Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2015 9:01:23 PM EDT
I need a dash cam. What works best for less than $200?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Was hoping someone would spin off that thread, In
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_46/397378__Dash_cams_and_Black_Box_vehicle_cams.html

I got a G1W-CB and am very happy with it except twice it shut off when hitting some VERY rough potholes.  Still trying to see if it was the power cable wiggling or something inside the camera.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Interested as well!

What features should we be looking for in one?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_46/397378__Dash_cams_and_Black_Box_vehicle_cams.html

I got a G1W-CB and am very happy with it except twice it shut off when hitting some VERY rough potholes.  Still trying to see if is was the power cable wiggling or something inside the camera.
View Quote

Thanks for the thread.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Ost as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a G1W, not bad for $45 when I bought it last year. Has survived being in the car for 2 SC summers so far. Only issue with it is when facing direct sunlight, the image darkens a good bit, so you can miss out on important details.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#7]
in. i'm looking for a basic one with gps/speedometer functionality.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#8]
In the market myself. I've been eyeing the falcon zero f170. $140 and comes with a SD card. I've heard the night vision isn't that great, but I also heard the same about dash cams that are 4X the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Zero-F170-Tracking-Customized/dp/B00SGXUUTO

This vid kinda lengthy and dude is kinda dorky, but he shows alot of this cameras features and capabilities.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one, bought it from amazon for $85.00. It's a Rexing F9, 2.7" LCD, 1080P, 170 degree wide angle, with G-Sensor, night vision (the led bulb illuminates for NV in bright inside the vehicle, but night time video is very clear with it off), motion detection. Rexing
F9 2.7" LCD FHD 1080p 170° Wide Angle Car Dashboard Camera Recorder
Dash Cam with G-Sensor, WDR, Night Vision, Motion Detection.

Knowing what I know now, my next one will have GPS, it's nice to have the MPH in case you get  speeding ticket. Other than not having the GPS, the Rexing F9 does a pretty damn good job. I bought the 32 Gig Micro SD with the camera for under $100.00. Also going to go with both front and rear camera's next time.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I got two of these  

Great HD video, very small form factor, very discreet.  It is a well reviewed unit, I really like it.

As opposed to an earlier poster, I made sure to get one without GPS.  If there is an accident, I figure the last thing I need is for my speed to be an issue.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#11]
anyone running a front and rear camera from 1 unit?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ost as well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a G1W only on the front and I have no complaints.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Some one mentioned that the G1W C did well in the heat, no battery to explode.  $70 on Amazon today.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I got two of these  

Great HD video, very small form factor, very discreet.  It is a well reviewed unit, I really like it.

As opposed to an earlier poster, I made sure to get one without GPS.  If there is an accident, I figure the last thing I need is for my speed to be an issue.
View Quote

The gps can be switched off, on most units. I have heard stories of insurance companies putting someone at fault (who wouldn't have been without the gps) because they were going 42 mph in a 40, or because they were speeding 5-10 minutes before the crash. I don't know if that has some meat to it, or if it's just exaggerated by the internets.

About 15 years ago i was stopped at a light, and an old lady across the street turned into me when the light turned green. She swore up and down that I was speeding.  This intersection was  50 ft at most, and I made it less than halfway. The cops said if she could prove i was speeding, i would get a speeding ticket, but she would still be at fault. However,dash cams weren't really a thing back then, and police don't really get to determine who is at fault, the insurance companies do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought one after seeing all the wreck videos here at GD.   I'm hoping to avoid liability by proving it's the other guy's fault.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Being in AZ, do NOT get one with a battery. It will eventually rupture or just die from the heat. No matter what the temperature ratings are. That is, unless you're in a cooler climate like Flag. Get something with a capacitor instead - especially if you're in one of the hotter cities of AZ.

We have had a lot of luck with the Street Guardian SG9665GC. Great daytime and nighttime footage and has GPS capabilities (you don't have to use it if you don't want to). There is a lot of technical support available on dashcamtalk.com where the supplier regularly posts and so does the guy from Street Guardian involved with its development. There's a thread where people would comment saying something is wrong or broken and those guys bend over backwards to help them out. There's a coupon code that will bring the price to just under $200 after shipping. My finace has this and loves it. Once my current $80 camera with shitty video quality dies I plan to buy the same one.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#18]
This subject interests me.  OST
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a G1W, the screen shit out after a week.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#20]
http://drivewatchcamera.com/product/drivewatch-380g/

promo code REDDIT15 for $15 off.

GPS Coordinates and speed overlayed on the video.

Uses SD cards, need a class 10.

Uses a capacitor rather than battery. (better for surviving hot cars)

I just bought one, has not arrived yet.

Day Sample

Night Sample

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Is there a mount that attached to a rear view mirror or the post to the rear view mirror?
Top Top