Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

After herniating two disks in my back, it hurts to even watch that.
View Quote
You're just not pushing yourself hard enough bro. Now, jump on top of these boxes while other cult members, ahem, enthusiasts, cheer for you.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A crossfitter a vegan and an atheist walk in to a bar.  I know because they told me
View Quote

Five seconds in....

Its big here and the doucheyness is more than I can stand.  

Girlfriend does it and wonders why her back injury she got there in February isnt getting better.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Five seconds in....

Girlfriend does it and wonders why her back injury she got there in February isnt getting better.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A crossfitter a vegan and an atheist walk in to a bar.  I know because they told me

Five seconds in....

Dude, when the grid goes down the difference between life and death will be a solid core, specifically defined obliques.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#4]
First rule of hating CrossFit......

Never shut the fuck up about CrossFit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I always thought the joke was a Harvard grad, an attorney and a fighter pilot. But hey, they all work here!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol  
I always thought the joke was a Harvard grad, an attorney and a fighter pilot. But hey, they all work here!  

And a firefighter.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And a firefighter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol  

And a firefighter.

Volly FF
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#7]
The guy at 1:10 near knocked himself out crashing like that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#8]
What's the motto? No sprain, no gain?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That was a worthless course...
View Quote

...but all the cheering
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#10]
If I was an alien looking down, I'd be laughing my ass off.

"Zipzork21philxorx, look at this, our orders can't be correct, no way this species cracked the atom."
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll take SLAP tear for $100, Alex.
View Quote

Happened to me and it sucks..
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Google "Crossfit sues science". They suppress studies that prove the high injury rates with lawsuits.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Google "Crossfit sues science". They suppress studies that prove the high injury rates with lawsuits.
View Quote

So the Scientology of exercise?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#14]
The gym I go to is half regular gym half crossfit. I do not understand how any of those people have functioning shoulders with the way they fling around the weights. Olympic lifts for time has to be the worst idea in the history of exercise.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The gym I go to is half regular gym half crossfit. I do not understand how any of those people have functioning shoulders with the way they fling around the weights. Olympic lifts for time has to be the worst idea in the history of exercise.
View Quote

Wait. Are they getting injured at a high rate or are we just talking about your feels?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wait. Are they getting injured at a high rate or are we just talking about your feels?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen more than a couple people walking around in slings and one in a walking cast(that could have been non-crossfit related), they are hurt but they still come in to hang out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Needs to be done on concrete, out in the sun.

Bonus points for embedded glass.
View Quote

Funny you mention out in the sun.

There was a big fallout this year over them doing farmers walks. Almost all the contestants had their hands ripped to shreds on the event. Why?

B/c they were doing them really fucking heavy kettlebells.

Left out in the sun.

During the middle of the day.

No one thought to have big, steel balls with big steel handles under cover.

Among other complete stupidity from this year's games.

I tune in for bits to watch the stupidity...it really is amazing what they let slide as far as form goes...and you know...heavy weights...fatigue...bad form...what could possibly go wrong?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#18]
What the FUCK ARFCOM?

Did you all catch AIDS?

Crossfit thread and not a SINGLE crosfit meme/ gif in 2 pages....

This country is going to shit.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#19]
For god and country.. I will save this thread.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#20]
lol they're all supposed to jump over the same size hurdle when one girl is like 5'2 and some women are amazons and like 6'0.  

I like working out and getting stronger, but crossfit just...crossfit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wait until the end.

Good clean / bad jerk made me
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#22]
My fifty-something year old neighbor just finished in the
top five at the national Crossfit games.

He went from being a marathoner to Crossfit training

two years ago. Although he has always been an

athlete...football, boxing, running, body building, he says

Cross fit has put him in the best shape of his life.

His chronic back issues are gone, and he's no longer destroying

his knees due to distance running.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

That one always makes me chuckle.  It looks like the crankshaft on the shortbus.

This was always my favorite.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wait until the end.

http://youtu.be/N5iSMOhu1Mk

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait until the end.

http://youtu.be/N5iSMOhu1Mk

My back hurts now, just from watching that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Crossfit is often about doing activities that can be gamed, so that people who train crossfit can make super substantial gains in the activities they choose to do.  Their improvements are often a result of getting better at the activity rather than getting stronger or getting better endurance.  They are training their bodies to be more efficient at the activity and/or just improving at the skill.

A great example of this is box jumps (or hurdles).  A person can make significant improvements in boxjumps without getting any stronger or having a better vertical.  A better test would be to actually test peoples verticals and train to jump higher rather than getting better at pulling their legs up when they jump.

It's all about ego stroking, wow you went from one abortion of a pullup to 20 abortions of a pullup...jawesome!

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is suffering from high estrogen levels, I suspect.

We just had a competition last weekend where the final workout was run a mile, 30 chest to bar pullups, 10 (squat) cleans at 185#, 30 double unders, 10 hand stand pushups, 30 toes to bar and 10 ring muscle ups.  With an 18 minute time cap.  It's shocking, but nobody was injured.  

Most competitive CF competitors have trained to a level at which no GD fitness expert understands.  Some people want to push themselves and see what their bodies are capable of doing.  Some are content to stay in the basement.  Read back through some of the threads in the SD&F forum and see how many lifting (or other) injuries people have had in the past couple of years.  Pick up heavy stuff, and injuries can happen.  In 15 months of CF, I haven't been injured doing CF.  I haven't seen anyone else doing "CF" get injured.  Hell, half of the people at my gym are physical therapists.  But, but, but, but, those are not real pullups.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Oh right, a youtube video of idiots doing an idiotic competition refutes science.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've done it a few times over the years. I like the workouts. Statistically reported injury rates are far higher for running than crossfit.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rosspomeroy/2014/04/03/crossfit-isnt-killing-us/

Can't be true. Everyone knows CF will immediately result in knee, back, and neck surgeries, and will also quite likely result in spontaneous combustion.

"Injury rates with CrossFit training are similar to that reported in the literature for sports such as Olympic weight-lifting, power-lifting and gymnastics and lower than competitive contact sports such as rugby union and rugby league,” the researchers reported.

And that rate is positively puny compared to sports like soccer, skiing, and football. Even running may be more dangerous. A 2010 study followed recreational runners for eight weeks as they trained for a 4-mile race. 30.1 injuries were reported for every 1,000 hours of running.
The video I posted calls BS on your study.  
Oh right, a youtube video of idiots doing an idiotic competition refutes science.

Science?  You mean statistics, right?  And, like everyone knows, there's only one right answer when doing statistical analysis, right?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

We just had a competition last weekend where the final workout was run a mile, 30 chest to bar pullups, 10 (squat) cleans at 185#, 30 double unders, 10 hand stand pushups, 30 toes to bar and 10 ring muscle ups.  With an 18 minute time cap.  It's shocking, but nobody was injured.  

Most competitive CF competitors have trained to a level at which no GD fitness expert understands.  Some people want to push themselves and see what their bodies are capable of doing.  Some are content to stay in the basement.  Read back through some of the threads in the SD&F forum and see how many lifting (or other) injuries people have had in the past couple of years.  Pick up heavy stuff, and injuries can happen.  In 15 months of CF, I haven't been injured doing CF.  I haven't seen anyone else doing "CF" get injured.  Hell, half of the people at my gym are physical therapists.  But, but, but, but, those are not real pullups.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Most competitive CF competitors have trained to a level at which no GD fitness expert understands."

Um, o.k. You do have to admit that the video I posted is retarded.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cross fit is retarded.

I have a friend that got huge into it.  Ended up having back surgery a couple years ago.  Didn't slow him down.  He owns a gym now.  And you can't talk to him about anything other than Crossift, girls that are built like men, or his gym.

Shame because he was a good guy.

It really is like a cult.

View Quote

Ha!! I was just talking to my buddy about this the other day.  The guys we know who do crossfit can't NOT talk about...EVER.  If we all go out for a beer.....he brings up crossfit.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#30]
One day most of these cross fit folks are gonna move to Guyana and have a koolaide party.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"Most competitive CF competitors have trained to a level at which no GD fitness expert understands."  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course.  There's lots of retarded videos on youtube for pretty much any topic.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Science?  You mean statistics, right?  And, like everyone knows, there's only one right answer when doing statistical analysis, right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an engineer with a lot of statistics education, I couldn't disagree more. Data can be manipulated.

I previously posted a suggestion to google "Crossfit sues science". One of the higher profile cases, the Ohio State "study", is a complete joke.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Of course.  There's lots of retarded videos on youtube for pretty much any topic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Guns are stupid. Check out this YouTube video."
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#34]
The best are the cross fit guys who have to put multiple posts a day on facebook letting everyone know what they lifted, what they ate before they lifted, what type of pre workout powders they use, what they will be doing tomorrow....and how their entire life revolves around living in a gym.  Sounds great....
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The best are the cross fit guys who have to put multiple posts a day on facebook letting everyone know what they lifted, what they ate before they lifted, what type of pre workout powders they use, what they will be doing tomorrow....and how their entire life revolves around living in a gym.  Sounds great....
View Quote

I have a co-worker like that.  He's always flexing for me, and showing me his pecs.  We're like dude, you're fucking weird.  Or he goes in front of the window and starts flexing to check his reflection.  He's also always showing us videos on his phone of him lifting shit.  

This is also the same guy that wouldn't eat the chicken burger from across the road cause it was fried, and suggested that stir fry was a healthier option.  We all looked at each other, finally someone asked what he thought "fry" meant in stir fry.  Lulz ensued.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Reading about anything on facebook is already pretty gay and worthless.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Crossfit seems alright. Better than that aerobic dancing shit that was around when I went to the gym. Women with muscles are sexy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That's retarded even for crossfit. Not many people regardless of how many box jumps they do can clear a hurdle that's up to there neck.
View Quote

This.

In the 6 months or so I've been doing Crossfit, I have never done anything like what's posted in the OP video.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Having spent a little time around the founder of Crossfit, I assure you he is laughing all the way to the bank.

He is quite a character and it wouldn't surprise me to find out he is a member here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

What's the motto? No sprain, no gain?
View Quote
No brain, no pain

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My brother is a sports medicine doc, he said cross fit paid for their new kitchen last year.
View Quote

Bullshit.  All the people playing the absolutely brutal sport of football, in an exponentially higher volume, and he gets a new kitchen from CF?  Everybody knows some doctor who is making a great living off of CF.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#44]
I tried Crossfit for a few months. I determined there was nothing in the program that benefited me more than doing a strength training program with cardio mixed in.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#45]
I do cross fit workouts.  But there is no way in hell I would try jumping over that bar. I'm not doing this to injure or kill myself.  That is one of the stupidest activities I have seen, among numerous others of course.  The broscience video about cross fit is funny.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You forgot marathon runner.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You forgot marathon runner.

<--- 0.0
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Crossfit is often about doing activities that can be gamed, so that people who train crossfit can make super substantial gains in the activities they choose to do.  Their improvements are often a result of getting better at the activity rather than getting stronger or getting better endurance.  They are training their bodies to be more efficient at the activity and/or just improving at the skill.

A great example of this is box jumps (or hurdles).  A person can make significant improvements in boxjumps without getting any stronger or having a better vertical.  A better test would be to actually test peoples verticals and train to jump higher rather than getting better at pulling their legs up when they jump.

It's all about ego stroking, wow you went from one abortion of a pullup to 20 abortions of a pullup...jawesome!

View Quote

Know how I know you've never stepped foot in a Crossfit gym?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
.......................... Hell, half of the people at my gym are physical therapists. But, but, but, but, those are not real pullups.
View Quote

Is that like lawyers who leave their cards with tow truck operators?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.......................... Hell, half of the people at my gym are physical therapists. But, but, but, but, those are not real pullups.

Why do you think a lawyer goes to a Crossfit gym? His protests are just part of his game as he bides his time, accumulating injured clients, before suing HQ for....

ONE MILLLL-YUN DOLLARS!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top