Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 4:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 Wow!
View Quote
That is just the start of the ebay buys

ETA> it seems like the pins are color coated the same as the pinning kit so sorting is going quick

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#2]
And my big dumb ass drunken ebay purchase just came in. I had just read that ebay cancels these so you had to buy it now quickly to get one . It looks like my picks and some locks will come yet today too and next week my Foley institute class book will be here I guess it was sent media mail

Link Posted: 11/14/2015 2:11:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

And my big dumb ass drunken ebay purchase just came in. I had just read that ebay cancels these so you had to buy it now quickly to get one . It looks like my picks and some locks will come yet today too and next week my Foley institute class book will be here I guess it was sent media mail

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/E-mag/20151113_160316_zpsitaf2mw5.jpg

View Quote

Went all in, did ya?
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 2:42:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
  Went all in, did ya?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/E-mag/20151113_160316_zpsitaf2mw5.jpg

Went all in, did ya?

well at least I will get the book and this for under $175 And I will be able to cut my own keys If i can get some blanks I think I will try and make some bump keys

ETA this looks ike it is built really well cleaned t up and greased it and it ran smoothly then the old belt broke at the seam now I just have to find a o ring in the 6 inch range
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#5]
E-mag, got your picks yet?
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I did but have not had much time to mess with them. I will need to polish them up thought they were kinda rough on the edges. Maybe by the end of the week I will have time to play with my new toys.

ETA I am not very impressed with the 32 piece set I got from learnlockpicking and might order some individual picks from somewhere else
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]
OK it is official I suck at lock picking . I can open my door and a random lock cylinder I picked up a while back that had one spool pin by what I believe they call bitch picking but I can not for the life of me single pin pick anything

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:22:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

OK it is official I suck at lock picking . I can open my door and a random lock cylinder I picked up a while back that had one spool pin by what I believe they call bitch picking but I can not for the life of me single pin pick anything  
View Quote

Raking and bitch picking is pretty easy on cheap locks. Single pin is hard though even on cheaper locks. I had to start with 3 pins on my challenge lock and work my way up. Currently I am at all 5 pins, with a couple spools. Even then I can only get it part of the time.

ETA:

For SPP I found experimenting with different tension wrenches can really help. Feedback is key.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 3:16:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Raking and bitch picking is pretty easy on cheap locks. Single pin is hard though even on cheaper locks. I had to start with 3 pins on my challenge lock and work my way up. Currently I am at all 5 pins, with a couple spools. Even then I can only get it part of the time.

ETA:

For SPP I found experimenting with different tension wrenches can really help. Feedback is key.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

I defiantly need better tension wrenches. I might have to replace my wiper blades or buy a set of the pry bar wrenches. I did manage to SPP my 7 pin practice lock once but have not done it again I might have to drop down a few pins.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:27:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I picked up some used mortise locks and played a bit tonight. I had some success SPP them but mostly counter clockwise. Maybe it is because i am left handed
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I picked up some used mortise locks and played a bit tonight. I had some success SPP them but mostly counter clockwise. Maybe it is because i am left handed
View Quote

Might as well give up now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I pick locks while I'm on conference calls.  Most things can be handled with a good Bogota, a half Diamond or a Hook.  The key (snicker) is having good tension wrenches that fit well.  I like these if you can only have one:

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I pick locks while I'm on conference calls.  Most things can be handled with a good Bogota, a half Diamond or a Hook.  The key (snicker) is having good tension wrenches that fit well.  I like these if you can only have one:

https://www.thinkpeterson.com/images/ppb.gif

View Quote
I have a few, and haven't warmed up to them yet.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Can any of the accomplished pickers here recommend any budget priced transparent or cut away tumbler type and padlock practice locks?

This one from Southord looks nice but don't want to spend that much if I don't have to.

http://www.southord.com/Lock-Pick-Tools/Practice-Lock-Cutaway-Visible-Locks-ST-34.html
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Can any of the accomplished pickers here recommend any budget priced transparent or cut away tumbler type and padlock practice locks?

This one from Southord looks nice but don't want to spend that much if I don't have to.

http://www.southord.com/Lock-Pick-Tools/Practice-Lock-Cutaway-Visible-Locks-ST-34.html
View Quote
Sorry no help on the clear locks but I did buy a practice lock from learnlockpicking.com I got the 7 pin one because I figured it would be expandable to any level in one lock. Or you could buy a mortise lock and tap the holes like they did. If you go the homemade route and need some extra pins let me know and I can send you some

ETA> this is not a mortise lock but the procedure is similar. With one of these and some pins you an easily repin to however many pins you want also i think learning the feel with out seeing will be more valuable as you will never be able to see into a real lock

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:09:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
They have some in the clearance section also the Locksmith School In A Box Progressive Lock Picking Learning System - ST-23-O looks like a deal

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just got my picks in the mail, and I am starting to realize that being left handed is going to be a pain in the ass.

Still having a lot of fun though. Thanks for costing me money again, arf.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just got my picks in the mail, and I am starting to realize that being left handed is going to be a pain in the ass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I switch back and forth but i seem to have a i bit better control left handed. My problem currently seems to be tension though. I will be happy when my new tension wrenches get here the ones I have now are too flexy

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#19]
From the bosinan bill youtube

Peterson's annual sale email arrived after I made this video. To get your 15% discount, use the discount code "tree" (in lower case) when you check out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://toool.us/images/usa_law_map.png

Only the orange-ish states consider picks to be evidence of criminal activity. The rest of the country has to prove intent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always thought it would be fun but was worried about carrying them around with me.     With my luck I would get pulled over by law enforcement and get arrested for "burglary tools" or some such nonsense.

Only the orange-ish states consider picks to be evidence of criminal activity. The rest of the country has to prove intent.

After seeing the map above and researching Tennessee laws on possessing lockpicking tools, it appears that you can be charged with a felony in Tennessee
for even owning a set and without the state having to prove intent.

I would like to tinker in the garage with some picks and locks, and have no intention of leaving the house with them, but I am not going to order picks until I can find out if ordering them can get you charged with a crime.

Any Tennessee pickers have insight on this?

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
After seeing the map above and researching Tennessee laws on possessing lockpicking tools, it appears that you can be charged with a felony in Tennessee

I would like to tinker in the garage with some picks and locks, and have no intention of leaving the house with them, but I am not going to order picks until I can find out if ordering them can get you charged with a crime.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always thought it would be fun but was worried about carrying them around with me.     With my luck I would get pulled over by law enforcement and get arrested for "burglary tools" or some such nonsense.

yea it looks like you need to be licensed to be safe but there is also this on the website that map is from

Possibly illegal by statute; new laws targeting rogue or scammer locksmiths are broadly-written and criminalize possession of lockpicks by unlicensed persons.

However, a common sense reading of the new statutes shows that they are targeting those who improperly seek to earn money by defrauding the public.

Use and demonstration of lockpicks might be considered legal if not done for profit. TOOOL is writing to the Tennessee AG's office for clarification.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#22]
No experience here, but I was absolutely shocked at how easy it was when I was locked out a couple times.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No experience here, but I was absolutely shocked at how easy it was when I was locked out a couple times.
View Quote
yep this is how I got interested. I bought a crappy kit and in a few min picked the deadbolt and knob lock . I would imagine almost any apartment could be picked by an amateur in a few min. It defiantly changed my outlook on the security locks provide

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
yep this is how I got interested. I bought a crappy kit and in a few min picked the deadbolt and knob lock . I would imagine almost any apartment could be picked by an amateur in a few min. It defiantly changed my outlook on the security locks provide  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what my hurried half assed post was trying to say.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Just finished the pick set that will go in my work van for downtime fun

I picked up a bunch of these at $1.65 each it seemed easier than making my own

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/E-mag/IMG_20151122_200314_zpsavm7b47w.jpg

Did you make the handle?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:14:12 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.southord.com/Lock-Picking-Tools/pocket-pen-picks.html

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/E-mag/IMG_20151122_200314_zpsavm7b47w.jpg
  Did you make the handle?

I did. Kinda off Bosnian bills plans (i posted earlier) but I drilled the hole a bit bigger so I did not have to trim down the picks and put a set screw on both sides. I could have made it a bit shorter though
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:42:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Could just get Abloy locks and completely eliminate the possibility of someone picking their way in...

Something to note, even if you don't have the strongest doors, windows, etc, there is something good about forcing an intruder to resort to destructive entry. You'll know they were there right away, and it attracts a lot more attention when they're breaking down your door/window.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This guy speaks truth.  I am the ringleader of my local TOOOL chapter.   I teach 1000s of people a year how to pick locks.   My house and shop are all abloy protec 2 locks.  I worry more about cutting, smashing, and breaking now.   I have watched some guys pick mulTIlocks in minutes too.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:49:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I did. Kinda off Bosnian bills plans (i posted earlier) but I drilled the hole a bit bigger so I did not have to trim down the picks and put a set screw on both sides. I could have made it a bit shorter though
View Quote

Yeah I saw his video on that a while back. Hows the feedback? I considered making one, but I am thinking the feedback is going to be dulled due to the handle being so stiff/solid.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

This guy speaks truth.  I am the ringleader of my local TOOOL chapter.   I teach 1000s of people a year how to pick locks.   My house and shop are all abloy protec 2 locks.  I worry more about cutting, smashing, and breaking now.   I have watched some guys pick mulTIlocks in minutes too.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Could just get Abloy locks and completely eliminate the possibility of someone picking their way in...

Something to note, even if you don't have the strongest doors, windows, etc, there is something good about forcing an intruder to resort to destructive entry. You'll know they were there right away, and it attracts a lot more attention when they're breaking down your door/window.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Even with the cheapest locks, the average crook is still going to be cutting/smashing/breaking their way into a building. The lock on the door is usually the securest part of a residential home full of glass and weak doors.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:06:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
  Yeah I saw his video on that a while back. Hows the feedback? I considered making one, but I am thinking the feedback is going to be dulled due to the handle being so stiff/solid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not the best to ask about feedback I suck at SPPing The weight might cut down on the feedback some you could use titanium or aluminum. I should add I used the end of one of the picks as a reamer after I drilled the hole by putting the pick in the vise and chucking the brass rod in the drill this made it fit very tight without wobble

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:15:28 AM EDT
[#32]
amateur.  I worked as a security guard in college and spent a LOOOT of time picking locks to stay awake. I used to be good at it but now I suck. It's an amazingly useful hobby sometimes.   We were working a KMart once and a water pipe cut loose inside,  we called the cops and by the time they got there we were in and had it shut off.

Kmart gave us a 500$ bonus each cause we saved a LOT of damage from happening.  It took the FD/Cops about 15 minutes to get there.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#33]
I just purchased this set for 12.99 shipped figured it would get me started. What do you guys think?
12.99 lock pick set
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I just purchased this set for 12.99 shipped figured it would get me started. What do you guys think?

12.99 lock pick set
View Quote

Invest in tension wrenches. That kit has all the most common picks but is sorely lacking on the variety of tension wrenches. It also has a lot of picks you will likely never use. For $12 pick away!
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Invest in tension wrenches. That kit has all the most common picks but is sorely lacking on the variety of tension wrenches. It also has a lot of picks you will likely never use. For $12 pick away!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

12.99 lock pick set

I bought a way worse set to get me started. If you get but by the bug south ord picks seem nice for the money.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

12.99 lock pick set

Yah, you need tension wrenches and I would never use a lot of those picks but for $13 you didn't get screwed either.  Go to the local quick lube and see if you can score some used wiper blades and roll your own wrenches.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I bought a way worse set to get me started. If you get but by the bug south ord picks seem nice for the money.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

12.99 lock pick set

The thing I don't like about southord is you might get a lot of picks for the money but a lot of them are useless.  Compare these two sets at the same price point:

The southord set has 24 pics and the sparrow's has 11.  The problem is 9 of the 24 picks in the southord set are basically useless, that leaves a 15 pick to 11 advantage.  Then toss in the fact that the sparrow's set has the bogata, double peak, and triple peak and the southord kit doesn't.  That last point is where sparrow's clenches it for me.  I really wish southord would start including better rakes in their sets instead of gimmicky junk.  If they had bogatas and triple peaks instead of snowmen and mega hooks there's no way I could recommend sparrow's over them given the number of picks you get for the price.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The thing I don't like about southord is you might get a lot of picks for the money but a lot of them are useless.  Compare these two sets at the same price point:  

http://www.southord.com/Lock-Pick-Tools/Lock-Pick-Set-32-Piece-Metal-Handles-MPXS-32.html
http://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/Wizwazzle_p/s-9.htm
The southord set has 24 pics and the sparrow's has 11.  The problem is 9 of the 24 picks in the southord set are basically useless, that leaves a 15 pick to 11 advantage.  Then toss in the fact that the sparrow's set has the bogata, double peak, and triple peak and the southord kit doesn't.  That last point is where sparrow's clenches it for me.  I really wish southord would start including better rakes in their sets instead of gimmicky junk.  If they had bogatas and triple peaks instead of snowmen and mega hooks there's no way I could recommend sparrow's over them given the number of picks you get for the price.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

12.99 lock pick set

http://www.southord.com/Lock-Pick-Tools/Lock-Pick-Set-32-Piece-Metal-Handles-MPXS-32.html

I was thinking about single picks considering he had a case. That said I have a set from sparrows on the way. The only thing is coming from Canada seems to take a lot longer I ordered from both places the same day and my southord stuff came Friday and it looks like my sparrows order is still in canada

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I was thinking about single picks considering he had a case. That said I have a set from sparrows on the way. The only thing is coming from Canada seems to take a lot longer I ordered from both places the same day and my southord stuff came Friday and it looks like my sparrows order is still in canada  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

12.99 lock pick set

Check out these guys if you want another US source:  https://www.thinkpeterson.com/index.html

They seem a bit pricy to me though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Check out these guys if you want another US source:  https://www.thinkpeterson.com/index.html  

They seem a bit pricy to me though.

View Quote
Yep have not tried them apparently they make very good picks. I posted a 15% off code earlier for them

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When its slow at work, Ill bust out the picks and lock and take a few goes at it. Seems like a good hobby that can be done nearly anywhere when you have a few minutes. I can carry the lock. pick set and spare pins in my pockets.

In Virginia just about anything can be considered a burglary tool, not just picks.

People have been charged for screwdrivers and crowbars.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:03:39 AM EDT
[#42]
I should retract my statement about sparrows having crappy shipping my picks should be here tomorrow. the shipping was longer than southord but still reasonable considering they have no control over customs
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:30:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Got my sparrows picks and they are very nice. I got the upgraded handles it would not take much to make the picks VERY polished.

The surprise of the lot was the octopus rake it is way bigger than the rest and actually seems to work great but needs a handle of some sort
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:02:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Try spitting in the keyhole and then rake............

Thank me later
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:10:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have this bookmarked for future purchases. SERE pick was mentioned on a defcon like talk I watched.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://shop.thetacticalmedic.com/Lock-Pick-Card-picks.htm

Credit card sized for easy carry in your wallet.

Six picks and four tension tools.

I have this bookmarked for future purchases. SERE pick was mentioned on a defcon like talk I watched.

The serepicks are well made but I am much faster with my own favorites
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:01:35 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://shop.thetacticalmedic.com/Lock-Pick-Card-picks.htm

Credit card sized for easy carry in your wallet.

Six picks and four tension tools.

I bought it for the form factor. I am sure using full size, handled picks, with my favorite tension wrench would get me into a lock much quicker. At Thanksgiving dinner, my very young niece mentioned she was a spy and opened locks with a bobby pin. She was floored when I showed her the card. Even asked to trace it in her spy journal! That alone was worth the cost.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Your household deadbolts are pretty easy.
View Quote

No, they aren't, there's a number of ways in my house, the abloy deadbolts aren't
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

No, they aren't, there's a number of ways in my house, the abloy deadbolts aren't
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your household deadbolts are pretty easy.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:40:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Liked the no tension wrench pick on the walking dead tonight
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top