I can't even imagine counting the number of rounds in a box of ammo  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same people complaining about FSA would jump on their high horse if they bought 500 rounds of ammo on the EE and only got 499.

When I use the term FSA, I am talking about the people who NEVER bought any StarKist tuna, but will still sign up for this claim, because no proof is required.

That's you.  You, however aren't representative of the other holier than thou schmucks that have and will continue to post in this thread.

And that is exactly what Starkist counted on.  For 5 years.  If you later found out that someone was ripping off members on the EE that you bought a box from, I bet you would go back and count those rounds.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Believe it or not, we purchase Starkist Tuna
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
ETA: If the claims are true and Starkist was intentionally committing fraud, I wonder why they kept underfilling cans a year and a half after the lawsuit was filed.
View Quote

maybe some bean counter did the math and the money they would make off those short cans would more than cover what they would spend on the lawsuit (???)
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Believe it or not, we purchase Starkist Tuna
View Quote

36% market share.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll sign up for them.  I eat tuna (Starkist) all the time.  I have cans of it stacked deep in my kitchen and on shelves in my basement.  I noticed some years ago Starkist tuna looked like they started running it through a grinder.

I like to find store brands that looks like they can slabs of tuna instead of shredding it into little pieces.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Fun with tuna: Take the label from a can of cheap cat food and put it on a StarKist tuna can.  Then eat it in front of your friends.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fun with tuna: Take the label from a can of cheap cat food and put it on a StarKist tuna can.  Then eat it in front of your friends.  
View Quote

Even more fun:  Do it the other way around and see if someone will steal your tuna.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Dammit, I only buy Hill County Fair (HEB) tuna for preps...No tier one Ops tuna for me.

No, I didn't fill out a claim...I may be cheap but not gonna steal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I eat a lot of tuna, and starkist is the only kind I buy. That said I never noticed any being under filled, but fuck em, if they've been trying to rip me off I'll take my free tuna. (fuck the cash)
View Quote

That's because (according the the lawsuit) you were only shorted by fractions of a gram. It's hard to notice.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool.

We only buy Starkist, so I know we've bought way more than one can.

In fact, the $50 in coupons will work just fine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I eat tuna almost daily along with my 4 kids. I go through tuna like no other. This saddens me. $50.00 in tuna doesn't replace the respect and  loyalty I once had for this company.  The emotional damage that has been thrusted upon me is like being stuck in the heart with a molten jagged blade. Now I'm not sure how to fill my tuna void.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wonder how many FSA assholes will sign up for a claim, even if they have never bought a single can of Starkist in their lives - so they can get their "free" $25.
View Quote

Many.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've done it out of sheer boredom, and Federal has a tendency to give you extra ammo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I eat tuna almost daily along with my 4 kids. I go through tuna like no other. This saddens me. $50.00 in tuna doesn't replace the respect and  loyalty I once had for this company.  The emotional damage that has been thrusted upon me is like being stuck in the heart with a molten jagged blade. Now I'm not sure how to fill my tuna void.
View Quote

Bumble Bee Brand.

After all the smoke clears, cash claimants are going to get $1.95 and voucher claimants will get a single dollar off coupon.

Lawyers are the only "winners" in these things.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've done it out of sheer boredom, and Federal has a tendency to give you extra ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's not free money if you truly are a Starkist tuna customer. According to the lawsuit, independent testing showed that Starkist underfilled the 5-ounce containers by as much as 17.3% below the Federally mandated minimum. That means that for every 6 cans you bought, you got less than 5 cans worth of tuna. If you eat a lot of tuna (bodybuilders go through a lot, people tend to put it in CARE packages for deployed troops due to its long shelf life, preppers keep a lot for the same reason), it's very feasible that you handed over $25-50 of your money to Starkist during a five year period and didn't get the product for which you paid.

Looking at Wal-Mart's web site, they list 10-count packages of 5-oz Chunk Light Tuna in water, the least expensive of the products listed in the lawsuit, as costing $7.47. Disregarding tax or the likelihood that prices are higher now than they were in 2009, that's still about 70 cans for $50, or about 14 cans a year for the five year period the suit covers, or about 1 can a month. I know I buy at least 2-4 cans a month. Let's assume I buy 1 can a week, which makes just enough tuna salad for my wife, kids, and I to each have one sandwich each week. Over a five year period, that's 260 cans, or 26 of those 10-packs, which comes out to $194.22 spent on tuna. If those cans are all 17.3% underfilled, instead of getting 1300 ounces of tuna, I would have only received 1075 ounces, or 215 cans worth. Those 45 cans worth of unreceived tuna would be worth $33.62, at $7.47/10. The extra $16.38 would cover sales taxes I spent (9.75% here), the cost of going back to the store to redeem the vouchers, and some punitive damages to inspire Starkist not to do it again. If you go through more than one can a week, or buy the more expensive Albacore, the value of the vouchers versus the money spent during the period of the lawsuit is going to much closer to being equal, or even going to the side of the customer still losing money.

It isn't free money, it's getting back money their customers gave them while being deceived.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not knocking the OP or anyone else in the thread.  On the contrary, thanks for pointing out the lawsuit.  

I've bought Starkist Tuna within the timeframe, but am not much on jumping in on free money just because some lawyer somewhere found a way to make a buck. I'm sure I could type out quite a rant, but figure that just makes me come across as holier than thou. Besides, without lawsuits like this companies would be less likely to adopt ethical business practices.

For those of you who are interested in the claimed facts behind the free $25, here's a link:
https://www.truthinadvertising.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Hendricks-v.-Starkist-Co..pdf

There seems to be pretty good justification for jumping on the money if you so choose. I think I will probably not dilute the honey pot.

ETA: If the claims are true and Starkist was intentionally committing fraud, I wonder why they kept underfilling cans a year and a half after the lawsuit was filed.

It's not free money if you truly are a Starkist tuna customer. According to the lawsuit, independent testing showed that Starkist underfilled the 5-ounce containers by as much as 17.3% below the Federally mandated minimum. That means that for every 6 cans you bought, you got less than 5 cans worth of tuna. If you eat a lot of tuna (bodybuilders go through a lot, people tend to put it in CARE packages for deployed troops due to its long shelf life, preppers keep a lot for the same reason), it's very feasible that you handed over $25-50 of your money to Starkist during a five year period and didn't get the product for which you paid.

Looking at Wal-Mart's web site, they list 10-count packages of 5-oz Chunk Light Tuna in water, the least expensive of the products listed in the lawsuit, as costing $7.47. Disregarding tax or the likelihood that prices are higher now than they were in 2009, that's still about 70 cans for $50, or about 14 cans a year for the five year period the suit covers, or about 1 can a month. I know I buy at least 2-4 cans a month. Let's assume I buy 1 can a week, which makes just enough tuna salad for my wife, kids, and I to each have one sandwich each week. Over a five year period, that's 260 cans, or 26 of those 10-packs, which comes out to $194.22 spent on tuna. If those cans are all 17.3% underfilled, instead of getting 1300 ounces of tuna, I would have only received 1075 ounces, or 215 cans worth. Those 45 cans worth of unreceived tuna would be worth $33.62, at $7.47/10. The extra $16.38 would cover sales taxes I spent (9.75% here), the cost of going back to the store to redeem the vouchers, and some punitive damages to inspire Starkist not to do it again. If you go through more than one can a week, or buy the more expensive Albacore, the value of the vouchers versus the money spent during the period of the lawsuit is going to much closer to being equal, or even going to the side of the customer still losing money.

It isn't free money, it's getting back money their customers gave them while being deceived.

^^^What he said...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#17]
We buy either starkist or the store brand which ever is cheaper at the time.  Eat a couple of cans a week.  Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

maybe some bean counter did the math and the money they would make off those short cans would more than cover what they would spend on the lawsuit (???)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can bet your ass this kind of thing happens all the time....not saying Starkist did on purpose though....but you gotta figure they measure everything because not doing so can increase costs,
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Go through a bunch of tuna, thanks OP.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Overly letigious society? Nah...
I've bought plenty of their tuna and qualify for the deal, but....this is part of what's wrong with this country.  

I could really use some free food though....

Nope, can't bring myself to do it.
SHAME ON YOU TUNA THIEVES!
PEOPLE WHO BUY THEIR TUNA NOW, ARE PAYING FOR YOUR FREE TUNA! WAY TO STICK IT TO THE MAN, WHO WILL ONLY STICK IT TO THE UNKNOWING CONSUMER.
View Quote

bears repeating.

what is this honestly accomplishing?

this is the lawyer equivalent to kicking the kid on the playground thats already down and out.

what happened to "you fucked up, you're human, just don't make it a habit?"
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I think that there are people in GD that would let a disposal company dump toxic waste in the backyard, a bank drain their accounts and pay for repairs under warranty just so they feel like they are not FSA/commie/environmentalists.

Quoted:
Arf GD logic:

Business misrepresents amount of product being sold, tantamount to fraud
Business is sued for perpetrating the fraud, settles the case
And...
Arfcom says you are no better than a welfare leech for recovering your rightfully owed damages

This place really is fucked.  Some of you people are just fucking dumb.  Or trolls. Or you have some kind of high horseman's circle jerk going on where you beat each other off for posting dumb fuck nonsensical replies that make you look like a pompous dicks.  I really don't know.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dammit, I only buy Hill County Fair (HEB) tuna for preps...No tier one Ops tuna for me.

No, I didn't fill out a claim...I may be cheap but not gonna steal.
View Quote

I'm sitting on 20 cans of Starkist tuna on my counter right now, I have more of store brands.  I stock up when on sale.

The cans are marked 5 oz, then 4 oz drained as are the store brands.  If they were only giving 2.5 oz drained they were shorting by a large amount.

Sounds like Starkist was the one stealing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not knocking the OP or anyone else in the thread.  On the contrary, thanks for pointing out the lawsuit.  

I've bought Starkist Tuna within the timeframe, but am not much on jumping in on free money just because some lawyer somewhere found a way to make a buck. I'm sure I could type out quite a rant, but figure that just makes me come across as holier than thou. Besides, without lawsuits like this companies would be less likely to adopt ethical business practices.

For those of you who are interested in the claimed facts behind the free $25, here's a link:
https://www.truthinadvertising.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Hendricks-v.-Starkist-Co..pdf

There seems to be pretty good justification for jumping on the money if you so choose. I think I will probably not dilute the honey pot.

I don't think thats what he's trying to say.  

If you shop at costco once or twice a month and buy their tuna package each month from 2009 to 2014, yea it would add up.

Its the collectivism of OP and GD that say "well its convenient, I guess I get some free.99 tuna"
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#24]
The FSA came right out of the wood work on this one. I visited the comments on a few facebook news pages and people are looking at this saying they don't even eat tuna but just want the free money. Some jack hole is saying to spread the word to others for "free money". This shit is sad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks, OP. We keep 20 cans of Starkist in our preps all the time and rotate them out regularly.  I took the $50.00 credit.  If that makes me FSA, so be it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Done. Thanks OP!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks, OP. We keep 20 cans of Starkist in our preps all the time and rotate them out regularly.  I took the $50.00 credit.  If that makes me FSA, so be it.
View Quote

It doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#29]
thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I actually have no doubt that I've purchased Starkist tuna in that time period (I have a lot of it in my emergency stash, and regularly update) - but I also don't feel comfortable being part of this claim.

But, I have no problem with people who choose to take advantage of this, IF they actually qualify.  I just don't want to personally.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder how many FSA assholes will sign up for a claim, even if they have never bought a single can of Starkist in their lives - so they can get their "free" $25.

I don't even feel right filing a claim after having bought a bunch of Starkist tuna in that time frame. I didn't notice the difference in weight and I wasn't bothered by what I got. It seems shitty to jump on the litigation train when I had no initial objection just for some free tuna while costing them money and enriching attorneys. If I had noticed they were under filling their cans I wouldn't sue. I would just switch brands.

I actually have no doubt that I've purchased Starkist tuna in that time period (I have a lot of it in my emergency stash, and regularly update) - but I also don't feel comfortable being part of this claim.

But, I have no problem with people who choose to take advantage of this, IF they actually qualify.  I just don't want to personally.

Agreed. Starkist apparently chose to defraud us. They screwed up, got caught, and are making amends. I just don't feel the need to take advantage of it when I didn't have a problem with what I bought from them and if I did I had option to buy something else. I just don't get the same "Fuck you, pay me!" attitude about it like some others.

$50 in free tuna would be nice but I don't feel the need to make myself part of a lawsuit to get it. I am actually kind of surprised at how much they are giving out for this though. Usually class action suits seem to pay people out a fraction of what they were likely taken for. I doubt I was shorted $50 worth of tuna though and there were a couple of years in that time frame where I ate lot of tuna.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#31]
That's crazy. I knew nothing of it and bought a ton of it. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Too much trouble. Open a can of King Oscar sardines in front of your 10 yo daughter and her friends over for lunch.

You people are doing this all wrong. A set amount of money has been put aside. It will be divided among however many people who file. The more who file the lower the individual checks/coupons sent out.

The more of the holier than thous who were defrauded file, the FSA who are allergic to tuna are more likely to get SQUAT.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#33]
What gets me is that even when staying within regs, a "5 oz" can need only contain 2.84 oz. of tuna to be legal.  

.gov math.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think that there are people in GD that would let a disposal company dump toxic waste in the backyard, a bank drain their accounts and pay for repairs under warranty just so they feel like they are not FSA/commie/environmentalists.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Arf GD logic:

Business misrepresents amount of product being sold, tantamount to fraud
Business is sued for perpetrating the fraud, settles the case
And...
Arfcom says you are no better than a welfare leech for recovering your rightfully owed damages

This place really is fucked.  Some of you people are just fucking dumb.  Or trolls. Or you have some kind of high horseman's circle jerk going on where you beat each other off for posting dumb fuck nonsensical replies that make you look like a pompous dicks.  I really don't know.

Come on now. Missing a few grams of tuna is nothing like someone dropping toxic waste in your back yard. Some of us just choose what we get worked up over and missing a few grams of tuna isn't worth it.

Would you seriously go through the trouble of weighing your can of tuna? And if you did and found it to be consistently light would you sue? I wouldn't. So why should I join a class action lawsuit? Because it is easy and some anally retentive "You owe me 2 grams!" guy and a bunch of attorneys that want to make a bunch of money decided to sue? If for some reason I did feel the need to weigh my tuna and found out I was getting less than I expected I would just switch brands. Dump some toxic waste in my backyard and damn right I will fight you tooth and nail.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I purchased tuna during that time frame and have no moral quandaries about getting some free tuna.  Thanks, OP.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#36]
"You don’t need a receipt; your claim is on the honor system"

That answered my question.

I'm sure I bought at least one can of tuna in that time frame, but I couldn't prove it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Come on now. Missing a few grams of tuna is nothing like someone dropping toxic waste in your back yard. Some of us just choose what we get worked up over and missing a few grams of tuna isn't worth it.

Would you seriously go through the trouble of weighing your can of tuna? And if you did and found it to be consistently light would you sue? I wouldn't. So why should I join a class action lawsuit? Because it is easy and some anally retentive "You owe me 2 grams!" guy and a bunch of attorneys that want to make a bunch of money decided to sue? If for some reason I did feel the need to weigh my tuna and found out I was getting less than I expected I would just switch brands. Dump some toxic waste in my backyard and damn right I will fight you tooth and nail.
View Quote

It's more like "You owe me 0.22 ounces, for this can of Solid White Alabacore Tuna in Water". Seriously. Straight from the lawsuit.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#38]
That reminds me. I never got my Red Bull.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's more like "You owe me 0.22 ounces, for this can of Solid White Alabacore Tuna in Water". Seriously. Straight from the lawsuit.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

0.22 ounces is actually ~6 grams so that is 2x my stated "few grams" !!   Still not
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not sure I know anyone that hasn't bought Starkist Tuna, FSA or not. That is WalMarts main brand in the canned meat section. One of my favorite dishes is tuna noodle casserole. I'll bet in that number of years I've had it more than thirty times, at two cans per meal.

I signed up, and asked for the fifty bucks in tuna. I'll eat it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

0.22 ounces is actually ~6 grams so that is 2x my stated "few grams" !!   Still not
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the lawsuit is legit. They shorted people, dead to rights.

I just think it's funny, because I have to wonder who the hell opens a can of tuna, weighs it, and calls an attorney. I mean seriously, who the fuck does this?  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks OP.
We have bought only solid white in water of any brand for years and have found Safeway and Costco to be consistently good with Costco being top notch.
Every now and then I'd try another can of Star-Kist and be disappointed in the shavings they call solid.
The claim says:  "Be aware that these claim amounts may be subject to pro rata dilution if the total amount of claims exceeds the available settlement funds."
They will probably get hammered with claims as no proof is needed and we will get $4.18 pro rated.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Corps do this kind of shit all the time in the hope no one notices.

Sometimes for just short runs....sometimes it's a long term plan.

Anything to increase the bottom line.

Make em pay for their deception.

I buy Starkist all the time and I did notice there was just a bit less

in the can not long after the economy hit the skids and many food

companies were downsizing the amount of what they were selling

instead of adjusting the price and/or reducing the size of the package...etc.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#44]
But luckily, we aren't getting charged for the mercury and radiation...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I just think it's funny, because I have to wonder who the hell opens a can of tuna, weighs it, and calls an attorney. I mean seriously, who the fuck does this?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More than likely got caught by some states weights and measures department and some sheisty lawyer caught wind of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks OP.
We have bought only solid white in water of any brand for years and have found Safeway and Costco to be consistently good with Costco being top notch.
Every now and then I'd try another can of Star-Kist and be disappointed in the shavings they call solid.
The claim says:  "Be aware that these claim amounts may be subject to pro rata dilution if the total amount of claims exceeds the available settlement funds."
They will probably get hammered with claims as no proof is needed and we will get $4.18 pro rated.  
View Quote

Even with having to provide proof my $25 Lawn Mower class action settlement claim was diluted down to like $14.00.

The lawyers are the only ones who come out on the winning end in these class action lawsuits.

I filed a claim for the $50 free tuna coupon. I figure I might actually have a chance at getting it.  No way will the $25 cash ever pay out anything meaningful.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought enough of their stuff that 50 bucks seems fair.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Even with having to provide proof my $25 Lawn Mower class action settlement claim was diluted down to like $14.00.

The lawyers are the only ones who come out on the winning end in these class action lawsuits.

I filed a claim for the $50 free tuna coupon. I figure I might actually have a chance at getting it.  No way will the $25 cash ever pay out anything meaningful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks OP.

Was that for a Craftsman mower? I seem to recall some mailings about that a few years ago, but never filed a claim.
I bet they pro-rata the coupons too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I bought the tuna during that time

If the money isn't coming  from the government fuck it I will take it
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice

I am sitting on a little less than a hundred of those dates,

and yes, they seemed light. The contents are loose and floating a bit, not packed like they were.

I just thought it was just more of the downsizing added/diminished to/with the smaller cans they went to.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top