
View Quote

Classy....

Tell us, when did he say something to hurt your feelings?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Classy....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think Stephen Hawking has much more to worry about than aliens.  If I were him that's the last thing I'd be thinking about lol.  I'd much rather have my life and limited mental capacity than his supposedly genius "intelligence" and his life.  That dude can shrivel up and die for all I care.

Classy....

You have certainly hurt my feelings in the past!
How dare you!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why would anyone expend the time and energy to squash us?
View Quote

If we have things they want?

This is so pedestrian-obvious I can't believe people need to be told this (or that someone would give an interview and bring it up).   Any species that could make travel time to this solar system practical would have technology that likely would appear like fucking magic to us.   I highly doubt that they would be adherents to Roddenberry's vision of space exploration either.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#7]
nvm
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think they will be so advanced they won't need shit we got.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stephen Hawking says nomadic aliens might crush us

Many of Stephen Hawking's recent pronouncements have been slightly dire.

He worries about artificial intelligence. We evolve so slowly that it could simply stomp us out, he said last year.

But there are other threats. In an interview with Spain's El Pais, the world-renowned physicist said he feared aliens might destroy us. He said it might be worse that when Columbus turned up in the Americas.

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach," Hawking told El Pais. "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.

I am thinking they will be so advanced they won't have any idea how to protect themselves from primitive weapons like a bullet.

I think they will be so advanced they won't need shit we got.

They won't need anything we produce for sure.   Accessible and varied mineral resources, inhabitable space, liquid water, useful atmosphere and mild temperatures.....  those are not so abundant.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let's be honest here.  If Hawking did that, and it spurred the world into building giant robots, would you really complain?  Or would you silently thank Hawking?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the only thing of real value we could have that a species capable of interstellar travel would want would be the Earth.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Space Vixens?

I'd let them destroy me.

View Quote

Need pics to decide
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think the only thing of real value we could have that a species capable of interstellar travel would want would be the Earth.
View Quote

Uh, Taylor Swift is worth interstellar travel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm thinking we find a hot-shot, cocky pilot laden with one-liners that is black and a Jewish computer-expert working well under his potential to fly a capture alien fighter and plant a virus in their mothership before we nuke it anyway.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This...my god this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#17]
This thread is fantastic.

I nominate this thread for most entertaining thread of the year.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why do I put fire crackers in ants nests on the 4th of July?

I don't know either
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is so pedestrian-obvious I can't believe people need to be told this (or that someone would give an interview and bring it up).   Any species that could make travel time to this solar system practical would have technology that likely would appear like fucking magic to us.   I highly doubt that they would be adherents to Roddenberry's vision of space exploration either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is nothing on this planet that can't most likely easily be harvested elsewhere.  We're not that special.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There is nothing on this planet that can't most likely easily be harvested elsewhere.  We're not that special.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that even with the billions of stars that have lived as long or longer than ours which could have developed life, and the billions of years that life on those stars could have spent engaging in even subluminal travel, we still haven't met no ETs.

Maybe we are special.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's the Gee, Mr. Wizard, You're Wonderful Effect - People who are brilliant/smart/moderately competent in one field tend to think that they're also brilliant/smart/moderately competent in every other field.

Hollywood is full of 'em.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the Gee, Mr. Wizard, You're Wonderful Effect - People who are brilliant/smart/moderately competent in one field tend to think that they're also brilliant/smart/moderately competent in every other field.

Hollywood is full of 'em.

His field is related. He's as expert in the field as you will find.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You're really this ignorant of his field of expertise?

Theoretical physics and cosmology. He's the Director of Research of theoretical cosmology at Cambridge.

I dont feel smart for knowing he's going to be one of the most qualified people on earth to comment on topics within the realm of cosmology. I simply just dont feel like I'm retarded for not knowing a cosmologist is qualified to talk about this kind of stuff. Just like I wouldnt feel smart for point out that a mechanical engineer is qualified to comment on dynamic load stresses on an I-beam. I'd just be glad I'm not retarded enough to think an ME couldnt talk about dynamics.  Just how I'd personally feel...

This isnt Bill Nye trying to comment on biology/abortion...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because he is incredibly smart and a leader in his field.

That was a stupid question.

Is his field alien invasion research?  If not, you gave an incredibly stupid answer there fella.

I bet you feel smart.

You're really this ignorant of his field of expertise?

Theoretical physics and cosmology. He's the Director of Research of theoretical cosmology at Cambridge.

I dont feel smart for knowing he's going to be one of the most qualified people on earth to comment on topics within the realm of cosmology. I simply just dont feel like I'm retarded for not knowing a cosmologist is qualified to talk about this kind of stuff. Just like I wouldnt feel smart for point out that a mechanical engineer is qualified to comment on dynamic load stresses on an I-beam. I'd just be glad I'm not retarded enough to think an ME couldnt talk about dynamics.  Just how I'd personally feel...

This isnt Bill Nye trying to comment on biology/abortion...

I feel the force trembling... an unmistakable butthurt coming from you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Shhh!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Let's take human morality out of it. IF an alien species is intelligent enough to get here, they don't need our resources.  

Shhh!

Might be true but not necessarly relevent even if it is. They can have reasons we might not consider.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Don't forget the drunk former pilot alien abductee that joins a ragtag group of pilots that sacrifices himself to show us how to bring them sum bitches down.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm thinking we find a hot-shot, cocky pilot laden with one-liners that is black and a Jewish computer-expert working well under his potential to fly a capture alien fighter and plant a virus in their mothership before we nuke it anyway.
Don't forget the drunk former pilot alien abductee that joins a ragtag group of pilots that sacrifices himself to show us how to bring them sum bitches down.  

I'll be joining the resistence group run by the former American History professor.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Except that even with the billions of stars that have lived as long or longer than ours which could have developed life, and the billions of years that life on those stars could have spent engaging in even subluminal travel, we still haven't met no ETs.

Maybe we are special.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe we are special.

The universe is really big, and we've only been here for less than a cosmic eyeblink. The fact that we haven't found them (and they haven't found us) says nothing.  What Is the probability that two particular grains of dust will collide in a sandstorm... Then multiply that probability by 1/1000000...

Then realize that we may be several orders of magnitude too optimistic.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Something's brewing considering the shit hole this place is turning into.  Might as well be aliens.  Im ready
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Need pics to decide
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Space Vixens?

I'd let them destroy me.

Need pics to decide

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's a reasonable assumption. But assuming that they would bring overwhelming numbers, superior military technology and an all out motivation to win, and that their end game would be annihilation of the species or destruction of the planet, is the absolute worst case and perhaps the least likely scenario. It might be more likely that the aliens have some restrictions in how they deal with planetary invasions. They might want to breed us instead of destroying us. They might have some kind of a hunting ethos, that the prey needs to be given some off chance to escape. They might also not like getting their hands dirty at all and instead send in their slaves from other already conquered, yet way less advanced worlds and provide the invading slaves only outdated weaponry (perhaps also captured as plunder from conquered civilizations).

Lots of reasonable ways we could have a chance to win or at least secure a military result that ensures long term species survival. And not all of them have to do with the worst Hollywood cliches of bullets beating particle beams, viruses beating aliens that are biologically advanced enough for long range space travel or them having a mothership with a queen or single point of failure, etc.

Yes they might destroy us, but they might also save us or influence our development in some yet unimagined ways.

ETA: I will also welcome our alien overlords (overmy'ladies?):

http://geeksofdoom.com/GoD/img/2009/10/2009-10-16-max_grace_tricia2a.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they had the tech to warp space and time, their weapons tech is certainly going to be way out of our league.

That's a reasonable assumption. But assuming that they would bring overwhelming numbers, superior military technology and an all out motivation to win, and that their end game would be annihilation of the species or destruction of the planet, is the absolute worst case and perhaps the least likely scenario. It might be more likely that the aliens have some restrictions in how they deal with planetary invasions. They might want to breed us instead of destroying us. They might have some kind of a hunting ethos, that the prey needs to be given some off chance to escape. They might also not like getting their hands dirty at all and instead send in their slaves from other already conquered, yet way less advanced worlds and provide the invading slaves only outdated weaponry (perhaps also captured as plunder from conquered civilizations).

Lots of reasonable ways we could have a chance to win or at least secure a military result that ensures long term species survival. And not all of them have to do with the worst Hollywood cliches of bullets beating particle beams, viruses beating aliens that are biologically advanced enough for long range space travel or them having a mothership with a queen or single point of failure, etc.

Yes they might destroy us, but they might also save us or influence our development in some yet unimagined ways.

ETA: I will also welcome our alien overlords (overmy'ladies?):

http://geeksofdoom.com/GoD/img/2009/10/2009-10-16-max_grace_tricia2a.jpg

Less than 200 Spaniards conquered the Incas, an empire of several million people, in the early 1500s.

The best bet is that it would be very, very bad to encounter an advanced alien race.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I like cartoons.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't get how he gets to say absolutely retarded shit that he can't support and it's "news" - and not the "Weekly World News".  This shit isn't science.  There are people who claim to see little space men all the time and Dr. Steve-o thinks that's perfectly legit, but people claim to see Angels and Demons and he says there is 100% no God and all those people are fucking stupid.

So, he can't prove the existence of either, yet... um... SCIENCE!  Yeah, that's the ticket!  No God, yes aliens!
View Quote

Yeah, kinda ironic, isn't it?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's pointing out it is stupid to try to contact alien races. There have been various efforts to do so, all based upon the loopy idea that advanced races would have to be enlightened and basically pacifist.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will have whatever motives they will have. They may not even be trying to, neither the Spanish nor English came to America with an intent to destroy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Wait... Buttsex!"
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View Quote

Why do I throw rocks at hornet nests? I don't know, either.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#36]
His "mathematic brain" can't figure out global warming is a scam?  Fuck him.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Science is their god and Hawking is their prophet. Power corrupts. Intelligence is not wisdom, and a few other cliches...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get how he gets to say absolutely retarded shit that he can't support and it's "news" - and not the "Weekly World News".  This shit isn't science.  There are people who claim to see little space men all the time and Dr. Steve-o thinks that's perfectly legit, but people claim to see Angels and Demons and he says there is 100% no God and all those people are fucking stupid.

So, he can't prove the existence of either, yet... um... SCIENCE!  Yeah, that's the ticket!  No God, yes aliens!  

Science is their god and Hawking is their prophet. Power corrupts. Intelligence is not wisdom, and a few other cliches...

lol

"I just need muh bible, none of those fag science books for muh kiddoes!"

"Welcome to Costco, I love you"
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe you could help him analyze the data properly.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
  They'd have to Battle in Los Angeles to see which theater opened it first. The Earth Might Stand Still in anticipation. I see Signs that such a film would be an Arrival of sorts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why, I bet you could make a movie about such a scenario of nomadic aliens invading earth.  If someone hurried they might even be able to get into theaters before next Independence Day.

They'd have to Battle in Los Angeles to see which theater opened it first. The Earth Might Stand Still in anticipation. I see Signs that such a film would be an Arrival of sorts.

Don't forget, it might be so devestating that there would be Falling Skies.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The most important one is liberals are pushing for it. That data point really tells all.

Not to mention the actual temperature records, or the ones that were manipulated.

You want to know another thing his mathematic brain can't figure out?   The correlation between gun laws and gun crime.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I will fuck them to death with my dick. I mean it.
View Quote
There he goes.  Homeboy fucked a Martain once.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Let's be honest here.  If Hawking did that, and it spurred the world into building giant robots, would you really complain?  Or would you silently thank Hawking?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh, yes, he would be my hero.  I am calling BS on controlling them like they did in Pacific Rim though.  There is no way a hetero male would "drift" minds with a hot Asian chick and not completely offend her with his thoughts.  The guy would have inadvertently been relaying his thoughts to have the robot act them out and would have ended up ass banging the kaiju to death.  Subsequent attacks would cease.  Other kaiju would be in tears begging not to be sent through the rift to face the giant sex robots.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Too many 90s movie has he been watching.

Next thing he will make headlines saying......

Would you... like to... play.. a.. game
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Mr. Mark LaRue,

With the pending threat of nomadic aliens invading planet Earth, you need to to put a chainsaw and flamethrower on the end of the OBR 7.62.  Nothing says fuck you like barbecuing your enemy while you filet them.  Aliens might make good bacon so it might be worth it.

Respectfully,

Bear
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We should have begun building giant robots years ago, interdimensional rifts or no interdimensional rifts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rocket punch should work pretty well on the black stone in Mecca.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#46]
We are the aliens.  Also, according to my sources most of the accounts of people being abducted by 'short, gray skinned, genital-less  beings' actually just met humans from the future.  Apparently we manipulate our DNA in the future, no longer have a pooper and reproduce using science, unfortunately we smell terrible because we excrete all waste through pores in our skin.  This is why the 'aliens' are so obsessed with your butthole, they're trying to reverse engineer it back into their species.  Problem number 2, is that we've wiped out all viruses/harmful bugs in the future and have no immune system.  If Hawking knew what he was talking about he would know these things, when the 'aliens' come back it will be like when the Europeans came to the new world, except we're still the Europeans, with our advanced digestive and immune systems.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#47]
He's right.  Also, bigfoot might buttfuck one of my neighbors tonight.  It's hard to say.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

If there is another intelligent species out there, there will be more than one.

In any society there are those that will seek to enslave and oppress.

Fucking Reavers and Space Pirates all fun and games until they drop into the orbit of Mars.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Hawkings is trapped in his own mind.

We will destroy ourselves long before a hostile alien species finds us.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i completely agree

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top