User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Word of the day: Polemic

I love it when people who cannot acknowledge their own subjective bias use straw man arguments to discredit other people's thoughts on a subject, which is always stated in a manner that suggests emotion is being used in place of logic. And that, the polemicist believes to be true, because his subjective perceptions disallow him from reasoning that any contrary position to his has any logical merit based on critical evaluation of circumstances, both relevant to the point of discussion as well as surrounding factors that have bearing on the topic. No, instead their thoughts must originate from illogical and emotional reactions, and the discourse must be won by the fragile polemicist, as defeating the enemy is the only objective, as opposed to coming to some higher understanding... that is, unless the higher understanding is the intellectual capitulation of the opponent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The amount of veteran posters on here calling for someone to be locked in a cage based on emotion, not rule of law, is sad. Very reminiscent of militant BLM people calling for "justice" or gun grabbers calling for confiscation.

I love it when people who cannot acknowledge their own subjective bias use straw man arguments to discredit other people's thoughts on a subject, which is always stated in a manner that suggests emotion is being used in place of logic. And that, the polemicist believes to be true, because his subjective perceptions disallow him from reasoning that any contrary position to his has any logical merit based on critical evaluation of circumstances, both relevant to the point of discussion as well as surrounding factors that have bearing on the topic. No, instead their thoughts must originate from illogical and emotional reactions, and the discourse must be won by the fragile polemicist, as defeating the enemy is the only objective, as opposed to coming to some higher understanding... that is, unless the higher understanding is the intellectual capitulation of the opponent.

I had to google that word, thanks for teaching me something new
Most of the posts I've made in this thread don't have any personal opinion. That one does, and of course I'm biased. Everyone enters the debate with bias.  doesn't make me wrong, tho
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Nope.  In this case it's a wry commentary on the facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean 'facts'. The DA said the officers story was a lie (not substantiated by the investigation, witnesses, or car telemetry), not me.

From the linked article:
In a statement taken at the scene, Wood claimed that Olin had veered into his lane. The DA reported that the opposite was true.

That does not say the DA said the officer lied.

Not substantiated by investigation now means intentional lie?  Really?

It probably was just an honest misunderstanding since he was driving his car down the bike path.

I think that's supposed to be a witty retort but frankly I'm not positive.............

Nope.  In this case it's a wry commentary on the facts.

Bike path /=/  bike lane

Most of you know I ride bicycles and am one of the evil libtard bicycles belong on the road not the sidewalk brigrade.  Does it cause some of you think when I'm saying no charges against someone that killed a cyclist who by all reports was following the rules of the road?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The facts of this case apparently don't support that charge. It's that simple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may be right. But the Deputy didn't break that law, and I'd like to think you're not in favor of ex post facto prosecution.

Accountability will be had in civil court, I'd wager.

Where did I say he should be ticketed for operating his computer?  I'm saying that he should be tried for driving in the bike lane and killing a rider in a reckless and negligent manner.

The officer drove into the bike lane and hit a rider with a vehicle that was in control and had no mechanical failures.

What facts do you see that remove that from the realm of negligance?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you're involved in a fatality on duty you don't write a report and do the investigation yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Police falsifying their reports is not a crime in CA? I find that difficult to believe.

If you're involved in a fatality on duty you don't write a report and do the investigation yourself.

We weren't allowed to do the report on any accident we were involved in at work, Sgt. or Lt. had to do it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I appreciate the answers, thank you.  Does involuntary manslaughter enter the equation?  We know he didn't intend to strike the bicyclist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, I'm not shocked.  Not one bit. Oh really..............

Three easy questions, Brian.

Do you think the officer should be charged? No - I don't think PC has been met for voluntary manslaughter.  I don't recall hearing of manslaughter charges for no LE drivers when distracted by things like adjusting the radio - actions that are not specifically prohibited by statute.  Maybe they're out there.

What charge? See above

What should happen to the officer for outright lying? How can I be more clear than what I've posted multiple times already in this thread?  If he or any other cop knowingly lied fire him/them.  The "evidence" presented in this thread so far does not meet the "knowingly" threshold.

I appreciate the answers, thank you.  Does involuntary manslaughter enter the equation?  We know he didn't intend to strike the bicyclist.

I don't think so but I'm not a lawyer - and it appears at least some of the lawyers in this thread think it might be a possibility.  Obviously, the DA doesn't think it does.

RDP had a pretty good reply on it within the last couple of pages.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
So if I nail someone in my car because I was texting/emailing for work, it would be ok?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So if I nail someone in my car because I was texting/emailing for work, it would be ok?
View Quote

Are you a CA cop?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Most of the posts I've made in this thread don't have any personal opinion. That one does, and of course I'm biased. Everyone enters the debate with bias.  doesn't make me wrong, tho
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The amount of veteran posters on here calling for someone to be locked in a cage based on emotion, not rule of law, is sad. Very reminiscent of militant BLM people calling for "justice" or gun grabbers calling for confiscation.

It's fun to say aloud too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The officer drove into the bike lane and hit a rider with a vehicle that was in control and had no mechanical failures.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may be right. But the Deputy didn't break that law, and I'd like to think you're not in favor of ex post facto prosecution.

Where did I say he should be ticketed for operating his computer?  I'm saying that he should be tried for driving in the bike lane and killing a rider in a reckless and negligent manner.

The LA District Attorney probably needed an 800-1000 page report to answer a similar question. It wouldn't be reasonable for me to give you an accurate answer based on your stated scenario.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We weren't allowed to do the report on any accident we were involved in at work, Sgt. or Lt. had to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Police falsifying their reports is not a crime in CA? I find that difficult to believe.

Same with us, but we call the highway patrol to do ours
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By George, you're right
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The LA District Attorney probably needed an 800-1000 page report to answer a similar question. It wouldn't be reasonable for me to give you an accurate answer based on your stated scenario.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sounds at the very least "reckless driving" and possibly "manslaughter", no?

Do we need laws to spell out every. single. bad. thing.?  Because then we just end up with too many fucking laws.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The texting law is fairly new.  Could people not be held negligent if they killed someone texting before it was specifically made illegal?

Do we need laws to spell out every. single. bad. thing.?  Because then we just end up with too many fucking laws.

Have you bothered to look at how many laws we already have. We have that many because, Yes, every single little thing needs to be spelled out in painstaking detail because that is how the law works.

If it is not written it is not something that the law can touch.

Poking a badger with a fork may be wrong but unless the law is written in such a way as to describe and prohibit forking a badger, it is not illegal.

Nation of laws not men/honor/morality/etc

Better to kill all the lawyers and institute trial by combat or citizen's revolutionary council courts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You seem to be basing your argument/disagreement on mistruths and misunderstandings
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, disagreeing with the LA prosecutor's office over the interpretation of the statute on negligence is emotion. Absolutely.

You seem to be basing your argument/disagreement on mistruths and misunderstandings

I may be mistaken about other officers making false reports, but that doesn't change the nature of the statute.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

By George, you're right
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The amount of people who think that being exempted from one law means its legal to run people over when hey are driving distracted is sad.

If that's the actual end state of the law then the LE exception needs to be removed next legislative session.

If you're referring to me I haven't given any personal opinion on that law. Myself and most of the posts I've seen are just explaining what the law is. Don't confuse explaining with agreeing.

I know.  This exemption just shouldn't exist because one simply can't safely we a computer and drive at the same time.  This case proves it and the family will not see the negligent party held accountable for his actions because of a bizarre transitive property of the statute.

No one is calling for him to be prosecuted for using his device (which the law provides an exemption for) rather we are saying that his legal act was done in a negligent manner.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#18]
the front seat of a patrol car is a very dynamic situation which most civilians would find too complex to understand let alone comprehend.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I may be mistaken about other officers making false reports, but that doesn't change the nature of the statute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, disagreeing with the LA prosecutor's office over the interpretation of the statute on negligence is emotion. Absolutely.

Sounds like your crusade is against the politicians and lawyers, not the cops
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No one is calling for him to be prosecuted for using his device (which the law provides an exemption for) rather we are saying that his legal act was done in a negligent manner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The amount of people who think that being exempted from one law means its legal to run people over when hey are driving distracted is sad.

If that's the actual end state of the law then the LE exception needs to be removed next legislative session.

If you're referring to me I haven't given any personal opinion on that law. Myself and most of the posts I've seen are just explaining what the law is. Don't confuse explaining with agreeing.

I know.  This exemption just shouldn't exist because one simply can't safely we a computer and drive at the same time.  This case proves it and the family will not see the negligent party held accountable for his actions because of a bizarre transitive property of the statute.

An a civil trial jury will punish the tax payers for his negligence if the county doesn't buy off the dead guy's family with tax payer money first.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Well, my opinion is that Balog is getting hung up on and having his thinking colored on it based on the wrong assumption that the involved parties committed widespread perjury
View Quote

The perjury is secondary to the negligence.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
the front seat of a patrol car is a very dynamic situation which most civilians would find too complex to understand let alone comprehend.  
View Quote

Naw it's pretty simple. Most people can learn thier way around it in a day or two
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, my opinion is that Balog is getting hung up on and having his thinking colored on it based on the wrong assumption that the involved parties committed widespread perjury

Perhaps you should run for DA next election
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sorry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.

When all else fails an old fashioned appeal to authority is involked.

Its funny, the just explaining crowd is really good explaining how the cop in question shouldn't be held accountable but are frequently silent on explaining how a cop in an article should be found accountable.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please expand upon this statement and how it relates to this specific incident.  Also, explain how it differs from "those" (TM) / "most civilians" that couldn't possibly comprehend the complexity of the inside of a police cruiser, while in their own vehicles, with their own doodads...

I'm genuinely curious as to what you mean by your statement.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Have you bothered to look at how many laws we already have. We have that many because, Yes, every single little thing needs to be spelled out in painstaking detail because that is how the law works.

Poking a badger with a fork may be wrong but unless the law is written in such a way as to describe and prohibit forking a badger, it is not illegal.

Better to kill all the lawyers and institute trial by combat or citizen's revolutionary council courts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The texting law is fairly new.  Could people not be held negligent if they killed someone texting before it was specifically made illegal?

We have laws regarding negligent homicide.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Naw it's pretty simple. Most people can learn thier way around it in a day or two
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A day or two?

Its a car, not a 777.  Hell, I've had to drive and operate fire engines after spending all of fifteen minutes getting my bearings.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crusade? Lol. So if a cop commits murder and the DA decides not to prosecute him, I should only be upset at the DA not the cop? Interesting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No thanks, I'd rather avoid that shithole of a state.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

if i am answering a work related email on my phone, and i hit and kill someone, i'm good to go?

ar-jedi
View Quote

Apparently so.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Please expand upon this statement and how it relates to this specific incident.  Also, explain how it differs from "those" (TM) that couldn't possibly comprehend the complexity of the inside of a police cruiser, while in their own vehicles, with their own doodads...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please expand upon this statement and how it relates to this specific incident.  Also, explain how it differs from "those" (TM) that couldn't possibly comprehend the complexity of the inside of a police cruiser, while in their own vehicles, with their own doodads...

I believe he is being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Its funny, the just explaining crowd is really good explaining how the cop in question shouldn't be held accountable but are frequently silent on explaining how a cop in an article should be found accountable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.

Perhaps I think you're right and he should have been charged
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'm not normally a cop basher, but if I did that exact same thing, I'd be typing this from jail.

Hope the family gets a decent settlement.
View Quote
This. 100% this.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Crusade? Lol. So if a cop commits murder and the DA decides not to prosecute him, I should only be upset at the DA not the cop? Interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think this was murder?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's pretty nice here today
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And those laws have elements that must be met (read PC) in order to make an arrest.  Then it has to be proven BRD in order to get a conviction.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the entire state of Washington is Utopia?  Right..................
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What are we allowed to say about this??
View Quote

Nothing

Well, I guess we are allowed to say the bike was at fault for being there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Are you a CA cop?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you a CA cop?

Mastershield, don't leave home without it.

Txl
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Perhaps I think you're right and he should have been charged
View Quote

Stranger things have happened.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good, fuck bicycles, fuckin riding in their proper lanes and shit.

Good manslaughter.

I think you need to calibrate your meter
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And those laws have elements that must be met (read PC) in order to make an arrest.  Then it has to be proven BRD in order to get a conviction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cop was driving. Bike was in bike lane. Cop hit bike. Bike rider dead.

What more is needed?

I don't care what cop was doing in the car, it doesn't even matter.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A day or two?

Its a car, not a 777.  Hell, I've had to drive and operate fire engines after spending all of fifteen minutes getting my bearings.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A day or two?

Neither of those posts were serious
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They 'punished' him by finally giving him the transfer he'd been asking for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cop wasn't fired, but did get some unspecified 'discipline.'

He must have remembered to yell, "Stop resisting!" while driving over the cyclist.

I think that means he gets to patrol in the ghetto now, that might be a good punishment.

Wood is still employed as a sheriff’s deputy, though he transferred from patrol to the courts division shortly after the incident, having made the request about a year earlier.

They 'punished' him by finally giving him the transfer he'd been asking for.

Well I''m running out of silver linings.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shark's in the water. Our shark
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A day or two?

Recalibrated.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What more is needed?

View Quote

Congratulations!!!!!!!  You've proven the cop was at fault and responsible for the death of Olin.  You have yet to prove a crime was committed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Please expand upon this statement and how it relates to this specific incident.  Also, explain how it differs from "those" (TM) / "most civilians" that couldn't possibly comprehend the complexity of the inside of a police cruiser, while in their own vehicles, with their own doodads...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

#dynamiccopsituations

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Running someone over in the bike lane isn't against the law? Really....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Congratulations!!!!!!!  You've proven the cop was at fault and responsible for the death of Olin.  You have yet to prove a crime was committed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What more is needed?

I don't give a damn about the He's more capable the everybody else, "On duty exemptions" from the law, whether he is ever charges or not, he is still just as guilty of distracted driving as Joe Nobody would be.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top