Site Notices
Page / 47
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep there are a lot of hypocrites here who's basic motivation is they enjoy hating other people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
but but what if it was a muslim in that position? Lol butt hurt.

Yep there are a lot of hypocrites here who's basic motivation is they enjoy hating other people.

You aren't kidding. It's like a lot of people here who are pushing Christian beliefs to be enforced by an elected official acting as part of the state haven't read the Bible... 1 Peter 2:13-17 sums up situations like this pretty damn clearly.

Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people. Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves. Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.

Acting as an agent of the state, she ought to obey.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#4]
State's Rights, bitches.... Don't Tread On Me!!

If the gays don't like it, they can move to Commiefornia...

Those "Laws" that "they" pass via bought and stolen votes in the middle of the night no longer matter...They are NOT my laws.

These days, where you give a libtard an inch then he sues you for a mile, EVERY hill is a hill to die on.

I, for one, am tired of turning the other cheek.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

10th amendment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if the sheriff decided not to issue carry permits because of his strong personal belief, you're okay with that?

Please point out where in the Bill of Rights you are guaranteed the "right to Marry".

10th amendment.

Which reads:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people    

The Federal government was not assigned the task to regulate marriage, thus according to the tenth, it's not the business of the federal government.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, I don't get it.  Issuing the marriage license is taking part in a gay wedding, but working for the government that issues them is not?  You work at the Gay Marriage Store.  How is it okay with your religious beliefs to cash that paycheck?  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
She needs to be recalled.
View Quote

And what will you do when the people vote to keep her in office?  Since this is probably what will happen in her area.  

Why do you think the gay couple's lawyer does not want jail time?  Do you think they are trying to avoid creating a real live martyr in the debate?  A Christian woman imprisoned for her religious beliefs held by a very large portion of America.

The courts often push unpopular topics.  And sometimes those topics take hold and the courts can change public opinion.  Sometimes, like the Dred Scott decision, they do not and the people refuse to accept the apparent authority of the Supreme Court because the Court is on the wrong side of society and history.  

There is no right answer.  Only history will tell us how this plays out and who was right and who was wrong.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Opening a business is not a religious ceremony.  A marriage ceremony is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So let's say I'm elected County Court Clerk and one of my functions is to renew and issue business licenses.  And let's say I am a good god-fearing christian at the time of my election.

Fast forward 6 months and I convert to islam.  I then have the personal belief that you cannot consume pork. Some guy wants to open a BBQ restaurant but I refuse to give him a business license.  Please tell me how that would differ from this situation.

Opening a business is not a religious ceremony.  A marriage ceremony is.
My marriage was not a religious ceremony, it was a business decision for tax, medical and legal purposes. Your assumption of what the marriage of two people into one entity under the law is, is off base. Your rebuttal is void.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You know the Puritans thought the opposite for some reason. They thought marriage was a contract and should be a governmental function, not a church function. Not sure of the reasoning behind that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why should I have to get the government's permission to get married?   Who gave the government the authority to decide who can marry and who cannot?

The word "marriage" does not appear in the Constitution.

Get the government out of the business of marriage.
You know the Puritans thought the opposite for some reason. They thought marriage was a contract and should be a governmental function, not a church function. Not sure of the reasoning behind that.  

The Puritans turned into yankees. That they thought government should have a hand in everything is in no way surprising.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Good.

Arrest, charge, and impeach her.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Fire her

I find it funny when people go nuts (rightfully so)about DC NYC cali not conforming to heller....but agree with this wacko

Religion has no buisness in .gov

Support freedom.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#13]
A. She is following state law.
B. Marriage licenses are not shall issue. If that was the case then polygamy would be legal.
C. She is elected. She has discretion on what she does. She is not issuing to anyone. Prosecutors can chose to file or not file a case. A similar power.
D. Federal court cannot tell a county executive how to do her job. Marriage is a power reserved to states and people respectively as it is not enumerated in constitution and is reserved to states and people via 10th amendment.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Exactly. The ones getting lawyers and protesting should just go somewhere else to get married...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get over it or quit.

Stop the attention whoring.

Exactly. The ones getting lawyers and protesting should just go somewhere else to get married...

The hill this lady is standing on, the one people here are saying is a worthwhile hill to die on, well that's the same hill the gay couples have chosen to make a stand too. If more gun owners made that stand instead of " going to the next county" quietly maybe we wouldn't be loosing ground on the 2a all the damn time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Marriage license clerks are the new dentists.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fire her

I find it funny when people go nuts (rightfully so)about DC NYC cali not conforming to heller....but agree with this wacko

Religion has no buisness in .gov

Support freedom.
View Quote

Great way of looking at things! This is exactly the same scenario as states or individuals acting as agents of the various states ignoring the Heller ruling. I'm sure there are plenty of people on DU cheering them on, as well.

Extremism horseshoe, the two "absolute opposite" teams have a whole lot more in common with each other than with the middle of the road folks...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

....and you'd be OK with law enforcement coming to take your ar15's because someone decides they should be........they're only doing their sworn duty.........to uphold the law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I don't agree that using "God's authority" as the reason for your actions, she could simply say she has strong personal convictions and will not follow through with the order.  But with that aside, I applaud her for standing up to these assholes.

She is refusing to issue licenses to ANYBODY, not just gay couples.

She's not doing the job she was elected to perform.  In most career fields that gets you fired.

....and you'd be OK with law enforcement coming to take your ar15's because someone decides they should be........they're only doing their sworn duty.........to uphold the law.

No I would expect them to quit on principle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good.

why don't the gays just go to another county and get their license?
View Quote

Because that would be too easy......they want to throw a fit, and getting people to notice their "struggle".....just like BLM.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#20]
So, We are IN SUPPORT of Gay Rights now?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Because that would be too easy......they want to throw a fit, and getting people to notice their "struggle".....just like BLM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Issuing the damn license and doing your job is just as easy, but she wants to throw a fit and get people to notice her "struggle"...just like BLM.

This is fun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You aren't kidding. It's like a lot of people here who are pushing Christian beliefs to be enforced by an elected official acting as part of the state haven't read the Bible... 1 Peter 2:13-17 sums up situations like this pretty damn clearly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
but but what if it was a muslim in that position? Lol butt hurt.

Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people. Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves. Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.

Because that has been shown to be such a good way to behave in the last 115 years, no problem with that whatsoever.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have no problem with gay rights. Doesn't hurt me none if two adults want to get married.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fixed it for ya.
I'm in favor of rights without precursors.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are in support of the law, the same courts could deem your guns illegal and these same people would support the big jackbooted foot of government kick your ass if you refused to submit, BECAUSE IT IS THE LAW.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I fail to understand, if she feels so strongly in her beliefs, why don't she just quit?  Can't have your cake and eat it too.
View Quote

This. It's not her business. It's a government job.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
State's Rights, bitches.... Don't Tread On Me!!

If the gays don't like it, they can move to Commiefornia...

Those "Laws" that "they" pass via bought and stolen votes in the middle of the night no longer matter...They are NOT my laws.

These days, where you give a libtard an inch then he sues you for a mile, EVERY hill is a hill to die on.

I, for one, am tired of turning the other cheek.
View Quote

How do you feel about "states' rights" when Chicago banned handguns, or CA said you can't carry?

States' rights, yeah?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They are in support of the law, the same courts could deem your guns illegal and these same people would support the big jackbooted foot of government kick your ass if you refused to submit, BECAUSE IT IS THE LAW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. One violates OUR rights, the other just burns YOUR ass.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have no problem with gay rights. Doesn't hurt me none if two adults want to get married.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Please point out where in the Bill of Rights you are guaranteed the "right to Marry".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if the sheriff decided not to issue carry permits because of his strong personal belief, you're okay with that?

You say this in every thread, and in every thread someone explains to you that the fourteenth amendment is where this resides.

How many times must you have this explained to you?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#31]
While I admire her conviction and standing up for what she believes in.  She needs to get with the program and work under the law of the land.  

I work in the court system with convicted felons everyday.  My personal mantra is "Unfortunately bad guys have rights too."

Everybody gay and straight are protected under the same set of rules, and afforded the same rights whether we like it or not.  She signed on in an oath to serve that law.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Issuing the damn license and doing your job is just as easy, but she wants to throw a fit and get people to notice her "struggle"...just like BLM.

This is fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good.

This is fun.

Cease these triggering micro-agressions!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  I don't give a damn what anyone does if it doesn't hurt me.  The government shouldn't be in the marriage business to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So basically you're saying that religious people can't do some jobs because of their religous beliefs.

An idea which would obviously violate various EEO regulations put forth by the feds.
View Quote

The flaw in your reasoning is that she's not a government employee directed to perform a job duty not of her choosing. She's an ELECTED Official who actually RAN for the office knowing what the duties are.

I commend her for following her faith's principles. She did the right thing by legally contesting the decision. She has lost her appeal; now she must either comply with the ruling or resign her position. Sometimes being a Christian means having your own cross to bear. Apparently this is hers; many have had it much tougher.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A. She is following state law.
B. Marriage licenses are not shall issue. If that was the case then polygamy would be legal.
C. She is elected. She has discretion on what she does. She is not issuing to anyone. Prosecutors can chose to file or not file a case. A similar power.
D. Federal court cannot tell a county executive how to do her job. Marriage is a power reserved to states and people respectively as it is not enumerated in constitution and is reserved to states and people via 10th amendment.
View Quote

402.080   Marriage license required
--
Who may issue.
No marriage shall be solemnized without a license therefor. The license shall be issued by
the  clerk  of  the  county
 in  which  the  female  resides  at  the  time,  unless  the  female  is
eighteen (18) years of age or over or a widow, and the license is issued on her
application
in person or by writing signed by her, in which case it may be issued by any county clerk.

Although not sure how this is to apply to male-male couples, maybe lesbian couples are okay, but she could get out of two guys? The reality she's going to get smacked down by the courts and eventually fired. Even if the state law needs fixing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why should she quit her job because a couple of lunatics that no one elected decided to redefine civilization?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I fail to understand, if she feels so strongly in her beliefs, why don't she just quit?  Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Why should she quit her job because a couple of lunatics that no one elected decided to redefine civilization?

why cant she just hire someone that either does not care or is not Christian to issue the marriage licenses?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#37]
What if she decided she wouldn't sign CCW or F4 apps.  "Because of God"

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Which reads:

The Federal government was not assigned the task to regulate marriage, thus according to the tenth, it's not the business of the federal government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10th amendment.

Which reads:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people    

There must be a way we can invoke the commerce clause here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

why cant she just hire someone that either does not care or is not Christian to issue the marriage licenses?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because that is the job she was elected to do. I can pretty much guarantee you that her constituents are pleased with her stance on this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No. That's how tyranny moves forward. People roll over and over and over and next thing you know it's too late to make a stand. Fuck that. Stand your ground while you have ground left to stand on!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because she is sworn to uphold the law?  If the law is changed (and it has been) then she needs to follow it or quit in protest.

No. That's how tyranny moves forward. People roll over and over and over and next thing you know it's too late to make a stand. Fuck that. Stand your ground while you have ground left to stand on!

So why does any single person get to decide who gets married or what is right...

and where does it stop?

My wife is Christian I am not... by some peoples beliefs we should not be allowed to marry...
We also lived together before we got married so some people think we were living in "sin" and should not have been able to get married..

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Gay marriage is not the law.  States and their citizens said no to gay marriage.  The Supreme Court pissing on the states does not make it law any more than when they said obamacare is okay.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

she isn't being forced to do shit

she can either perform her job function or find another job.

The same choice I have when my boss asks me to do something I don't want to do.

Her religious beliefs don't change the requirements for a job.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whether or not you agree with her, you have to agree with what she's representing.  If she can be forced to go against her religious beliefs, then what is freedom of religion?  At that point, all it is is "Yes, you have freedom of religion, as long as we agree with you."

Similarly - "yes, you have the right to keep and bear arms, but no one needs an assault weapon."

she isn't being forced to do shit

she can either perform her job function or find another job.

The same choice I have when my boss asks me to do something I don't want to do.

Her religious beliefs don't change the requirements for a job.

That doesn't address the problem.  Now the problem is, "Yes, you have freedom of religion.  But if you believe certain things, you either can't hold public office or you have to go against your belief."
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Because that is the job she was elected to do. I can pretty much guarantee you that her constituents are pleased with her stance on this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if her constituents were pleased that she refused to issue handgun permits because her religion made her take a stance against "gun violence"?

The constitutional challenge on that would be swift and decisive.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#44]
is this like a Muslim cop claiming he can't arrest man who beats his wife because it's religiously OK.?

Maybe not, she might have been "elected".
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

So why does any single person get to decide who gets married or what is right...

and where does it stop?

My wife is Christian I am not... by some peoples beliefs we should not be allowed to marry...

We also lived together before we got married so some people think we were living in "sin" and should not have been able to get married..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because she is sworn to uphold the law?  If the law is changed (and it has been) then she needs to follow it or quit in protest.

and where does it stop?

Why does a 5-4 Supreme Court majority get to redefine the cornerstone of human civilization?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Whether or not you agree with her, you have to agree with what she's representing.  If she can be forced to go against her religious beliefs, then what is freedom of religion?  At that point, all it is is "Yes, you have freedom of religion, as long as we agree with you."

Similarly - "yes, you have the right to keep and bear arms, but no one needs an assault weapon."
View Quote

her beliefs are for her....not for her to force onto others....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Why does a 5-4 Supreme Court majority get to redefine the cornerstone of human civilization?
View Quote

Just so I can get a handle on the depths of absurdity involved, are you really implying that human civilization is ending because of this?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Bull Shit...she is doing nothing the fucking president isnt doing...picking which laws to enforce. ..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
She needs to be recalled.

Bull Shit...she is doing nothing the fucking president isnt doing...picking which laws to enforce. ..

In other words, you're ok with this type of behavior?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Oh look a couple of queers starting trouble. I think its funny how they believe if they get married and act like heterosexual couples they think their normal people. I hope they never get issued a marriage license. Fucking weirdos.
View Quote

So you are perfect in every way?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Would it change opinions here to learn she hasn't been approving ANY marriage licenses at all?
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top