Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Yes, that includes leap days.   26 years, 17 days of wearing USAF blue.  

I came on active duty on the 14th of August, 1989.

Since then, I’ve had 25 different jobs at 15 different locations, only three of which were both above ground AND had windows.

I've served under 12 USAF Chief of Staffs, 9 Secretaries of Defense, and five presidents, with my commission signed by a sixth (All Hail Renaldus Magnus!).

I’ve done 27 promotions, nine reenlistments, 31 commissionings, one retirement, and one court martial (not mine),

I've spent 279 days on nuclear alert, 300-ish days on space operations crew, 357 days deployed to  Afghanistan, and served a three-year sentence at the Pentagon with no time off for good behavior.

I’ve been a crew commander, flight commander, detachment commander, instructor, evaluator, educator, staff officer, operations officer, and snack bar officer.

In my time in the Air Force, I’ve learned that at 30 below, a boiling hot cup of coffee thrown in the air will freeze before it hits the ground, I’ve had lunch with the Afghan Army Chief of the General Staff, I’ve visited some of the biggest nuclear weapons facilities in the country, I’ve had to figure out the best way to get a dead cow out of a sewage lagoon, and I spent one really fun Christmas Eve answering the phones for the annual NORAD Tracks Santa event, earning the undying gratitude of parents by telling their kids they had to go to bed RIGHT NOW or he’d pass them by.

And I’d do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Except for the Pentagon tour.

The really funny thing is I never planned on making it a career—it just happened that every time I was wondering what the next step was, the Air Force promoted me and sent us off to another cool assignment in a great place that made it worth sticking around.  So, here I am, a quarter century later, a lot more grey hair and a lot lower PT test scores than when I started, but MAN, was it a fun ride.  

Except for the Pentagon tour.  

Anyway, I’ve had a great run, but it’s time for someone else to sign for the alert.  

Limaxray, Lt Col, USAF, and as of today, (Ret).
View Quote

Congratulations LTC!
Welcome to retirement.
God bless the USAF!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you have a personal plan to dine upon your silo occupants in case of war?  Did you plan recipes?

Nuclear winter is long.  

Tunneling out is hard.  

Protein is good.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you have a personal plan to dine upon your silo occupants in case of war?  Did you plan recipes?

Nuclear winter is long.  

Tunneling out is hard.  

Protein is good.

View Quote

He has lots of recipes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Congratulations. Can you tell us about living underground and what that was like?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Congratulations. Can you tell us about living underground and what that was like?

I posted this several years ago:

First off, go to this website. This author/photographer managed to get some great pictures of a capsule and the crew, and put it together with some other information that's really useful.

So, you leave base and drive across the Montana (or Wyoming, or North Dakota) countryside. In our squadron, the closest site is 1.5 hours away, and our farthest is almost three hours from base. Our squadron is 5,000 square miles in area, and the wing is the size of the state of West Virginia (23K square miles). Between ops, cops and maintenance, we put over 2.8 million miles on our wing's vehicles every year. Time, and distance are significant considerations in EVERYTHING we do, and weather is equally important. The sites in our squadron are all in the 4000-4500 ft above sea level range, nestled near a bunch of mountains--weather, especially winter weather, is a constant issue for us.

After arriving on site and getting through security, you walk into the Missile Alert Facility (MAF, that's the entire site, but we generally use it to refer to the topside building). There, you'll see the other site personnel--the site Facility Manager (responsible for the building itself and the senior NCO on the site), the chef (usually a junior airman), and the security forces personnel in your flight area (should be somewhere between six and twelve cops). They all stay in rooms topside.

You go through even more security, and get cleared to go downstairs. You get in an elevator that will BARELY hold three people and their gear, close the door, and spend the next minute travelling about 60-80 feet below ground. During that ride, you'll notice an...interesting...smell, as sometimes the sewage lift station at the bottom of the elevator shaft will back up just a little bit.

Once downstairs, the elevator door opens, and you're faced with the blast door. It's usually somewhat humid, but not moldy, at the bottom of the elevator shaftway, and besides the occasional smell it's not unpleasant, especially on a hot summer day.

You walk into the capsule (being careful to duck--the entry way is only 5' tall, and it's got a steel lip all the way around it--guess who will win in a contest of skull vs doorframe) and when you come out of the 6' long entryway, you're standing on a very small platform of steel with a gap around it.

The interior of the capsule is like no other structure I've seen. All of the equipment is attached to a floor that's suspended from the ceiling by four huge bolts. The mounting points for the floor are actually four gigantic shock absorbers, and the floor has some clearance around the edges (rattle space). All the electrical, water, air etc. links for the equipment to the outside world are in cables that have lots of slack, so in the event of a near miss the entire floor can shake, rattle and roll, without damaging the equipment or ripping things out of the wall.

Built on the floor is a shelter (we call it the acoustical enclosure). All of the important stuff (the TV, the DVD, the bathroom, the bed, and, oh, yea, all the other missile equipment ) is located inside that enclosure. It smells funny, mainly because of 45 years of people (mainly men) living in an area equivalent to a medium-sized living room (which deserves another ). Usually it's not bad (unless the crew had the Mexican plate for dinner); it's a dry, musty smell of electronics and conditioned air, with just a hint of hobo feet. You get used to it pretty quickly.

Life in the capsule can be very, very good, or very very bad, depending on the day. If it's a slow day, then it fast approaches boring. There are daily tasks (inspections, communications checks, daily maintenance checks, etc.) that occupy some time, but the rest of the day is spent sort of like a police dispatcher; ready to respond to whatever happens but otherwise unoccupied. One of the two of you in the capsule can sleep, so the other one stays on the console, answers phones and responds to status. There's always some studying to do (remember my post about the three monthly tests), some cleaning to do, and there's a TV/DVD in the console you can watch. Every once in a while the chef upstairs sends down food, so you can eat your tater tots and watch the Tick in comfort. There's also a microwave and fridge downstairs, so you can bring your own food & (non-alcoholic) drink if you are so inclined.

When there's maintenance or security situations going on, it's busy. You're constantly on the phone, running checklists, sending commands to the missiles, cross-checking with the other capsules in the squadron, and directing the actions of the maintenance or security forces. Even worse, sometimes there's maintenance in the capsule itself, which means you're both up (that disrupts sleep shifts and sometimes they have to really tear apart the capsule to do their maintenance, so you wind up sitting on the filing cabinet while they're doing their thing).

The food tends to be really good, depending on the chef. There's some healthy stuff, but the menu is heavy on the starches and fried/grilled foods. We have dedicated chefs on site, and some of them get really creative (I just learned one of ours has a Chicken Bacon Ranch sandwich he designed.... mmmmm.......).

The capsules are pretty loud. There's a motor-generator under the floor that provides power to the racks, and an air conditioner to keep the racks cool, so it's basically like being in a passenger plane for 24 hours. You get so used to the noise it becomes a part of your sleep habits. One of the running jokes is "How can you tell if you've been on crew too long? You need to keep a fan running to go to sleep."

I've seen broom closets larger than our bathrooms downstairs. It's just barely large enough to do your business, and it's got a prison toilet in it (yes, the stainless steel ones with the sink above the toilet itself). Do NOT drop your toothbrush. Those toilets have been the, well, butt of many jokes about what missile life in the capsule is REALLY like.

So, that's a snapshot of life downstairs. Right now, as you read this, there are 90 men and women of the US Air Force sitting on the world I just described, providing the nation's premier nuclear deterrent and prompt global strike capability to the nation.

I couldn't be prouder to be a part of them, or more humbled to be associated with the caliber of young men and women who are the nation's ICBM force. Coneheads, subterranean trolls, knuckledraggers--whatever you want to call them, they are the nation's missileers. If you meet one, thank him or her, for doing a mostly unknown and definitely unappreciated job of sitting nuclear alert.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Good write up. Congrats.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tell us about the pentagon vacation also
View Quote

Yeah.  

Besides the job, the commute freakin' KILLED me.  

Loved living in the DC area, hated working there.  The internal politics, and just the act of watching the sausage get made, was ugly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Enjoy your first retirement, and I hope you like herding cats at the JROTC, I was a cadet for 3 years of High School.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, how does one get a dead cow out of a sewage lagoon?

View Quote

I'll get to this one later, when I can get to the pictures on my hard drive at home.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Congradulations! You've been in the airforce for a little longer than I've been alive!

Seriously, Congradulations!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Congrats!

What was your first job in the air force?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Where did you live at for those 3 years?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats!

Now I've got to hear why that pentagon tour was so awful.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

The first year was fun.  Nuclear operations division, setting policy and doctrine for USAF nuclear weapons and systems.  Great office, great people, our division chief called it the "Romper Room year" because of our juvenile sense of humor.

The last two years was sheer, unadulterated hell.  I was the Air Force Secretary for Joint and National Security Council Matters.  For those who have done a Pentagon tour. I was the JACO.  

Essentially I was the conduit for all communications between the USAF, and the Joint Staff and other services. My job consisted of:

- Receiving taskers from the Joint Staff
- Assigning them to an office in the USAF to work
- Receiving the finished product from that office
- Returning it for the wrong format
- Returning it AGAIN for the wrong format
- Contacting the Joint Staff to ask for an extension because the idiots working the package can't get the format right
- Giving it to one of the four (yes, FOUR) colonels I worked for to approve it on behalf of the CSAF
- Transmitting the finished product to the Joint Staff.

8,667 packages in two years, according to my decoration.  We also prepared our generals to attend the weekly Tank sessions.

I HATED that job.  Great in the sense that I got to see how the big boys think, awful in the sense that I discovered I'm a product guy, not a process guy, and that job was NOTHING but process.

Almost quit four times in a year there.  And I'm not talking about figuratively, I'm talking about calling MPF, asking what forms to fill out to separate, what timelines, etc.

The only thing that stopped me is the threat of my wife killing me for separating with 16 years in.

My wife said that during those years, I'd come home, and it was liked the lights dimmed in the house, I sucked all the joy out of it.  

Valuable experience, don't get me wrong, but I don't ever, ever need to repeat it.

And now, I'll never have to.  

Where did you live at for those 3 years?

South end of Minnieville Rd in Woodbridge, almost by where it meets 123.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Have you looked on USAJobs for openings at the Pentagon?
View Quote

Every OTHER place but Northern Virginia.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Enjoy it!  You earned it!

Now you get all those retirement perks!  First in line to Med Clinic Pharmacy, immunity to doing dumb things at the BX, no more saluting at the gate...that's the life!
View Quote

I'm gonna spend all day in the food court, grabbing random airmen and telling them "Back in My Day" stories.  For hours.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Congrats on your retirement! Thank you for your service. Let us know how high school compares to the Pentagon!
View Quote

Well, so far there's less drama and backstabbing....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'll get to this one later, when I can get to the pictures on my hard drive at home.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, how does one get a dead cow out of a sewage lagoon?

I'm still trying to understand why anyone would want to get a cow out of a sewage lagoon...

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#16]
You have earned a nice cushy chair..

Enjoy civilian life.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats, sir! It was a pleasure working with you. Wish you the best with your next step.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Congrats Lima....and Thanks from one Grateful Flatfoot for spending all that time in a hole in the ground
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That sounds like a lot of work, you should get to take home like a free rocket or something
View Quote

They were going to do a flyby of my airframe at my retirement ceremony, but they decided it would be a little hard on south central Alabama.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Congrats and thank you for your service
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Never had the pleasure of being SACumcised while I was in, but retirement is a good thing. I thought I'd really miss it, but I find I really go by the base anymore. Oh, and if you end up in another profession, you will probably miss the work ethics of your AF days, civilian work standards took some getting used to.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was thinking a set of keys would be neat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That sounds like a lot of work, you should get to take home like a free rocket or something

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/2012-11-27_14-35-00_821.jpg

Nice.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It will be years before he quits counting down until he turns the key to start his car as it is...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congratulations, sir.

It would be cool to have a key from a silo or something.
It will be years before he quits counting down until he turns the key to start his car as it is...

I will be 98 years old, deep in the grip of Alzheimer's, and the only two things I'm going to know is that I want ice cream...and the execution checklist for the MMII/CDB weapon system.

MRT, cable, 59, enable, 25 all balls, rotary switch to PLCA....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Congrats!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Congrats

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#29]
So what are the job prospects for an underground dwelling digital index operator?  

Retirement is awesome!

Thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Congratulations and Thank You Sir for your service!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#31]
So you say you didn't like the Pentagon tour??

Congrats

Thanks for you service past and present.

Shape those young minds.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Congrats sir.  If you want to come back to Nebraska let me know and I'll help where I can.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Congratulations on your 1st retirement.

What is scary, teenage drama, GO stupidity, or nuclear weaponry?

Monk
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Congrats, Sir!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So not only am I still doing the USAF thing, I had my first day of high school....again.  
View Quote

Good God!  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Congratulations, that's a great career.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Thank you for your service, OP.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for giving your time and energy to our country!

I wish you a long and happy retirement!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Thank you for standing guard for all of those years.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Very cool.

Thanks for serving.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Thank you for your service and enjoy your retirement.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

South end of Minnieville Rd in Woodbridge, almost by where it meets 123.
View Quote

That commute probably made A-stan look like a vacation resort.

Congrats!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Congraduations

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for all you did, and may your retirement be a long and pleasant one.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Congratulations on making it through alive, sir!  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Congratulations on your retirement and thank you for your service.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top