Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't control or know your death, but you can live your life to the best of your ability don't squander your time.
I try be the best person I can be and show those that I love how much I value them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:59:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
fear death not really, fear diarrhea? yeah sometimes.

I believe fear is why we are here.  There is no reason to fear death if you know christ- says the bible.  I will say this  god or no god when the time comes your going somewhere you can'tdo alot to change it  so might as well believe in something nice.

View Quote

Oh god surprise diarrhea is the worst
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:01:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't fear death I just hope it doesn't hurt to much.  

I'm old (64) and in bad health but the kinda guy that slides into the parking lot of life and
jumps off the bike and hollers what a ride.

I've done almost everything I ever wanted to do and had a great time doing it.

I've know some great people and I have some great friends

I've flown airplanes and run locomotives and made love to some beautiful women.

I have had the most beautiful life I could ever hope for.

Thank you Lord for my life.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:02:28 AM EDT
[#4]
This is arfcom, no one here fears anything but maybe diabetes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:02:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I live life to the fullest everyday.  I don't fear death.  My only fear is not having prepared my boys for the challenges they may face.
View Quote

+1

I don't really worry about death - too much going on in life to even think about it.  I am concerned for my kids though.  I want to make sure they're prepared for whatever may come - for my 12 y.o. son he may be 30 before he gets some maturity, for my 9 y.o. daughter she might be good to go by the time she's 15.   Sadly, I don't think my wife could prepare our kids very well for life as an adult.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:03:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yes, yes you will.

All glory to Locke556!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I intend to live forever.

I'll be fucked if I let this guy's galactic empire eclipse mine...

Yes, yes you will.

All glory to Locke556!

It's on now...

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:03:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:09:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I know a lot of you are semi-old, so I'm asking.

Is there an age where fear of death no longer influences your actions, consciously, subconsciously or unconsciously? Is it when you have a child?

In your last breath, will you have accepted your life as is, honestly and completely
View Quote

I'm scared of people I care about dying.  Myself I'm just scared I won't die happy and fufilled.  But I'm also young
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:22:24 AM EDT
[#9]
No, but I hope that I don't die due to something dumb....like accidentally impaling myself with a pencil, because I tripped while running with one in my hand..
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:25:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Almost punched my ticket a couple times. Violently.
I was able to make peace.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:28:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I have accepted that I will die some day, and that when it is my time, it is my time. I wouldn't go seeking my own death, but i often times get curious as to what it is like. I don't think I fear death, and I often think that I would face death without fear or qualms, but I could be wrong. Who knows until they actually face death for real?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:29:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can each have your own galaxy. There's at least a couple dozen out there.

I don't fear death itself. I could use the break. It would be great to have some advance notice, though, so I could sell off or give away my stuff, close accounts, clear my browser cache, and most importantly make sure there's a good home for my dog. I don't want to leave a mess for my family members to have to slog through.

In the bigger sense of confronting my own mortality and wondering if I've lived a good life and all that, I'm not too concerned about it. I know my best years were a long time ago and I'm grateful for many of the opportunities I've had and proud of a few things I've done, and I don't have some list of unfinished business.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:32:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm amazed I made it this far.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:34:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got the beetus, given family history, I'd bet cancer will get me first.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:37:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I don't fear death itself. I could use the break. It would be great to have some advance notice, though, so I could sell off or give away my stuff, close accounts, clear my browser cache, and most importantly make sure there's a good home for my dog. I don't want to leave a mess for my family members to have to slog through.

In the bigger sense of confronting my own mortality and wondering if I've lived a good life and all that, I'm not too concerned about it. I know my best years were a long time ago and I'm grateful for many of the opportunities I've had and proud of a few things I've done, and I don't have some list of unfinished business.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then you've done it right.

May we all feel the same when our time comes, be it tomorrow, or ten thousand years from now.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:37:52 AM EDT
[#16]
There are far worse things than dying.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:41:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Fear it? Hell, some days that's all I have to look forward to.

At least I won't have to keep up the charade of putting one foot of this worthless carcass in front of the other every day.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:45:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't fear death I fear ending up where death would have been the better option.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:07:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I do not fear death nor do i welcome it.  I do not wish to depart until my son is capable of being a man himself, although i would prefer to watch him have a family and kids of his own.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:18:08 AM EDT
[#20]
No,as long as i dont get burned alive chained to a swing set im ok with it
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:27:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
shit happens...
View Quote

This,I have dodged Mr. Death 3 times now.I don't fear,but I sure as hell ain't going looking for.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:29:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Strangely enough, after my dad died four years ago, the thought of dying doesn't bother me as much.

Can't explain it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:36:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I almost got killed tons of times overseas (and undersea).

I fear boredom.

It's the only thing that truly worries me.  Being bored.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:38:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I fear not meeting my obligations thru my own stupidity, this prevents me from, say, doing 140 mph on the highway. Or breaking any other law on the books, that WILL be enforced at gunpoint. which is any law, in the end.

I fear the need for me to give my life to the greater good.

One day I fear the balance will move from the former to the latter. It can happen in the blink of an eye, think rescuing a baby from a burning car. If I die, just hope it's fast, not say bleeding out thru a leg artery from a puny 9mm because I went out to dinner too close to an urban youth center.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:01:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:21:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's not being dead that sucks; it's *getting* dead that does.
View Quote

Exactly.

If it happens I want it to happen quick. I don't want to lay around gurgling for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:29:03 AM EDT
[#27]
i am 24, and when i was 7 i was told i probably wouldn't live to be 8, turns out it wasn't cancer.  

am i afraid of the medical procedures used to keep us alive? YES

am i afraid of the affect my death would have on the people i care about?  HELL YES

am i afraid of dying ? HELL NO
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I fear old age more than I fear death. I hope we find a cure for aging before I get too old.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#29]
I Don't want to die but all death is certain.

I've been close a few times and everytime I made peace with death.

So no I'm not.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:55:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Not really. I'm old and tired.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:56:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I've never really "feared" death, but perhaps dreaded it when I was younger.

I'm in my early 50's now, kids are grown and I'm a Christian.  

Not only do I not fear death, there is somewhat of an anxious awaiting.  
I'm confident in my place after death so there's nothing to fear.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:58:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I like to think I'm not. But who knows.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:10:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I long for the day I finally get to meet God.

I know Christ so I know I'm going to be ok.

With that said, I sometimes fear the act of death and the pain and suffering associated with it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:11:50 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't fear death and never have.

My concern is for my kids and wife being taken care of after I am gone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:21:04 AM EDT
[#36]
30yr old male here.

Do I fear death? Overall I would say no. Do I fear judgment day...I think we (who believe in an all powerful being that will one day judge us) would be fools to not? IMHO from MY life experiences fearing death is only more likely to get you killed. ( For the smart ass out there, this does not mean to ignore danger and act carelessly. )

"In your last breath, will you have accepted your life as is, honestly and completely"
Does it matter? I will say that after my first born arrived, I started to calm down.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:24:29 AM EDT
[#37]
You only live as long as God lets you.   He has a purpose for you and if you are still alive, you have not completed that purpose.   So keep going.   Thank the Lord every day for still being here.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You only live as long as God lets you.   He has a purpose for you and if you are still alive, you have not completed that purpose.   So keep going.   Thank the Lord every day for still being here.
View Quote

Couldn't have said it better. I will hate to leave my family and friends behind, but don't fear death as it is inevitable. Some people die in horrible and painful ways though, so sometimes that thought scares me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Yes.  I am having one hell of a ride here.  Ain't no one ever had or will ever have more fun than I am.  Gonna really suck for the ride to come to an end.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't know for sure but I go through phases where I don't want to die.  I literally get depressed because I know one day I will, but I don't feel ready.  I'm only 26.
View Quote

This but then other times it's just something that is going to happen.

As long as I don't die in a porta shitter or at work, life was good.

I worry more about family dieing, that's what really gets depressing. I'm 34
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#41]
It's the getting dead in a slow, painful way I don't look forward to.  Since I don't know that's how it will happen, I prefer to live each day one at a time.  I hope if I get to a place where life holds nothing but pain I will have what it takes to end it myself.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#42]
When I joined the Marines as an enlisted man at 20 and during the Vietnam war I reconciled myself to not living another decade and perhaps dying much sooner than that and very likely violently.  Such reconciliations transform consciousness.

Now, at 63 I live each day on what I consider to be borrowed time.  I'm just marching in place now.

I died long ago.

LF
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#43]
I've gotten close to punching my ticket a few times. My biggest fear is suffering before death. I'm not sure I'd like to watch myself bleed out either. But as far as death goes, I'm not worried at all. I know where I'm going.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Absolutely I fear death.

That's why I carry a gun almost everywhere with me.  That's why I don't try out one of those flying squirrel suits.

I fear the death of those I love even more.

It's why I place their life above my own.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#45]
I got diagnosed with cancer two years ago. After surgery and what not they were able to get most of it, but not all. I will never be in remission or cured. Eventually, the cancer will win out against my me and my doctors.

The process of my death, assuming that it's cancer that kills me and not a cocaine fueled orgy in Vegas, will be a long and painful process. I've given the matter some thought and determined that there are a few other ways I'd like to leave this mortal coil.

In the meantime everything is under control and I have the upper hand. As such I will continue to go about my life.

But yeah, I've given the matter some thought.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Odd.

I carry a gun simply because I hate the prospect of being disrespected, defeated and, most importantly, made to feel helpless by a younger, stronger or more determined thief, mugger or assaulter.

I've gone this far without learning helplessness.  I'm determined to go to my grave without learning it, too.

LF
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Actually NO! There is no such thing as death to a born again believer in Jesus Christ.

1The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I got diagnosed with cancer two years ago. After surgery and what not they were able to get most of it, but not all. I will never be in remission or cured. Eventually, the cancer will win out against my me and my doctors.

The process of my death, assuming that it's cancer that kills me and not a cocaine fueled orgy in Vegas, will be a long and painful process. I've given the matter some thought and determined that there are a few other ways I'd like to leave this mortal coil.

In the meantime everything is under control and I have the upper hand. As such I will continue to go about my life.

But yeah, I've given the matter some thought.
View Quote

Two very simple and utterly painless ways, 1) carbon monoxide from auto exhaust and 2) OD on benzodiazpenes and a bottle of vodka.  Both simply put you to sleep and your respiration ceases after a while.

Oh, one thing though.  If you have life insurance and want the death proceeds to be paid the named beneficiary make sure 1) your policy is owned longer than the suicide clause period (generally two years), 2) that you have in no way misrepresented anything in the application for life insurance that will survive the misrepresentation clause (generally two years) and 3) that you aren't committing a felony during the act of suicide.  

All three will invalidate the policy and result in no payment of death benefit.

LF
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Shit, I welcome death...
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't know that I fear it as much as I think I would at this point in my life, but I sure do think about it a lot. Most all of the time, in fact. I'm just scared that there will be too many things left unsaid or misunderstood by those I leave behind.

Like some of the more ahem, "mature" members here (I'm 63), I fear for the future for my family. I've made so many mistakes in my life, and I just want the best for them, but knowing I could have done so much better just eats at me all the time. I've always put them first, but damn, I've made some poor decisions.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top