Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Even adjusted for cost of living difference my local cops here would need a 60% raise to be on par with what I made in NY and my department was the lowest paid in the area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Many departments in the south literally pay poverty wages.

Even adjusted for cost of living difference my local cops here would need a 60% raise to be on par with what I made in NY and my department was the lowest paid in the area.
Do you see a connection between how financially sound a state is and how generous it is with public employee pay and social safety net payments?  You moved to Ga...so did a lot of jobs from NY....how long do you think the public sector pay will continue to increase when everyone leaves?  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do you see a connection between how financially sound a state is and how generous it is with public employee pay and social safety net payments?  You moved to Ga...so did a lot of jobs from NY....how long do you think the public sector pay will continue to increase when everyone leaves?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas seems to be doing pretty good and there are departments there that pay thousands more than I was making in NYC plus they have way better benefits and retirement.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The two cops I used to train judo and bjj with were both big believers in payback. You could tell they both thought payback was fucking sweet. I like it to.

I have no doubt this black lives matter shit is going to have a cost in black lives.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
What are the age requirements for new hires?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hmmmm. So you are saying that there is not a degree out there that would benefit you in your career and give you the opportunity for advancement??  You know, something that would get you more than $120 a month ?

I would bet you there is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Back when I was a deputy, the starting pay was 11 bucks an hour..........I got an extra dollar because I had a degree and went to the corrections academy...........pay didn't change a lot in the 4 1/2 years I was there

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is pathetic.

There's a LEO here who's posted in the past that he gets paid $11 and change an hour.

The State of Florida will give me about an extra $120 a month for a degree. Let's see... your average degree costs around $20,000 (low end) now... so that means the extra $120 a month will mean that in 14 years I might pay off that student debt. But that isn't counting the costs of books and the interest of course on the student loan.  

Yeah... fuck that. HS Diploma for me!

Hmmmm. So you are saying that there is not a degree out there that would benefit you in your career and give you the opportunity for advancement??  You know, something that would get you more than $120 a month ?

I would bet you there is.

When the State of Florida will pay someone more for having a degree in Nuclear Physics versus Underwater Basket Weaving... maybe. But right now for me... no, a degree will not help in my career. I actually got to where I am due to experience and knowledge in the field. I beat guys with degrees in Criminal Justice, Homeland Security, Accounting, Business Management, etc.... Hell, someone in my agency has a Masters and while on paper he might make more than me. I'm not paying off student debt. I own my home free and clear, same with my truck.

I'm investing my money into different venues so it grows and when I reach retirement age, the State Pension will be a drop in the bucket compared to what I'll have on the private side.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Say what you will about unions, I would never have worked in LE without one. Shit, the city used to fuck us around all the time, and we had a union.  

When I read the horror stories of how guys in other departments get fucked over, I often think, "Hmmm, maybe we didn't have it that bad."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted: Not all LE is Union. A good chunk in Florida are "At Will" aand can be fired anytime. Especially with the Sheriff agencies, when Bubba is elected into office and Billy Bob leaves. Bubba usually fires everyone and brings his folks on board.

Say what you will about unions, I would never have worked in LE without one. Shit, the city used to fuck us around all the time, and we had a union.  

When I read the horror stories of how guys in other departments get fucked over, I often think, "Hmmm, maybe we didn't have it that bad."

Yup... PBA has treated me well. I never got fucked on overtime, sick time, etc....

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Florida seems to be doing well... hell, the retirement system is stable and actually growing in funds. Many agencies in South Florida pay into the $100k range once you get some seniority. They ain't broke and penniless.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#9]
IT'S OBAMA'S FAULT.

For the record......I would NOT want my son to become an LEO.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

IT'S OBAMA'S FAULT.

For the record......I would NOT want my son to become an LEO.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
Shit.... neither would I.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

NYPD recently saw a 17.8% drop in applicants and another nearby department recently had a hiring exam and their number of applicants went down 37%.

The NYPD guy in the story obviously hasn't looked into the history of his department, it was way more dangerous in the past.

I think a lot of it also has to do with many of these departments paying crap. If you pay them, they will come.
View Quote
True. People will do a dangerous job if the pay and benefits justify it.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That officer should not have that haircut, it accentuates his enormous fivehead.
View Quote

Whomever originated the fauxihawk should be pistol whipped!

* As I read more posts I recalled that in the late 1970s when I started my career, minimum wage was under $3.00 an hour and was earning just under $6.00 an hour ($12,500 a year).
To put that in prospective... now minimum wage is $7.25 an hour so that equates to about $14.00 an hour ($29k a year).  I hope the starting salary for a street cop is more than that now.

When my son was about 14 years old, out of the blue he said "Dad I really respect what you do, but I don't want to be a cop."  My response was "That is the correct answer!  LEO is not a well respected job to many. I would rather see you have a better paid, more respectable profession... like a criminal defense attorney or a drug dealer!"
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Texas seems to be doing pretty good and there are departments there that pay thousands more than I was making in NYC plus they have way better benefits and retirement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live in Plano. This is where you want ro be a cop

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is where you want ro be a cop  
View Quote

Nowhere is where I want to be a cop.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know why anyone would get into this now.  Go back to school in something more worthwhile.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't know why anyone would get into this now.  Go back to school in something more worthwhile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Many here agree

Quoted:
I would plant dope on my daughter to DQ her from being a cop, were she ever so foolish.

Dead. Fucking. Serious.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Many departments in the south literally pay poverty wages.  You can work full time and still be eligible for food stamps.

Plus salary caps.  How would you like to know that at no point in a lifetime of work, could you make more than 56k a year...that's the cap at a local dept back home.  Standard pay is 28-36k a year.  

No way...no how.  Not for double that.
View Quote

in 1999 my pay was $14400 a year Salary with a 55hr work week...worked two other side jobs...no over time but rather "Comp" time that I could never take and cashed in when I quit...

the same department starts at $19,000.00 a year now....so even if you figure that out at a 40 hr work week it is $9.13 an hour
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This would be like a vacation. Can you handle giving tickets to milfs?

Though we have some trash that has moved in. They are punks not hardcore fuckers.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In 1999 my pay was $14400 a year Salary with a 55hr work week...worked two other side jobs...no over time but rather "Comp" time that I could never take and cashed in when I quit...

the same department starts at $19,000.00 a year now....so even if you figure that out at a 40 hr work week it is $9.13 an hour
View Quote

Good lord.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

When I got out of law enforcement from a department that paid relatively well, I went to work at a Texaco Refinery as a laborer.  

I more than doubled my salary.

View Quote
Are they hiring ?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Good lord.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In 1999 my pay was $14400 a year Salary with a 55hr work week...worked two other side jobs...no over time but rather "Comp" time that I could never take and cashed in when I quit... so $5.03 an hour

Good lord.

and it is one of the higher paying Sheriffs Departments in the State of Oklahoma... 4th or 5th

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Will the police still vote D for that union cash money?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Will the police still vote D for that union cash money?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Worked for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah... fuck that. HS Diploma for me!

Worked for me.

ditto
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Usually 21
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#29]

I see what you did there.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Summer of the Shark sensationalism.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
it was way more dangerous in the past.
View Quote

you mean way back in the good ole days of the 70's and 80's, when most cops were "shot out of a cannon" 'nam vets? the good ole days when nyc was on fire? when saying i am going to miami meant i am probably going to die? man i miss the good ole days.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I retired yesterday after 27 years. My decision to do was partly based on recent events. Sadly I don't see any improvement until the next election.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You mean way back in the good ole days of the 70's and 80's, when most cops were "shot out of a cannon" 'nam vets? the good ole days when nyc was on fire? when saying I am going to Miami meant I am probably going to die? man I miss the good ole days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it was way more dangerous in the past.

You mean way back in the good ole days of the 70's and 80's, when most cops were "shot out of a cannon" 'nam vets? the good ole days when nyc was on fire? when saying I am going to Miami meant I am probably going to die? man I miss the good ole days.

Yeah, back when the FALN was blowing cops up with bombs and the BLA was assassinating cops.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Time for the county sheriffs to start deputizing all their resident conceal carry permit holders, the willing and able anyway.

Maybe do an interview or screening, minimal PT test, etc.

Hold it at a local high school track facility in the evenings for a week or two.

I'd love to hear the libtards and our gov supported terrorist organizations scream like bled out sheep over that one.

eta yes even citizen donut and whack-a-mole can volunteer if it means another body and gun to disrupt the bastardz and their murdering social engineering.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Usually 21
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Usually 21

19 here (or it was, not sure about now. funny when your mom or dad have to buy your duty gun before the academy)
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I retired yesterday after 27 years. My decision to do was partly based on recent events. Sadly I don't see any improvement until the next election.
View Quote

congrats.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

19 here (or it was, not sure about now. funny when your mom or dad have to buy your duty gun before the academy)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Usually 21

I was out of the academy and walking a footpost before I could legally drink.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Amen.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen.  

So say we all.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If anything this will hopefully filter out the useless ones that you can't count on for help when you need it.
View Quote

Ha!

This crap is manufacturing them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Starting is $57k and they require a 4 year.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Ha!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If anything this will hopefully filter out the useless ones that you can't count on for help when you need it.

Ha!

This.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
don't worry the feds are more then willing to lend a hand its all part of the plan.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Is it me but I feel like the days of anarchy are coming
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

When I got out of law enforcement from a department that paid relatively well, I went to work at a Texaco Refinery as a laborer.  

View Quote
Yeah, but that was back when black powder revolvers were new wonderful contraptions and the steam locomotive just got economical.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's all part of the administration's plan for a Federal police force.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
19 in Florida

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Recently had a interested (or at least formerly interested) applicant send me an e-mail to be removed from consideration (LE hiring).  

His reason?  "It simply isn't worth it anymore."

Without sufficient applicants, standards will be lowered.  Patrols must be done, squads must be manned....not a good trend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Usually 21

Co-Worker of mine started at FSU PD. He was 19 and would arrest college kids for underage drinking.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yeah, but that was back when black powder revolvers were new wonderful contraptions and the steam locomotive just got economical.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no call for that sort of exaggeration.

There were some cartridge conversions in use already I'm pretty sure.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Recently had a interested (or at least formerly interested) applicant send me an e-mail to be removed from consideration (LE hiring).  

His reason?  "It simply isn't worth it anymore."

Without sufficient applicants, standards will be lowered.  Patrols must be done, squads must be manned....not a good trend.
View Quote
Bah!

Department Standards and Policies for how many are needed for patrol can all be rewritten. My first agency did that.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top