Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 9/2/2015 4:25:19 PM EDT

Fox News

Police departments face a recruiting shortage amid a growing anti-cop mood that some fear has taken the pride out of peacekeeping and put targets on the backs of the men and women in blue.

Open calls for the killing of police have been followed by assassinations, including last week's murder in Texas of a Harris County sheriff's deputy. Instead of dialing back the incendiary rhetoric, groups including "Black Lives Matter" have instead doubled down at demonstrations with chants of "Pigs in a blanket, fry me like bacon." Public safety officials fear the net effect has been to demonize police, and diminish the job.

"It's a lot harder to sell now," Jeff Roorda, business manager of the St. Louis Police Officers Association and former state representative, told FoxNews.com. "This is a very real phenomenon."

"We're sitting ducks. We're in these uniforms, brightly colored cars and there's nothing we can do."

- Sgt. Delroy Burton, DC Police Union in Washington

Roorda, who spoke in defense of police in the aftermath of the Ferguson shooting, said protesters took to Twitter to promote a #KillRoorda hashtag.

"You no longer just have to worry about your life while in uniform," he said. "Now you have to be worried about the well-being of your family," he said.

Roorda said the new academy class continues to be delayed and the police force loses about double the amount of officers per year than in the past.

"I saw all this anti-cop propaganda and I was like, 'Who needs this?'” said Antonio, a New Yorker who asked that only his first name be used. The 32-year-old had applied and been accepted into the NYPD academy, but withdrew his candidacy amid the cop-bashing climate sweeping the country.

Some law enforcement officials believe President Obama has fanned the flames by not denouncing the movement more unequivocally, although he did personally call the widow of Goforth and has condemned violence against police.

"President Obama has breathed life into this ugly movement," Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke told "Fox & Friends." "And it is time now for good, law-abiding Americans to rise up. We now have to counter this slime, this filth coming out of these cop haters."

Sgt. Delroy Burton, chairman of the DC Police Union in Washington, compared the current treatment of police to veterans returning from the Vietnam War.

"We have to fight the bad guys, and the policymakers go unnoticed," he said.

Burton, who was born in Jamaica and is a former U.S. Marine, said his police force is about 131 officers understaffed and has seen nearly 600 officers resign in the past 19 months -- a number he said is unheard of.

Yup..... I'm seeing folks not wanting to put in for the job just like I don't see folks want to enlist into the Armed Forces. Sure, we still have folks enlisting but with all the bullshit in the military right now those numbers are going down. Especially with the draw down and the way the rank and file have been treated and all the blood and sweat shed overseas appears to be for nothing. Same is happening with LE right now. Not as many people want to wear the shield.

Rough times ahead folks.... get ready for crime to go up. On Duty LE will be less proactive and crime will go up and to further cause issues, when they retire their slots won't be refilled with new hires.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow! What does the good sheriff mean by "its time for good Americans to rise up" Pretty sure I would get my ass shot if I rose up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#2]
NYPD recently saw a 17.8% drop in applicants and another nearby department recently had a hiring exam and their number of applicants went down 37%.
The NYPD guy in the story obviously hasn't looked into the history of his department, it was way more dangerous in the past.

I think a lot of it also has to do with many of these departments paying crap. If you pay them, they will come.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]
don't worry the feds are more then willing to lend a hand its all part of the plan.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow! What does the good sheriff mean by "its time for good Americans to rise up"? Pretty sure I would get my ass shot if I rose up
View Quote

that's the point.

if they can make enough of these and take out the ones who are like fuck this a few at a time and paint them as extremists.

when it gets fo time everyone already fent.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
That officer should not have that haircut, it accentuates his enormous fivehead.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The brown shirts will fill the gap

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Attack the profession politically, cut pay and benefits. In turn get less qualified and fewer applicants that do a poorer job that then can be attacked politically and have funding cut.

Wash rince repeat, change the profession if you will (weather you're D or R) but the game plan is the same.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

NYPD recently saw a 17.8% drop in applicants and another nearby department recently had a hiring exam and their number of applicants went down 37%.

The NYPD guy in the story obviously hasn't looked into the history of his department, it was way more dangerous in the past.

I think a lot of it also has to do with many of these departments paying crap. If you pay them, they will come.
View Quote

Well, money always can motivate someone.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Many departments in the south literally pay poverty wages.  You can work full time and still be eligible for food stamps.

Plus salary caps.  How would you like to know that at no point in a lifetime of work, could you make more than 56k a year...that's the cap at a local dept back home.  Standard pay is 28-36k a year.  

No way...no how.  Not for double that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The last time NYPD had a shortage of applicants the starting pay was raised and the apllicants came right back. Give them a good raise in the contract that's in negotiations right now and I'm sure people will sign up again.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#11]
And yet where I live it's hard as hell getting on the job.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That officer should not have that haircut, it accentuates his enormous fivehead.
View Quote

Some long false lashes would fill the gap nicely.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Many departments in the south literally pay poverty wages.  You can work full time and still be eligible for food stamps.

Plus salary caps.  How would you like to know that at no point in a lifetime of work, could you make more than 56k a year...that's the cap at a local dept back home.  Standard pay is 28-36k a year.  

View Quote

Florida Highway Patrol pays their guys at $31K..... $37K in Miami. Miami, a town where a one bedroom apartment costs $1,300 a month in rent alone. Hell, in North Florida some of the cities pay their guys $26K a year.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#14]
"Brightly colored cars"? More like camouflaged. Sometimes you can't even read "POLICE" on the side unless you're at the right angle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Sounds like the beginning of a good time.

Anyway, it appears that all this manufactured rage has created a deficit that can only be replenished by instituting a national police force. Big surprise right?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow! What does the good sheriff mean by "its time for good Americans to rise up" Pretty sure I would get my ass shot if I rose up.
View Quote

Let a hundred blossoms flower.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Many departments in the south literally pay poverty wages.
View Quote

Even adjusted for cost of living difference my local cops here would need a 60% raise to be on par with what I made in NY and my department was the lowest paid in the area.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

We're having a bitch of a time filling classes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Florida Highway Patrol pays their guys at $31K..... $37K in Miami. Miami, a town where a one bedroom apartment costs $1,300 a month in rent alone. Hell, in North Florida some of the cities pay their guys $26K a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is pathetic.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

"Brightly colored cars"? More like camouflaged. Sometimes you can't even read "POLICE" on the side unless you're at the right angle.
View Quote

Yeah... camouflaged.

Not all cop cars are like this.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#21]
So are some of you inferring that with the outstanding job the TSA has done you don't trust a national police force?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's voluntary, -nobody is forcing them to choose that line of work.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That is pathetic.
View Quote

There's a LEO here who's posted in the past that he gets paid $11 and change an hour.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

So are some of you inferring that with the outstanding job the TSA has done you don't trust a national police force?
View Quote
Hey, they have an Honor Guard!

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No one forced anyone to enlist either and I know plenty of stories where members of the Armed Forces are on welfare benefits.

Pay shit wages.... get shit candidates.

Right now the State of Florida is having a shortage of officers in South Florida due to shitty pay. Either their officers and agents do two years and jump to a local like Miami Dade PD for more pay or they transfer North ASAP where the cost of living is lower.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh, half of American Citizens that work make less than 56K a year……. some WAY less. Some in dangerous or life shortening jobs too.

They don't get pensions, have a union to protect them when they fuck up, don't receive any "perks", etc.

Many have spent considerable money and have college degrees and still don't make 56K a year and never will……. unless they further their education and/or change jobs/careers.

56K a year is over $25.00 per hour and is above the average income for an American worker.

I don't know what the education requirements are for the dept you mentioned back home.  If it is a HS diploma only, 56K is REALLY good money for someone who does not have any kind of college degree.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#30]
It's all part of the administration's plan for a Federal police force.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm sick of BLM and their communist/anarchist anti-police agitator allies. We're all stuck footing the bill for this insanity with increased crime rates and decreased quality of life.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#32]
There is a backup plan of course
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Meh, half of American Citizens that work make less than 56K a year……. some WAY less. Some in dangerous or life shortening jobs too.

They don't get pensions, have a union to protect them when they fuck up, don't receive any "perks", etc.

Many have spent considerable money and have college degrees and still don't make 56K a year and never will……. unless they further their education and/or change jobs/careers.

56K a year is over $25.00 per hour and is above the average income for an American worker.

I don't know what the education requirements are for the dept you mentioned back home.  If it is a HS diploma only, 56K is REALLY good money for someone who does not have any kind of college degree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not all LE is Union. A good chunk in Florida are "At Will" aand can be fired anytime. Especially with the Sheriff agencies, when Bubba is elected into office and Billy Bob leaves. Bubba usually fires everyone and brings his folks on board.

Some of the agencies in Florida that are Unionized have collective bargaining but they can't strike, walk off the job, etc.... Also strangely the agencies with Unions are usually the more professional agencies with less issues of corruption and abuse of power.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Many have spent considerable money and have college degrees and still don't make 56K a year and never will…….
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Do TSA get guns?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

My sleepy little New England town pays the guy that runs the recycling station more than they pay new hires for the PD.

They come. Get some training and experience. And leave to another jurisdiction with better pay. It's fucking ridiculous.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My sleepy little New England town pays the guy that runs the recycling station more than they pay new hires for the PD.
They come. Get some training and experience. And leave to another jurisdiction with better pay. It's fucking ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you pay them, they will come.

That's what's happening with Atlanta PD. Not surprising when the department just next door pays $20k more.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Many have spent considerable money and have college degrees and still don't make 56K a year and never will…….

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Pics/knight.jpg

You left out the part ". unless they further their education and/or change jobs/careers."

Do you know how many college graduates with shit degrees are working at McDonalds, selling shoes, working as a laborer in a factory, etc?

I know good nurses, lab techs, etc. that don't make 56K a year and last time I checked, they have college degrees.

Just say'in, if all you have is a HS degree, don't bitch at 56K a year…… AND, if you need or want more money, this is still AMERICA…… get off your ass and do something about it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It's all part of the administration's plan for a Federal police force.
View Quote
If the Fed "Nationalize" LE across the board.... it is going to be interesting. Pay for one thing.

If a Wakulla County Deputy makes $30,000 and a NJSP Trooper earns $70,000. Is the Federal Government going to bump up the pay of the Wakulla Deputy or lower the pay of the NJSP Trooper? What about standards in training? Different States have different requirements. What about age? The Feds have a mandatory retirement age and hire date. What about standards with equipment like firearms, uniforms, vehicles, radios, vests, etc? What about retirement pensions and benefits? Will those carry over to the Federal system? Will years be converted? What about some agencies that offer better benefits than what the Feds offer? Will they take a hit?

Or will the Federal Government simply disband State, County, and Local agencies and hire them all as new recruits? What will happen to the shortage of officers while everyone is going through training? Where will the massive amounts of hires be trained?

What about various differences in laws between jurisdictions? How will a Nationalized Federal Police Force enforce that? It is legal for me to own a SBR in Florida but not in California for example? Will Federal Agencies start enforcing State law?

The Feds taking over local LE will not happen for those reasons above. It will be a bigger cluster fuck than you know.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Back when I was a deputy, the starting pay was 11 bucks an hour..........I got an extra dollar because I had a degree and went to the corrections academy...........pay didn't change a lot in the 4 1/2 years I was there

Quoted:

There's a LEO here who's posted in the past that he gets paid $11 and change an hour.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is pathetic.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#41]

How could this be???

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome to Florida... Florida Highway Patrol, Department of Corrections, Capitol Police, Department of Agriculture Police, and I believe Florida Wildlife Commission all make their new hires sign a two year contract. If the contract is broken then the new hires have to pay the agencies back for training and such. So what happens is everyone does their two years and then jump ship to a better paying agency.

Some places are fine with that and at least they figure they'll always have new hires because someone will want to get their foot in the door.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Back when I was a deputy, the starting pay was 11 bucks an hour..........I got an extra dollar because I had a degree and went to the corrections academy...........pay didn't change a lot in the 4 1/2 years I was there

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is pathetic.

The State of Florida will give me about an extra $120 a month for a degree. Let's see... your average degree costs around $20,000 (low end) now... so that means the extra $120 a month will mean that in 14 years I might pay off that student debt. But that isn't counting the costs of books and the interest of course on the student loan.

Yeah... fuck that. HS Diploma for me!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Worked for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Luckily I paid for my degree as I went, so I had no debt afterwards..............but yeah, the extra wont even dent that kind of debt

Quoted:
The State of Florida will give me about an extra $120 a month for a degree. Let's see... your average degree costs around $20,000 (low end) now... so that means the extra $120 a month will mean that in 14 years I might pay off that student debt. But that isn't counting the costs of books and the interest of course on the student loan.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
That is pathetic.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
That is pathetic.

Hmmmm. So you are saying that there is not a degree out there that would benefit you in your career and give you the opportunity for advancement??  You know, something that would get you more than $120 a month ?

I would bet you there is.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, more dangerous indeed. They also were not second guessed to the same level. I'm all for transparency and code wot conduct that keep LEO's in check. I get upset, however, when the Marilyn Mosby's of this world witch hunt guys doing their job just to satiate a group of people acting like wild animals burning down their own city.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes, more dangerous indeed. They also were not second guessed to the same level. I'm all for transparency and code wot conduct that keep LEO's in check. I get upset, however, when the Marilyn Mosby's of this world witch hunt guys doing their job just to satiate a group of people acting like wild animals burning down their own city.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NYPD was just as bad, if not worse with that, over 20 years ago with David Dinkins.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#49]
God Bless all of you who are still out there, but I am glad I retired in 2013.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted: Not all LE is Union. A good chunk in Florida are "At Will" aand can be fired anytime. Especially with the Sheriff agencies, when Bubba is elected into office and Billy Bob leaves. Bubba usually fires everyone and brings his folks on board.

View Quote
Say what you will about unions, I would never have worked in LE without one. Shit, the city used to fuck us around all the time, and we had a union.

When I read the horror stories of how guys in other departments get fucked over, I often think, "Hmmm, maybe we didn't have it that bad."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top