BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 47
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And if her constituents were pleased that she refused to issue handgun permits because her religion made her take a stance against "gun violence"?

The constitutional challenge on that would be swift and decisive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fail to understand, if she feels so strongly in her beliefs, why don't she just quit?  Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Why should she quit her job because a couple of lunatics that no one elected decided to redefine civilization?

why cant she just hire someone that either does not care or is not Christian to issue the marriage licenses?

Because that is the job she was elected to do. I can pretty much guarantee you that her constituents are pleased with her stance on this.

And if her constituents were pleased that she refused to issue handgun permits because her religion made her take a stance against "gun violence"?

Apples and airplanes.

She is standing up for at least 6,000 years of human civilization as well of her religious beliefs against a simple majority of political appointees. She is not opposing a fundamental human right.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

More like a muslim being hired on at a dairy farm and then farmer deciding to raise pigs instead because he hates muslims.  

Her job didn't conflict with her religion when she was hired.  Now, the federal government has decided to sanction homosexuality, which is a sin against God.  

View Quote

Who's GOD? yours maybe...but not mine
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A. She is following state law.
B. Marriage licenses are not shall issue. If that was the case then polygamy would be legal.
C. She is elected. She has discretion on what she does. She is not issuing to anyone. Prosecutors can chose to file or not file a case. A similar power.
D. Federal court cannot tell a county executive how to do her job. Marriage is a power reserved to states and people respectively as it is not enumerated in constitution and is reserved to states and people via 10th amendment.
View Quote

The 14th amendment of the Constitution ensures that all citizens are protected and treated equally. She is denying marriage licenses to everyone, not just gays. Straight people are not being treated equally by her office either. Her office is responsible for issuing marriage licenses. She can't just stop, she is required to allow all people to follow the law. This particular law says you need a license to get married
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#4]
She needs to be fired.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

....and you'd be OK with law enforcement coming to take your ar15's because someone decides they should be........they're only doing their sworn duty.........to uphold the law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I don't agree that using "God's authority" as the reason for your actions, she could simply say she has strong personal convictions and will not follow through with the order.  But with that aside, I applaud her for standing up to these assholes.

She is refusing to issue licenses to ANYBODY, not just gay couples.

She's not doing the job she was elected to perform.  In most career fields that gets you fired.

....and you'd be OK with law enforcement coming to take your ar15's because someone decides they should be........they're only doing their sworn duty.........to uphold the law.

no what I am ok with are laws that protect freedoms...the freedom of me to be armed...and the freedom of consenting adults to love who they want even if I can not understand that love....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Apples and airplanes.

She is standing up for at least 6,000 years of human civilization as well of her religious beliefs against a simple majority of political appointees. She is not opposing a fundamental human right.
View Quote

She's not standing up for anything for "human civilization" and it's not her place to decide that on any "civilization's" behalf.

These aren't apples and airplanes.  They are extremely similar constitutionally governed issues.

There are certain things the government is explicitly prohibited from doing.  I asked you about how you would feel if she did one of those things because she is doing another one of those things.

These are red apples and green apples.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Would it change opinions here to learn she hasn't been approving ANY marriage licenses at all?
View Quote

Bingo she is not discriminating since she is not issuing any. That is why I don't have a problem with her actions.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Just so I can get a handle on the depths of absurdity involved, are you really implying that human civilization is ending because of this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why does a 5-4 Supreme Court majority get to redefine the cornerstone of human civilization?

Just so I can get a handle on the depths of absurdity involved, are you really implying that human civilization is ending because of this?

No, I am saying that the Supreme Court refined the most basic unit of human civilization. Civilization will not end over it, but our society will become significantly more perverse and corrupt. Not every civilization is going to follow us into the abyss.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Would it change opinions here to learn she hasn't been approving ANY marriage licenses at all?
View Quote

So she's giving Kentucky law the finger too?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

her beliefs are for her....not for her to force onto others....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whether or not you agree with her, you have to agree with what she's representing.  If she can be forced to go against her religious beliefs, then what is freedom of religion?  At that point, all it is is "Yes, you have freedom of religion, as long as we agree with you."

Similarly - "yes, you have the right to keep and bear arms, but no one needs an assault weapon."

That's what I'm arguing against.  If you are allowed to have religious freedom but are not allowed to follow your religious beliefs, you do NOT have religions freedom.

Cakemakers are allowed to be against homosexual marriage - but they MUST support it or be fined.

Freedom doesn't work that way.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's what I'm arguing against.  If you are allowed to have religious freedom but are not allowed to follow your religious beliefs, you do NOT have religions freedom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whether or not you agree with her, you have to agree with what she's representing.  If she can be forced to go against her religious beliefs, then what is freedom of religion?  At that point, all it is is "Yes, you have freedom of religion, as long as we agree with you."

Similarly - "yes, you have the right to keep and bear arms, but no one needs an assault weapon."

She can follow her religious belief.

She can't force me to.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They are in support of the law, the same courts could deem your guns illegal and these same people would support the big jackbooted foot of government kick your ass if you refused to submit, BECAUSE IT IS THE LAW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, We are IN SUPPORT of Gay Rights now?

They are in support of the law, the same courts could deem your guns illegal and these same people would support the big jackbooted foot of government kick your ass if you refused to submit, BECAUSE IT IS THE LAW.

Not the the simple law but the law that supports freedoms of individuals...to include individuals who I don't always agree with...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So basically you're saying that religious people can't do some jobs because of their religous beliefs.

An idea which would obviously violate various EEO regulations put forth by the feds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I fail to understand, if she feels so strongly in her beliefs, why don't she just quit?  Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Why should she quit her job because a couple of lunatics that no one elected decided to redefine civilization?

Because she is not willing to do her job. It really is that simple.  Great she has beliefs but sometimes your beliefs can cost you and the ones who stand up then are truly worth the adoration.

So basically you're saying that religious people can't do some jobs because of their religous beliefs.

An idea which would obviously violate various EEO regulations put forth by the feds.

No one said that religious people can't do some jobs. I think his point was some religious people "choose" not to do their jobs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#14]
She must be racist.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bingo she is not discriminating since she is not issuing any. That is why I don't have a problem with her actions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why isn't she approving any marriage licenses?

Sounds like she isn't doing her job. If I don't do my job, I'm given a box and shown a door.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Which reads:

The Federal government was not assigned the task to regulate marriage, thus according to the tenth, it's not the business of the federal government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if the sheriff decided not to issue carry permits because of his strong personal belief, you're okay with that?

Please point out where in the Bill of Rights you are guaranteed the "right to Marry".

10th amendment.

Which reads:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people    

The Federal government was not assigned the task to regulate marriage, thus according to the tenth, it's not the business of the federal government.

Woops. 9th amendment.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The 14th amendment of the Constitution ensures that all citizens are protected and treated equally. She is denying marriage licenses to everyone, not just gays. Straight people are not being treated equally by her office either. Her office is responsible for issuing marriage licenses. She can't just stop, she is required to allow all people to follow the law. This particular law says you need a license to get married
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
B. Marriage licenses are not shall issue. If that was the case then polygamy would be legal.
C. She is elected. She has discretion on what she does. She is not issuing to anyone. Prosecutors can chose to file or not file a case. A similar power.
D. Federal court cannot tell a county executive how to do her job. Marriage is a power reserved to states and people respectively as it is not enumerated in constitution and is reserved to states and people via 10th amendment.

It is her prerogative as an elected official to do her job. She is treating everyone equally by not issuing licenses. Her office is only one authorized to issue but you cannot force her to issue them. She is issuing none. Police don't have to issue tickets even though they are the ones authorized to do it. Prosecutors don't have to prosecute if they don't want to.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So if the sheriff decided not to issue carry permits because of his strong personal belief, you're okay with that?
View Quote

Piss-poor analogy.
Lots of CLEO's across the country refuse to sign NFA, and lots either refuse to issue CCW or deliberately make the process as difficult as possible. NYC makes it a pain in the ass to even purchase a long gun, and if anyone came here bitching the most popular answer would be "tough shit, you should move"
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

She's not standing up for anything for "human civilization" and it's not her place to decide that on any "civilization's" behalf.

These aren't apples and airplanes.  They are extremely similar constitutionally governed issues.

There are certain things the government is explicitly prohibited from doing.  I asked you about how you would feel if she did one of those things because she is doing another one of those things.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Apples and airplanes.

OK, I'd be pissed, but the question is stupid because your logic is flawed, to say the least. Possessing the tools to help ensure you existence, defend your family, community and property is an essential human right. Getting a government issued marriage license is not an essential human right.

And since we're on the topic, the same Supreme Court that you are claiming has chosen to stand for constitutionally protected Liberty in this case chose to interpret the Second Amendment as granting you a right to apply for a license to keep and carry a handgun inside your residence. That is literally what they said.

Don't talk to me about the Supreme Court standing up for essential rights.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sounds like she isn't doing her job. If I don't do my job, I'm given a box and shown a door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a job. She is the county clerk. An elected official. Nothing compels her to do anything except wanting to be re elected or avoid impeachment.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Piss-poor analogy.
Lots of CLEO's across the country refuse to sign NFA, and lots either refuse to issue CCW or deliberately make the process as difficult as possible. NYC makes it a pain in the ass to even purchase a long gun, and if anyone came here bitching the most popular answer would be "tough shit, you should move"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Piss-poor analogy.

Those instances aren't shall-issue, like this case is.  If it were an issue of a Georgia (shall-issue) county not issuing a CCW to someone, I'd be pissed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#23]
does she have a gofundme acct yet? are christians throwing money at her yet? I bet she steps down when she has a few hundred k in the bank.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OK, I'd be pissed, but the question is stupid because your logic is flawed, to say the least. Possessing the tools to help ensure you existence, defend your family, community and property is an essential human right. Getting a government issued marriage license is not an essential human right.

And since we're on the topic, the same Supreme Court that you are claiming has chosen to stand for constitutionally protected Liberty in this case chose to interpret the Second Amendment as granting you a right to apply for a license to keep and carry a handgun inside your residence. That is literally what they said.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apples and airplanes.

Well, since we're talking about granting a right to apply for a license to wed... it's starting to sound more like red apples to red apples.  Maybe red delicious to braeburn?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So, We are IN SUPPORT of Gay Rights now?

View Quote

I think it would be Individual Rights
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Good for her. It has to start somewhere. Let it be here.

We're not going to be able to vote ourselves out of this headlong slide into the Marxist cesspool. People have to start doing something about it. State and local officials refusing to enforce idiotic legislation rammed up our asses by the lunatics in D.C. needs to become SOP.
View Quote

Yeah, some religious nutjob in Buttfuck,Kentucky who is refusing to do her job is going to fire the shot heard around the world.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

So now she is refusing to perform the job duties that don't conflict with her religious beliefs as well ???

at what point will some of you stop supporting her?

Maybe she shouldn't even bother going to work
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#29]
This is a dumb hill to die on.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Don't those people work for the President, not SCOTUS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's about damn time someone told these jackasses to go fuck themselves.

Anthony Kennedy made his ruling, now let him enforce it!
They have people for that   http://timothyolyphant.siterubix.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/raylan-badge.jpg

Don't those people work for the President, not SCOTUS?

Correct. As Andrew Jackson correctly surmised, the SCOTUS actually has no enforcement powers.

But I'm sure Obama will send federal agent to enforce this decision- just as soon as they're done in DC and Chicago and NY enforcing Heller and McDonald.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, according to local news.

My taxes are paying this windbag to sit in her chair with a thumb up her ass.

She'll be in federal court in Ashland on Thursday though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just to clarify she is no longer issuing licenses AT ALL to ANYONE. The reason she is not being recalled is it is a rural county in KY. Nobody cares about the 3 gay couples in the county or their agenda.
View Quote

Or the couple who intentionally came to that clerk with an AP reporter in tow.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. WHen you can't do your job, it's time to leave your job.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#35]
If an elected government official can be impeached for not doing their job there wouldn't be any elected officials
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because she's God's snowflake, she's not going to quit when she thinks she's doing God's work, despite the fact that government doesn't recognize "God's work".

Someone needs to impeach this clown.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#38]
As a citizen of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, she needs to be replaced.

Her job is not to decide who gets marriage licenses. Her job is to issue marriage licenses.

If she is so firm in her beliefs that she can't hand out the licenses to certain people, she should resign.

But she doesn't want to do that because she'd lose a super easy government job and that kick ass pension. She's nothing but FSA, like most of Rowan county is.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Marriage is between male and female cats! To hell with all of this crap!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
yeah I kind of doubt she would be recalled unless the county was about to be bankrupted or something.  

Be interesting to see if she folds after her "Come to Jesus" talk with a federal judge thursday.

edit looks like her flunkies are being dragged into federal court too, that's gotta suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Moreover the people that elected her are okay with her stance...or else there would be clamor to have a recall vote.

The POTUS has set this precedent over the past 6 years and everyone on the left has been okay with it...well the pendulum is starting to swing the other way and the left better get used to a new bunch of conservatives that are going to play the game acording the the rules the left has used.
yeah I kind of doubt she would be recalled unless the county was about to be bankrupted or something.  

Be interesting to see if she folds after her "Come to Jesus" talk with a federal judge thursday.

edit looks like her flunkies are being dragged into federal court too, that's gotta suck.

What can the judge do? She hasn't done anything against the law.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I wonder what would happen if a county refused to issue CCW licenses because of personal convictions.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You aren't kidding. It's like a lot of people here who are pushing Christian beliefs to be enforced by an elected official acting as part of the state haven't read the Bible... 1 Peter 2:13-17 sums up situations like this pretty damn clearly.

Acting as an agent of the state, she ought to obey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
but but what if it was a muslim in that position? Lol butt hurt.

Yep there are a lot of hypocrites here who's basic motivation is they enjoy hating other people.

You aren't kidding. It's like a lot of people here who are pushing Christian beliefs to be enforced by an elected official acting as part of the state haven't read the Bible... 1 Peter 2:13-17 sums up situations like this pretty damn clearly.

Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people. Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves. Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.

Acting as an agent of the state, she ought to obey.

You know how I know that you don't know what those verses mean?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#43]
God ain't signing your check, lady. The public funded government who has recognized that gays have the same rights to marry as you do.

Show us how strong those convictions are, and quit.

I'll stand up for religious freedom, but this isn't an example of it.

Same low-IQ tards applauding her would have a conniption if a government employee won't serve pork in the commissary because of their muslim beliefs and grandstanded about it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Those instances aren't shall-issue, like this case is.  If it were an issue of a Georgia (shall-issue) county not issuing a CCW to someone, I'd be pissed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Piss-poor analogy.

And that right there is why it is a puss poor analogy. The Supreme Court interpreted the Second Amendment as the right to apply for a license and left it up to the states to decide who, what and where that license applies to, but they said that the state's MUST issue a license to homosexual couple wanting to marry. They performed legal gymnastics to determine what a critical portion of the Bill of Rights means and they took a portion of a Reconstruction amendment out of context in order to redefine the foundation of human civilization.

Apples and Airplanes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Piss-poor analogy.

KY has Shall-issue on NFA sign off as well, this is actually a good comparison. If a sheriff refused to sign off on NFA paperwork he'd be in violation of KY law. Right now, in KY, this woman is violating the law by refusing to sign shall issue marriage licenses. She should be terminated.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would love to hear our house lawyers on these points.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I wonder what would happen if a county refused to issue CCW licenses because of personal convictions.
View Quote

This is a new and highly compelling perspective. I will now take time to re-evaluate my position.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

She works for the government. It's not her place to make these decisions. Fire her and put someone who will do the job in her place.

Now if she was a private business owner or religious institution making the decision not to serve them, I have no problem with that.
View Quote
No, its not. But you know what? Leftists activist government bureaucrats do this same kind of stuff all the time (when it is a law/policy/decision they disagree with) and the MSM and the rest of the leftist loonies applaud them for being so "courageous" or "standing up for their beliefs." But when someone does it on a topic the leftist disagree with, it's "Fire her and put someone who will do the job in her place." So I have no problem with the shoe being on the other foot and taking the good for the goose, good for the gander position because frankly at this point I'm sick of the hypocrisy and expecting one side (right) to be held to the letter of the law while the other (left) gets to flout it as they see fit.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why cant she just hire someone that either does not care or is not Christian to issue the marriage licenses?

Because that is the job she was elected to do. I can pretty much guarantee you that her constituents are pleased with her stance on this.

No it wouldn't. Heller and MacDonald are settled, too. Now go into Chicago or NYC or DC and open carry and see what happens.
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top