User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Posted: 9/1/2015 2:21:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#1]
#Indianlivesmatter

Is there a protest with free TV's and liquor ? I need an upgraded TV something in the 55 inch range and flat screen to help me overcome my feelings of oppression
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
no comment
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

#Indianlivesmatter
Is there a protest with free TV's and liquor ? I need an upgraded TV something in the 55 inch range and flat screen to help me overcome my feelings of oppression
View Quote
Dot not feather

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going with Not Guilty.

Followed his training.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dot not feather  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
#Indianlivesmatter

Dot not feather  

So you are saying that only a small group of Indian lives matter and the large group can be oppressed ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for posting this. Didn't realize the other thread had been archived.

It will be interesting to see how this goes  in court.

From the comfort of my chair, it seemed an excessive amount of force at the time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#8]
In.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#9]
.                        .
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#10]
ost
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#11]
At least this guy was consious, hung jury or not guilty.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I look forward to hearing the details that come out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

From the comfort of my chair, it seemed an excessive amount of force at the time.
View Quote

It may look excessive but I think it was justifed at the time, because does the cop know there is a language barrier. I had alot of no hablo's right up until the cuffs were on.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It may look excessive but I think it was justifed at the time, because does the cop know there is a language barrier. I had alot of no hablo's right up until the cuffs were on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact that the officer immediately afterwards says something to the extent of "he didn't understand me" implies he knew there was a language barrier.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#15]
That dude is 57!? Holy hell, he's only 6 years older than me and he looks 70. Indian miles are rough on a guy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I look forward to hearing the details that come out.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone aware of a link to the video he plans to present at trial?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That dude is 57!? Holy hell, he's only 6 years older than me and he looks 70. Indian miles are rough on a guy.
View Quote
Well the cop breaking his back probably didn't help his posture.  He might have looked spry before this happened and that might be one reason the cop thought he had to get it on.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are a few ethneticities that just visibily age differently.  I'm pretty sure that Spanish women just one night in their mid fourties go through an overnight metamorphisis.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I watched dashcam video of that incident during in-service training in January.

He's going to prison.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I wish the Indian fellow a speedy recovery and I hope the cop that did this is punished justly, if the court decides it.
I think it would really help stop a lot of these incidents if the department as well as the individual officer had to pay all expenses/suits.
As long as the city keeps paying the bill the department and the individual doesn't really suffer any penalty.
Curious to see how it all plays out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Has the lawsuit been settled yet with the city?  I wonder how much he will be paid.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The fact that the officer immediately afterwards says something to the extent of "he didn't understand me" implies he knew there was a language barrier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Parker's comment was "this guy doesn't speak a lick of English".  So he definitely figured it out at some point.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#27]
If I get a call about some suspicious person walking down the sidewalk, this is how it would go...  Hey sir, I was called out here to investigate a suspicious person. *i get ignored or they don't speak my language and are not in need of medical attention*. I get back in my car and smile and wave.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Tag for all of the info.  It teally loks bad when the officer says on camera he doesn't think the guy speaks english.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The kicker is it was dispatched as a burglary suspect not merely the generic "suspicious person" call.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I get a call about some suspicious person walking down the sidewalk, this is how it would go...  Hey sir, I was called out here to investigate a suspicious person. *i get ignored or they don't speak my language and are not in need of medical attention*. I get back in my car and smile and wave.

The kicker is it was dispatched as a burglary suspect not merely the generic "suspicious person" call.

Based on some creative liberty taken by the dispatcher.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

An officers QI can be stripped by a judge.

That will come in the civil trial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish the Indian fellow a speedy recovery and I hope the cop that did this is punished justly, if the court decides it.
I think it would really help stop a lot of these incidents if the department as well as the individual officer had to pay all expenses/suits.
As long as the city keeps paying the bill the department and the individual doesn't really suffer any penalty.
Curious to see how it all plays out.

An officers QI can be stripped by a judge.

That will come in the civil trial.

It's already been decided if he's going to trial on the merits. QI is a preliminary motion. Maybe he renews the motion during the trial, but unlikely that the judge changes his mind.

ETA: This is a criminal trial, so nevermind. May not work that way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or the RP.... The dispatch tape will probably be part of the evidence.  I suspect the caller embellished the situation to get the cops to respond.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Followed his training.
View Quote

I wonder if his training mentioned that when there are two officers and a person who doesn't seem to understand the officers slowly walks away, then it is wise for the officers to stand in front of the person while they try to interview him.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Or the RP.... The dispatch tape will probably be part of the evidence.  I suspect the caller embellished the situation to get the cops to respond.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's out there already.  The dispatcher is the one that embellished.

There's a phrase in the fire service "treat the patient not the radio" since its far from unusual to get dispatched to something that doesn't jive with the facts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I wonder if his training mentioned that when there are two officers and a person who doesn't seem to understand the officers slowly walks away, then it is wise for the officers to stand in front of the person while they try to interview him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Followed his training.

Or how you deal with people that decide to not weigh as much as most folks.

The original thread showed the huge disconnect between qualified and proficient in the police service.  One class years ago is all that's required to use physical skills.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Followed his training.

Not saying I agree with what happened.

Just guesstimating the outcome by what some of the police here (including Bama) have said-guy was trying to leave/walk away,and the officer used a trained technique to take him down.

They will bring in guys that will testify that that is a trained technique in many places,and it was just one of those times it didn't work as usual.

Or I could be totally wrong.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
There's a phrase in the fire service "treat the patient not the radio" since its far from unusual to get dispatched to something that doesn't jive with the facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't realize the dispatcher made the error as I'm not following this.  What is the status of the dispatcher?
Fire service calls are not the same as  Police calls for service, but I understand your statement.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Eleven men and three women were selected for the jury on Wednesday morning.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#39]
This is a general LEO question sort of related to this.

If the responding officer surveys the scene/situation and decides "Maybe this is a waste of my time" can they leave or is the officer under dept requirements to further investigate.

I.E. A concerned neighbor calls about activity at XXXXX House. The officer arrives and see's nothing, see's normal stuff, nothing out of place, can the responding officer leave or must they make contact, knock on a door etc...?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I watched dashcam video of that incident during in-service training in January.

He's going to prison.
View Quote

why do you hate cops, bro?

wait! I was supposed to use the new universal sarcasm font!

why do you hate cops, bro?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Attorney: Officer's takedown unfortunate, but not criminal

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP) — Defense attorneys for a police officer accused of excessive force when he took down an Indian man say the encounter was an unfortunate escalation of tactics, but not criminal.

Prosecutors said during opening statements Wednesday that Patel spoke very little English and was confused by officers' orders before he was slammed to the ground. He was a grandfather who waited nine years for a visa to visit his son in Huntsville.

Parker's attorney Robert Tuten said the takedown was appropriate considering the circumstances.

http://news.yahoo.com/opening-statements-near-trial-alabama-officer-084913208.html
View Quote

What's your opinion-guilty or not?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#46]
tag, to follow the trial
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. -- A police officer didn't need to use a leg sweep to take down a 58-year-old Indian man who was partially paralyzed when he hit the ground, one of the officer's colleagues said Wednesday.

Madison officer Charles Spence testified that he drove up to the scene and saw officer Eric Parker holding the man's hands behind his back. Parker shouldn't have handcuffed Sureshbhai Patel unless he had probable cause that he was committing a crime or had been resisting officers, Spence said.

Parker's attorney Robert Tuten said officers are trained to be suspicious and must always expect the worst. The use of force was justified considering the circumstances, he said.

"It's unfortunate that Mr. Patel doesn't speak English. It's also unfortunate that Mr. Parker doesn't speak Hindi," he said.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/sep/02/alabama-police-officer-testifies-against-colleague-excessive-force-trial/323146/
View Quote

Damn. That sounds bad for parker.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The crucial evidence for the defense so far is that imaginary weapon, possibly a gun, or maybe a razor blade, or a knife, or anything that might have been tucked in the pocket of a small man reported by a neighbor for suspicious behavior.
View Quote

Ah yes. The old "he might have had a weapon" or "I thought he could have had a weapon" defense.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top